• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marion Cotillard talks about her death scene in The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

image.gif

this scene will always be hilarious

xv6UW6G.gif

Watch the dude in the back left

oh wow never seen this one

this is your gawd nolan huh gaf?

Dabanton

As for Nolan his sense of action especially when humans are fighting is pretty bad. Interestingly his action scenes involving vehicles are pretty good, maybe because he doesn't have to add loads of cuts to hide the awful choreography. As we see what happens when he tries the handheld route.

It's why Nolan respects directors like Michael Bay they know how to pull off an action scene and make it look good damm amazing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Nolan did her dirty with that, did he just do one take? If he did more, there's no way that was the best one.

That clip of that rapper is pretty sad, too. The fan reaction to that scene really got to her.

Yeah the Batmobile scenes in his trilogy were all good. Far better than the latest one too.

Even in inception I enjoyed the snow sequence on skis and snowmobiles. He's not bad at scenes like this. And his insistence on practical effects made that TDKR opening look fantastic.

He needs to bring in a second unit director for his hand to hand stuff though...should he make another action movie again

Volimar

I'm of the opinion that fight scenes really shouldn't get slowed down for gifs etc. I mean, like that black Widow gif. Of course she wasn't going to actually hit the guy, and it's a fraction of a second in an action sequence. No big deal.

Those Batman ones though...

Dysun

THANK YOU. And people actually tried to forgive/overlook this shit. Nolanverse Batman fights are pure garbage, and I thank Zack Snyder EVERY DAY for driving that point home.

BVS Batman was literally Arkham series Batman + killing.

too bad the movie was garbage
Lets hope Affleck copies this and actually makes a good movie

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm of the opinion that fight scenes really shouldn't get slowed down for gifs etc. I mean, like that black Widow gif. Of course she wasn't going to actually hit the guy, and it's a fraction of a second in an action sequence. No big deal.

Yeah, stuff like this is also kind of dishonest. If you slowed down every fight scene, or looped 2 seconds over and over while removing frames, you can find a lot of faults with every movie or just make things look dumber than they normally look.

Xe4

Banned
2koCobj.gif

superhero movies were a mistake

I think the lesson here is it's easy to make anything look stupid if you choose a 3 second gif to show the scene. Not defending TDKR here either, it's a bad movie for other reasons, but I think its choreography and Talia's death were fine.

brawly

I mean it's terrible but the way she talks about it seems more like she comes clean about commiting a fellony.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Bane deserved a better ending damnit. Best live-action cb movie villain.

Bane <3

BluWacky

No, I get that, but her reaction when he said that + what she said in the interview, she makes it pretty clear that she's bummed out about the situation. Of course she was just acting in the sketch but in real life she feels that way.

If you were one of the world's currently most critically acclaimed actresses, and the thing you seem to be most known for in one of the biggest markets in the world is a crap death scene in a major blockbuster, I think you'd be pretty bummed out if people kept talking about it rather than her string of superb performances.

Yet she still signed up for Assassin's Creed, so...

DrSlek

Everybody has guns, yet they're trying to club Batman over the head with them. Does anybody in DKR actually try and shoot Batman?

the-dark-knight-rises-christopher-nolan.jpg

Spends weeks on chalk drawing storyline,
spends 10s choosing final take for Oscar winner death scene

Nolan's gotta be the only guy who wears full business attire every day to work on a movie set. Like, it's dirty, it's long hours, it's uncomfortable. Who wants to be dressed in a nice suit for that?

Someone should start a GoFundMe for Nolan for a few polos and a good pair of slacks.

LaMagenta

I feel sad that this moment had such a big effect on her. She is amazing and this one moment should not define her acting abilities. This movie was meant to be dark but it had much of the old batman movies silliness. So why nolan or the edit team decided on this take and all other silliness was prob becuz he wanted that effect. I hope she realizes that now and doesnt consider this her failure.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
THANK YOU. And people actually tried to forgive/overlook this shit. Nolanverse Batman fights are pure garbage, and I thank Zack Snyder EVERY DAY for driving that point home.

BVS Batman was literally Arkham series Batman + killing.

It's just too bad it's wrapped in nearly three hours of shit. Deeply boring and harboring on a hate crime being perpetrated on cinema at large shit.

Great scene tho.

Cotillard getting too much hate for something outta her hands. Nolan deserves the bigger slice of that than anyone else for fumbling so hard on Rises.

Nepenthe

She says herself that she hasn't been all that affected by it, but that she thought the overreaction was disproportionate. So why are some people saying she's making a big deal out of it?

Replicant

What an awkward thing to ask. JFC, I was cringing throughout the whole interview.

Still a badly acted/directed scene though.

Jombie

Wow. That kind of makes me feel bad for her, and I would have been pissed too. I'm not a huge fan of Nolan's Batman movies (or Nolan, really) but he's talented enough to view some of those in dailies and realize they aren't okay. There's some truly horrible shit in those movies, both from a writing and technical standpoint that it's hard for me to believe that he had a hand in editing or saw a final cut (or cared to).

I like to assume Nolan chose the cartoonish take as a way to provide 100% closure on her death because of the folks who believed Harvey Dent was alive at the end of TDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom