• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Comics Releases "Legacy" Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-re...Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista

Marvel Comics has released an ambiguous new teaser image for “Marvel Legacy,” which will arrive this fall.

Aside from the text-based image (released via ComicBook), no further details were provided by the publisher. However, based on recent comments, it’s safe to assume “Marvel Legacy” isn’t a major event, as the publisher announced that there would be no more big events for at least 18 months following “Secret Empire.”

The most obvious hypothesis is that “Marvel Legacy” will somehow be tied to “Generations,” the ten-issue storyline kicking off in July and running through September 2017. When it was first announced, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso told ABC News, “We are looking to honor the legacy of the entire universe, so we are taking the iconic legacy heroes and pairing them with the new class.”

Marvel-Legacy-Teaser-Full.jpg

Could this be the "Make Mine Marvel" rumored soft-launch that's been talked about?

Wait, what was last year's? That thing where they added big #1 on the covers to pretend they were easy jumping points?

Yeah this is what they do every year now. These days Marvel is averse to letting books go on for more than 12 issues without a relaunch of some sort.

I expected this was coming for a while but most of our dead/MIA heroes are probably coming back to their classic forms later this year. As long as they're not entirely replacing the new more diverse lineup I think it can be good. No reason to do away with classic characters for good for the most part, but I hope they serve new roles and the newcomers aren't brushed aside.

Slayven

Yeah this is what they do every year now. These days Marvel is averse to letting books go on for more than 12 issues without a relaunch of some sort.

I expected this was coming for a while but most of our dead/MIA heroes are probably coming back to their classic forms later this year. As long as they're not entirely replacing the new more diverse lineup I think I can be good. No reason to do away with classic characters for good for the most part, but I hope they serve new roles and the newcomers aren't brushed aside.

Thats my big fear, that would be a huge mistake by marvel.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Marvel comics treats each year like a season of TV. Each year there's a new season, they shuffle the creative around, cancel some books, start some new books. It happens every fall and this is 99% what the branding for the next season will be.

The current season is Marvel Now 2.0 fyi, last year was All New, All Different.

Legacy sounds like Marvel is going for the full DC and embracing multiple heroes with the same name and operating standard, like Peter and Miles.

Expect a classic title with a familiar version of a hero and new flavor version aimed at a more diverse audience or with a significant twist to the formula.

As other have pointed out, this is just Marvel's season program continuing. This year's was "nothing is the same", next year is "everything is back in place".

mjc

Yeah Marvel has been soft relaunching way too much. I have a feeling they're gonna try and mimic DC by holding off events for awhile and setting up a new status quo they can run with for a few years. (Hopefully)

Dalek

Legacy sounds like Marvel is going for the full DC and embracing multiple heroes with the same name and operating standard, like Peter and Miles.

Expect a classic title with a familiar version of a hero and new flavor version aimed at a more diverse audience or with a significant twist to the formula.

As other have pointed out, this is just Marvel's season program continuing. This year's was "nothing is the same", next year is "everything is back in place".

Sam Wilson better not be cancelled...

Gkr542V.gif

I expected this was coming for a while but most of our dead/MIA heroes are probably coming back to their classic forms later this year. As long as they're not entirely replacing the new more diverse lineup I think it can be good. No reason to do away with classic characters for good for the most part, but I hope they serve new roles and the newcomers aren't brushed aside.
I really hope there's space for both versions to coexist. There's a lot of things I dislike about Marvel right now, but a number of these books work really well for me.

Sam Wilson better not be cancelled...

Gkr542V.gif
I hope he gets to keep a non-Cap book. The writing+art has been consistently great on that book past the first few issues that were only okay.
At least, I hope Spencer goes out with a bang with Secret Empire.

Sandfox

Marvel apparently told retailers that they plan on having both side by side.
Yeah Marvel has been soft relaunching way too much. I have a feeling they're gonna try and mimic DC by holding off events for awhile and setting up a new status quo they can run with for a few years. (Hopefully)
They're planning on taking a break from big events after the upcoming one ends.

mjc

They're planning on taking a break from big events after the upcoming one ends.

Definitely needed. They haven't allowed solo or team books to really breathe in what...over a decade? At least since Avengers Disassembled. So probably more like 15 years.

jph139

Haven't they been doing that, though? Sam and Steve both have Cap books. X-23 and Old Man Logan are both running. Pete and Miles, Kamala and Carol, the Novas are sharing a book... I'd count JaneThor and Odinson even if he's not "officially" Thor.

I guess they've killed off some big names recently - Cyclops, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner. Would be sort of cheap to just do a full 180 on those, though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sam's already given up the shield and I think it's pretty much a lock that the end of Secret Empire will see Kobik reverse the whammy that turned Rogers into Hydra man so we're going to get classic Cap back for this.

Lol, very subtle, Marvel.
We all know what this means after the events of the past few weeks.
Rebirth worked out well for DC but I don't have much faith in Alonso.

jurgen

But those #1 issues keep selling so well

With diminishing returns each time.

It'll be interesting to see if Marvel is actually able to have the talent to make this successful. They've lost a lot of the writers that made them so dominant for the last decade and haven't made much of an effort to develop new talent. And artists "don't move the needle" for them, so that's a wash.

I expect this to imitate DC's Rebirth but with really inconsistent quality.

Sandfox

Haven't they been doing that, though? Sam and Steve both have Cap books. X-23 and Old Man Logan are both running. Pete and Miles, Kamala and Carol, the Novas are sharing a book... I'd count JaneThor and Odinson even if he's not "officially" Thor.

I guess they've killed off some big names recently - Cyclops, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner. Would be sort of cheap to just do a full 180 on those, though.

