• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars | OT | another NeoGAF thread about tipping!

Anyone willing to split the game cost? I just want the Wii U version.
Edit: Bought the Wii U version. Selling the 3DS version for $10 Amazon credit.

That Dtoid review really cooled my jets. I already know exactly what they're describing. You don't feel like you're actually having fun but rather just doing things without feeling any sense of accomplishment. It's disappointing to me because I was looking forward to some like this since I haven't played this style of M vs DK since the first one came out (well, second game in the series but you get me).

I also wish the Nintendo would return the series to its DK 94 roots.

Exile20

That Dtoid review really cooled my jets. I already know exactly what they're describing. You don't feel like you're actually having fun but rather just doing things without feeling any sense of accomplishment. It's disappointing to me because I was looking forward to some like this since I haven't played this style of M vs DK since the first one came out (well, second game in the series but you get me).

No thread is complete without the " Look at the lowest score review to stop me from buying the game" poster.

BooJoh

So you were really looking forward to this kind of game, you know what it's like and that you enjoy the style, but one reviewer didn't enjoy it so you're out? This is why I don't generally even read reviews, and when I do, it's to see technical aspects of a game or see if it's buggy, etc.

Exile20

The way sharing is done is really nice and incorporates Miiverse very well. Nintendo is getting better and better with this level sharing thing. Really looking forward to Mario Maker.

Seems the best way to earn stars is make/complete levels.
I like this...
Edit: I added people in this thread. I want stars to make some awesome levels.

To access my Mario vs DK stage, follow me on Miiverse (NNID: SoraGoku) and then filter search results in game and select my stage titled "Tough Love". Thank you.

ffdgh

I'm realllly tempted to impulse buy since I do enjoy the series...especially with the cross buy promotion.

Elija2

It sure would be nice if someone were willing to tip me an extra code.

Not really, I just wanted to make that joke.

So you were really looking forward to this kind of game, you know what it's like and that you enjoy the style, but one reviewer didn't enjoy it so you're out? This is why I don't generally even read reviews, and when I do, it's to see technical aspects of a game or see if it's buggy, etc.

The review seems completely reasonable to me. I played the original MvDK2 extensively back when it released and thought ten years later a sequel may be worth a look but reading the review put things in perspective. Nothing unreasonable there. It's just a game after all. Maybe another factor was the $20 price. I see the other Mario vs games are half that on the 3DS e-shop so I feel like I'm being forced to buy both the Wii U and 3DS version in a sense.

Metallix87

GameSpot gave it a 5/10. Ouch!

Link

I'm not surprised. This version of the formula has gotten a bit stale given it's overuse on the DS. I wish they had either gone back to the original GBA game or perhaps followed up on the 3DS game Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move. Still, I'll probably go in for this one sooner or later, gift the 3DS code to my godson, and play the game on my Wii U, because the formula is fun, even if tired.

maxcriden

I'm not surprised. This version of the formula has gotten a bit stale given it's overuse on the DS. I wish they had either gone back to the original GBA game or perhaps followed up on the 3DS game Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move. Still, I'll probably go in for this one sooner or later, gift the 3DS code to my godson, and play the game on my Wii U, because the formula is fun, even if tired.

Y'know, Green Slime, just because I call you pops sometimes jokingly doesn't make me technically your godson (but I'm really flattered).

Blues1990

Technically, it is a digital game that will get a retail release in Japan (the additional copy is digital anyway). Europe's retail version is a code in the box.

Should give it a chance, game's great and both for the price of one is still a nice deal.

Eh, I don't know. I was really turned off with this. Hate to be a stick in the mud, but it really bummed me out.

Muzy72

Banned
I don't know what version I want. I generally play my 3DS way more because I'm never home, but the Wii U version is so pretty! I'm going to sell the other copy.

BooJoh

I don't know what version I want. I generally play my 3DS way more because I'm never home, but the Wii U version is so pretty! I'm going to sell the other copy.

They're pretty close to identical, some of the levels have minor layout changes on 3DS because they wanted to keep them on an unscrolling screen or whatever, there also might be some slight behavior differences in custom levels between versions (I'm not clear on any specifics.) There's no 3D and the top screen/TV just shows a full view of the level, which is obviously going to be far more clear on the TV.

Overall the Wii U version is nicer because of the better graphics, but the 3DS version pulls ahead in portability. You really can't go wrong either way.

Berordn

They're pretty close to identical, some of the levels have minor layout changes on 3DS because they wanted to keep them on an unscrolling screen or whatever, there also might be some slight behavior differences in custom levels between versions (I'm not clear on any specifics.) There's no 3D and the top screen/TV just shows a full view of the level, which is obviously going to be far more clear on the TV.

Overall the Wii U version is nicer because of the better graphics, but the 3DS version pulls ahead in portability. You really can't go wrong either way.

Wait, there are some differences in layout?

I might play through both after all. Started the 3DS version on break at work and I'm digging it, outside of the whole "it's basically an amalgam of ideas left over from Mini-Land Mayhem."

BooJoh

Wait, there are some differences in layout?

I might play through both after all. Started the 3DS version on break at work and I'm digging it, outside of the whole "it's basically an amalgam of ideas left over from Mini-Land Mayhem."

They don't affect the solutions to the puzzles, but the 3DS levels are modified for space constraints. Here's a video showing some side-by-side comparisons. http://youtu.be/J5w9_SmZnu4

Berordn

You couldn't possibly be more wrong. It's definitely interesting reading what people think is going on, compared to knowing what is actually going on.

So far it's mostly the same themes and mechanics as Mini-Land Mayhem, so it's not really unfair to be drawing comparisons to that, is it?

I like it, but it's hard to deny that it feels like it's an extension of the ideas from that game rather than its own thing opposed to its kin in Minis March Again or Minis on the Move.

They don't affect the solutions to the puzzles, but the 3DS levels are modified for space constraints. Here's a video showing some side-by-side comparisons. http://youtu.be/J5w9_SmZnu4

Interesting. Looks like as a result the stages play much faster on the 3DS version and that might make it less of a slog on the later levels.

TheMoon

When you play Halo 2, is it simply "left over ideas" because most of the enemies and weapons are the same? Of course not.

It's been 4-5 years since Mini-Land Mayhem, which was a pretty fun game people enjoyed. So Nintendo revisits those mechanics, while also adding new objects and refinements. Is that a bad thing?

There are brand new objects (Cursed Mini-Mario, Cannon Kong...and no these weren't left over ideas), there are objects that weren't in Mini-Land Mayhem, but were in past versions making a return (Pink Blocks, Color Switches), and some objects got quite a few refinements (Blue Ladders became Blue elevators, Magnets got switches). All of this adds up to the culmination of everything before it, and becomes the definitive version of the series.

And that's all ignoring the UGC area, which with Miiverse is pretty cool.

It's an easy victim for lazy reviews. It's not "exciting" and just refines/updates a proven concept from a few years ago in a safe, "small" game. Assign review to someone who doesn't particularly care in the first place and there you go. Another reason why most reviews are simply useless.

Anyway, I'm still excited to pick up my PAL copy in a few weeks.

It's been 4-5 years since Mini-Land Mayhem, which was a pretty fun game people enjoyed. So Nintendo revisits those mechanics, while also adding new objects and refinements. Is that a bad thing?
Yeah, it is a bit terrible Call of Duty can do this and get good reviews but when Nintendo does it, they get 5/10.
The reviewers are totally ignoring the workshop and community stuff which is unique.
Example: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2
Game is not innovative, but fun ... 9/10.

No retail release, no buy, Nintendo. Shame, would have liked a successor to Mini-land Mayhem!, which I'd argue is the best entry in the entire series. Mario VS DK on the GBA was good, but it was basically a slightly weaker retread of the already remarkable Donkey Kong 1994. At least Mini-Land Mayhem! is its own thing entirely.

TheMoon

Yeah, it is a bit terrible Call of Duty can do this and get good reviews but when Nintendo does it, they get 5/10.
The reviewers are totally ignoring the workshop and community stuff which is unique.
Example: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2
Game is not innovative, but fun ... 9/10.

They were ignoring it because it wasn't live yet when they wrote their reviews. They just posted their reviews as soon as the embargo dropped.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I haven't played a Mario vs. Donkey Kong game since the first one, and I'm really enjoying this so far. I've actually spent most of my time playing user created levels, which bodes well for the potential longevity of the game. As long as people keep making content, I can see myself going back to this game every now and then for a long time.

bumpkin

So how does this "code" thing work? Do you get an email or does something pop up in Club Nintendo?

I don't think I've ever gotten an email receipt for an eShop purchase.

Calamari41

41 > 38
So how does this "code" thing work? Do you get an email or does something pop up in Club Nintendo?

I don't think I've ever gotten an email receipt for an eShop purchase.

When you buy the game on the eShop, it gives you the code on the "purchase confirmed" screen. It does store the code for you too, somewhere in the options... maybe in the previous downloads or something. I forget exactly. But on that same "purchase confirmed" screen, it tells you exactly where it's stored.

Top Bottom