• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars | OT | another NeoGAF thread about tipping!

JonnyKong

Completed the first four worlds so far, really enjoying it.

I tried quickly to make my own level, but I don't think I have the creativity or patience to make anything good.

TheMoon

Played a level designed by an online buddy of mine and it totally whooped my ass. It was one of those perfect-timing reliant ones. Micro-manage two characters separately with limited purple blocks that complicated stairs that require lots of micro. Damn.

JoeM86

Completed the first four worlds so far, really enjoying it.

I tried quickly to make my own level, but I don't think I have the creativity or patience to make anything good.

Yeah. With this, and Mario Maker later this year, I think I'll find myself playing levels more than making.

TheMoon

I just don't have the creativity for it. I'll be looking for cool levels, but not ones that are ridiculously rom-hack level difficult.

I think it's easier to make good/fun Mario/platforming levels than making a good puzzle level due to the action-based nature of platforming games. You can have little design skill and still get some fun out of a slightly borked level you made whereas a boring puzzle level is just boring.

JoeM86

I think it's easier to make good/fun Mario/platforming levels than making a good puzzle level due to the action-based nature of platforming games. You can have little design skill and still get some fun out of a slightly borked level you made whereas a boring puzzle level is just boring.

True enough.

I do have one gripe with this game. Lack of amiibo support. Would have been awesome to scan an amiibo and get access to a Mini for that character in the stage builder.

Ninja Dom

Not much action in this thread.

Anyway I managed to get a download code for the Wii U version off eBay for £10.

Just gone through the first world and it seems like a nice enough game. I haven't played a Mario vs Donkey Kong game since the very first one on GBA, 10 years ago.

It seems well polished and I can see the game can get difficult very quickly. I'm looking to get into level editing once I'm better at the game.

Shame there isn't an intro or any cutscenes and the loading seems quite long too.

Dimentios

No love for this game. :(

I finished the main 6 worlds (plus the two E-Worlds) with three stars in each level. The three bonus Worlds are next. My levels are barely played, only the FREE STARS OMG ones are being played.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

probably true. but I hope Mario maker will have tons of good levels done by others anyway, so I can download them

True enough.

I do have one gripe with this game. Lack of amiibo support. Would have been awesome to scan an amiibo and get access to a Mini for that character in the stage builder.

that would have been good!

Does anybody know if you get (european) Club Nintendo stars for both 3DS and Wii U version? Also is there any difference between the versions?

TheMoon

Does anybody know if you get (european) Club Nintendo stars for both 3DS and Wii U version? Also is there any difference between the versions?

of course you get them for both, they're separate games on separate platforms. that always gives you.

there are no differences other than level layouts being adapted to fit the screen size.

Mael

I have no idea why this series is so entertaining to play for me while it looks so mundane.
I hope it's better than the 3D one with overhead view and more like the last DS one with sharing level and everything...
I mean in term of fun and evrything.

Mael

I hope this double post is ok...
Bought the game(s) and to quote myself :
My very first level :
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFEOvbiiw

zlCfzTQd7dkYRAS1kk

Made on 3DS.

I'll try to regularly make levels.
But damn most levels on miiverse are mere rides, really disappointting.
I mean you really just watch the toys advance and you have nothing to do.

Shiggy

Someone interested in half buying? I only want Wii U version, pm me, thanks

Still interested? I've got a code for the EU version.

I believe the biggest levels fill the top screen. My guess is they didnt want to stretch the art to keep it looking high quality, but needed enough space for large levels.

It's just your guess? Wouldn't you know it for sure as the game's director?

Well since thread this was bumped, I might as well post in it.

I am thinking of getting the game... I remember seeing The Bit Block's video of this game when it first came out. I decided not to get it because of the $20 price tag, and I only have a 3DS, not a Wii U. But now I'm thinking about getting it again, after I got some badges in the Badge Arcade from this series. I like the look of mini- Mario.

So, is this game worth it if I only have a 3DS? And it's not too hard is it? I'm not really too great at puzzle games.

Find someone that wants the Wii U version and see if they'll split the cost with you.

Well they have a Wii U at my Uncle's house so I was thinking if I get it, I can download it on the Wii U at their house. I was thinking of trying one of the other games in the series first though.

maxcriden

Whoa, I'm really proud of my thread title here. That probably sounds silly but tbh I forgot all about it.

I still need to play more of this game. Whenever I see the badge stickers I remember how much I like the art style of the minis in this one, esp. Toad and DK.

Shiggy

Well since thread this was bumped, I might as well post in it.

I am thinking of getting the game... I remember seeing The Bit Block's video of this game when it first came out. I decided not to get it because of the $20 price tag, and I only have a 3DS, not a Wii U. But now I'm thinking about getting it again, after I got some badges in the Badge Arcade from this series. I like the look of mini- Mario.

So, is this game worth it if I only have a 3DS? And it's not too hard is it? I'm not really too great at puzzle games.

The core levels are very easy to complete and to even get a golden crown on your first attempt. Some of the bonus levels are rather challenging though.

The community levels are pretty bad I think. In lots of levels you do not need to do anything, the levels are won without user interaction. It's rather difficult to find good levels.

The core levels are very easy to complete and to even get a golden crown on your first attempt. Some of the bonus levels are rather challenging though.

The community levels are pretty bad I think. In lots of levels you do not need to do anything, the levels are won without user interaction. It's rather difficult to find good levels.

Thanks. Well, I bought a 20$ eshop card but I was thinking of getting the DSi game (minis march again, I think?) first because it's cheaper and has the same idea of gameplay.

BooJoh

Thanks. Well, I bought a 20$ eshop card but I was thinking of getting the DSi game (minis march again, I think?) first because it's cheaper and has the same idea of gameplay.

Just remember, Minis March Again won't have any of the online stuff since DS/Wii networks were shut down.

If you're an amiibo collector it might also be worth waiting for the new game, which is likely to be "Free to Start" in the west, with Mario/DK related amiibo each unlocking new worlds.

FWIW though, Tipping Stars has some levels that will make you scratch your head for a while especially if you're going for gold ranks (getting every coin, etc in one run of a level) and sometimes you have to act really fast to get your minis through in a timely manner. You can rearrange level parts before starting, but as soon as one of your minis starts walking the timer starts and you have to keep them safe.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Just so you know, Tipping Stars' "cross-buy" is just Nintendo giving you codes for both versions of the game, so you could always just sell/trade the version you don't want, or split the cost of the game with someone who wants the other code, or something.

Shiggy

It might also be cheaper to buy the retail version. I sold my Wii U code for 10 EUR and thus effectively paid -0.20 EUR for the 3DS version.

Just so you know, Tipping Stars' "cross-buy" is just Nintendo giving you codes for both versions of the game, so you could always just sell/trade the version you don't want, or split the cost of the game with someone who wants the other code, or something.

I just bought the 3DS version of Tipping Stars. If anyone wants to buy my Wii U download code for $10, please PM me.

Edit: I sold my code. Enjoying the game!

Top Bottom