• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Comics Releases "Legacy" Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm really excited for this. The newest "Marvel Now" relaunch just didn't work out well. The original Marvel Now was fantastic but the comics have been really shaky since Secret Wars ended.

I'm legitimately excited that they're reverting back to legacy numbering. I hated having a new #1 every year and this idea of "volumes."

At a certain point that becomes even more confusing to new readers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jason Aaron is the GOAT tho so at least for that im excited.

SRG01

Beloved Marvel mainstay? Phoenix Jean Gray? Professor X? Fantastic Four?

I'm really excited for this. The newest "Marvel Now" relaunch just didn't work out well. The original Marvel Now was fantastic but the comics have been really shaky since Secret Wars ended.

I'm legitimately excited that they're reverting back to legacy numbering. I hated having a new #1 every year and this idea of "volumes."

At a certain point that becomes even more confusing to new readers.

I thought volumes worked because of trades?

ZeoVGM

Banned
If it's Fantastic Four coming back, that furthers my belief that Fox and Marvel have worked something out behind the scenes to give FF back to Marvel for Phase 4 and we'll see either Galactus or Silver Surfer introduced in Guardians 3.

SRG01

If it's Fantastic Four coming back, that furthers my belief that Fox and Marvel have worked something out behind the scenes to give FF back to Marvel for Phase 4 and we'll see either Galactus or Silver Surfer introduced in Guardians 3.

If it's indeed F4 that's coming back, it'll be an interesting choice as the book didn't sell well at all prior to their cancellation before Secret Wars. Of course, it'll depend on who's writing...

Sandfox

If it's indeed F4 that's coming back, it'll be an interesting choice as the book didn't sell well at all prior to their cancellation before Secret Wars. Of course, it'll depend on who's writing...

The Fantastic Four haven't been big since the 80s outside of small blips.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I thought volumes worked because of trades?

Trades existed before yearly #1 issues and they worked the same way they do now: you label it with the name of an arc and or put "Vol 1, Vol 2, etc" on it.

The only thing yearly #1 issues did was give a boost to that specific issue. After that, it's more of the same. But they don't need that. All Marvel needs to do it properly advertise the start of a new arc or a new creative team and interested people will see it as a good point to jump on.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

If it continues not to sell well it will just show the hypocrisy in people that were saying that marvel was burying them. I loved the 4 but they haven't been doing well in the last few years. Maybe that's due to no personal events for the characters

Genis-Vell, obviously.

It's like marvel is begging for my money if true. But I want all the vells back. Mar too. Carol can keep his title.

Or that Marvel was shelving it until the bad buzz from the movie blew over.

El Topo

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The (legal) battle for the future Constantin is still ongoing.

SRG01

If it continues not to sell well it will just show the hypocrisy in people that were saying that marvel was burying them. I loved the 4 but they haven't been doing well in the last few years. Maybe that's due to no personal events for the characters

Same here. Secret Wars was the last F4 book that sold relatively well, so perhaps they just need to sell or market them by stealth?

Genis-Vell, obviously.

LOL

Mafro

Why is Carol Danvers on there?

Looking forward to seeing how they bring Wolverine back. Will that be Hank Pym Ant Man? Or Scott Lang because MOVIES.

Sandfox

Looking forward to seeing how they bring Wolverine back. Will that be Hank Pym Ant Man? Or Scott Lang because MOVIES.
Hank Pym was only Ant Man for a very short time in the comics and Lang has had the identity since the 70s.

mreddie

Combined synergy and basics would make sense.

Although I fear we maybe doing TOO MANY BOOKS and little marketing again.

Penguin

I would take it one day at a time.

This seems intriguing, but curious to see how they actually handle it

Parallax

Hank Pym was only Ant Man for a very short time in the comics and Lang has had the identity since the 70s.

considering that the only legacy up there is carol, it may well be pym. but ihope not. i want to see what else they can do with pymtron, mainly redemption

KingV

Logans death seems particularly hard to bring him back from at this point. Like you saw a body and it was encased in adamantium.

But whatever, comics, so they'll find a way.

Afrodium

Banned
Seems like Marvel: Rebirth, especially with a 50 page one-shot to kick it off. No complaints though, I think Rebirth is a great model for soft reboots and is much preferable to messy events.

KingV

Combined synergy and basics would make sense.

Although I fear we maybe doing TOO MANY BOOKS and little marketing again.

It's sort of a return to the 90s. When you had the main and alternate versions of almost every hero, most with their own books.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Logans death seems particularly hard to bring him back from at this point. Like you saw a body and it was encased in adamantium.

But whatever, comics, so they'll find a way.

The current story arc in Old Man Logan has had his conciousness sent back in time. He's jumping from point to point in his past, I suspect they'll use this to somehow have him come back with his younger body.

Sandfox

Marvel20Legacy-copy-1.jpg

Seems like Marvel: Rebirth, especially with a 50 page one-shot to kick it off. No complaints though, I think Rebirth is a great model for soft reboots and is much preferable to messy events.

Yeah, so far I think Marvel has been making the right moves with Legacy, but we need book details and that's obviously very important.

Loxley

Newsflash movie speculators: these are the characters Marvel cares about promoting to a wide audience. Start here, work your way down.

I still can't believe I'm living in a world where the X-Men are getting second-billing compared to the freaking Hulk and Star Lord.

46ovMcP.gif

kunonabi

Newsflash movie speculators: these are the characters Marvel cares about promoting to a wide audience. Start here, work your way down.

aside from Captain Marvel not a single fresh face worth exploring with an MCU film. Assuming Marvel never gets Fantastic Four back anyway.

Parallax

Yeah, so far I think Marvel has been making the right moves with Legacy, but we need book details and that's obviously very important.

america is still on top of this? they didnt push patriot at all.

Sandfox

america is still on top of this? they didnt push patriot at all.
There are a bunch of different stories as to why Patriot disappeared. Marvel is planning to introduce a new one and said that they would pay respect to he original one in the story.

The Thing is in there. Interesting.

Fox does not own, and I'm not sure they've ever technically owned, the Fantastic Four rights. What they own, IIRC, is something akin to the right of first refusal of any Fantastic Four movies produced by Constantin Film, the actual owner of the Fantastic Four rights. And I think I remember reading a while ago that Constantin's parent company was looking to get out of the movie business altogether.

TheFlow

Banned
Marvel seems to be taking notes from DC but realizing why it worked for DC.

I honestly don't care about a lot of the current marvel books so bring on this rebirth.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a comics noob. What do these kinds of initiatives mean for ongoing series? Does Marvel try to wrap them up so they can launch new ones that are part of the initiative? Or do they just exist alongside the Legacy comics?

mreddie

I'm a comics noob. What do these kinds of initiatives mean for ongoing series? Does Marvel try to wrap them up so they can launch new ones that are part of the initiative? Or do they just exist alongside the Legacy comics?

They are likely keeping the current teams so the stories will keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom