• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for LU tomorrow. NXT can take a nap. LU is on FIRE.

Hasney

Don't forget, the match of the week is tomorrow night:

10426794_808456425870590_2334776425982831975_n.jpg

Possibly, but it might not even be match of the night. Del Rio and Puma are defending their titles on Lucha Underground too, so while I think KO/Balor will be, they're going to give it a run for their money.

Kaladin

Possibly, but it might not even be match of the night. Del Rio and Puma are defending their titles on Lucha Underground too, so while I think KO/Balor will be, they're going to give it a run for their money.

Reports say that KO / Balor is basically a match like they would have had on a special, went about 30 min.

NoRéN

Can't wait for LU tomorrow. NXT can take a nap. LU is on FIRE.
You don't want to see a grown up bully that talks as if trying to do a bad Irish accent wrestle? :)

Yeah, tomorrow's Lucha is good but more importantly it gets us closer another great storyline.

Heel

Team #Safe has no horse in this race. We're going to enjoy the company of our friends and some appropriate wrestling-themed refreshments.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;157333030 said:
You don't want to see a grown up bully that talks as if trying to do a bad Irish accent wrestle?

Yeah, tomorrow's Lucha is good but more importantly it gets us closer another great storyline.

The matches -and- the story are what's so compelling about LU. Definitely looking forward to seeing it tomorrow on my Xbox One w/Sling TV!

If you've never seen this match before, you should probably do something about that;

Billy Robinson vs Nick Bockwinkel - (AJPW 1980/12/11)

Two of the absolute very best in one of the smoothest worked matches you'll ever see. They don't just grab a limb and slap on a hold, they manipulate it, make you see the pressure and as a result the opening 3rd on the mat just breezes by. The middle portion of the match is all Billy, he had such amazing physical charisma and he bumps big for Bockwinkel here. The finishing stretch is perfect and the match is a veritable master class over the course of 30 minutes.

OctoMan

Banned
Watched that last night (well, it took me three tries because I kept waking up and falling asleep) and that main event is legit for one involving a celebrity. Still probably shouldn't have gone on last.

Also Bam Bam can always brag about being in the wrestling match watched by more human beings than any other match...ever.
What match is that?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you've never seen this match before, you should probably do something about that;

Two of the absolute very best in one of the smoothest worked matches you'll ever see. They don't just grab a limb and slap on a hold, they manipulate it, make you see the pressure and as a result the opening 3rd on the mat just breezes by. The middle portion of the match is all Billy, he had such amazing physical charisma and he bumps big for Bockwinkel here. The finishing stretch is perfect and the match is a veritable master class over the course of 30 minutes.

Watching now...haven't seen this one, not AJPW...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I was just watching Bockwinkel promos earlier today.

Nick is kind of the original TMF. The Proto-TMF. More in the Arn Anderson/Suburban Dad sense than a Harley Race sense.

Nick is kind of the original TMF. The Proto-TMF. More in the Arn Anderson/Suburban Dad sense than a Harley Race sense.

I'd say he did a great job of walking the line - he came across as this stylish, confidant, debonair sort of guy, but when he wanted to be he could be as menacing as they come. Bock's probably one of the most underrated guys, I rarely see people talking about him these days and that's probably because he's not the most exciting or flashy of wrestlers, but dammit he was smooth.

NoRéN

The matches -and- the story are what's so compelling about LU. Definitely looking forward to seeing it tomorrow on my Xbox One w/Sling TV!
They make you forget that it all happens in an hour. You actually care about who is fighting and why.

Also, to those that may find the lighting "terrible" on tv, it's done purpose. Remember, this isn't some big budget arena. This is the Temple.

The lighting is perfect in person.

Colocho

Banned
I think Brock is one of the best of all time, but I'm tired of part-time wrestlers. Back in 2000-2005 where I was a huge fan, I don't remember anyone getting special treatment, they all had to have matches on Raw and Smackdown on a regular basis (The Rock, Stone Cold, etc), and that was very fun for me.

Now, I understand guys like HHH, Sting, Taker, Rock have earned their right to fight once or twice a year, but at least they're out of the title picture and their matches are "just for show" which is amusing, but I really don't like having a part-time champ (although I prefer that to having Reigns with the belt).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd say he did a great job of walking the line - he came across as this stylish, confidant, debonair sort of guy, but when he wanted to be he could be as menacing as they come. Bock's probably one of the most underrated guys, I rarely see people talking about him these days and that's probably because he's not the most exciting or flashy of wrestlers, but dammit he was smooth.

He comes off like a former spelunking, nazi fighting action hero who retired and had kids but could turn it on at any moment. I think his lack of notoriety is more that he didn't do much work for Vince or his dad and when he retired, he stayed retired and has mostly been away from wrestling in almost all forms. He's always been a wrestler's wrestler. Jack Brisco is kind of the same way.

He also worked Robinson into a shoot like a jabroni. NB.
David Finlay, son of Fit Finlay, will apparently be heading to the New Japan dojo soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2SO2FtMQY

Vylash

NoRéN;157334533 said:
They make you forget that it all happens in an hour. You actually care about who is fighting and why.

Also, to those that may find the lighting "terrible" on tv, it's done purpose. Remember, this isn't some big budget arena. This is the Temple.

The lighting is perfect in person.

how does that make it better?

Couldn't be happier about Brock staying. The guy is just great at what he does and I feel he would have been wasted going back to UFC (I had no desire to see him fight Mir again)

ghostmind

RE: Brock

Finally, something positive coming out of WWE (not NXT related).

Do we have any idea of the contract details (dates, etc)?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shit, if Billy was shooting, Nick certainly would have very quickly known about it :p

May 8, 1992: Billy Robinson worked a match on a UWFi show against Nick Bockwinkel.
~~~It’s billed as an “exhibition” match, however, Nick hit Billy Robinson in the kidneys with a knee.
~~~Billy Robinson got legit ticked off, to which Bockwinkel replies “It’s a knee, Robinson”.
~~~So Billy holds up his right fist and says loud and clear “I’ll give you one of these in the – – ing jaw!”

Vylash

NoRéN;157335709 said:
Who said it does? Do you need to see the crowd to increase your enjoyment? There are no self indulgent, unfunny signs at Lucha in case you were looking for something to read.

what are you talking about? i'm asking how the lighting choice being on purpose makes it okay

Heel

I dunno, NoRéN. Ever wonder if Lucha Underground was framed as such not as a creative choice, but one out of necessity? Something tells me they would move from "The Temple" to "The Arena" if they had a budget.

Heel

what are you talking about? i'm asking how the lighting choice being on purpose makes it okay

Just spitballing here, but it's possible that they're passing off The Temple as a "dank, dingy dungeon" because they're filming in a shitty warehouse with concrete floors, temporary seating, and a shoestring lighting budget. Something to think about, friends.

Cagey

Banned
Just spitballing here, but it's possible that they're passing off The Temple as a "dank, dingy dungeon" because they're filming in a shitty warehouse with concrete floors, temporary seating, and a shoestring lighting budget. Something to think about, friends.
Kevin Dunn would never demonstrate that sort of ingenuity or artistry though. #firedunn #dunndeal

Top Bottom