• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marion Cotillard talks about her death scene in The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haines

Banned
2koCobj.gif

superhero movies were a mistake

You mean she didnt actually hit him??

Dammit movie ruined.

Why are we judging super hero movies like this again?

I remember watching TDK and laughing when coming out of the cinema because my friend was just elbowing the air randomly in a (spot on) attempt at copying Batman's fighting style.

120v

i never thought too much into it, but how can you really "act" that scene.

you're in a fatal accident, give a monologue, die, and... cut. i actually kinda liked TDKR but that's some cartoon shit

Ridley327

There's also that one scene where Bane punches that pillar for no reason while fighting Batman.

Even if there was a better justification for it from a character standpoint, beyond being Bane's breaking point as far as his patience with Batman was concerned, it's a clear "because it looks cool" moment that photographed really well.

cyba89

lol what was that

Man, I even watched the movie and forgot this scene.

Wow really?
I think there was a time that one got posted more often than madmaxthatsbait.gif.

It's really annoying when nerds seriously judge film scenes based on 3 second low quality image loops.

magnifico

I remember watching TDK and laughing when coming out of the cinema because my friend was just elbowing the air randomly in a (spot on) attempt at copying Batman's fighting style.

Eh, elbows are a pretty essential part of tactical close quarters combat. More useful and realistic than kicks or haymakers and safer than a jab with your fist in many circumstances...

Pretty much all the hand to hand related action in the Nolan Batman movies was shit from the way it was shot to Baleman not having the greatest mobility but mainly how it was shot and the direction of it... Also reminded how "meh" I was on Hathaway being cast as Selina and how the movie did nothing to make me change my mind.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Don't understand why cg never is given a budget for small scale fist fights. Only for world ending destruction.

Composite the body closer to make contact will improve all of these .5 second film sequences when we look back at them in slowmo looped gifs.

Don't understand why cg never is given a budget for small scale fist fights. Only for world ending destruction.

Composite the body closer to make contact will improve all of these .5 second film sequences when we look back at them in slowmo looped gifs.

Man of Steel does this

mrkgoo

Wait, you're asking to CG small fight action sequences?

Never had a problem with most movies and decades of martial arts movies.

I say if your fist fight action shots require CG all the time to make them believable in context of a movie you're doing something wrong.

Mariolee

Seeing as how I don't understand French, this almost seems like one of those fake made up videos where the editor resubtitles the translation into something else entirely. Or that she was answering a question about another scene.

Her reaction just seems too bizarre otherwise.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Classy lady, that response was honestly a lot more serious than I was expecting. That film was just generally shit with a lot of issues, she's a great actress and they just used a bad take. That's on Nolan.

Kinyou

As for Nolan his sense of action especially when humans are fighting is pretty bad. Interestingly his action scenes involving vehicles are pretty good, maybe because he doesn't have to add loads of cuts to hide the awful choreography. As we see what happens when he tries the handheld route.

It's why Nolan respects directors like Michael Bay they know how to pull off an action scene and make it look good damm amazing.
I think that's what's actually different about Dark knight rises. Instead of those fast cuts he does a lot more steady, wide and long shots during fights which just completely reveals the bad choreography. The fights were also bad in Begins and dark knight but at least were they trying to hide it more.

Fast cuts during a fight also don't have to be bad. Zack snyder does a ton of them as well but instead of hiding the fight they bring dynamic into it

bf8zglxuccc7kmfa9dck.gif

magnifico

I think that's what's actually different about Dark knight rises. Instead of those fast cuts he does a lot more steady, wide and long shots during fights which just completely reveals the bad choreography. The fights were also bad in Begins and dark knight but at least were they trying to hide it more.

Fast cuts during a fight also don't have to be bad. Zack snyder does a ton of them as well but instead of hiding the fight they bring dynamic into it

A little of this, but Batman's techniques are noticeably better in Begins and TDK from a tactical perspective (one of the things I appreciated about the films). I think there were more cuts because realistic techniques don't necessarily look as impressive or flashy on camera so you have to pick your moments through editing to make it look more impactful, have rhythm and flow. Not sure why they suddenly made Batman into a novice haymaker thrower in Rises though... and yes there was less cutting and wider shots so you had henchmen waiting around to be hit. No excuses for that except that they probably shot a lot of this stuff on location in IMAX instead of a closed green screen set so I'm sure both time and saftey was a bigger concern.

Jombie

Batman in the Nolanverse is lucky henchman always run up to point the gun at his face.

4494778-0750938431-40447.gif

The action scenes in TDK are wooden and overtly choreographed. Speaking of chase scenes, the action in the Joker/Gotham caravan would be fine if not for the terrible editing.

jelly

THANK YOU. And people actually tried to forgive/overlook this shit. Nolanverse Batman fights are pure garbage, and I thank Zack Snyder EVERY DAY for driving that point home.

BVS Batman was literally Arkham series Batman + killing.

The nightmare future fight was complete garbage in BvS.

Nolan Batman fights were better in Begins because it wasn't just about action. The warehouse scene was pretty cool in BvS though.

Amikami

Banned
She is calmly speaking without any kind of overly emotional al response. Your comment makes no sense.

I can definitely identify what's he's talking about. It's not emotional but she does see like she's been deeply troubled by it for years. When I saw the video, my first response was "Damn, that shit really been eating her up huh?" It kinda appears that way, but I don't know if the interview is a good measure. It's silly that this was even brought up, but she certainly doesn't look happy. Expecially in that rap clip. Looks like she wanted to cry.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You mean she didnt actually hit him??

Dammit movie ruined.

Why are we judging super hero movies like this again?

because they're all shallow spectacles with nothing to say, so the only thing you can judge is the alleged "quality" of the cg-enhanced fight scenes, which unsurprisingly are also bad.

Bladenic

TDKR just had horrible death scenes all around. Bane randomly blown away by Selina on the bike, Thalia's scene. Just very questionably directed all around. Calling Marion Cotillard a bad actress for that scene is very dumb, I didn't know that was even a thing. Even though her performance in that particular scene wasn't great, I mean, not like she had lots to work with. Plus if this interview is correct they had better takes.

Alienfan

I don't understand what's "bad" about the action scenes in the Dark Knight Rises, people seem to be cheery picking one particularly bad one in a movie with many. The opening in both Dark Knight movies alone are still some of the best action sequences in modern cinema.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't understand what's "bad" about the action scenes in the Dark Knight Rises, people seem to be cheery picking one particularly bad one in a movie with many. The opening in both Dark Knight movies alone are still some of the best action sequences in modern cinema.

I love all 3 of the Nolan Batman movies but the action in them really isn't great.

Compare them to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVPh3Usrho

it's night and day.

jelly

I don't think anybody thought she was a bad actress, it was always on Nolan for that take.

As for the fights, I seem to remember Bale saying he wanted to do the fights more instead of the stuntman or maybe it was needed for more open fights. Either way, Nolan didn't care enough.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
because they're all shallow spectacles with nothing to say, so the only thing you can judge is the alleged "quality" of the cg-enhanced fight scenes, which unsurprisingly are also bad.

Yeah I remember people dismissing Star Wars like that back in the day.

They were wrong, too.

suaveric

I'm pretty sure Nolan is known as a filmmaker who doesn't do a lot of takes. So it's possible that this was the best option they had.

Alienfan

I love all 3 of the Nolan Batman movies but the action in them really isn't great.

Compare them to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVPh3Usrho

it's night and day.

That is a very good fight scene (although the last fight scene in that movie is absolute trash if I remember correctly, copious amounts of bad cgi). However, to me the dark knight films do tension, car chases and spectacle really, really well. Partly because of its commitment to practical effects and a fitting score.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
However, to me the dark knight films do tension, car chases and spectacle really, really well. Partly because of its commitment to practical effects and a fitting score.

Of course but where they fail is the action scenes.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Wait, you're asking to CG small fight action sequences?

Never had a problem with most movies and decades of martial arts movies.

I say if your fist fight action shots require CG all the time to make them believable in context of a movie you're doing something wrong.

All in camera is great, but I feel a good mix can also achieve greatness.

And I'm not talking about a full computer generated person fighting either. An approach similar to the perspective tricks used in the Hobbit films they used to show the size differences. Small enhancements.

An example I'm thinking of a good blend is the stabbing scene in Zodiac at the park. The entire knife blade and blood is faked in post. Or any of the fight scenes in Scott Pilgrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom