• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s ‘Punisher’ Pulled From New York Comic-Con Following Las Vegas Shooting

If i was Netflix i wouldn't and if i felt push back from the community i would push it to the 13th. Terrible tragedy and i understand pulling it from the event but at some point it has to air.

Most rumors had it going for November anyway. It'll air this year, I'm sure of it.

In the beginning of Kitchen Irish for example, a bomb goes off at the bar opposite a cafe Frank was sitting in, he later finds out that the bad guys expected him to be in the bar and not the cafe, but the blast still kills tons of innocent people and Frank lives...to go take down the Irish Mob in extremely violent fashion.

Frank wasn't the target. He just happened to be there.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Fox delayed 24 after 9-11 and that was also the right call.

Give it a month and come back to it.

Anung

Un Rama
They made the right call.

Frank and his fetishisation by the Police and Army has become problematic. Frank only really works for me when it's like MAX and he's portrayed as a fucking psycho killing machine who uses his families deaths as an excuse to go on a murder spree and only looks good in comparison to the over the top evil people he is killing (like the sex traffickers)

Any anti-hero or kinda heroic reading just can't work for me now. It's why I'm hoping this show isn't going to make his family dying a big conspiracy. You should only feel sympathetic towards Frank to a point. He is a monster.

NEO0MJ

Frank wasn't the target. He just happened to be there.

Speaking of Kitchen Irish, in the end when Frank helped that young soldier find and kill his dad's killer, he and the general who helped him find Frank had this small conversation.

cm_f1-4.jpeg

The last panel was Frank walking away still looking miserable. I like how the writer was saying that anyone who idolizes him was missing the point.

Any anti-hero or kinda heroic reading just can't work for me now. It's why I'm hoping this show isn't going to make his family dying a big conspiracy. You should only feel sympathetic towards Frank to a point. He is a monster.
Which is why I actually like how he's been portrayed in his Netflix form. He's never been a hero, just different levels along the spectrum of psycho.

It makes the whole idea of giving him his own series touchy, but they've won me over enough to give them the benefit of the doubt at least.

The Mule

I'm split on this.

On one hand I think it was the right decision.

On the other it feels like a completely empty gesture. The show was still made, it will still be released, and it glorifies gratuitous violence...

If they announced that they were going to bury to show, never to be released, and stop making entertainment featuring so much violence, then... well, that would be something meaningful.

This is meaningless.

Good. I never read comics or the Punisher to be exact. Last Holiday my brother had me take home a Christmas comic of the Punisher. Couldn't believe what I saw(read?). WTF! Disturbing.

styl3s

Most rumors had it going for November anyway. It'll air this year, I'm sure of it.
I kept hearing October 13th or November 13th. I always had my bet on November 13th because as far as i know Netflix has never stealth dropped a BIG show like this and they just started doing billboards and heavy advertising which makes sense for a early-mid November release.

Anung

Un Rama
Which is why I actually like how he's been portrayed in his Netflix form. He's never been a hero, just different levels along the spectrum of psycho.

It makes the whole idea of giving him his own series touchy, but they've won me over enough to give them the benefit of the doubt at least.

The good will earned by DD season 2 and the fact they have someone from Hannibal working on this means I have faith. Hannibal isn't a bad example of how he should be handled actually.

But it is a fine line they are treading with this character especially with the way things are right now.

I kept hearing October 13th or November 13th. I always had my bet on November 13th because as far as i know Netflix has never stealth dropped a BIG show like this and they just started doing billboards and heavy advertising which makes sense for a early-mid November release.
Hell, release close to Halloween where some space is allowed for the macabre.

kewlmyc

Good on them for making that decision. Wait for premiere the show as well until some time November or December.

I'm split on this.

On one hand I think it was the right decision.

On the other it feels like a completely empty gesture. The show was still made, it will still be released, and it glorifies gratuitous violence...

If they announced that they were going to bury to show, never to be released, and stop making entertainment featuring so much violence, then... well, that would be something meaningful.

This is meaningless.
This is about presenting something under better circumstances.

Forward

The Punisher has always been an extended issue of Marvel's "What If", crossing into D.C. territory.

The Punisher is "What If Batman had a Gun?", basically. He is supposed to be, and is at his very best as a character, when he is portrayed as a broken shell consumed with both rage and sorrow, from whence everything human is slowly draining away, or being consumed by his rage... including his sorrow. He is meant to be seen as an empty man - a machine still going, long after it has served its purpose, and lost all human function. He got his revenge IN HIS ORIGINAL MINI SERIES, for crying out loud. He's a broken record of the cycle of revenge. He's his own Old Yeller.

Geist-

Probably for the best. Still disappointed, but it's the right move.
The Punisher has always been an extended issue of Marvel's "What If", crossing into D.C. territory.

The Punisher is "What If Batman had a Gun?", basically. He is supposed to be, and is at his very best as a character, when he is portrayed as a broken shell consumed with both rage and sorrow, from whence everything human is slowly draining away, or being consumed by his rage... including his sorrow. He is meant to be seen as an empty man - a machine still going, long after it has served its purpose, and lost all human function. He got his revenge IN HIS ORIGINAL MINI SERIES, for crying out loud. He's a broken record of the cycle of revenge. He's his own Old Yeller.
It's probably the fact that so many bad writers have gotten a hold of his character over the years that so many people can only see his character through the most superficial lens of "the hero who kills". It's a classic problem with many superheroes, except that at his worst the Punisher is glorifying extrajudicial killings.

He's a great character when he has good writers, but even as a huge fan I can see how problematic he is as a character now that he has become such an influential pop culture symbol in America, the land of guns.

