• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Dinjooh

Home Button -> Controller Settings.

Now i'm really new to this Wii U console so this might be a dumb question; but how do I turn off the gamepad completely? (As in, it doesn't turn on when I turn on my console)

I use the Pro controller for everything because I really don't like the pad, but whenever I need it, it's drained for battery because somehow it turns itself on.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If they have no DLC strategy for MK8, they must hate money.

Each Mk has needed more tracks always. It's shocking how quickly the typical 32 run dry. Expected a dlc plan here but wtf if not.

Especially with no real customization for them. Night racing? Nope. 150cc adds more obstacles and variants to laps? Nope.

atr0cious

Now i'm really new to this Wii U console so this might be a dumb question; but how do I turn off the gamepad completely? (As in, it doesn't turn on when I turn on my console)

I use the Pro controller for everything because I really don't like the pad, but whenever I need it, it's drained for battery because somehow it turns itself on.

Place it face down and try not to think about it. Or, take the gamepad out of range of the system and turn it off. Walk back to the system while shaking your head at the obtuseness that is Nintendo.

You can't. Using the power button while it's connected automatically turns off both the system and the pad. You can, however, bring it out of range and turn it off.

I've owned every Mario Kart since Super Circuit. 8 is the only one that has a red case.

EDIT: Oh. Well, that's two games with red cases out of eight so far.

some were special editions just like Zelda
with Zelda some Gold were special editions if you did not get the SE you got a gray kart

MK had Red Consoles even IIRC

edit

not sure if I remember how limited these things were checking google the bundles with Red DS Red Wii etc only had regular color karts bundled with them
Red was a part of MK but it seems the red case is new to 8 must be easier then making a Red WiiU

RobotVM

The only way I have found to keep the gamepad off while playing is to move it out of range of the system and then turn the system on with my Pro controller.

Dinjooh

Place it face down and try not to think about it. Or, take the gamepad out of range of the system and turn it off. Walk back to the system while shaking your head at the obtuseness that is Nintendo.

You can't. Using the power button while it's connected automatically turns off both the system and the pad. You can, however, bring it out of range and turn it off.

What - seriously? That's... Uh.. Well I really don't have any words.

Gotta leave it constantly in a charger then for whenever I have 4 people over, god facking dammit.

If I open it and remove the battery, will the console complain?

Duallusion

Mount Wario is so so cool and I'm glad I didn't spoil myself with gazillion videos in the last month. It's a joy to experience all of these tracks for the very first time. What jaggies? What 59fps? All I see is pretty colors and awesomeness.

Robin64

What - seriously? That's... Uh.. Well I really don't have any words.

Gotta leave it constantly in a charger then for whenever I have 4 people over, god facking dammit.

If I open it and remove the battery, will the console complain?

It's the main controller for the system and many of the functions outright require it. Leave it in the dock if you're not using it and forget about it.

mrhej

There's one 70 score for Mario Kart 8 on Metacritic and people have.... reacted to it.

PhWg52l.png

AdanVC

I just made a casual call to the store where I made the preorder to see if they are already selling it and nope. "Until friday. We're opening an hour early for that by the way" Sigh... I want to play right naw! Oh well, less than 48 hours.

daydream

Banned
The new tracks are amazing. Retro selection is also pretty good, with only a few headscratchers.

So, GAF competitions starting on Friday or is there a lobby at the moment?

Khrno

If you are getting the TShirt then you won't get a photo. Photos are only sent when the automated packing machine packs the game. These would have been packed by hand due to the TShirts

I have my despatch email and Text now. First Class Signed for usually arrives next day for me

I thought it was something like that, since those 2 games are the only ones bigger than the usual game box that I've gotten from them. Thanks for the confirmation.

Nharox

Neo Member
I'm super happy right now. I went to Saturn after work and they also had a few copies in stock. Just finished all cups on 100cc and tried a few online matches. The game is amazing, everything's so well done!

In my last match I've used the piranha plant and
it swallowed the Blooper item
! That was unexpected.

I really hope they have plans for DLC, it's the perfect game for it. And I'd love to see something like colour palettes, I want Yoshis in different colours. :(

Btw. this is my first post on NeoGaf, please don't bite me.

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
So if I place an order with best buy that claims I can in store pickup today will they actually let me walk out of the store with it? I've never used bb in store, but the website tells me I could pick up in 45 minutes today.

There's one 70 score for Mario Kart 8 on Metacritic and people have.... reacted to it.

PhWg52l.png

was that not Nintendo World Report that gave it a 7?

don't really care but I still think a 7 is kinda low for as much as they seem to have done with the retro tracks

but it is an opinion and not a 5/10

Great game and it looks the part! When I read the Eurogamer DF analysis I thought...wtf is this 59 fps...nitpicking....but they were right...well...actually some people might not nice it, but I definitely notice that it's not a steady 60...never thought 1 frame was noticeable. I had the same 'problem' with NFS on PS4 btw.Some people had no problems, but I noticed the stutter.

Nevertheless....I'm really enjoying this and the colors are fantastic!

Great game and it looks the part! When I read the Eurogamer DF analysis I thought...wtf is this 59 fps...nitpicking....but they were right...well...actually some people might not nice it, but I definitely notice that it's not a steady 60...never thought 1 frame was noticeable. I had the same 'problem' with NFS on PS4 btw.Some people had no problems, but I noticed the stutter.

Nevertheless....I'm really enjoying this and the colors are fantastic!

I will never understand how the human eye can notice the difference between 59/60
is this really scientifically possible. I should ask the skeptic's guide to the universe

because I am calling this bullshit

if they said it dropped to 43 from 60 maybe I would believe you can notice the difference but from 60 to 59 makes you a damn mutant lol

I don't even walk this steady sober

JCH!

Add me to the group of people who got it early. Finished 50cc and loving it.

FNAC @ Plaça Catalunya in Barcelona has tons (10+) of copies, if anyone's interested.

NWR actually have it 7.5, which is still considered "postitive" according to Metacritic's arbitrary standards, so I guess the crazies didn't care

so 7.0 falls below that below that into mixed lol making it 60 positives 1 mixed and 0 negatives

yeah if I felt like trolling I would be that one mixed reviewer

I don't blame those people

I will never understand how the human eye can notice the difference between 59/60
is this really scientifically possible. I should ask the skeptic's guide to the universe

if they said it dropped to 43 from 60 maybe I would believe you can notice the difference but from 60 to 59 makes you a damn mutant lol

There's a thread on this but it's not a matter of "dropping" as it is a stutter. I noticed it before the Digital Foundry article/thread was made and thought I was imagining it.

In other words, it's not bullshit whatsoever.

Oidisco

I started to notice it too dude. And it's not just simply dropping a single frame, it's a repeated frame which is causing it to stutter a little.

KHlover

Banned
do they add extra details to the replays? I could swear they look better than gameplay stuff

As far as I can tell they don't look better. Sure, a bit of slow-mo is added at times (albeit only very briefly) and you have dynamic camera angles, but that doesn't make the game look drastically better.

I think the reason for the MKTV vids being perceived as better-looking is that fact that you don't have to focus on your character and the track anymore, as a result you notice all the quirky details which are hidden in plain sight during the race :D

There's a thread on this but it's not a matter of "dropping" as it is a stutter. I noticed it before the Digital Foundry article/thread was made and thought I was imagining it.

In other words, it's not bullshit whatsoever.

I started to notice it too dude. And it's not just simply dropping a single frame, it's a repeated frame which is causing it to stutter a little.

the stutter replaced frame makes better sense thanks for correcting the info for me

hope it can be patched

Top Bottom