• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel and Star Wars are "Not Off-Limits" for Kingdom Hearts 3

Disney didn't buy anything other than Marvel and Star Wars. All those other stories are public domain.

Wrong. They bought Pixar, abc, and ESPN. Also they didn't just buy Star Wars they bought lucasfilm. Many of the stories Disney has made over the years were NOT public domain. They had to pay for the rights from the authors.

Andodalf

Banned
Lol this thread.

"I don't want marvel"

"give me big hero six"

"New stuff would ruin the franchise"

Game has freaking pirates of the Caribbean and is built in a setting with infinite possibilities for worlds.

I myself would love a Robin hood stage.

Sesha

Wrong. They bought Pixar, abc, and ESPN. Also they didn't just buy Star Wars they bought lucasfilm. Many of the stories Disney has made over the years were NOT public domain. They had to pay for the rights from the authors.

Could we potentially have The Fonz, Doogie Howser, Tim Taylor, Castle and MacGyver along with Guybrush Threepwood and Manny Calavera too? Holy shit lol!

Does Disney fully own Lucasarts as well? Because if we could get Grim Fandango as a summon...

Well, I'd lose my shit, to put it lightly.

To my knowledge, Disney now owns all of the assets of Lucasfilm including all Lucasarts non Star Wars IPs.

Now would they actually use Grimm Fandango is a different issue entirely.

NateDog

Might have already been mentioned but Nomura mentioned that he wanted to include a Star Wars world if possible around the time of the Disney acquisition (which was a while ago if I remember correctly) and that it was always a possibility. Not a big surprise.

IHaveIce

Banned
That just t ells us KH3 is still in the planning phase right now and it still take years.

:'( They have to realize they have to be quick to get things right and with the Hype, nobody will care for a Frozen world in 2017 when Frozen 2 is already out and Frozen still not has a classic status.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
What about the Muppets? Disney owns that, too.

I just want to see Sora interact with the Swedish Chef, is that too much to ask?

EDIT: As mentioned above, they also own ESPN. Hopefully this means that the main villain is Skip Bayless.

The Lamp

They sound like they're still only in the world-"considering" stage, in which case, what the fuck have you been doing for the past year-and-a-half? Good grief. Any competent game studio would be halfway done with their fucking game by now.

They sound like they're still only in the world-"considering" stage, in which case, what the fuck have you been doing for the past year-and-a-half? Good grief. Any competent game studio would be halfway done with their fucking game by now.

That's the first thing that I thought of. I'm gonna be so excited to finally play this on my ps5

They're not going to outright confirm or deny new worlds via some random interview, but I think Frozen is guaranteed. Marvel is a maybe, and Star Wars... eh, at the rate Square is going, Episode 7 will be old news by the time Kingdom Hearts III is out.

Star Wars (New Movie - Series gains attention again)

Frozen (Push sales - all those little Girls)

Toy Story (Great Gameplay ideas - extremely popular)

Monsters, Inc. (Would fit into the story - Scared - Heartless)

Nemo (a new waterworld - instead of Arielle)

Tinkerbell (instead of Peter Pan)

A Marvel World

I think there will be a high variety of different Worlds to attract as many fans,costumers and children/families as possible.
Also the Worlds have to make sense in terms of Gameply and Story

For me Toy Story is a must Have - I want that world by all means.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Would this fit?

c49.gif

ONWARDS+AOSHIMA!.gif

Dat Mabel Assist

C82le7b.gif

Star Wars would work is the "world" is presented a la Monstro or Neverland in KH1.

The more I think about it, the more I want a Jungle Book world like the Atlantica world in KH2.

I don't care for fighting a duo team of Sephiroth and Darth Vader, let me play in this city already damnit
St._canard.png

...and tag team with the greatest superhero of them all
Darkwing_Duck.jpg

Oh god, yes yes yes.

Darkwing Duck is literally my favourite character Disney has ever created. It will never happen, but I´d love to see him in there .

Sorry, just because Disney has deep pockets to buy these franchises doesn't mean they should be in Kingdom Hearts.

Do. Not. Want.

PaulMc_CarKeys

Neo Member
Here's how we make a Marvel world work.

Instead of trying to figure out what to implement from decades upon decades of comic books,have it somewhat follow the original Avengers film.

However, instead of the Tesseract summoning Chitauri, have it summon Heartless. Loki is still the main villain. Can't fit the whole movie? Well, Kingdom Hearts II allowed you to come back to every world later on if I remember correctly, for a "second episode" of story.

