• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny on The Verge (GPU, elite controller, etc)

daman824

Again my post was months ago telling people that they couldn't just go by the TF number & I explained why they couldn't just go by that number. I haven't said anything about Scorpio being 6TF FP16 lately people keep bringing it up & I keep explaining it to them.

It has to be fear that what I said might be right because I'm not the one who keep bringing up the question if Scorpio is 6TF FP32 or 6TF FP16.

You're even talking about a ban bet as if I'm here trying to tell you that Xbox Scorpio is 3TF. lol you're arguing with yourself.
You can go by the tf number ms gave. The Scorpio will not be 6tf FP16. It'll be around 12tf FP16. You are actively trying to spread fud. And when called out on anything you say, you type more nonsense. I'm honestly suprised you aren't banned yet

Outrun

Let's put this another way.

We all agree the XBOX360 was more balanced and the PS3 had a terrible GPU. Which system pushed technology more to the benefit of software?

Yes, this is also a lame catch-all concept, just like yours but all I'm doing is illustrating that even though Scorpio will have a more up-to-date GPU a PS4 Pro might still be able to compete in other area's by other means. If that includes creative design, then why not?

And what makes you think that MS and their design team are not making similar tech strides?

Both Sony and MS are using semi-custom approaches.

If it makes you feel better that the Pro will be able to compete then enjoy your cake...

But we seem to be delving into what if territory which is puzzling as heck at the moment.

KageMaru

Again my post was months ago telling people that they couldn't just go by the TF number & I explained why they couldn't just go by that number. I haven't said anything about Scorpio being 6TF FP16 lately people keep bringing it up & I keep explaining it to them.

It has to be fear that what I said might be right because I'm not the one who keep bringing up the question if Scorpio is 6TF FP32 or 6TF FP16.

You're even talking about a ban bet as if I'm here trying to tell you that Xbox Scorpio is 3TF. lol you're arguing with yourself.

You're whole message makes no sense and only serves to stroke your own ego.

You say we shouldn't go by the TF numbers for which the Pro or Scorpio? I ask because we still have no reason not to go by their numbers. The Pro in fact has a 4.2TF GPU, just like the Scorpio will have a 6TF GPU (unless MS is lying). Yes you can say the Pro has a 8.4TF 16FP GPU but is there a point when the entire game isn't utilizing 16FP operations? Just like you can imply that the Scorpio's GPU is really 6TF with 16FP, but again that makes no sense and goes against everything else we know about the system.

You are the one who keeps saying we don't know for sure how MS got their 6TF figures when the rest of us know how they got that number. You are the one who keeps insinuating that the figure could be from 16FP numbers.

You're not directly telling me or anyone that the Scorpio is a 3TF GPU, but you're saying that it's a possibility. That line of thinking and posting is absolute nonsense.

I think Microsoft actually gave the DP FP64 number anyway for maximum trolling. Making it a 12TF FP32 machine and a 24TF FP16 behemoth!

Cerny must be shitting bricks!

/s

onQ123

You can go by the tf number ms gave. The Scorpio will not be 6tf FP16. It'll be around 12tf FP16. You are actively trying to spread fud. And when called out on anything you say, you back down. I'm honestly suprised you aren't banned yet

This is the post I made in July asking people how they know that the MS isn't using FP16 & I called out that PS4 Pro is 8.4TF FP16. never did I say that this is what MS is doing I just pointed out that they could do this & now the fact that PS4 Pro has come out to be 8.4TF people are losing their minds in a effort to prove me wrong when there isn't anything to prove wrong.

The point of my post is that we need more information then just the TF number as you can see by the fact that Sony could just say that the PS4 Pro is 8.4TF.

How we know Microsoft isn't being shady & using a GPU that's capable of half-precision floating points & using the half-precision numbers?

They could be doing the same thing as Sony but using a Polaris GPU with 24 CUs clocked to 1000Mhz that would be 3tflops full-precision & 6tflops half-precision.

also using 64MB of embedded ram by having double the chips & a higher clock speed will also get the bandwidth close to 320GB/s if they are pulling the same stunt they did with the Xbox One by adding the embedded ram speed with the main memory speed.

I'm woke!

