• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marion Cotillard talks about her death scene in The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, the action scenes in TDKR will not retroactively make BvS good when they were made before it.

And yes, BvS still sucks. Let's all accept it already and move on.

Her death scene never really bothered me. The one scene that literally made me say what the fuck was Cat-woman's cartwheel.

iD8Na3ks6Rrnx.gif

lol I didn't remember this

Mikey Jr.

One thing I don't understand is why do bad guys with guns always get close to the protagonist and try to punch them with the gun?

Davide

Horrible, horrible movie.

Time hasn't be kind to it.

I disagree. It was even better for me watching it a week ago, especially with how the themes are linked to populism. Bane's take over of Gotham feels more believable now than it did in 2012. Funny thing is it's set in 2016 too.

It's a great, very underrated movie.

Spinluck

For a genre that is essentially action films it's kinda crazy that the movie with some of the more crappier action scenes (TDK) is arguably the best one of them all and certainly a high bar. It made up for its shortcomings with everything else.

Damn shame Nolan didn't have the snyder batman costume or choreography. God damn that warehouse scene was cathartic after like 40 years of mediocre batman action on screen

Marion Cotillard is a great actress but I wasn't a big fan of her in the Nolan films she starred in. She wasn't bad but ehhh. Hathaway was much better in TDKR

Training scene in Begins is godtier though.

Best superhero training scene or whatever you want to label it

Zakalwe

Banned
Can we separate "action" and "fight" scenes please?

Nolan has directed some great action scenes.

Hallway scene in Inception
Tumbler chase in TDK
Docking disaster sequence in Interstellar

Three of my favourites, there are more.

tcrunch

She doesn't actually talk about the death scene or why it was so bad except to say "why did they choose that take", she just talks about the reaction to it.

For a genre that is essentially action films it's kinda crazy that the movie with some of the more crappier action scenes (TDK) is arguably the best one of them all and certainly a high bar. It made up for its shortcomings with everything else.

Damn shame Nolan didn't have the snyder batman costume or choreography. God damn that warehouse scene was cathartic after like 40 years of mediocre batman action on screen

Marion Cotillard is a great actress but I wasn't a big fan of her in the Nolan films she starred in. She wasn't bad but ehhh. Hathaway was much better in TDKR

I think for what TDK action misses in technical terms, it makes up for in the creative scenarios for the action. Like, Batman fighting Joker's goons and SWAT while protecting hostages from both.

guys...the guy batman kicks shoots the guy that falls.

Yeah. The gif is lacking the gunshot sound. But they should've added a muzzle flash. Who knows if it's a dumb ratings board thing or an oversight.

Slaythe

She doesn't actually talk about the death scene or why it was so bad except to say "why did they choose that take", she just talks about the reaction to it.

Editing, mixing and "choosing the right take" are 90% of an actor's performance when it comes down to movies...

And that's not counting actors that redub themselves like Deniro.

There's nothing to say or to add to that death scene. She said it was a failed scene and questioned why it made it into the final piece.

Don't think actors ace everything all the time.

I feel like Nolan took complaints about the terrible shaky cam nonsense action scenes in Batman Begins to heart, and by TDKR he was trying to do one-shot fight scenes. Unfortunately, the big dumb rubber suit was obviously so difficult to move around in, and for whatever reason they had Christian Bale doing the fight scenes instead of a stunt double, so they all look so slow and lifeless. It looks like they took the 50% speed rehearsal footage and stuck it into the movie.

Best part of the movie is when rookie cop, never-shot-anyone-before Joseph Gordon-Levitt pulls off a fucking sick ricochet shot out of nowhere and then looks down at his hands in the cheesiest "What have I dooooone!?" moment ever :p

JakeD

im pretty sure they were going for "hair whip" with the black widow gif. theres even a whip type sound effect

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did Batman straight up kill people here?

Never saw this movie. But ummm, is Batman allowed to pull out a gatling gun and blow the bad guys away?

That seems, very un-Batman.

Play stupid games, get stupid rewards. Snyder's Batman doesn't go out of his way to save people, he no longer gives a fuck.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I refuse to believe that was the best take. It just couldn't have been. And it isn't like it's a long continuous moment where they couldn't edit two different takes together and catch the dialogue in ADR, it goes back and forth between her and the reactions of the group. It's really bizarre. There are actually quite a few weird little choices like that in Rises. The whole movie just feels phoned in as a result.

