• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel and Star Wars are "Not Off-Limits" for Kingdom Hearts 3

Kain

Fuck Marvel, I want Indy + Star Wars in my Kingdom Hearts.

If they could work in Tron and Pirates of the Caribbean I don't see any reason why the Lucasarts franchises wouldn't fit. Remember: they had a world for Tron. TRON. Let that sink in a little.

Just imagine a stage inside the Death Star or in the Temple of Doom. Chills and happiness my friends, chills and happiness.

mclem

So, hang on. If they're not off-limits, does that mean we can have a world set in the Muppet Theatre, please? That's what I really want.

nictron

2386729-9576892294-Annoy.gif

Sorry, including Marvel and Star Wars would ruin the series for me. KH has always featured Disney CREATED characters, not ones they bought. Star Wars and Marvel would just be out of place for me. There's plenty of new worlds they can put in like Frozen, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph. Hell, I'd love to see a Phineas and Ferb or Gravity Falls world.

Are you familiar with the brothers Grimm? 1001 Arabian Nights? Hans Christian Anderson?

Santar

I'm getting a bit tired of marvel heroes, they're everywhere these days.
Personally I hope they keep Kingdom Hearts about Disney.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
They might show off some old star wars stuff, but going too far into Marvel's insanely huge pool of lore/characters would risk diluting things, considering Nomura already has 13 games' characters to draw on (even if it's mostly 7 and onwards)

He's still got to fit Lightning in, and I'm sure Disney's gonna make sure Elsa will get thrown in somewhere as well.

Rocky

Banned
I'm pretty sure that they bought Winnie the Pooh and that wasn't a disney creation.

Plus stuff like alice and wonderland was just an adaptation of a book NOT owned by disney.

and nightmare has some weirdness to its creation too, what with Tim Burton working at disney when he came up with the idea but not when they actually began to work on it and stuff.

It's a weird distinction to make unless you just dont want star wars/marvel in the games and are trying to find a reason not to (they aren't "classic" disney which is silly but I guess thats your call)

People completely missing the point. The Winnie the Pooh movies were drawn by Disney artists at Disney Studios. So was Alice in Wonderland. The iterations we see in KH were created by Disney. Marvel Superheroes were not, likewise Star Wars characters.

Are you familiar with the brothers Grimm? 1001 Arabian Nights? Hans Christian Anderson?

Yes, very familiar. But again, the Brothers Grimm didn't create those movies and Disney just bought them, likewise Hans Christian Anderson, or Carlo Collodi or Lewis Carroll.

They might show off some old star wars stuff, but going too far into Marvel's insanely huge pool of lore/characters would risk diluting things, considering Nomura already has 13 games' characters to draw on (even if it's mostly 7 and onwards)

He's still got to fit Lightning in, and I'm sure Disney's gonna make sure Elsa will get thrown in somewhere as well.

Hoth is the new Traverse Town

Bobby Drake is the shop keep, Anna is the item vendor, and you fight Shiva in an AT-AT in a late game secret boss fight

ubercheez

I love Kingdom Hearts, and I love Star Wars and Marvel, but I'm not sure they're a good fit. Plenty of new Disney and Pixar movies to pick from.

I feel like sticking to animated/CGI worlds will generally work out better. Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't so great in KH2. Tron was fantastic, but that's because it was a highly stylized movie with a very other-worldly aesthetic. So maaaaybe Asgard might work. But still, so many other non-SW/Marvel options.

But hey, I've loved the games so far. I'll trust their judgment.

Toad.T

Banned
Does Disney fully own Lucasarts as well? Because if we could get Grim Fandango as a summon...

Well, I'd lose my shit, to put it lightly.

SykoTech

I don't see why anyone would think that they were off limits. Especially the Marvel Universe, which has already crossed over with the Disney Universe in video games (Disney Infinity). But nice to get the confirmation, I guess.

Looking forward to not see any X-Men or Fantastic Four characters due to movie license drama. :/

Joeku

As far as fitting into the look and tone, wouldn't Star Wars Rebels work out pretty well? Not that I wouldn't want to see classic stuff get jumbled together too, but hey, there you go.

Also I know this would never ever for many reasons happen but I'd love a Kane & Lynch world. It would be so dumb.

Pizza

i feel like kingdom hearts loses out on something when not "crossing the streams" in terms of worlds. Why cant I team up with spiderman, riding howl's moving castle, racing towards Darth Vader for a showdown before he uses the heartless-powered death star to blow up the Ghibli World?

My brother wants Star Wars but I'd rather have Marvel. I doubt we'll be getting both in KH3.

Also, if I can get an Incredibles world, my life would be complete.

Azure J

I don't care for fighting a duo team of Sephiroth and Darth Vader, let me play in this city already damnit
St._canard.png

...and tag team with the greatest superhero of them all
Darkwing_Duck.jpg

No lies, Disney Afternoon (specifically, TaleSpin & Darkwing Duck) being in this game might get me from curiously willing to GIVE ME THAT SHIT NOW.