I remember Nomura saying something about how in this game, characters that may have previously only inhabited the world or been bystanders will join in the fight. This is a great thing. This means you can still have Sora, Donald and Goofy, but with the Avengers appearing in massive set piece battles (just like in the film) and possibly even randomly within the world, alone or as a group, if you happen to be near them.

Do we need a moral, like Kingdom Hearts I actually did very well with so many Disney worlds? Well, I'm sure there's plenty to be had, especially in interactions Sora could have with Captain America. Sora is fighting with older, more experienced heroes who could easily offer him some wisdom.

What's that, you say? It would be weird to have New York City in Kingdom Hearts? And a guy named Captain America? Let's not forget flying around Big Ben in Kingdom Hearts I and Wendy actually referring to London! And in Kingdom Hearts II, even though Mulan's world is called The Land of Dragons, the Emperor tells her she saved China.

In the Avengers film, towards the end of the battle of New York, the heroes are completely exhausted and the tide starts to turn against them. You could easily portray this as even though they're capable of defeating countless Heartless, they don't have a Keyblade to seal the world and thus the Heartless keep coming, eventually wearing on them.

Live action wouldn't be weird, considering we had Pirates and Tron. There's already a precedent. And while Pirates is debatable (although I liked it), I've never heard anyone complain about Tron's implementation.

There's also a ton of potential for weapons to be gained in this world. Obviously Cap's shield for Goofy, but you could have a Mjolnir staff for Donald and Iron Man could offer to make some "upgrade" to Sora's Keyblade, which would give him a keychain. Characters in Disney worlds have given Sora keychains as presents.

And lastly, if you can't get the actors from the film to do the voices, just use the VAs from the current cartoons. The cartoons themselves may not be the greatest, but the voice actors are pretty damn swell.

The Lamp

Here's how we make a Marvel world work.

Instead of trying to figure out what to implement from decades upon decades of comic books,have it somewhat follow the original Avengers film.

However, instead of the Tesseract summoning Chitauri, have it summon Heartless. Loki is still the main villain. Can't fit the whole movie? Well, Kingdom Hearts II allowed you to come back to every world later on if I remember correctly, for a "second episode" of story.

I remember Nomura saying something about how in this game, characters that may have previously only inhabited the world or been bystanders will join in the fight. This is a great thing. This means you can still have Sora, Donald and Goofy, but with the Avengers appearing in massive set piece battles (just like in the film) and possibly even randomly within the world, alone or as a group, if you happen to be near them.

Do we need a moral, like Kingdom Hearts I actually did very well with so many Disney worlds? Well, I'm sure there's plenty to be had, especially in interactions Sora could have with Captain America. Sora is fighting with older, more experienced heroes who could easily offer him some wisdom.

What's that, you say? It would l weird to have New York City in Kingdom Hearts? And a guy named Captain America? Let's not forget flying around Big Ben in Kingdom Hearts I and Wendy actually referring to London! And in Kingdom Hearts II, even though Mulan's world is called The Land of Dragons, the Emperor tells her she saved China.

In the Avengers film, towards the end of the battle of New York, the heroes are completely exhausted and the tide starts to turn against them. You could easily portray this as even though they're capable of defeating countless Heartless, they don't have a Keyblade to seal the world and thus the Heartless keep coming, eventually wearing on them.

Live action wouldn't be weird, considering we had Pirates and Tron. There's already a precedent. And while Pirates is debatable (although I liked it), I've never heard anyone complain about Tron's implementation.

There's also a ton of potential for weapons to be gained in this world. Obviously Cap's shield for Goofy, but you could have a Mjolnir staff for Donald and Iron Man could offer to make some "upgrade" to Sora's Keyblade, which would give him a keychain. Characters in Disney worlds have given Sora keychains as presents.

And lastly, if you can't get the actors from the film to do the voices, just use the VAs from the current cartoons. The cartoons themselves may not be the greatest, but the voice actors are pretty damn swell.

Yeah you can't really have things like NYC in Kingdom Hearts.

The game falls flat on its face when it tries to portray cities because it never has many NPCs on screen at once. It made the Twilight Town and all the other cities look really dead.

The game falls flat on its face when it tries to portray cities because it never has many NPCs on screen at once. It made the Twilight Town and all the other cities look really dead.

Not saying I want NYC in KH, but are we still in the PS2 era? What makes you think they won't push NPC count on new hardware? C'mon man.

PaulMc_CarKeys

Neo Member

And I see where you're coming from with that. But those same comments Nomura made about characters within the world joining in battles, to me sounded like the worlds would be much more populated. As for enemies, there were a pretty decent amount on screen in that 1,000 Heartless battle in KH II, even if they weren't all there at once.

With how much more powerful the PS4 is than the PS2, it doesn't seem that out there to me to have a massive amount of enemies and a decent number of NPCs. If it wasn't for the fact that NYC is basically a war zone in The Avengers, I think it would be easy to implement civilian NPCs. You could still have civilians, although I guess they'd have to be removed from the action a bit so they're not getting killed constantly (and accidentally by Sora). Still, having the Avengers and even S.H.I.E.L.D Agents as NPCs, not that out there in a massive battle.

Raonak

Banned
2386729-9576892294-Annoy.gif

Sorry, including Marvel and Star Wars would ruin the series for me. KH has always featured Disney CREATED characters, not ones they bought. Star Wars and Marvel would just be out of place for me. There's plenty of new worlds they can put in like Frozen, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph. Hell, I'd love to see a Phineas and Ferb or Gravity Falls world.

Pirates of the Carribean is just as, if not more out of place in the KH world than any marvel stuff.

Presumably if Star Wars and Marvel are candidates, then the LucasArts stuff likely is too. So I'll be pretty mad if we don't get a Wreck it Ralph world populated by Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Maniac Mansion characters/minigames. Heck use the opportunity to visit other SE/Eidos series like Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest too.

MormaPope

Banned
Presumably if Star Wars and Marvel are candidates, then the LucasArts stuff likely is too. So I'll be pretty mad if we don't get a Wreck it Ralph world populated by Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Maniac Mansion characters/minigames. Heck use the opportunity to visit other SE/Eidos series like Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest too.

Goofy: "Hey Sora, this river is mighty dangerous HYUCK!"
Donald: "Keept paddling! We're about to hit...BLEGH!"
tomb_raider_gif_4_death.gif

Goofy: "MMM, is this cherry gummy syrup..."
Donald: "THIS IS BLOOD! NOT GUMMY SYRUP YOU DUMMY!"
tumblr_mjvw9w3JKn1qctrupo2_500.gif

In all seriousness though I think they should explore more disney franchises then throwing in something marvel/star wars. I'd like the game to keep somewhat close to what it originally was and not just become a theme park for multiple new franchises disney more recently bought. With that said no Lightning. I can't emphasize that enough. Knowing Square they'll probably make her a companion. Hell she may take over halfway in and the games titled of Final Fantasy Xiii-4 will overlay the screen notifying you of the switch. Also more Agrabah I want to see the sand modeled in the new engine!

Philippo

My dream world would be a world from Disney Italy comics, a series in which Goofy has a second identity as a vigilante called Paperinik and then got a darker/more super hero/ sci-fi reboot, known as PK.

1511719_10152064096235042_485188347_o.jpg

Cover_Paperinik_Appgrade_13.jpg

The Lamp

Not saying I want NYC in KH, but are we still in the PS2 era? What makes you think they won't push NPC count on new hardware? C'mon man.

They could have easily populated the levels in the PS2 era and they didn't, even in late PS2-lifetime (2006), and you know it could have handled at least SOME life in the urban scenes because of the heartless fights that had so many enemies on screen at once.

Every single world is almost creepy in how barren it is. Why the fuck aren't there people in Agrabah even though I've visited it so many times??

Jaeger

I'm LTTP, but this is awesome. This will make the already incredible world of KH that much more fun to explore in III. I'm really looking forward to this. Can't wait!

I'll never understand the people who say Star Wars of all things wouldn't fit KH.

Gummi Ships, Xemnas's lightsabers, darkness/light = dark side/light side, Star Wars would fit almost too well into Kingdom Hearts.

Luigi87

When I heard that Marvel was off limits the first thing I thought was Big Hero 6. I can see Star Wars being live actiony looking characters like Jack Sparrows homeworld, and I could see one of Star Wars many 3D cartoon shows being used as the artwork/world. (Or just simply use the Death Star and have Sora yell "THAT'S NO MOON.")

I'm open to seeing the Avengers used, I'd just rather wait until the next trilogy of Kingdom Hearts games for it. :/

"Look at the shape of that moon!"
"That's no moon... That's Kingdom Hearts!"

Top Bottom