-Steve is a villian
-Tony is in a coma and doesn't have a book
-Odinson doesn't have a book
-Banner is dead
-Wolverine is dead
-Peter is around, but in a completely non-traditional role.
-The current Avengers team is Vision and legacy chatacter

Lol, very subtle, Marvel.
We all know what this means after the events of the past few weeks.
Rebirth worked out well for DC but I don't have much faith in Alonso.
People were saying the same thing about Didio.

With diminishing returns each time.

It'll be interesting to see if Marvel is actually able to have the talent to make this successful. They've lost a lot of the writers that made them so dominant for the last decade and haven't made much of an effort to develop new talent. And artists "don't move the needle" for them, so that's a wash.

I expect this to imitate DC's Rebirth but with really inconsistent quality.
That really depends on a lot of factors like the number of books. They also have some creators that I could moving up the chain.

-Steve is a villian
-Tony is in a coma and doesn't have a book
-Odinson doesn't have a book
-Banner is dead
-Wolverine is dead
-Peter is around, but in a completely non-traditional role.
-The current Avengers team is Vision and legacy chatacter

Rebirth had Johns to tie it all together. Marvel really don't have someone who can do that kind of role.

Slowly yes, but as Sandfox pointed out, their core lineup is fuzzy right now.

They essentially want to get the movie slate - Avengers (Cap, Thor, Iron Man), Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, and Deadpool - back into a state that is seen as traditional. Around those books, they'll continue to experiment, but retailers want to have the core around for sales.

Yeah but I've never been a Didio hater, personally. He's done a lot of dumb shit for sure but I've enjoyed his tenure for the most part. Can't say the same about Alonso. It's not necessarily because of the content. It's the insane prices, the constant events, the renumberings, etc.

Slowly yes, but as Sandfox pointed out, their core lineup is fuzzy right now.

They essentially want to get the movie slate - Avengers (Cap, Thor, Iron Man), Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, and Deadpool - back into a state that is seen as traditional. Around those books, they'll continue to experiment, but retailers want to have the core around for sales.

X-men is pretty much there, Sans older Cyclops and Jean (who has been dead for AGES now)

Sandfox

Rebirth had Johns to tie it all together. Marvel really don't have someone who can do that kind of role.
Marvel needs to put the characters in more traditional roles with creative teams that understand the character. You don't really need Johns for that specifically.
Yeah but I've never been a Didio hater, personally. He's done a lot of dumb shit for sure but I've enjoyed his tenure for the most part. Can't say the same about Alonso. It's not necessarily because of the content. It's the insane prices, the constant events, the renumberings, etc.
The event stuff started back up before Alonso was in charge.

I wonder if they will try a creative overhaul of Sam's book as an alternative to cancellation. I like it the way it is, but people aren't buying it.

Speaking of Sam Cap, how was Remender's run on Captain America from a few years back?

It had its ups and downs. The beginning was the best part.

I wonder if they will try a creative overhaul of Sam's book as an alternative to cancellation. I like it the way it is, but people aren't buying it.

I like Sam Cap as a character, but it's been a very depressing book recently. Not a lot of wins for Sam that aren't tainted by Hydra Cap.

I like Sam Cap as a character, but it's been a very depressing book recently. Not a lot of wins for Sam that aren't tainted by Hydra Cap.

True. I just wasn't sure if sales have dipped or if they've been bad throughout the Spencer run. It was more hopeful earlier on but has always been focused on social justice.

Sandfox

Details:

http://www.newsarama.com/34197-marv...tion-original-numbering-throwback-extras.html

Announced during the "Marvel's Next Big Thing" panel at Chicago's C2E2 2017 on Saturday, Legacy 's "bold new direction" will begin with an 50-page Marvel Legacy #1 one-shot by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic that will feature "the Earth-shattering return of a beloved Marvel mainstay" (cue Fantastic Four speculation now) and will continue through with the publisher's long-running titles reverting to their original series or "classic legacy" numbering.

“The Marvel Legacy initiative is a celebration of everything that makes Marvel the best in fiction and it’s a signifier of a new era for Marvel Comics,” said Quesada. “It’s a loving look at the heart of Marvel as we embrace our roots and move enthusiastically forward with all the Marvel characters you know and love starring in the biggest, boldest, best Marvel stories. All of which kicks off with the giant Marvel Legacy special.”

While emphasizing the storied past of the Marvel Universe, the publisher is also mixing in newer characters as well.

"From there, the Marvel Legacy initiative spreads out across the Marvel Universe, showcasing epic storylines hearkening back to the glory days of Marvel starring Odinson, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Man, the Avengers, America Chavez, Iron Man, Moon Knight, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, Luke Cage, the X-Men, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Deadpool, the Champions, Wolverine, Ironheart, Hulk, The Punisher and so many more!"

The publisher said that Legacy will encompass the entire Marvel Universe, promsing "blockbuster new storylines" and its renumbered titles coming with "a renewed sense of hope, wonder, enjoyment and fun!"

Marvel's Legacy initiative expands beyond just the stories and the issue numbers on the front cover, as the publisher plans to revive ancillary elements from its past such as the Marvel Value Stamp, the fan magazine FOOM, and corner box art on covers.

Marvel said to expect information on the titles and their creative teams for both new and continuing series to be announced in the next few months.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I swear there's a new it's-not-a-reboot-reboot every year. Actually, I wouldn't know because every time they try to describe these there's just a metric ton of jargon to go with it.

Sandfox

I swear there's a new it's-not-a-reboot-reboot every year. Actually, I wouldn't know because every time they try to describe these there's just a metric ton of jargon to go with it.

A reboot would mean that they are resetting or taking away history. This is basically Marvel doing their version of Rebirth, which brought stuff back instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom