• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well ES21's problem is it had a good ending and then editorial pressure, or so I assume, forced him to stretch it out another arc where everything went to shit.

bobohoro

You're welcome! I'd advise skipping The Orc Bride, but enjoy otherwise~

But your short descirptions made it seem like that one was the best.
I'm confused.

Oh and Bleach was worse, most because it actually had some good points and characters I cared about to an extent, somewhere in the beginning. And even if I knew everything was shit for years, I still had some hope to get one or two nice ending panels. Turned out well, that one.

Fairy Tail was shit beginning to end, a shrug mangafied.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 71

You just realised now that you did some bold stuff?
Heh.
I quite like her as a character. But then this manga has pleasant and fluffy written all over it.

Tokyo Ghoul:re 133

That turned bad quite quickly.

Implying fairy tail ever had stakes past the first couple arcs

Tartarus did, and that was only two arcs ago, with one of those arcs being like 20 chapters at most.

They fucked a lot of it in retrospect, but a lot of people died that arc, including the entire governing system of the magic world. More importantly, aquarius had what was, at the time, for all intents and purposes, a death scene, forcing Lucy to choose between effectively killing her or letting everyone else die. Which this arc screwed because it threw all that away. Also igneel dying speaks for itself.

I think even more strongly now that Fairy Tail was supposed to end with the Tartarus arc but editors stepped in to make him stretch it out because of popularity.

Fairy tail should have ended with the 5 dragons fighting alongside the dragon slayers, weakening acnologia but all dying in the process, and the slayers finishing him. Zeref would have been dealt with using fairy heart in some manner back then and the manga could have been a hundred chapters shorter but with a better ending (egregious because she's erza aside).

Zweizer

Banned
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro ch30

img0000016hsjw.png

Man, fps gamers sure are weird about this stuff. No wonder I've never been able to git gud at shooters.

Yuki can be surprisingly naughty. Too bad they didn't go all the way, lol. It would have been quite the sight.

Hi Score Girl ch43

Street Fighter sure is romantic.

I wonder how far Haruo will go with the Shibuya gang. RIP Guile.

A Kiss and a White Lily ch33

Surprisingly not a yuri chapter, but jeez, Haine had quite a bad personality.

That would have left Zeref and Achnologia unresolved.

We didn't learn anything about Acnologia at all, with what little backstory they did add to him not even in the manga, instead being put in the recent Dragon Cry movie as a short flashback, and what we did learn of Zeref was in a flashback that they could easily have shifted and put in however many chapters it was there. Or they could have made Fairy Tail Zero a few chapters longer to add that backstory to Zeref there, either would have worked.

The entire continent to the west and zeref ruling it really added nothing to the story that couldn't have very easily been applied to his guild of demons with minimal changes, which I still suspect was the plan at one point.

A.J.

Banned
We didn't learn anything about Acnologia at all, with what little backstory they did add to him not even in the manga, instead being put in the recent Dragon Cry movie as a short flashback, and what we did learn of Zeref was in a flashback that they could easily have shifted and put in however many chapters it was there. Or they could have made Fairy Tail Zero a few chapters longer to add that backstory to Zeref there, either would have worked.

The entire continent to the west and zeref ruling it really added nothing to the story that couldn't have very easily been applied to his guild of demons with minimal changes, which I still suspect was the plan at one point.
I meant them being defeated.

I meant them being defeated.

?

Uh, Zeref and Acnologia were both there at the end of the tartarus arc... The manga wouldn't literally have cut off at the end as it was, it would have been written differently with the good guys defeating them there. I literally wrote an basic example of what I would expected for that in the post you quoted, but you edited out.

A.J.

Banned
?

Uh, Zeref and Acnologia were both there at the end of the tartarus arc... The manga wouldn't literally have cut off at the end as it was, it would have been written differently with the good guys defeating them there. I literally wrote an basic example of what I would expected for that in the post you quoted, but you edited out.
Oh yeah, I forgot they were both there at the end of the arc. Nevermind then.

upandaway

Kaguya 32

There were so many things to comment about in this chapter that I kinda just gave up and lost track. They are both so far gone it's scary.

New Game 42

It definitely feels like the author tried programming before. Some of those are spot on.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Attack on Titan 48? to 70 So I recently binged all of Attack on Season 1(It's okay, cool moments but honestly it's kind of overhyped) so I can get to season 2. And holy shit Season 2 was amazing, like.... everything handled so perfectly. One of my favorite seasons of anime in a long time.

So I used that excitement to spur me to catch up on AoT. Just finished the big Historia arc and I liked it a hell of a lot better this time around than when I first read it. The big climax at the end was actually a hell of a lot of fun and Kenny's flashback is surprisingly poignant. I also understood all the titan nonsense a hell of a lot more, especially with all those big end revelations. That might just be the benefit of getting the story in one big consecutive dose in stead of month by month. I'm really curious how the Season 3 is going to be, because boy it's not going to be as good as season 2.

This is around the point where I dropped of AoT so I'm kind of excited to venture into new territory.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
More interesting would be what manga out there had good reception consistently throughout but specifically the ending was badly received (because everyone I saw hated Bleach/Naruto/FT for a big chunk of their run anyway). Can't think of many, there's Yu Yu Hakusho... I haven't read Eyeshield's second half but from comments here I think that one too?

Gantz. It already downhill past osaka arc, but the ending really take the cake.

Liar Game ending was anti climatic. I only hate the ending, so there's that.

Dungeon Meshi 36
This one time they make decent food, and suddenly everything went to shit. I guess this explain why Chilcack freak out when Marcille using dark arts. I wonder if they're still planning to go back now that the cat is out of the back. Kabru probably going to stay silent and see this as a chance to conquer dungeon by staying with Laius

Kaguya 71
Iino didn't say no, so i guess she's open for good old threesome (massaging Pres hand) :^)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
More interesting would be what manga out there had good reception consistently throughout but specifically the ending was badly received (because everyone I saw hated Bleach/Naruto/FT for a big chunk of their run anyway). Can't think of many, there's Yu Yu Hakusho... I haven't read Eyeshield's second half but from comments here I think that one too?

I Am a Hero. Volume 1-16 was very, very strong. Then he gave up. Won't even bother with whatever he does next tbh.

mdubs

Banned

I don't think Eyeshield falls into this category. It may be guilty for going on a bit longer than it needed to (
and peaking with the game where Sena finally beats Shin
), but it's still a good entertaining ride and definitely not bad.

Verelios

I don't think Eyeshield falls into this category. It may be guilty for going on a bit longer than it needed to (
and peaking with the game where Sena finally beats Shin
), but it's still a good entertaining ride and definitely not bad.
I'd argue that ES21 peaked at the Christmas bowl, since thematically​, it resolved all the other character arcs needed that weren't Sena or Monta, while also giving a great place to start an epilogue chapter.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Attack on Titan 70 to present Whelp..... I did not see that coming. That is a really good twist. Like, really good. Also, holy shit at that last big battle. That was incredible. Sucks it won't get the A+ animation treatment until season 4, but damn everything about it was incredible. What this series does so well oppose to other battle stuff is that it gives some serious thought into the tactics of battle, of how it ebbs and flows with given actions. It's almost never a straight up "Who can punch the other better" kind of fight. Just... fuck, just everything about this so far. I'm 100% back in really excited for when the next chapter to drop.

Sandfox

I'd argue that ES21 peaked at the Christmas bowl, since thematically​, it resolved all the other character arcs needed that weren't Sena or Monta, while also giving a great place to start an epilogue chapter.

There was still Panther and his goal of beating Sena and Shin that was set up before the tournament.

Ashen Victor

I really dug the art on this one. The story is serviceable, it kinda reminds me of Sin City somehow instead of a manga.

Basilisk

This is a great ninja manga and I think even for its short run, it did well to make its characters interesting. Shame it had to end the way it did, but I couldn't see it ending any other way. The ninja powers were pretty interesting. I actually want to read more ninja stuff now.

Hinamatsuri (up to volume 9)

Got more hilarious as it went on, and the addition of a couple of characters actually made the manga fresher. I am quite sad I caught up with this one.

Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms

Second time reading this but it's still affecting nonetheless. I re-read this in preparation for the sequel which got a well-received movie released just recently.

Zweizer

Banned
Iris Zero ch41

Toru sure has a lot on his plate.

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch15

Huh, she makes for a surprisingly good dentist.

Romantic too!

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch45

Iinuma is a real bro. Let's hope Ranna won't do anything rash meanwhile.

Boku Girl ch81

The die is cast.

Lain

Fire Punch volume 1
rFzc.jpg

Well now, this was a nice starting volume. It had a bit of everything: people with special powers, a brother and sister who loved each other (the sister loving the brother a bit too much), a little bit of cannibalism, assholes who are easy to hate and a touching pilgrimage of revenge.

Seeing Agni going through all that and keep living, learning to tune out the pain of that never-ending fire burning him away all in the name of his revenge against the man who burned to death his sister and the whole village was touching. I didn't exactly understand the last page of the volume, as it looked like Agni died, his body carbonized at the feet of the man he wants to kill, but that wouldn't make much sense given the manga is called Fire Punch and the fire won't stop burning until it has consumed everything, so I gotta read volume 2 to frame that image better.

Honey volumes 1-2
sFzc.jpg
tFzc.jpg

Honey is the classic girl manga, with the classic characters in a classic school setting. Nothing about it feels original (we have the nice, cute but scaredy cat female protagonist, the heart of gold but scary looking male protagonist, the short and nice looking boy with a shit personality who's also a bit of a tsundere, the cool beauty with a bit of a sadistic side but also nice to the people she likes) and yet it ends up being a pretty good read thanks to good direction and good framing, scenes not taking long to set up and showing the various events and an all around good use of the cast and their interactions, all contributing to make for a surprisingly good experience, reinforcing the idea that you can never judge a book by its cover.

Met My Sister On A Dating Site 10 (END)

At this point, I don't feel like this expanded story added anything of real value over the original short. Having the pair's history left to the imagination might've been preferable to the bland, drawn-out backstory we actually got.

dramatis

The upandaway 4koma

elyetis

Based on the number of time I saw it come up, I would say Usagi Drop.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood

Didn't know what to expect. Got an over-the-top, violent, good vs. evil tale. The art is quite busy, but I'm also surprised on how much text it has. Enjoyed it, and looking forward to the latter ones.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood

Didn't know what to expect. Got an over-the-top, violent, good vs. evil tale. The art is quite busy, but I'm also surprised on how much text it has. Enjoyed it, and looking forward to the latter ones.
Fresh JoJo meat

Enjoy the ride. It's worth it.

Little Witch Academia (Terio ver.) 2-5 (END)

weY27Fm.jpg

Sucy's superiority has never been particularly controversial, but if she's going to grow up to look like her mom then it's game, set + match.

I read the 1st chapter of this like 4 years ago and didn't realise there was more until now. Luckily this was rectified, since each of these self-contained stories was a pretty entertaining read, giving all of the main characters their turn in the spotlight and without wasting its (limited) time on an overarching plot. The most recent LWA manga's apparently based on the anime, so I'll hold off on that for now. Not that there's much of it out anyway.

The upandaway 4koma
Wait, this ended? Did it get cancelled? I wanted to see what happened to wonzo after his face was bitten off.

Zweizer

Banned
Met My Sister On A Dating Site 10 (END)

At this point, I don't feel like this expanded story added anything of real value over the original short. Having the pair's history left to the imagination might've been preferable to the bland, drawn-out backstory we actually got.

But hey, at least we now know that hey've been kissing for a long while. What a precocious pair.

Lily Love vol.4 Bonus

Another demonstration of side character couples being more interesting than the main.

JulianImp

TWGOK - Ch247
Finally caught up! It's been a really fun ride so far, and the focus on longer story arcs now that the main cast has been established has been a nice change of pace (on top of the Jupiter Sisters being put on a bus for the latest arc).

Kinda interesting that Keima chose to disclose the truth about being a real time-traveller (even though Tenri kind of figured something was off when she noticed he hadn't been playing a single game for a while), and the vintage's latest scheme appears to have escalated quite a bit, involving so many kids at school. It's also pretty cool how Elsea finally gets to be useful for a change now that her skills come from the future, so the vintage she's using them against have no way to know what they're up against. Looks like one of them did notice something was slightly off with the body doubles she created, though...

mdubs

Banned
Honey volumes 1-2
sFzc.jpg
tFzc.jpg

Honey is the classic girl manga, with the classic characters in a classic school setting. Nothing about it feels original (we have the nice, cute but scaredy cat female protagonist, the heart of gold but scary looking male protagonist, the short and nice looking boy with a shit personality who's also a bit of a tsundere, the cool beauty with a bit of a sadistic side but also nice to the people she likes) and yet it ends up being a pretty good read thanks to good direction and good framing, scenes not taking long to set up and showing the various events and an all around good use of the cast and their interactions, all contributing to make for a surprisingly good experience, reinforcing the idea that you can never judge a book by its cover.

I enjoy this series as well (am up to volume 5 but have 6 and 7 on my shelf). A nice romance that does a lot of things right. I feel badly because I feel like I would like it more if I wasn't constantly comparing it to Sakisaka's stuff (Strobe Edge, Blue Spring Ride) which I think is just fantastic.

One thing is that although all the Jump discussion is fun, I wish we had more people in this thread reading shojo so I appreciate this post

Zweizer

Banned
Danberu nan kiro moteru? ch1-25 by Sandrovich Yabako & MAAM

Gyaru and her girl friends getting ripped, what's there not to love?

Sakura Hibiki is your average gyaru high school student with a love for food. Sadly, this has a negative effect on her weight, thus she decides to work off the excess calories at the newly opened Silverman gym near her school, where she's joined by several other students (and later, a cosplaying teacher, but shh, that's a secret). Goal: becoming the most ripped gyaru of the world, and dating a hot guy!

Pretty fun, with a likeable cast, and the various explanations for the exercices know how to keep the readers' attention.

Innocent Devil 6
Shame you can't appreciate the view in the dark. You'd think Akane would've been a little less trusting right after the whole experimental medical treatment thing, but evidently Touko didn't invest enough points into her assistant's wisdom. She has another devil as theoretical backup, though from what I've seen of Mei so far, I'm not entirely sure whether she'll help or sit back in the hope that she gets Akane's corpse to experiment on. Especially with her, uh, aversion to being told what to do.

Zansho

Other than this, I've only read Bokurano which was great, so I thought this was going to be a really downer collection of stories but some of this is actually his most uplifting. Some stories are unremarkable, but the best ones are good. My favorite is the ghost story. As an aside, it's weird that it seems some of the art here seems to be better than his work on Bokurano.

upandaway

Flying Witch 33

I imagine that's how the cat apocalypse will start

I love how everyone was freaking out over them. my high school had like millions of trillions of cats everywhere. There was this one bench that was basically cat territory and humans were off limits

Top Bottom