• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Shahadan

I was playing online with my roommate and his phone rang. He hit Pause (lol) and went with his controller in hand to get his phone. I couldn't control anything anymore, my kart stopped, and I watched helplessly every other online opponent dash before me ;_;
WTF nintendo ! WTF stupid roommate!

I should be able to cancel and play ;(

I was playing online with my roommate and his phone rang. He hit Pause (lol) and went with his controller in hand to get his phone. I couldn't control anything anymore, my kart stopped, and I watched helplessly every other online opponent dash before me ;_;
WTF nintendo ! WTF stupid roommate!

I should be able to cancel and play ;(

Sounds like a weird feature, you'd think pause would just be completely disabled considering it doesn't even do anything but prevent input in an online match. I can't even remember if you've even been able to pause before in MK7 or MKWii when online?

Posted yesterday that I pre-ordered the mario kart deluxe Wii U Bundle.

Today they sms'd that it was in. So I got it, installed the update for the console and played the new cup and the retro cup. This is in the Netherlands btw.

Gonna eat now, roll a joint and play me some MK8

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I see various peeps playing MK8 on my friends list

like, not jealous one bit about it. In fact I just want to hug you, come close

phanphare

Banned
I just called both my localgamestops and they said they havent received an email allowing them to do so. Ive tried everywhere in this freaking town and noone will sell it....I mean Id even give the soul who made it happen a few extra coins for it. I guess my money is useless.

c'mon USA!!! all the cool countries are doing it

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone know if you can watch Miiiverse replays on PC? It would be nice to upload the onje minute version to Youtube and have a link to the full race in the description.

Robin64

Anyone know if you can watch Miiiverse replays on PC? It would be nice to upload the onje minute version to Youtube and have a link to the full race in the description.

Aren't the Miiverse replays just the one minute edited version that also goes on YouTube, though?

AdanVC

I see various peeps playing MK8 on my friends list

like, not jealous one bit about it. In fact I just want to hug you, come close

tumblr_lq6mfdKkLp1qzwqa5.gif

Tiamant

Okay, It's been a while since I've played anything MK related (MK64) so I have a few doubts.

-How do I start with a turbo? I remember nailing it perfectly back in 1997, now it seems impossible.

-Is it me or sometimes I get random speed boosts? Happened twice in the music level while driving in straight line without me doing anything special.

-Can I do, like, something when I'm flying other than change direction? I have the impression that there's a mechanic I'm missing here.

-Why is Bowser's Castle so freaking good?

Kinsei

Banned
Aren't the Miiverse replays just the one minute edited version that also goes on YouTube, though?

Andre from GameXplain said that you could upload full races to Miiverse during the preview that went up the same day as the Direct.

Okay, It's been a while since I've played anything MK related (MK64) so I have a few doubts.

-How do I start with a turbo? I remember nailing it perfectly back in 1997, now it seems impossible.

-Is it me or sometimes I get random speed boosts? Happened twice in the music level while driving in straight line without me doing anything special.

-Can I do, like, something when I'm flying other than change direction? I have the impression that there's a mechanic I'm missing here.

-Why is Bowser's Castle so freaking good?

1. Hold the acceleration about halfway in between 2 and 1.

2. You're drafting your opponent.

3. Nope.

4. Cause it's Bowser's Castle.

Jucksalbe

Banned
How do I start with a turbo? I remember nailing it perfectly back in 1997, now it seems impossible.
I'm not 100% sure on this. You have to accelerate somewhere around when the 2 appears, but there seem to be two variants of boosts.

You get a pretty significant boost when you drive in the slipstream for a while.

Change height.

beta_fuse

No luck in Regina, yet..

Nothing in Montreal yet either. I am currently waiting for my girlfriend to check out a Shoppers Drug Mart that had some nervous/untrained sounding employees when I called. Hopefully one of them slip up and sell her the game. I'm crossing my fingers because this wait is getting bearable.

GAF what have I done... I had a pre-order at my local store and now that I have the game from that Saturn already, the store just called me with a woman on the other end: "Your pre-order for Mario Kart 8 is ready to be picked up on Friday :)" in such a sweet and happy voice... And when I made the pre-order the guy who registered it said: "Well normally we don't really do pre-orders but for my reoccurring customers I do it"

I didn't think about this when I got the game yesterday but now I feel like a huge douchebag, I seriously feel like a ass now a bit :(
I guess I will just go to them on Friday and pick up Mugen Souls Z :(

Xeroblade

Been thinking this too, and I'd also use it for Smash. If not I'll probably just use the Wii mote / nunchuck because that was fine.

You used the Wiimote and nunchuck for MK? I could never get use to that. Classic controller for me, thats why I think I need to pick up the pro controller, plus it will be used for Smash.

looking at my friend's list I have many over a month people I will delete after MK8 launch to make room for more active Gaffers yay

but I won't delete them right now I'll see if they get on for MK8 first

NNID nazaire

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5754590/mario-kart-future-rosters-super-smash-bros

Yabuki added that he had to have series newcomers the Koopalings — Bowser's seven rambunctious minions — all appear together in Mario Kart 8; splitting them all up and only including a few was not an option. The director noted their inclusion was because of their "superb individuality" and unique expressions. These seven have replaced a handful of previously-included characters — Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Diddy Kong — for which Yabuki apologized to their fans.

"We’re always considering ways to make the Mario Kart games more appealing, but I don’t think that just increasing the number of characters would make the game better," he said.

acevans2

I feel like it gets brought up a lot, but I can't seem to find an exact answer to my question about controls-

Is it possible to play MK8 with a Wiimote only, no nunchuk, and steer without motion (i.e. use the d-pad)? If so, how are the rest of the controls mapped?

I'm asking because I have a Wii U gamepad, a Wii U pro controller, and 3x Wiimotes with only one nunchuk. I'm curious if I have to buy another controller/accessory to have a 4th person playing without using motion steering.

I feel like it gets brought up a lot, but I can't seem to find an exact answer to my question about controls-

Is it possible to play MK8 with a Wiimote only, no nunchuk, and steer without motion (i.e. use the d-pad)? If so, how are the rest of the controls mapped?

I'm asking because I have a Wii U gamepad, a Wii U pro controller, and 3x Wiimotes with only one nunchuk. I'm curious if I have to buy another controller/accessory to have a 4th person playing without using motion steering.

Yes, you can play with just a wiimote and steer with the D-pad. I don't remember the controls though. Someone posted them a couple pages back.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5754590/mario-kart-future-rosters-super-smash-bros

Yabuki added that he had to have series newcomers the Koopalings — Bowser's seven rambunctious minions — all appear together in Mario Kart 8; splitting them all up and only including a few was not an option. The director noted their inclusion was because of their "superb individuality" and unique expressions. These seven have replaced a handful of previously-included characters — Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Diddy Kong — for which Yabuki apologized to their fans.

"We’re always considering ways to make the Mario Kart games more appealing, but I don’t think that just increasing the number of characters would make the game better," he said.

why does this interview make is sound so final like there is no plan for DLC?

are they this dense?

Just grabbed a copy from my local Tesco. First time in a while I've seen them breaking dates, and decent stock for a Wii U game for the first time in ages.

Off to boot it up!

r3n4ud

Any Montreal folks get a hold of a copy yet? Tried Valleyfield, Chateauguay, and Vaudreuil. Nothing. Will most likely pick it up digitally anyways.

Sinthetic

Got a reply off Nintendo Store. There's still hope.

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your message.

We can confirm that payment for your order has been taken and it is now currently awaiting dispatch from our warehouse. We anticipate that all orders for Mario Kart 8 should be received either before or on the date of release (May 30th).

Please check your online store account later for updates from our team and any change in status to your order.

Thank you for using our online store and hope you continue to shop with us for all your Nintendo product needs!

Should you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Ryan Lee
Nintendo Customer Support

Porcile

Mine didn't have a last minute miracle dispatch from Amazon UK :( See you all Friday (if Royal Mail doesn't botch it up somehow)

Do games autodownload to USB if one is plugged in?

yeah unless that has changed I have never seen a selection to for it

I do have a huge HDD but since a Japanese Monster Hunter video showed the different load times between external and internal I have been putting the heavy online play ones internally that is until an SSD becomes cheap enough

Top Bottom