Also Pixar, The Great Mouse Detective (could you fucking imagine the Clock Tower scene vs. Ratigan on PS4), Rescuers Down Under & Gravity Falls.

Expected, but I feel Disney will have tighter focus on key franchise. So yeah, Star Wars, Frozen and Avengers.

Would expect Disney to still maintain the world segregation rather than everyone invading world's e.g. no Darth Vader invading Arendelle. Unless... he acts like Maleficent! Oo!

As long as it fits the "plot", and more importantly, plays good. No sing-along/Atlantica blehness, please!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hoth is the new Traverse Town

Bobby Drake is the shop keep, Anna is the item vendor, and you fight Shiva in an AT-AT in a late game secret boss fight

Allofmymoney.jpeg.

But in all seriousness, Darth isn't a 'comedic' villain like Maleficent or Pete is. It'd be...tough to fit him in as a secondary villain (due to Xenohart/the heartless/the nobodies still needing to take the 'central' antagonist role)

Espada

Well, it depends on whether Disney will okay mixing Marvel superheroes and Star Wars with their other properties. We got Pirates of the Caribbean and TRON, but these two are on a whole other level. That said, a Frozen world where Elsa is a party member is pretty much a lock.

Hopefully they don't bring back Atlantica, Wonderland, Olympus Coliseum, etc... back.

Shojx

I personally don't want to see either as I have no interest in them. When it comes to the Disney worlds, I want to see more of their 2D / 3D animated features. It's good to see they're considering a lot of new things this time, though.

Well, it depends on whether Disney will okay mixing Marvel superheroes and Star Wars with their other properties. We got Pirates of the Caribbean and TRON, but these two are on a whole other level. That said, a Frozen world where Elsa is a party member is pretty much a lock.

Hopefully they don't bring back Atlantica, Wonderland, Olympus Coliseum, etc... back.

Anna is the party member, Elsa is the "villain". Seems more likely.

Make Olaf the villain, I say.

Espada

Anna is the party member, Elsa is the "villain". Seems more likely.

Make Olaf the villain, I say.

I doubt Disney would give the okay to treat Elsa like a villain. She'd be like the companions you get throughout the series, and the fact that she has ice powers (where her sister has... nothing) only increases the likelihood of this happening.

Bogard

No lies, Disney Afternoon (specifically, TaleSpin & Darkwing Duck) being in this game might get me from curiously willing to GIVE ME THAT SHIT NOW.

Also Pixar, The Great Mouse Detective (could you fucking imagine the Clock Tower scene vs. Ratigan on PS4), Rescuers Down Under & Gravity Falls.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wants Disney Afternoon worlds. Specifically, Adventures of the Gummi Bears is at the top of my wishlist. Wishful thinking though, as they're sadly far too obscure and forgotten now to ever see a KH game.

Philippo

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

No please, i could barely digest FF characters, let alone Marvel/SW ones.
Small cammeos, easter eggs are welcome, but that's it.

Oh, and Frozen/Big Hero 6 worlds please.

Sesha

Oh fuck me Ratigan would be brilliant. Have Maurice LaMarche voice him and it would be perfect.

The weakest link on this whole scenario is Square Enix :/

They've got FF, Saga, Mana, DQ, Chronoverse, Xenogears, Parasite Eve and others, along with Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman, The Legacy of Kain. Not on the level of Marvel, Star Wars, Disney or Pixar, but, not bad either. Weakest is relative. Problem is besides FF and maybe DQ none of these will show.

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

No please, i could barely digest FF characters, let alone Marvel/SW ones.
Small cammeos, easter eggs are welcome, but that's it.

Oh, and Frozen/Big Hero 6 worlds please.

Big Hero 6 is Marvel, breh.

Anth0ny

Yeah right.

Kingdom Hearts featuring Disney + Pixar + Star Wars + Marvel could be the biggest thing ever. EVER.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I would be very surprised to see any Marvel or Star Wars in KH3. Disney seems so protective over both. Now, Frozen, Tangled, and Big Hero 6? Yeah. I can see those.

Told ya'll. If there isn't a Frozen, Avengers, and GoTG world I'll eat my keyboard. Disney is going for complete brand synergy.

nictron

Yes, very familiar. But again, the Brothers Grimm didn't create those movies and Disney just bought them, likewise Hans Christian Anderson, or Carlo Collodi or Lewis Carroll.

Disney didn't buy anything other than Marvel and Star Wars. All those other stories are public domain.

So much has changed since the last Kingdom Hearts game came out. When the first 2 were released Disney was a shadow of its former self and feeding off past glories but now Disney has become the dominant force in holiday pumping out hit after hit incdluing the MCU, frozen, Star Wars, big hero 6, etc. and that's not even considering the Pixar stuff.

I hope they include a princess and the front world and also don't forget about some of their classic IP like Robin Hood and Jungle Book.

Top Bottom