KonradLaw

Probably a good move. I just hope they won't delay the show itself. Especially since this is USA, there's pretty good chance that if you delay the show there might be a new shooting by the time the newly set date comes. This is what happened first season of Shooter.

I’m not understanding the Punisher-bashing, the character has always been an anti-hero at best and is generally treated with distain by the bulk of the Marvel universe.

Ennis gave the character an incredible amount of depth and complexity because his version of Castle knows he’s a monster but his rage – which has reached a crescendo of genuine sociopathy – supersedes his ability to stop murdering criminals yet he’s also a tragic figure who is capable of introspection and occasional flourishes of genuine humanity. (The Barracuda arc where he discovers he has a daughter is gut-wrenching in places)

There were 10 issues of The Punisher Armory. The nuances of the character are "Should I murder this guy with a Glock or a Desert Eagle?". Paddock's arsenal was comparable.
No harm in waiting a week or 2 to glorify this "lifestyle".

TheOddOne

- Variety: Netflix Cancels Paris Event for ‘The Punisher’ After Las Vegas Shooting.
Netflix has canceled an upcoming event in Paris for Marvel series “The Punisher,” following a similar decision to ditch a panel on the violence-ridden show at New York Comic-Con. The streaming giant said the moves were in response to the shooting massacre in Las Vegas.

The Paris event, scheduled for Saturday, was called Nuit Noire (Black Night) and was to be held at the Cirque d’Hiver, a historical monument that is home to the world’s oldest permanent circus. Netflix had planned to screen the first two episodes of “The Punisher” and simulcast the New York Comic-Con panel.

So I actually was thinking about this as shower thoughts yesterday given that the character was more a product of his time (high crime in urban areas received heavy media coverage) and wondered just how the Punisher fits in the current climate. I wondered if the show or Marvel will address his character within a more "realistic" setting with mass shootings being a common occurrence.

They made the right call.

Frank and his fetishisation by the Police and Army has become problematic. Frank only really works for me when it's like MAX and he's portrayed as a fucking psycho killing machine who uses his families deaths as an excuse to go on a murder spree and only looks good in comparison to the over the top evil people he is killing (like the sex traffickers)

The Punisher is the very definition of antihero.

br3wnor

He's not really meant to be a hero, but that doesn't mean he can't be a great protagonist.

Exactly. You’re allowed to have protagonist’s who are shitty people but also not villains. I fucking LOVE the Punisher comics, one of my favorite characters out there. Do I idolize him? Of course not. Is he a good person? No. Is him going on rampages and killing tons of people good comic book fodder? Absolutely. He’s a broken man who’s family was murdered and the only way he can function is by doing what he thinks is the noble mission of wiping out criminals using immense violence.

There’s no ‘good’ time to release a Punisher series in the US because we’ve become a country where mass shootings are going to happen almost every day, it’s just something the country has accepted. I understand Netflix pulling from comic-con to avoid bad press, but there’s no reason for them to delay the release of the actual show more than a few weeks.

Let's be honest, most people do.

He’s a fictional character who basically acts like the bogeyman for horrible, violent criminals.

It’s understandable that people get a certain pleasure from him doing bad things to bad people.

Now, those who emulate him as the ideal cop or soldier, well, that’s another story entirely…

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He’s a fictional character who basically acts like the bogeyman for horrible, violent criminals.

It’s understandable that people get a certain pleasure from him doing bad things to bad people.

Now, those who emulate him as the ideal cop or soldier, well, that’s another story entirely…

Its like Charles Bronson in Death Wish. Most people don't really acknowledge what a fucked up person he is and the terrible shit he's doing because its cathartic to see evil caricatures get blown away by a bad ass with a chip on his shoulder and an axe to grind.

EYEL1NER

Exactly. You’re allowed to have protagonist’s who are shitty people but also not villains. I fucking LOVE the Punisher comics, one of my favorite characters out there. Do I idolize him? Of course not. Is he a good person? No. Is him going on rampages and killing tons of people good comic book fodder? Absolutely. He’s a broken man who’s family was murdered and the only way he can function is by doing what he thinks is the noble mission of wiping out criminals using immense violence.

There’s no ‘good’ time to release a Punisher series in the US because we’ve become a country where mass shootings are going to happen almost every day, it’s just something the country has accepted. I understand Netflix pulling from comic-con to avoid bad press, but there’s no reason for them to delay the release of the actual show more than a few weeks.
Pretty much how I feel about The Punisher too. I love the comics, the character, the movies (Tom Jane Punisher and War Zone, don't care to watch the Dolph film). I also don't wish anyone like that existed or think it's something for someone to aspire to. I don't even support capital punishment.

We live in a day of 24 hour news coverage that is amplified by social media. I fully expect Netflix to push this into early 2018 at this point. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, just what I'm expecting.

Boem

Never underestimate the capacity of people to misunderstand the shows they're watching. See: Rick in Rick & Morty, Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad. Some people just don't get that these characters aren't meant to be heroes. And the shows aren't exactly subtle about it either.

Damn he really missed the point of the character.

I think people are taking that quote out of context. To me it sounds like he is trying to express how he will do his best playing the character as he understands how far Punisher's fandom goes. I don't think he meant anything political by but people gotta make everything political these days.

But I guess that's just people, take every single thing out of context to match their political views.

How about blaming the interviewer for not delving deeper whether he meant it politically or metaphorically.

How about getting pissed at your gov't for allowing such unprofessional behavior of the people who represent the state or country? Only in America is this crap allowed.

Top Bottom