PS4 Neo is 8.4tflops half-precision nice try Microsoft you almost got me

This is the post I made in July asking people how they know that the MS isn't using FP16 & I called out that PS4 Pro is 8.4TF FP16. never did I say that this is what MS is doing I just pointed out that they could do this & now the fact that PS4 Pro has come out to be 8.4TF people are losing their minds in a effort to prove me wrong when there isn't anything to prove wrong.

The point of my post is that we need more information then just the TF number as you can see by the fact that Sony could just say that the PS4 Pro is 8.4TF.

Despite all the things you're saying, I gotta agree with you on something: I wouldn't be surprised if MS pulled a PR move about the 6TF figure, especially after the power of the cloud.

daman824

Despite all the things you're saying, I gotta agree with you on something: I wouldn't be surprised if MS pulled a PR move about the 6TF figure, especially after the power of the cloud.
This is absolute nonsense. And believing that ANYONE would do something like that is stupid.

KageMaru

This is absolute nonsense. And believing that ANYONE would do something like that is stupid.

Yup, Phil Spencer is not Don Mattrick. They did not work for years to build back trust and brand strength just to piss it all away on false claims a year later.

Even entertaining the idea is silly and would be suicide to the whole Xbox brand.

LordOfChaos

The power of the could was marketing bull speak, but come on guys, giving a competitor a year and a half advantage for a similar architecture, drumming up 6Tflop hype for their lives the entire time,
most powerful console ever marketing, 320GB/s, 12GB RAM...For a 6TF FP16 aka 3Tflop single precision GPU?

This theory, not theory, theories have evidence...This idea amounts to such a trivially small chance.

I wish a Microsofter would respond just to put us out of this misery.

onQ123

Yup, Phil Spencer is not Don Mattrick. They did not work for years to build back trust and brand strength just to piss it all away on false claims a year later.

Even entertaining the idea is silly and would be suicide to the whole Xbox brand.

They have false claims on Scorpio front page

project-scorpio-features.jpg

LordOfChaos

They have false claims on Scorpio front page

project-scorpio-features.jpg

Definitions of those are debatable. Presumably their caveat would be "4K on most new games, unlike the Pro", similarly without the, er, 'optimizations' of PSVR.

Calling a three teraflop SP GPU the most powerful console ever launched would be so demonstrably false it would be ridiculous.

Proelite

Sony's released spec sheets for ps4 pro said 4.2 teraflops.

320 gb/s would be overkill for a 3 teraflop console with all the bandwidth compression additions to GCN since GCN 1.1.

The power of the could was marketing bull speak, but come on guys, giving a competitor a year and a half advantage for a similar architecture, drumming up 6Tflop hype for their lives the entire time,
most powerful console ever marketing, 320GB/s, 12GB RAM...For a 6TF FP16 aka 3Tflop single precision GPU?

This theory, not theory, theories have evidence...This idea amounts to such a trivially small chance.

Of course there's a really low chance to happen. All I said it.s that it's not a PR move that would surprise me :p

I mean, considering all the emphasis they have on it being a big premium machine, anyone sane and reasonable is expecting 6TF FP32.

Something is really wrong with you people lol SMH.

Someone telling you the fact that PS4 Pro is 8.4TF FP16 is not them telling you that PS4 Pro is 2X more powerful than 4.2TF FP32.

Some one telling that simple fact isn't, someone saying that this fact will "radically increase the performance"? That's a little more shady, specially in the way he put it.

THe Xbox one S only has 10% GPU upclock. Scorpio will most likely be locked down in the same way as PS4 Pro, because MS can't account for most third party games developed the same way many PS4 games are, by exactly frequency and frametime.

No, it won't. The xbone games will improve without a patch on Scorpio.

And I doubt there's even a single game made in the last 10 years, let alone this gen, that locks logic to the processor frequency, even on consoles.

Fixed time step or logic being tied to framerate does not mean that, nor does it mean you if you put a faster processor you mess with frame times.

Hexa

And I doubt there's even a single game made in the last 10 years, let alone this gen, that locks logic to the processor frequency, even on consoles.

Fixed time step or logic being tied to framerate does not mean that, nor does it mean you if you put a faster processor you mess with frame times.

According to Cerny that is exactly what happens on PS4 for at least some games.
It may not necessarily be intentional. It may just be that the code was never tested at any other frequency and hence the issues never discovered.

onQ123

I wish a Microsofter would respond just to put us out of this misery

Which is an easy thing to do.

I believe that Scorpio is 6TF full precision after Phil Spencer did the video talking about Scorpio & he said that it was 4.5X more powerful than Xbox One. People keep going back to me telling them that they can't just go by the TF number, that's a fact it's not just something to downplay Scorpio.

Proelite

According to Cerny that is exactly what happens on PS4 for at least some games.
It may not necessarily be intentional. It may just be that the code was never tested at any other frequency and hence the issues never discovered.

That would be Sony's fault for enabling developers to couple their code with frequency.

Developers have avoided doing that for over 30 years now on PCs.

would have been nice to have dynamic resolution games locked to 1080p and locked frame rates.

Hexa

That would be Sony's fault for enabling developers to couple their code with frequency.

Developers have avoided doing that for over 30 years now on PCs.

There could still be shitty implementations of semaphores. For example, the CPU uses a resource after the GPU is done with it, but it doesn't implement the check properly. With the PS4 due to the clocks it still always does it in order so that doesn't come up in testing, but with the new clocks the CPU accesses it before the GPU, hence leading to errors.

Space_nut

The thing is you are the one bringing up that Scorpio 6TF number could be FP16. If you don't think it is then why keep insinuating that we can't trust the 6TF number to be FP32? The standard of describing gpu power has always been FP32. Why pair a 3TF FP32 with a 320+ GB/s bandwidth of possibly 12GB of ram?

Phil has gone on record saying they could have done what pro is doing but the technology isn't available to do what they wanted. A 3TF FP32 is very old and easy to do since last year. Logistics will point Scorpio to be 6TF FP32 easily for next fall. It's like you're questioning if the next Ferrari is using a 2cyl 120hp engine just because they didn't give full specs. But clearly it'll be using 15 in disk brakes with quad exhaust and dual clutches for a 120hp engine /s

Outrun

The thing is you are the one bringing up that Scorpio 6TF number could be FP16. If you don't think it is then why keep insinuating that we can't trust the 6TF number to be FP32? The standard of describing gpu power has always been FP32. Why pair a 3TF FP32 with a 320+ GB/s bandwidth of possibly 12GB of ram?

Phil has gone on record saying they could have done what pro is doing but the technology isn't available to do what they wanted. A 3TF FP32 is very old and easy to do since last year. Logistics will point Scorpio to be 6TF FP32 easily for next fall. It's like you're questioning if the next Ferrari is using a 2cyl 120hp engine just because they didn't give full specs. But clearly it'll be using 15 in disk brakes with quad exhaust and dual clutches for a 120hp engine /s

Because the agenda is fake concern and FUD. It is not enough to enjoy the Pro, doubt must be instilled for the 2017 arrival of Scorpio.

It is console wars masquerading as tech talk.

Cerny did a good job with the Pro. I look forward to seeing more enhanced games.

onQ123

Definitions of those are debatable. Presumably their caveat would be "4K on most new games, unlike the Pro", similarly without the, er, 'optimizations' of PSVR.

Calling a three teraflop SP GPU the most powerful console ever launched would be so demonstrably false it would be ridiculous.

when they released the video PS4 Pro didn't exist.

Sony's released spec sheets for ps4 pro said 4.2 teraflops.

320 gb/s would be overkill for a 3 teraflop console with all the bandwidth compression additions to GCN since GCN 1.1.

Well they have 204GB/s for a 1.3TF console

"The same discussion with ESRAM as well - the 204GB/s number that was presented at Hot Chips is taking known limitations of the logic around the ESRAM into account. You can't sustain writes for absolutely every single cycle. The writes is known to insert a bubble [a dead cycle] occasionally... one out of every eight cycles is a bubble so that's how you get the combined 204GB/s as the raw peak that we can really achieve over the ESRAM. And then if you say what can you achieve out of an application - we've measured about 140-150GB/s for ESRAM.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

Space_nut

when they released the video PS4 Pro didn't exist.

Well they have 204GB/s for a 1.3TF console

But no esram found on the chip we've seen in the video. Again people who know their stuff seen the memory chips to make the 12GB of ram and found that amount to be perfect to calculate the 320 GB/s bandwidth from. Again from what is shown this is what's found. No guessing from made up theories

lol no
Just having a fixed platform enables that. It's not like you can't do it on other platforms. Hell you can do it on PC, you just don't. This is all on the programmers at the developer, nothing to do with the platform owner.

onQ123

But no esram found on the chip we've seen in the video. Again people who know their stuff seen the memory chips to make the 12GB of ram and found that amount to be perfect to calculate the 320 GB/s bandwidth from. Again from what is shown this is what's found. No guessing from made up theories

LOL so you can look at a render of a console & see that it doesn't have any esram on the chip?

That's amazing

Space_nut

LOL so you can look at a render of a console & see that it doesn't have any esram on the chip?

That's amazing

It's what's shown so far. Again where are your proofs it could be esram in it other than made up theories? Use what's been shown that's all we can go off of plain and simple

onQ123

They didn't have bandwidth compression features in GCN 1.1.

Not to mention the figure is something like 150 GB/s unified due to it being a split bus.

But Xbox One did

"On the GPU we added some compressed render target formats like our 6e4 [6 bit mantissa and 4 bits exponent per component] and 7e3 HDR float formats [where the 6e4 formats] that were very, very popular on Xbox 360, which instead of doing a 16-bit float per component 64bpp render target, you can do the equivalent with us using 32 bits - so we did a lot of focus on really maximising efficiency and utilisation of that ESRAM."

"From a power/efficiency standpoint as well, fixed functions are more power-friendly on fixed function units," adds Nick Baker. "We put data compression on there as well, so we have LZ compression/decompression and also motion JPEG decode which helps with Kinect. So there's a lot more to the Data Move Engines than moving from one block of memory to another."

KageMaru

I hope they don't because this notion is laughable and shouldn't be acknowledged.

I highly doubt games will run faster than the intended frame rates on Scorpio. Unless a game is patched like we see with the Pro now, the only thing we know is games with dynamic resolutions will hold the top resolution longer due to the additional processing power. I can see games like BF1 running at a more solid 60fps but I don't see 30fps games doubling in frame rate when running on Scorpio.

onQ123

It's what's shown so far. Again where are your proofs it could be esram in it other than made up theories? Use what's been shown that's all we can go off of plain and simple

So a upgraded Xbox One maybe using esram is a made up theory that comes from out of nowhere?

ZoyosJD

Yeah you show did school me but I was right when you tried to tell me that I was wrong.

Nobody is using "up-rendering". Your interpretation of the use of this technique is wrong and you misinterpreted SSAA as the less efficient "up-rendering".http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209099305&postcount=2294

We aren't seeing new native 4k AAA games.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289840&highlight=native+4k You touted this as a possibility of a result of "up-rendering" and "smart decisions". The GPU is less powerful than a stock 480 and gives those respective results.

We are seeing the use of checkerboard rendering. I believe we agreed on this at some point, but it is still non-native 4k.

You misunderstood the relation between re-projection, rendering a new frame, the process and power required for each.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209103358&postcount=2302

Even if/when you are correct, your posts are filled with inaccuracies and are riddled with insinuations in which you leave unsupported.

I see you grasping for terms in posts like this:

I'm waiting for devs to use the new hardware for new rendering techniques that don't have anything to do with the resolution, I'm thinking that if the ID buffer is able to track polygons in 3D space devs should be able to use that information for better lighting & so on.

When the idea can be summed up in a single term thats been around for years, like: voxelation.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/18/debunked/

Your constantly looking for new words to hang on to because you don't know and understand what's already there.

Space_nut

So a upgraded Xbox One maybe using esram is a made up theory that comes from out of nowhere?

From where you get upgraded Xbox one from? Cause last I recall Phill has said they're using technology not available yet and was even asked by a gaffer of which CPU they'll use and he hinted to him it was going to be a new CPU architecture. Again if they wanted to do a simple upgrade from Xbox one they would have done what Sony did but Phil clearly stated they want to go better with the tech. They're not simply doubling gpu and calling quits like Sony is doing

Please let the Scorpio reveal come!!

onQ123

Nobody is using "up-rendering". Your interpretation of the use of this technique is wrong and you misinterpreted SSAA as the less efficient "up-rendering".http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209099305&postcount=2294

We aren't seeing new native 4k AAA games.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289840&highlight=native+4k You touted this as a possibility of a result of "up-rendering" and "smart decisions". The GPU is less powerful than a stock 480 and gives those respective results.

We are seeing the use of checkerboard rendering. I believe we agreed on this at some point, but it is still non-native 4k.

You misunderstood the relation between re-projection, rendering a new frame, the process and power required for each.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209103358&postcount=2302

Even if/when you are correct, your posts are filled with inaccuracies and are riddled with insinuations in which you leave unsupported.

I see you grasping for terms in posts like this:

When the idea can be summed up in a single term thats been around for years, like: voxelation.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/18/debunked/

Your constantly looking for new words to hang on to because you don't know and understand what's already there.

NBA 2K17 (Native 4K@60FPS + HDR)

No it hasn't. And why do you think MS would wait an extra year to produce a less capable machine?

onQ123

From where you get upgraded Xbox one from? Cause last I recall Phill has said they're using technology not available yet and was even asked by a gaffer of which CPU they'll use and he hinted to him it was going to be a new CPU architecture. Again if they wanted to do a simple upgrade from Xbox one they would have done what Sony did but Phil clearly stated they want to go better with the tech. They're not simply doubling gpu and calling quits like Sony is doing

Please let the Scorpio reveal come!!

It's still a upgraded Xbox One

A Microsoft spokesperson also added: "All of your Xbox One games and accessories are compatible across all Xbox One family of products, including Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Project Scorpio."
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...have-some-exclusive-games#8WMACrKoBXhTy3D8.99

Project Scorpio games, peripherals and backwards compatibility with Xbox One

Project Scorpio is a mid-generation upgrade of the Xbox One, and so all games and peripherals that run on an Xbox One today will work on the new system, including controllers and Kinect, and presumably initiatives such as Xbox 360 backwards compatibility and cross-buy with Windows 10 as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-18-project-scorpio-release-date-price-games-xbox

Space_nut

It's still a upgraded Xbox One

But no where says they're using the same tech. All you quoted was Scorpio is part of the Xbox family and all games will work across all systems.

Again do I need to quote Phil talking about the TECHNOLOGY of Scorpio or watch that great Giantbomb interview? He clearly states the TECHNOLOGY is the most up to date and isn't available to use until next year. Again no where you quoted states Scorpio using same tech as Xbox one. Everything I said is backed by actual statements and materials they released. You are again using made up theories

He posts such nonsense to muddy the waters of the discussion.

Pretty much...

Just pages and pages of self-quoating, in more than one thread, usually never conceding a point, largely just to be "right" about empty technicalities. It's all about attracting that fan-club/defense force.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Tripolygon

Banned
Pretty much...

Just pages and pages of self-quoating, in more than one thread, usually never conceding a point, largely just to be "right" about empty technicalities. It's all about attracting that fan-club/defense force.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
onQ defence force here.

You tried this argument in another thread and it didn't work. Just because he quotes himself to show he is right does not mean he is anything like jeff. I was one of those people who argued with jeff over that Xbox One and PS4 4K update. I've been banned before for going off on jeff.

There is a difference between jeff and onQ, onQ only quotes himself to show he is right or to correct misrepresentation of his actual statements about things, jeff quotes himself as a source even when he's been proven to be wrong.

Go through his past post and find anything to support your claim.

Edit: I think it was earlier in this thread.

Metfanant

onQ defence force here.

You tried this argument in another thread and it didn't work. Just because he quotes himself to show he is right does not mean he is anything like jeff. I was one of those people who argued with jeff over that Xbox One and PS4 4K update. I've been banned before for going off on jeff.

There is a difference between jeff and onQ, onQ only quotes himself to show he is right or to correct misrepresentation of his actual statements about things, jeff quotes himself as a source even when he's been proven to be wrong.

Go through his past post and find anything to support your claim.

You shouldn't defend him, it only makes you look bad...he makes countless absolutely baseless claims...all so that if someone down the road even mentions something he talked about he then gets to say he was "right" all along...it's actually quite sad...

Top Bottom