She's a great actress who takes her craft incredibly seriously. So I get not wanting to be associated with such a bad moment. I don't think anyone wrote her off as a bad actress because of this...at least I hope not.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There was attention to detail in Batman Begins that was very much needed in both sequels. Begins is the only good movie in that Trilogy. Maybe a future watch of TDKR will bring up a lot of absurd nuances many people have brought up every time a thread on this film is discussed. Or maybe you just have a higher suspension of disbelief which is okay too.

I'm rolling my eyes real hard here...

Litan

That is a very good fight scene (although the last fight scene in that movie is absolute trash if I remember correctly, copious amounts of bad cgi). However, to me the dark knight films do tension, car chases and spectacle really, really well. Partly because of its commitment to practical effects and a fitting score.
Yeah, the action sequences themselves are top notch. It's the fight choreography that falls short.

Batman Begins is probably the only truly great Nolan Batman film. The Dark Knight was mostly propped up by Ledger's Joker performance. TDKR was just mostly bad. I enjoyed it but only as an entertaining blockbuster. It did a lot of things wrong. when it comes to fight choreography, Snyder does a much a better job than Nolan ever did.

Never saw this movie. But ummm, is Batman allowed to pull out a gatling gun and blow the bad guys away?

Batman kills people in every Batman ever filmed, this isn't really new. His bodycount across 9 movies is pretty high.

Still can't believe there are people out there who think this movie is better than Man of Steel and BvS lol. I tried giving it a chance, multiple times, but damnit man it's just terrible..

Spider-Man 3 was better than TDKR, and what was done to Venom was unforgivable.

badb0y

Snyder's Batman is older and has less patience compared to his younger self. Keep in mind in this universe Robin is already dead so Batman don't give a fuck no more.

black_13

Banned
Even Dark Knight Rises being the worst of the Nolan Batman movies was still better than Batman v Superman really.

I don't think Marion's performance was any worse than Henry Cavil as Superman.

Batman's kill count is pretty high in the Keaton films, the 2nd and 3rd films of the Nolan trilogy, and Batman v Superman. I think only the Val Kilmer and Clooney movies had Batman sticking to the No Kill rule.

watershed

Banned
The whole movie was sloppy. Her entire role was under-developed and that's a writing issue not an acting issue. For the most part, she did what she could with the role. Her death scene is awful and I was thinking the same thing she was: "why did they use that take?" And if it was the best take, why didn't anyone talk to her about making a change in her approach on the day of shooting? I think the answer is, a lot of the movie was sloppy.

Litan

Batman Begins is probably the only truly great Nolan Batman film. The Dark Knight was mostly propped up by Ledger's Joker performance. TDKR was just mostly bad. I enjoyed it but only as an entertaining blockbuster. It did a lot of things wrong. when it comes to fight choreography, Snyder does a much a better job than Nolan ever did.
And the acting of the rest of the cast...and really good writing...and a really good score...and really good cinematography.

Litan

The whole movie was sloppy. Her entire role was under-developed and that's a writing issue not an acting issue. For the most part, she did what she could with the role. Her death scene is awful and I was thinking the same thing she was: "why did they use that take?" And if it was the best take, why didn't anyone talk to her about making a change in her approach on the day of shooting? I think the answer is, a lot of the movie was sloppy.
Nolan was probably itching to move on by the time TDK was done. He doesn't really strike me as the kind of director who is into doing sequels much.

And the acting of the rest of the cast...and really good writing...and a really good score...and really good cinematography.

The writing wasn't really anything to write home about. It wasn't that much better than Batman v Superman or your average Marvel film. The cast ranged from bad to great. It was not consistent . Bale's( the main character ) performance was really mediocre. The score and cinematography I'll give you.

Davide

Nolan was probably itching to move on by the time TDK was done. He doesn't really strike me as the kind of director who is into doing sequels much.
I think it's genuinely a film he wanted to make but both TDKR and TDK as great as they were had some of the sloppier mistakes on Nolan's films. The Joker in the fundraiser scene being open ended, Harvey Dent not getting out of the car before it crashes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, the action sequences themselves are top notch. It's the fight choreography that falls short.
Agree with this

I remember noticing a few scenes where guys had guns that they were just shaking and sound effects were added instead of having them firing. It really undermined those sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom