• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour Review Thread

TraBuch

Banned
Speaking of Hot Shots Golf, I haven't played one since the first on the PS. What's considered the best HSG game?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Agree, and the GAF Tournament was great.

I'm disappointed that the RPG mode from the GBC game is still missing :(

Ahah, I remember that tournament! Haunted was a freakin' beast!
I so much despised the lag that meant I could NEVER save a power strike (you moved a little hand with the remote's IR to match the ball, easy enough offline but impossible with my connection back then... :p).
'Twas a great fun, first "proper" Nintendo online mp game ever!

kdoll08

Speaking of Hot Shots Golf, I haven't played one since the first on the PS. What's considered the best HSG game?

Really the only one worth playing now that servers are closed on the old ones is Hot Shots Golf 6. It's $20 on ps3 or $14 on ps vita. Both are really fun.

Velcro Fly

There is a demo so you can at least experience the gameplay. And online sounds like a blast if it's true how easy it is to set up a tournament however you want. We are going to have an all Daisy/Peach/Rosalina invitational =P

Griss

It's funny how much that Edge excerpt is like what I posted a couple days ago having played the demo 5-6 times. Toadstool Tour worked as a serious golf game despite some of the crazier elements. From the very first hole here this game seems to be trying for something a little more 'wacky' and I don't think that's the way to go with Mario Golf.

I went back and played a bit of Toadstool Tour again, and just like I remembered it's miles better than what I've experienced of World Tour so far. Even just the way the ball reacts on the green feels better.

I'll obviously need more time to come to a firm conclusion but between that issue and the lack of content + horrible idea of Day 1 DLC, well, I can see why the scores aren't stellar. They're good, because the game looks solid as hell, but they're not stellar like they could have been.

Hope Hot Shots takes a clue and realizes going wacky aint that bad

Good fucking god, no.

EG / Hot Shots has the best course design (by far) of any golf game on the market, and the gameplay is nearly flawless.

kdoll08

Good fucking god, no.

EG / Hot Shots has the best course design (by far) of any golf game on the market, and the gameplay is nearly flawless.

This. The only thing I wish they would really change about Hot Shots is to make the servers worldwide. There are so many more people on the Japanese servers. Hopefully the next game is PS4 and a return to form.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

After playing hotshots, I could not take this game's demo seriously, which is weird because I generally love mario sports titles. But it's the first time i've ever played a mario golf title.

RpgN

The demo wasn't bad, it was solid. The graphics looked great and it was nice to see the courses looking this imaginative.

I still thought 'meh' though, but I think it's more because I've played everybody's golf a lot on the vita not too long ago and this being too similar to it besides being Nintendo themed. It makes sense of course, since it's developed by Camelot.

Maybe when I have the urge to play more golf games in the future, but definitely not right now.

The game seems to be received better than Mario Tennis so far.

sn00zer

At the very least I just hotshots had better golf course set dressing....the realistic looking courses have always clashed with the characters....some minigame would help as well.....the driving range is a ton of fun with all the little targets, wih it was expanded more

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nintendo World Report

Mario Golf: World Tour succeeds in crafting a stellar golfing experience, one that will likely become a mainstay in multiplayer circles for a long time. The single-player portion doesn't seem fully realized, but the golf gameplay in World Tour is top notch and the stellar online tournaments have the potential to keep the experience fresh for a long time. With a nice variety of courses and lots to unlock, this is another fine entry in the long line of Mario sports games.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/25/5650016/mario-golf-world-tour-review

Interesting info:
The game's online component isn't vestigial or underdone — it's part of the game's very core. When you load up the game, the main menu shows a ticker of all available timed online challenges, previewing their requirements and unlockable rewards for participation. You can see exactly how many strokes under par your friends went in each challenge, and chase their ghosts across the course. It has the potential to be relentlessly addicting.

My router is acting up so i am having lots of trouble joining Mario Kart games on my 3DS, i imagine this will be no different.

If i am looking PURELY at Single Player, is this game still such a good bet for me?
Or am i better off getting Hot Shots on Vita then?

Foshy

My router is acting up so i am having lots of trouble joining Mario Kart games on my 3DS, i imagine this will be no different.

If i am looking PURELY at Single Player, is this game still such a good bet for me?

Mario Golf has a few courses more, but you can pick up Hot Shots on Vita for under 10 bucks on EU PSN (not sure how much it is in US).

A lot of reviewers seem to have gotten 15 to 20+ hours out of the single player, and I have no idea how many of those finished all of both the Star Coin and Moon Coin challenges. From there it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.
That said, what kind of issue are you having with the router? Is it an unstable connection or does it appear to be the router's firewall cockblocking you? 'Cuz the later can usually be fixed without getting a new router.

Xater

Yeah that is my dilemma as well. I was really looking forward to this but I would probably not play it online that often. Looks like this game might lack in the SP department just like Mario Tennis did? That would really suck and would turn me off the game despite me really looking forward to it. :(

Gonna read some more reviews to get a better picture of this.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm looking forward to the wackiness. Hot Shots Golf is amazing, but I don't just want another game like it. It'll be nice to have a spectrum from PGA Tour's realistic golf, to Hot Shot's more exaggerated physics and creative designs, to Mario Golf's even more exaggerated physics and crazy powerups and hazards.

Killer

Banned
I might get this. I was wondering how was Mario Tennis on 3ds? I fucking LOVED the N64 one. I prefer tennis personally.

Top Bottom