• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel and ABC developing another spin-off show around Peggy Carter (Captain America)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/19/marvel-and-abc-developing-agent-peggy-carter-tv-show

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/marvel-developing-agent-carter-tv-series/

Marvel and ABC are just a few days away from the debut of their first TV show, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but the next potential Marvel series is already in the very early stages of development. Deadline reports that there is a possible Agent Carter series in the works for ABC, as in Peggy Carter, the character first seen in live-action in Captain America:: The First Avenger, where she was played by Haley Atwell.

Atwell is reprising her role in a short that will be seen on next week's release of the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray and DVD, which it seems may now function as a pilot of sorts for a potential Agent Carter series. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. itself first had its beginnings via the Item 47 short that appeared on The Avengers Blu-ray and DVD, which led to Marvel thinking S.H.I.E.L.D. could be a good concept for an ongoing series. Deadline notes that the secretive Marvel will not comment on the Agent Carter project and that it is one of several possible TV shows they are developing. A writer is currently being sought for Agent Carter and the big question is whether Atwell would reprise the role if the projbect comes to fruition.

As Deadline points out, Agent Carter might be a good fit for the female-skewing ABC. Previously, ABC and Marvel were developing AKA Jessica Jones, based on Brian Bendis' Alias comic book, but that show never came to be. What makes Agent Cater especially notable is that it is a period piece, as well as a Marvel comics adaptation.

EXCLUSIVE: The “one shot” short films featured as extras on Marvel movies’ DVD releases are becoming a hotbed for TV series ideas. After one such short, Item 47 on The Avengers DVD about the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., led to the new ABC/Marvel series, another one may also spawn a series project for ABC. Marvel is notoriously secretive about their development, and no one would comment, but I hear the company is working on a concept for a potential TV series inspired by Agent Carter, a one shot, which will be featured on the upcoming Blu-ray release of Iron Man 3. Directed by Marvel Studios co-president Louis D’Esposito, Agent Carter brings back Captain America’s girlfriend Peggy Carter, Marvel Agent Carter TV Series played by Hayley Atwell, and chronicles her life as a budding secret agent after her boyfriend is stranded in ice. (Watch a clip below.) I hear the project is in very early stages, one of several in the works at Marvel, and is in the process of locking in a writer. It is unclear if Atwell would reprise her role if Agent Carter comes to fruition. A Marvel action series with a female lead would fit right into ABC’s wheelhouse of female-skewing dramas with a strong lead and would be a throwback to such network series as Alias. The Iron Man 3 DVD with the Agent Carter short will be released next Tuesday, the same day Marvel’s first series for ABC, Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., debuts.

tumblr_ma9024KPFd1rw2uyvo2_1280.jpg

hayley-atwell-8.jpg

Sounds potentially exciting, though I imagine it'd be a bit of a harder sell. SHIELD already resonates with a lot of people who have seen the Avengers (which was a lot of people). But even if you did see Captain America, you might not recall agent Carter - or why she'd be interesting to follow as a standalone series.

rakhir

She wasn't nearly as charismatic and lovable as Coulson was in all the movies, so I don't know how a show can be built around her, but a woman-centric period piece could be fun to see.

And she's pretty.

She wasn't nearly as charismatic and lovable as Coulson was in all the movies, so I don't know how a show can be built around her, but a woman-centric period piece could be fun to see.

And she's pretty.

i've seen drywall that was more memorable than that.

at least this girl's a super cutie. plus i don't really care about the marvel ties to this. if they can pull off a decent 40s spy show that sounds great to me.

Prompto

Banned

And she's pretty.
Peggy is way better than Coulson and her short film was also better than all the crappy Coulson ones. I'm already more interested in this than Agents of Shield.

Quick

Banned
I thought she could've been utilized better in Captain America, but she was one of my favourite bits about the movie.

And she's going to be in Captain America: The Winter Solider, so there's a bit of a refresher and a set-up for people who might need it.

Picture, because why not.

rakhir

i've seen drywall that was more memorable than that.
Peggy is way better than Coulson and her short film was also better than all the crappy Coulson ones. I'm already more interested in this than Agents of Shield.
At the start, i agree - Coulson wasn't memorable at all, but in every movie they gave him more and more personality. But, to be fair, I watched his short (gas station stuff was great) and read a lot of backstory, and wasn't really interested in Carter beyond the Captain America movie, didn't watch her short.

But i'll watch her series, don't worry about that :p

Whoa! Never would have imagined they'd do more with Carter. But then it says it's still not confirmed.

Marvel just keeps shooting for the top. I just hope they don't get overconfident and it backfires on them.

I'm down, IF Atwell is in.

I mean, I'm sure I'd watch it anyway, it's Marvel, but it wouldn't be the same with someone else in the role.

TheMan

This would bomb so hard. Her character was not nearly memorable enough to warrant an entire standalone series.

drspeedy

I'm all for more comic/sci-fi/action out there, but the last 10 years of super hero movies have managed to generate exactly 4 good ones and 24 utter crap movies.

Sadly, that's seemingly true on television as well, for every one Fringe/Alphas we get 3 Revolutions/Heroes. And ABC is already getting big fantasy numbers from the Disney-Drama crowd with Once Upon a Time and now a spin off... are they really going to be committed to comic shows, and do they even know how to, for that matter?

basically: I have no faith that ABC will pull this off. SHIELD and Agent Carter are both destined for a mediocre first season, the proverbial sophomore slump in season 2 and cancelled.

sorry so gloomy, I just don't see this being executed very well based on what's being put on TV these days, the cookie cutter drama formula won't work for this genre.

Works for me. I was confused as to why she wasn't straight up playing Sharon too, but c'est la vie.

Also, if you're watching freaking Pillars of the Earth (one of my favorite miniseries ever) for boobies, you're probably watching the wrong show :p

Constant amount of religious persecution though, that's a goldmine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom