• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars | OT | another NeoGAF thread about tipping!

Calamari41

41 > 38
If you guys want Nintendo to move forward with the idea of cross-buy for their games, I would suggest slapping down the twenty bucks for this even if you aren't super excited about the game. I would imagine that they're watching this one pretty closely.

TheMoon

why bother?

Retail presence. They released codes-in-a-box versions of NPFC and a bundle of two Mario vs DK games in January here, too. Japan gets real physical versions of Tipping Stars, though.

Anyone know if the Japanese version will be an actual physical cartridge on 3DS?
Is the boxed JP release a game card or is it just a digital code in there?

Yes it will.

also important to point out the game is running and developed on Nintendo's Web Framework.

No cross-save.

That Destructoid review is... odd.

Hoping to see more impressions before jumping in, but this game looks great (especially considering the price).

Anyone want to go halfsies with me on this?

(Would have to be someone who wants the 3ds version as I'm interested in the WiiU version)

EDIT: thanks serupento!!

TheMoon

Neat, and it comes with a bonus WiiU code, right?

All version everywhere do.
2729828-81dqjtwxv5l.jpg
2729837-2.jpg

2729829-8112ml0fbbl.jpg
2729838-mario-dk-tipping-stars-boxart-eu-3ds.jpg

If you guys want Nintendo to move forward with the idea of cross-buy for their games, I would suggest slapping down the twenty bucks for this even if you aren't super excited about the game. I would imagine that they're watching this one pretty closely.
I agree.
I also think the game will last with a built in level editor.

I definitely want more cross-buy games made using the Web interface.

Wait, I'm confused. Will both the Wii U & 3DS versions contain a physical disk & cartridge respectively, along with a DLC code to obtain the other version? Or, is that in Europe & Japan only?
EU version is code only, Japan is getting an actual cart/disc. The Japanese text does say "code included" for the other version.

TheMoon

Wait, I'm confused. Will both the Wii U & 3DS versions contain a physical disk & cartridge respectively, along with a DLC code to obtain the other version? Or, is that in Europe & Japan only?

the you just needed to look at the box arts...it's all right there^^

pariah164

Awesome OT!

The level creation feature seems to be a big thing, but I'm not really interested in making levels. Is there still a lot of content for those of us less creative folk that just want to play the game?

TheMoon

This goes live on the eShop in about an hour, right? Noon EST/9AM PST?

Yes.

Awesome OT!

The level creation feature seems to be a big thing, but I'm not really interested in making levels. Is there still a lot of content for those of us less creative folk that just want to play the game?

8 Worlds (6? levels each) plus bonus stuff. And obviously infinite levels created by the community.

Cartridge/Disc + Code in Japan. Europe only gets codes. US has no retail presence at all.

Exile20

Awesome OT!

Better start tipping then. :)

SMgamer83

Awesome OT!

88 levels in the main game (around 30 of which are QUITE tough)

Plus you can give out tips and unlock 72 stamps while playing other people's levels.

Finally 2 free levels a week for 50 weeks from Nintendo.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm going for the 3DS version, anyone want the WiiU version for $10? Shoot me a PM, I'll buy it tonight around 9pm CST.

JonnyKong

I thought "Nice Tips!" would have been a great OT title, but this one is good too.

(once again), can't believe us UK folk have to wait a while for this.

Am going to purchase this game but dont have a Nintendo eshop card, can I just order it online or would I have to put in my credit card into into the Wii U then download it..how many blocks does this game take on the Wii U?

Am going to purchase this game but dont have a Nintendo eshop card, can I just order it online or would I have to put in my credit card into into the Wii U then download it..how many blocks does this game take on the Wii U?
Yes to the first question.
I think the game is around 1 GB, which I have no clue how that translates to blocks.

Yes to the first question.
I think the game is around 1 GB, which I have no clue how that translates to blocks.

Yes to the ordering it online or yes to needing an eshop card in order to place the order? I dont have one currently but Im willing to use my credit card I would just delete it once done I dont want to risk it being hacked

OmegaFax

I'm thinking about getting the 3DS version only myself. Does anyone want to split the cost and keep the Wii U version?

Thanks truthiness

Yes to the ordering it online or yes to needing an eshop card in order to place the order? I dont have one currently but Im willing to use my credit card I would just delete it once done I dont want to risk it being hacked
Yes, you can use a credit card to order it online.
Also I thought Wii U didn't use blocks. Thanks The Moon for reaffirming it.

BooJoh

My only gripe so far is that the progress isn't shared but user-created levels are semi-shared. What this means is that if you want to unlock all the workshop parts on both systems you're going to need to create levels on both, because tips given to your 3DS profile can't be spent on Wii U and vice versa, but you can't rate or tip your own levels (fine by me) or even save them (I don't get why.)

It's also hard to find your own levels without simply going to Miiverse if you want to play them on your other system, and even then you don't seem to be able to save them to your other system.

I do like that it at least has the option to view levels by friends and followed people. Pushmo World really needed that.

I've created a couple levels so far, if anyone wants to find them or follow me for any future levels I make I'm BooJoh on miiverse.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/BooJoh

My only gripe so far is that the progress isn't shared but user-created levels are semi-shared. What this means is that if you want to unlock all the workshop parts on both systems you're going to need to create levels on both, because tips given to your 3DS profile can't be spent on Wii U and vice versa, but you can't rate or tip your own levels (fine by me) or even save them (I don't get why.)
Wait, really?
So pretty much you have to commit to one system if you want all the features that you unlock?
That is pretty dumb. The lack of cross-saves really hurts this.

Blues1990

Because all the other Mario vs DK games had retail releases in the past...?

The only other games in the series that were digitally released were "Minis March Again!" & "Minis on the Move". Point being, is that I would rather have the choice to purchase the game either at retail or a digital copy, than to be forced to purchase a game that is digital-only in one region. When I heard that Trippin' Stars was going to be the first cross-compatable Nintendo game, and originally wanted to support it, but I can't now with this practice.

TheMoon

The only other games in the series that were digitally released were "Minis March Again!" & "Minis on the Move". Point being, is that I would rather have the choice to purchase the game either at retail or a digital copy, than to be forced to purchase a game that is digital-only in one region. When I heard that Trippin' Stars was going to be the first cross-compatable Nintendo game, and originally wanted to support it, but I can't now with this practice.

The game isn't digital-only in one region. It's digital-only in all regions except Japan.

fernoca

Technically, it is a digital game that will get a retail release in Japan (the additional copy is digital anyway). Europe's retail version is a code in the box.

Should give it a chance, game's great and both for the price of one is still a nice deal.

for those who have purchased the game, is it worth the 20 bucks..gonna buy it but 20 bucks is a little steep but since its for both systems I Guess its worth it, I love games that come with a lot of levels :)

This isn't the first game to do this. FFX-2 and Minecraft on Vita were downloadable codes as well.
Plus in Japan you can cross-buy with an actual retail copy.
Cross-buy is possible on retail games. NoA didn't see the need to publish the game to stores. NoE didn't see the need to make physical versions, but still put it in retail.

TheJoRu

As I only have a Wii U, 20$ feels like a bit much. Level editor seems great, and with a fair amount of base content too, but the production values don't appear to be super high.

Top Bottom