• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s ‘Punisher’ Pulled From New York Comic-Con Following Las Vegas Shooting

Link.

Netflix and Marvel Television have scrapped plans to present a panel for upcoming series “The Punisher” at New York Comic-Con.

“We are stunned and saddened by this week’s senseless act in Las Vegas,” Netflix and Marvel said in a joint statement. “After careful consideration, Netflix and Marvel have decided it wouldn’t be appropriate for Marvel’s The Punisher to participate in New York Comic Con. Our thoughts continue to be with the victims and those affected by this tragedy.”

A spin-off from season 2 of “Daredevil,” “The Punisher” tells the story of Frank Castle, a combat veteran whose family is killed in a organized-crime shootout. Castle uses his military skills to kill the criminals responsible for his family’s death. The series is based on the Marvel Comics character, whose adventures are known to feature an intense amount of gun violence.

Marvel and Netflix have not responded to a question about when the show, which had been rumored to debut Oct. 7, will premiere.

JCHandsom

I think this is the right play in this situation. In retrospect, hiding the release date was a good move on their part, so they can move it ahead.

hopefully they'll follow by pulling the show altogether

only half-joking, the character's popularity with the military and law enforcement is absolutely disgusting

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Make him a black guy.
Shop Wesley Snipes photo on his head.
Suddenly all these sick fucks will stop idolising him.

Yeah, the Punisher is uncomfortable as hell to me. He's not fucking Spider-Man or Iron Man, you know?

He started as a villain/foil in Amazing Spider-Man. He's just never been my kind of Marvel Hero, even more so since the last few years

Make him a black guy.
Shop Wesley Snipes photo on his head.
Suddenly all these sick fucks will stop idolising him.

brilliant. Suddenly, Punisher wouldn't be so cool

LotusHD

Banned
Damn, forgot all about the optics for this

Never really wanted him to get his own show, now it's just even more awkward...

JCHandsom

The biggest reason I'm interested in Bernthal's Punisher is because it looks like his series will have him taking on Homeland Security, the CIA, and the FBI (presumably all corrupt and bad) instead of poor people, addicts, the mentally ill, and minorities.

Simo

Understandable and appropriate.

I take it they removed the giant billboards in Time Square too? One side featured the Punisher skull and the other was Frank all armored up holding a machine gun.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
God this character is just terrible for the situation in the country right now.

Not nearly as bad as the new Death Wish. That trailer made me sick.

PixelatedBookake

Yeah, the Punisher is uncomfortable as hell to me. He's not fucking Spider-Man or Iron Man, you know?

He started as a villain/foil in Amazing Spider-Man. He's just never been my kind of Marvel Hero, even more so since the last few years

brilliant. Suddenly, Punisher wouldn't be so cool

Yeah over the last year or so The Punisher has really...rubbed me the wrong way. I still enjoy the character and the stories that come with him, but seeing a white guy with all those weapons killings gangsters and whatnot in droves being idolized by the police is not a good feeling.

Also the recent Bojack Horseman episode about guns is super relevant to this situation.

Considering the amount of people who seem to glorify Punisher rather than respond to him as the piece of shit that he is, I'm inclined to agree.

reminder that the star of this show has openly said that he thinks the veneration of the character by members of the military and law enforcement is worthy of respect rather than contempt and disgust

Jon Bernthal said:
The Punisher means so much to so many people, and it lives in so many different people's heads, so they care about it so much. That's huge to me, and I understand it. I'm familiar with the comic book audience from my time on The Walking Dead: They're very intelligent, loyal and passionate. This character also resonates deeply with law enforcement and military. People go into battle for our country with the Punisher logo on their equipment, their body armor, their vehicles, and they die for their country with that logo on them. There's no words for how much that means to me. This is a real honor and responsibility to try and get this right. It's not even about whether people like it or not, it's about people believing it and believing in him.

PixelatedBookake

giphy.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
hopefully they'll follow by pulling the show altogether

only half-joking, the character's popularity with the military and law enforcement is absolutely disgusting

I wonder if they know that the Punisher has killed cops.

Let's take a second and be real - what really separates Punisher from Jason Bourne types?

Not much. The main thing that sets him apart is he comes from a world of heroes that don't kill.

That said, police idolizing the Punisher? Terrifying.

Military...? A little less terrifying, but still kind of concerning. At least they have actual rules for when they can and can't kill people...

Number_6

He's a working actor doing a puff piece to promote a show, and that's his audience.

Personally, I'd give him another chance, that is, I'd like to hear what he has to say now, before becoming disgusted with him.

Still disgusted by the cops with punisher shit though. Like, the character is a dangerous lunatic.

Let's take a second and be real - what really separates Punisher from Jason Bourne types?

Not much. The main thing that sets him apart is he comes from a world of heroes that don't kill.

That said, police idolizing the Punisher? Terrifying.

Military...? A little less terrifying, but still kind of concerning. At least they have actual rules for when they can and can't kill people...

Jason Bourne was an anti-government hero because the government was shady and corrupt, and he came at a time when the country's perception of the government was that it was shady and corrupt.

The Punisher is also an anti-government "hero", but in the sense of "grr these useless pansy government types put up too much red tape that gets in the way of what REALLY needs to be done."

So yeah, optics.

kevin1025

Banned
Wow, it might have shadow dropped on Saturday? Interesting. I always thought it'd be their November show.

But yeah, pulling the panel was the right thing to do at the moment.

Top Bottom