• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel and ABC developing another spin-off show around Peggy Carter (Captain America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aett

Did you guys not see the red dress scene in Captain America? Or the fact that she filled out her uniform extremely well?!

Uncle

Holy fuck where was she hiding dem WMDs in Captain America?

naijYUy.jpg

Where were they hiding these in Captain America?!?!?

http://i.imgur.com/WsGF01f.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oakgLAO.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=ivhq0gwtmemjmwmpgf.gif][img]http://abload.de/img/ivhq0gwtmemjmwmpgf.gif[/url]

Best part of the entire episode.

I'm all for more comic/sci-fi/action out there, but the last 10 years of super hero movies have managed to generate exactly 4 good ones and 24 utter crap movies.

Sadly, that's seemingly true on television as well, for every one Fringe/Alphas we get 3 Revolutions/Heroes. And ABC is already getting big fantasy numbers from the Disney-Drama crowd with Once Upon a Time and now a spin off... are they really going to be committed to comic shows, and do they even know how to, for that matter?

basically: I have no faith that ABC will pull this off. SHIELD and Agent Carter are both destined for a mediocre first season, the proverbial sophomore slump in season 2 and cancelled.

sorry so gloomy, I just don't see this being executed very well based on what's being put on TV these days, the cookie cutter drama formula won't work for this genre.

I don't think it's too cut and dry when I can't even really guess which movies your "4 good ones" are.

Maybe:

Iron Man
Spider Man 2
Xmen 2
The Dark Knight

?

Or do you like BB better? Or does the Avengers go on the list? There's no known consensus or even enough of one to know which ones you mean. And the rest are "utter crap"?

The message merits repeating. I thought she looked stunning throughout the film, but simply breathtaking in that scene. I have no idea how people could have missed it. Them. Ahem.

So true. In the theater, when she made her entrance in this scene, you literally heard men go "whoah!"

lenovox1

Sounds potentially exciting, though I imagine it'd be a bit of a harder sell. SHIELD already resonates with a lot of people who have seen the Avengers (which was a lot of people). But even if you did see Captain America, you might not recall agent Carter - or why she'd be interesting to follow as a standalone series.

Got to get women that aren't into comic book franchises into a comic book franchise somehow. ABC is predominantly female focused. Post war dramas with strong female leads do well on PBS, so this shouldn't be too hard of a sell from that point of view.

The message merits repeating. I thought she looked stunning throughout the film, but simply breathtaking in that scene. I have no idea how people could have missed it. Them. Ahem.

That scene was great on so many levels. Steve bonding with the men he saved and forming the Howling Commandos, and then in walks Agent Carter, looking like an angel. Steve of course is just awestruck, but it is Bucky's reaction to it all that seals how great the scene is. And Steve is completely oblivious to the fact of how much attention he gets from women now.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/10/02/hayley-atwell-interested-in-peggy-carter-tv-show

A few weeks ago, we learned that Marvel and ABC are reportedly in the early stages of developing an Agent Carter TV series, based on Marvel's Peggy Carter character, who was first seen in live-action in Captain America: The First Avenger and played by Hayley Atwell. The news came one week before the official release of Marvel's Agent Carter One-Shot (on the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray), which could be a launchpad for the potential TV show.

In a recent interview with Digital Spy, Atwell was asked if she'd heard anything about the project, to which she replied, "I read about that too. The One-Shot was so successful, the fanbase were like, 'We want more of Peggy!' I think Marvel probably take that very seriously, and it's certainly something I would be a part of doing. I'd be interested to show different sides of Peggy."

She continued, "Although she's kick-ass, and she can be aggressive and she can be just as competent as the men, it'd be nice to show that she's a feminist in a way. It's not just about her being aggressive and as aggressive as the men in those action sequences, but being able to be a little bit more rounded as a person. I think she could be a great role model and a great member of the Marvel Universe. I love the Marvel lot, they're really great people to work with, so it would be nice to go back and work with them again. I'd definitely do it."

Just like no one would watch a series about Coulson.

Yeah dude, that show is tottaallllly about COULSON. the commercials slap AVENGERS onto it as much as possible, and I'm willing to bet most people that saw the avengers don't even remember coulson.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously? Of all the Marvel characters they could do a show about.. Peggy Carter?I didn't even know who this was til I seen the pictures. I can't think of a single reason why this should be made or why I should watch it but OK.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Everyone should watch Black Mirror, it is a phenomenal tv show and there are only six episodes. Just six. Could do it in a day if you want. Hayley Atwell is in the first episode of the second series, 'be right back' and is very good in it. I liked her character in Captain America too, it could make for a nice television show. Especially a period piece, which would be quite different.

kmag

Just watched it. It's available streaming online from here with subtitles

Tonally far better than Agents of SHIELD, some meh dialogue, some decent cameos. I don't think a show would work but I wouldn't mind see more of Peggy in this format, perhaps building up the history of shield as we progress through the BR releases of phase 2 would be an interesting way to do it. Or just have her freeze rayed and brought back into Cap America 3: the love triangle.

kmag

Actually, I think an action-adventure spy show set in the 1940s would work BETTER than SHIELD is currently doing right now.

Probably I just don't think it would be terribly successful. Carter was one of the better things about Captain America (which would have worked better as two films before the deep freeze, the WW2 as montage was just so disappointing).

That was great. I like the idea of having Howard Stark in some/all episodes. Could be a great dynamic between him and Peggy. Credits and post credit scenes were pretty great too.

Watching that also confirms we need more spy shows and shows set in the 40's.

Considering how the Agent Carter one-shot ended, I think
having a flashback episode(s) to the beginnings of SHIELD with her and the crew from the Captain America movie would be a great idea, maybe even a trial run for the series itself

Maybe
it could be a similar thing to Fringe season 3, where instead of doing an episode of Over Here and Over There, it's current SHIELD and past SHIELD. Perhaps it could be linked to a certain storyline in which something that is going on in the present has its origins in the founding of SHIELD and so we have the flashbacks to give the current crew and us the viewer some perspective
. Not for a whole season, of course, but for a time. There really is much they can do if they put their minds to it.

Spoiler tags just in case some haven't seen the Agent Carter one-shot yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom