• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars | OT | another NeoGAF thread about tipping!

My second created level:

zlCfzTFm2eUt47Ep22

My Friends List is full, but you can follow me if you'd like to play it.

Correct, and its really annoying. Hope they fix that with an update soon.

Yeh I'm having a hard time getting my levels 'noticed'. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for people who don't have many friends or followers.

On a slightly different note, I do like that you can browse Miiverse normally outside of the game and if you see a level that looks interesting, there's a button you can tap to launch the game and play it.

So the only way to find someone's level is to follow them? There is no search by author or title?

If you're friends with the person then you can just sort by "Friends."

Speaking of which, if we aren't friends please add me so we can see each other's levels. I've made eight so far and I think they're pretty great. ;)

Wii U name: evilromero

In fact, should we have a 'Level sharing' thread? People can post a screenshot of their level along with their Miiverse profile like I did a few posts up, and people can decide to follow that person if they want to play that level.

Or we could just use this thread?

JonnyKong

Is the game good then you guys? As in, the bulk of the single player missions. I'm a bit of a Mario V DK Virgin really besides that isometric 3DS version that came out...two years ago(?!)

JonnyKong

Ha sorry I meant the main puzzle mission things.

All you guys seem to be talking about is the level creator and what a pain it is to search for levels etc, nobody seems to be talking about the actual game, if you get me.

Ha sorry I meant the main puzzle mission things.

All you guys seem to be talking about is the level creator and what a pain it is to search for levels etc, nobody seems to be talking about the actual game, if you get me.

Ok, it's just a little addicting to create levels and share them! Also interesting to play GOOD ones that other people have made!

As for the regular game, there isn't a great deal different that I can tell if you've played one of the games of this type before, but that's not a bad thing really. If you like puzzle games and want to give your brain a workout, then it's all good so far.

JonnyKong

Sounds good to me :) like I said in a previous post, this will be my first 2d Mario versus DK outing so to hear the game is a good'n pleases me so.

maxcriden

Sounds good to me :) like I said in a previous post, this will be my first 2d Mario versus DK outing so to hear the game is a good'n pleases me so.

I haven't played it yet but the game is in the mold of the Mario vs. DK DS series continuation of the original DK '94 (GB) and MVDK (GBA). In those latter two games, you play directly as Mario, and in this current series (which continues with this game and had several DS entries) you control the environment to lead the Mini Mario toys to a goal. If you play this game and end up lovin' it, I highly recommend checking out the prior entries (as well as its predecessors which were pretty darn awesome).

TheMoon

I haven't played it yet but the game is in the mold of the Mario vs. DK DS series continuation of the original DK '94 (GB) and MVDK (GBA). In those latter two games, you play directly as Mario, and in this current series (which continues with this game and had several DS entries) you control the environment to lead the Mini Mario toys to a goal. If you play this game and end up lovin' it, I highly recommend checking out the prior entries (as well as its predecessors which were pretty darn awesome).

It's also kind of a spiritual successor to Mario & Wario, that Japan-only Super Famicom game you played with the SFC Mouse. Nobody ever talks about that. Wario drops a bucket on Mario and the player has to make sure Mario gets to the exit safely and has to manipulate the environment with the mouse. It's pretty much the direct predecessor to Tipping Stars and the like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNEKxK1lCaI

maxcriden

It's also kind of a spiritual successor to Mario & Wario, that Japan-only Super Famicom game you played with the SFC Mouse. Nobody ever talks about that. Wario drops a bucket on Mario and the player has to make sure Mario gets to the exit safely and has to manipulate the environment with the mouse. It's pretty much the direct predecessor to Tipping Stars and the like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNEKxK1lCaI

Oh, I always forget about that game. I only have a vague familiarity with it.

One day Nintendo needs to somehow just drop VC of all of the FC/SFC exclusives en masse. I know it's ridiculously unlikely, but it'd be cool. (What we already got with the VC service on Wii was pretty rad, though, no doubt about that.)

Interestingly, we almost got this game in NA:

The game was initially planned to be localized for the North American market (as shown by it being previewed in the September 1993 issue of Nintendo Power and a Canadian ad for a Keloggs contest[1], which featured a tentative boxart), but ended up being Japan-only.

preview_np.jpg

(via MarioWiki and SNES Central)

Are the Wii U and 3DS versions identical? Including the shared levels on Miiverse?
From what I gathered, all levels created on the 3DS work on Wii U, but not vise versa because Wii U version supports screen scrolling.
All SP levels work though because they were tweaked.

XaosWolf

From what I gathered, all levels created on the 3DS work on Wii U, but not vise versa because Wii U version supports screen scrolling.
All SP levels work though because they were tweaked.

....Can the 3DS screen not scroll? That doesn't sound like a technical limitation, just sounds really dumb. =(

in EU we still have to wait a couple of weeks...
Btw, is there someone interested in the 3DS version only?
I'm going to buy it on Wii U and I'd like to trade the other code in

Once its out in the UK, I'm planning on doing the reverse. Much prefer my puzzle games on the go.
Just seems silly for the games to be different at all when it come to its main selling point.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
in EU we still have to wait a couple of weeks...
Btw, is there someone interested in the 3DS version only?
I'm going to buy it on Wii U and I'd like to trade the other code in

Are the Wii U stages bigger? Different aspect ratio? Just trying to wrap my head around the reasoning for not having direct compatibility.
Probably due to aspect ratio as you said. You can make some big stages on the Wii U version and would probably be hard to compress.

Anyone have an idea how well this is selling? I find it weird with the heavy Miiverse focus and with all the posting and sharing and Yeahing going on that the Community for this game hasn't popped up on the Plaza yet.

There's also hardly any of my Friends List playing this game/sharing levels and I have like 99 friends.

Odrion

Banned
This is seriously a strange series. It's origin story is strange (a mediocre followup to DK 94) considering what they made of it afterwards, and the art aesthetic is strange.

I just don't get you, Mario vs. DK.

Anyone have an idea how well this is selling? I find it weird with the heavy Miiverse focus and with all the posting and sharing and Yeahing going on that the Community for this game hasn't popped up on the Plaza yet.
I think the Plaza isn't a good measure of sales since Meme Run was in it.
The Plaza just focuses on discussion and perhaps the yeah/shares don't count as discussion.

I think the Plaza isn't a good measure of sales since Meme Run was in it.
The Plaza just focuses on discussion and perhaps the yeah/shares don't count as discussion.

Yeahs do. Not sure about shares, but shares are posts. And the Community has a lot of posts and is very active.

maxcriden

Speaking of playing on the bottom screen of the 3DS, are y'all mostly playing this on Wii U or 3DS?

I ask because I finally am planning to start the game this evening and trying to figure out if it's better suited to Wii U or 3DS. I like Kirby but I find it absolutely impossible to play on the big screen rather than the GamePad. Is this game similar? I know there isn't as fast-paced gameplay necessarily.

That is to say, if you're playing on Wii U, are you looking at the TV much at all, mostly at the GamePad, or mostly at the TV? Just curious as I'd prefer to play it with my wife on the Wii U but if we're not both looking at the TV it'll potentially be a bit less fun to play together. Thanks!

That is to say, if you're playing on Wii U, are you looking at the TV much at all, mostly at the GamePad, or mostly at the TV? Just curious as I'd prefer to play it with my wife on the Wii U but if we're not both looking at the TV it'll potentially be a bit less fun to play together. Thanks!
I mostly use the TV to see the whole level. The bottom screen reflects a section the top screen, but you can see what area the gamepad has via borders on the top.
If you have a partner, then definitely the Wii U version is the best since the person can actually see you play the game.

maxcriden

I mostly use the TV to see the whole level. The bottom screen reflects a section the top screen, but you can see what area the gamepad has via borders on the top.
If you have a partner, then definitely the Wii U version is the best since the person can actually see you play the game.

Oh, we definitely wouldn't play the 3DS version. Our heads would be comically bonking together! Lol. I don't think we've played a 3DS game together since I helped her beat Yuga in LBW. Before that, it was probably when I watched her play the first level or two of DKCR 3D; just not something we do often. :)

Anyway, thanks. Do you end up having to look down at the GamePad to place stairs, switches, etc.? Does the actual gameplay require you to be looking at the GP?

Berordn

Does the actual gameplay require you to be looking at the GP?

It's not required, but menus and buttons and the like are only on the Gamepad and you control the whole game with it so you'll probably be looking down except for quick glances at the whole stage.

I picked up the Wii U version Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars, if anybody is interested in buying the 3DS version code off me.

EDIT: gone

maxcriden

It's not required, but menus and buttons and the like are only on the Gamepad and you control the whole game with it so you'll probably be looking down except for quick glances at the whole stage.

Sounds good. Thanks. We'll give it a shot tonight!

Oh, we definitely wouldn't play the 3DS version. Our heads would be comically bonking together! Lol. I don't think we've played a 3DS game together since I helped her beat Yuga in LBW. Before that, it was probably when I watched her play the first level or two of DKCR 3D; just not something we do often. :)

Anyway, thanks. Do you end up having to look down at the GamePad to place stairs, switches, etc.? Does the actual gameplay require you to be looking at the GP?

I don't look at the TV at all. I now just don't bother have it on while playing.

Definitely I think the game has a better use of the TV than Kirby did because it is not a direct reflection. If I could see the whole level on the TV then I would have bothered to look at it.
However, you can get away with never looking at the TV in this game. You just need a grasp of the whole level when playing big stages.

maxcriden

I don't look at the TV at all. I now just don't bother have it on while playing.

Definitely I think the game has a better use of the TV than Kirby did because it is not a direct reflection. If I could see the whole level on the TV then I would have bothered to look at it.
However, you can get away with never looking at the TV in this game. You just need a grasp of the whole level when playing big stages.

Thanks guys. It sounds a bit like playing Donkey Kong's Crash Course or Balloon Trip Breeze, or somewhere in between. Love both of those, no doubt.

TheMoon

Thanks guys. It sounds a bit like playing Donkey Kong's Crash Course or Balloon Trip Breeze, or somewhere in between. Love both of those, no doubt.

It's exactly that, yea. TV is for grand-scale overview of the level, main gameplay happens on the Gamepad.

gillty

Banned
....Can the 3DS screen not scroll? That doesn't sound like a technical limitation, just sounds really dumb. =(

I have not played the WiiU version, but the scrolling seems to be limited to either vertical or horizontal and not both on the 3DS version per level.

Perhaps this is the difference?

Anyways you shouldn't discount the 3DS version and remember you get a code for both. I am really enjoying this game, although this is my first Mario vs. DK title, it has been quite challenging so far.

Just watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5w9_SmZnu4

It's due to the screen format. You're playing on the bottom screen of the 3DS. Stuff like this is why Kirby and the Rainbow Curse would never have existed on 3DS.

If anything that video demonstrates that you there is less room for error on the 3DS version due to the 4:3 vs widescreen version, perhaps aiding for greater challenge.

TheMoon

If anything that video demonstrates that you there is less room for error on the 3DS version due to the 4:3 vs widescreen version, perhaps aiding for greater challenge.

I feel that is balanced by a greater reliance on verticality. Such as higher ladders or additional platforms.

maxcriden

We finally got the play the game tonight! It's a lot of fun. My only minor gripe: I do miss boss battles and even miniature "cutscenes" from DK '94 and MVDK. (To be fair, those are the only two games in the series I've played thus far, so this is my first touchscreen/Mini-oriented MVDK game.)

Onto the good. Oh my, the OST. I haven't seen much talk about it but it contains some really charming remixes (incl. SMB2 and DK tunes) and some catchy original jingles as well. The graphics look clean, crisp and excellent even on the GamePad, where I found we kind of huddled over together to play the game, but on a sofa that's really not a bad thing. (The borders on the TV, it being a 32'' TV, just made it kinda like Pikmin when it goes into transmission mode and the text is a bit too small to read on your TV.) The levels are also a bit small (on our display) to really enjoy watching on the television, so that was another reason to stick to sharing the GamePad. The animations of the Minis are as charming as ever, with the Cursed Mario and Toad Minis a highlight so far.

I should mention we've played up to 3-2 or so and are really digging the new and evolving mechanics the game has on offer. Haven't tried any UGC yet nor made our own levels, but with 45 stars we should be able to buy some good parts for levels soon enough. The difficulty has been ramping up at a fair and steady pace; nothing has been terribly hard so far to complete, but I suspect it'll only get tougher, and the working out the timing on coordinating those Minis on the proverbial move is already a tricky business in some levels. Overall, I'm very pleased with the game, and I suspect we'll get many hours of enjoyment out of it between the two iterations. I do like the for the 3DS version we can theoretically use it for UGC only because you can tip/receive stars without having to go into SP. That's a neat set-up.

Top Bottom