• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Comics Releases "Legacy" Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

considering that the only legacy up there is carol, it may well be pym. but ihope not. i want to see what else they can do with pymtron, mainly redemption

Pymtron is such a cool concept. His underuse still hurts.

Partner him up with something cute, have Hope drop in every once in a while and you have an awesome solo on your hands.

Goldrush

Marvel seems to be taking notes from DC but realizing why it worked for DC.

I honestly don't care about a lot of the current marvel books so bring on this rebirth.

Rebirth is great and all, but Marvel didn't really have a nu52 that necessitate it. Honestly, I love the focus on the next generation of heroes. I'm hoping that Legacy will further push them in the spotlight rather than placing the focus back on the old guards.

Sandfox

Pymtron is such a cool concept. His underuse still hurts.

Partner him up with something cute, have Hope drop in every once in a while and you have an awesome solo on your hands.

Pymtron is on one of the Secret Empire covers so something is happening with him at least.

They are likely keeping the current teams so the stories will keep going.

I think that will depend on the book, though I expect a good number to continue their runs.

mreddie

Rebirth is great and all, but Marvel didn't really have a nu52 that necessitate it. Honestly, I love the focus on the next generation of heroes. I'm hoping that Legacy will further push them in the spotlight rather than placing the focus back on the old guards.

I agree but how they did some of them was shit. Mainly the Ironheart push but I'm getting her book and Iron Doom because hey, Demon in a Bottle happened and Tony wasn't Iron Man for a minute.

It does seem both old and new will get a shared view and not fucking Solo.

antonz

I agree but how they did some of them was shit. Mainly the Ironheart push but I'm getting her book and Iron Doom because hey, Demon in a Bottle happened and Tony wasn't Iron Man for a minute.

It does seem both old and new will get a shared view and not fucking Solo.

Yeah I feel like If anything they are taking the newer generation of popular alternate characters and bringing them to the world of the Originals so they can be held alongside the Popular Originals and coexist.

I'm a comics noob. What do these kinds of initiatives mean for ongoing series? Does Marvel try to wrap them up so they can launch new ones that are part of the initiative? Or do they just exist alongside the Legacy comics?
Jason Aaron has been writing an ongoing Thor epic since 2012.

Dan Slott has been writing Spider-Man since 2008 (first part of a collective, then solo).

Brian Bendis has been writing Ultimate Spider-Man since 2000. He wrote it all the way through the end of that Ultimate Universe and is still writing Miles Morales, who has now moved into the main Marvel Universe.

People bitch and moan about the constant reboots, but those "reboots" are just promotional campaigns. They launch new books, bring new creative teams to existing books, and try to line up the beginnings of big new chapters of long runs to try to get new readers onto those. These are all things that happen naturally as things go along anyway, but they just try to line a lot of it up at the same time so they can slap a name on it and promote it all together.

Long runs in progress can and do stay in progress. Even if they get a new #1 along the way for a sales boost, the runs continue if things are going well creatively and financially.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's like they never learn.

This specific news sounds like they are learning, so I'm not sure what you're issue is on this one.

- No big events for at least 18 months.
- Returning classic characters while maintaining the new legacy versions
- Returning to original numbering so likely no more #1s every year

Nyanmaruz

So this is separate from that Marvel Generations thing?
Edit: nvm
nhnzry3jycv4bf2qxt63.png

Sesha

I wish Marvel would drop the teen OG X-Men and get back to Hope, the Lights, and the Wolverine and the New Young X-Men: Academy casts.

Also double triple quadruple RIP Runaways, Anya Corazon and the Avengers Academy alumni.

Newsflash movie speculators: these are the characters Marvel cares about promoting to a wide audience. Start here, work your way down.

Two of these (Squirrel Girl, Black Bolt/Inhumans) are already headed to TV. Moon Girl will probably not get a screen adaption

aside from Captain Marvel not a single fresh face worth exploring with an MCU film. Assuming Marvel never gets Fantastic Four back anyway.

Kamala? America Chavez (her solo might be bad but there's nothing wrong with the character)?

So this is separate from that Marvel Generations thing?
Edit: nvm
nhnzry3jycv4bf2qxt63.png

This is the only piece of Marvel art by Alex Ross I think I've ever really liked.

Sesha

you didnt like his secret wars art?

I didn't remember half and hadn't seen the rest. Looking at them now, I really like the Dr. Doom one. Not as much as the Marvel Legacy one, but still. The others, well, he's an amazing artist, no doubt, but I can't say I really like them. They're cool, but it stops there for me. I don't know why. I guess his style and sensibilities just don't align with my own preferences and perspective on comics, superheroes in particular.

kunonabi

I wish Marvel would drop the teen OG X-Men and get back to Hope, the Lights, and the Wolverine and the New Young X-Men: Academy casts.

Also double triple quadruple RIP Runaways, Anya Corazon and the Avengers Academy alumni.

Two of these (Squirrel Girl, Black Bolt/Inhumans) are already headed to TV. Moon Girl will probably not get a screen adaption

Kamala? America Chavez (her solo might be bad but there's nothing wrong with the character)?

This is the only piece of Marvel art by Alex Ross I think I've ever really liked.

Despite her powers, Kamala seems better suited for tv although I personally don't like her regardless. Lol at America Chavez.

El Topo

Constantin, to the best of my knowledge, holds the movie rights to Fantastic Four. There is an ongoing (legal) battle about the future of Constantin and its divisions. It's pretty ugly.
Now I have no idea what their exact deal with Fox is, it is not impossible that they have full active control and don't need to involve Constantin, but I would not get my hopes up.

Goldrush

Is Moon Girl popular or just being pushed? Personally love the book, but always feel like I'm the only one reading it. However, I admit that I'm not the intended audience of the book. Just wondering if she's actually successful in her target demographic?

I'm in no hurry to get Mar-Vell back, ever. People around here say Carol is boring but ooof. Mar-Vell is such a redundant cookie cutter Silver Age square jawed white guy empty suit that they even realized it back then and offed him because they had no clue what to do with the character.

A powerful space guy who flies around and has vague, flexible, super overpowered powers? At this point what purpose could he possibly serve that isn't better told starring Adam Warlock, Thor (either one), Nova (either one), Quasar, Surfer, etc.

Personally I think Guardians should be Marvel's only cosmic book at the moment, though Thanos seems to be doing decent enough for them.

Really? Why is that? Other than sales of course.
I haven't touched Guardians in a while but both Nova and Thanos are pretty much my favorite Marvel titles right now by a wide margin. Sam and Ryder are a fun duo.

Sandfox

Really? Why is that? Other than sales of course.
I haven't touched Guardians in a while but both Nova and Thanos are pretty much my favorite Marvel titles right now by a wide margin. Sam and Ryder are a fun duo.

Sales are pretty much the sole reason. I loved the latest Nova run, but I don't think he or the Guardians are capable of carrying solos right now. It would be better for Marvel to try again in the future. I'm excited for Duggan's Guardians run based on interviews and his past work though.

aly

I hope that Marvel takes some lessons from D.C. On how to handle legacy characters. No need to shit on the original and both can exsist side by side.

IrishNinja

Sales-wise, it's already dead. I wouldn't be surprised if post-Secret Empire, we have Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson books though.

i like it, sam deserves a book but maybe put spencer on just one of em

Jason Aaron is the GOAT tho so at least for that im excited.

yeah of who marvel retained he's good, wish we had more of em back though

Logans death seems particularly hard to bring him back from at this point. Like you saw a body and it was encased in adamantium.

But whatever, comics, so they'll find a way.

id be okay leaving him gone too but yeah, not happening

The current story arc in Old Man Logan has had his conciousness sent back in time. He's jumping from point to point in his past, I suspect they'll use this to somehow have him come back with his younger body.

now see OML in a younger body i'm down for, he's a more interesting character

Eternity finds the lost Universe...

ULTRAVERSE!

..maybe we should leave him in chains

I still can't believe I'm living in a world where the X-Men are getting second-billing compared to the freaking Hulk and Star Lord.

x-men as a team hasn't been interesting since messiah war or so, and that feels a good 10 years back - well, wolverine leading the school was a surprisingly good book but mostly it's not a great corner of their universe & hasn't been forever now

Does this mean I get floating heads back in the corners of my comic book covers?

god i hope so!

This specific news sounds like they are learning, so I'm not sure what you're issue is on this one.

this really is the best news

Dalek

Marvel Reveals LEGACY Titles ... With a Twist

The first titles for the Marvel Comics' line in the wake of Marvel Legacy have been revealed in what is expected to be a series of announcements throughout the day on Friday.

Marvel is releasing animated .GIF teasers at various sites including ComicBook and Newsarama, with new illustrations homaging Marvel covers of the past - but as of yet, no details on the creative teams. We are collecting and examining to get a full picture of what's to come at Marvel Comics.

Click through this countdown for a look at each new title teased, and stay tuned throughout the day as more is revealed about .

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDEvNjgxL29yaWdpbmFsL21vb25naXJsLTEwMDQzNzQuZ2lm

MOON GIRL & DEVIL DINOSAUR
The current ongoing Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur appears to be continuing despite a dour September solicit, with a new cover proposing a team-up between Moon Girl and the remaining members of the Fantastic Four: the Thing and the Human Torch.
This could be what Axel Alonso's previous "Fantastic Two" tease was referring to, and it's important to note that Devil Dinosaur isn't pictured on the cover - given if he was included, could be seen as a "Fantastic" four-some.

This new cover by Felipe Smith homages Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four #49.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDEvNjgyL29yaWdpbmFsL3RvdGFsbHlhd2Vzb21laHVsay0xMDA0Mzc4LmdpZg==

THE INCREDIBLE HULK
Totally Awesome Hulk is being rebranded as The Incredible Hulk, with a "Return to Planet Hulk" for Amadeus Cho.

It's interesting to note that this name change would seemingly overlap with the Jennifer Walters-led Hulk title, with Marvel Editor-In-Chief calling the former She-Hulk Marvel's primary "Hulk." It is unknown what Totally Awesome Hulk's title change to The Incredible Hulk means for that.

This new cover by Mike Deodato Jr. homages Ladronn's Incredible Hulk #94.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDEvNjgzL29yaWdpbmFsL3htZW5ibHVlLTEwMDQzNzcuZ2lm

X-MEN: BLUE
The current ongoing X-Men: Blue appears to be bringing in Longshot and Mojo for a "return to Mojoworld."

This cover, by David Lopez, homages Jim lee's X-Men #10 cover.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDEvNjc0L29yaWdpbmFsL2FzdG9uaXNoaW5neG1lbi0xMDA0MzcyLmdpZg==

ASTONISHING X-MEN
In perhaps the most direct line to the past, this new image by John Cassaday of the current Astonishing X-Men team homages his own cover to Joss Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men #1.
No real details to be gleaned from this, as on the surface this appears to be a basic cover homage.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDEvNjgwL29yaWdpbmFsL2FtYXppbmdyZW5ld3lvdXJ2b3dzLTEwMDQzNzYuZ2lm

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS
Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows appears to be continuing into Marvel Legacy, with a cover homage with the recently-named Spiderling a.k.a. May Parker.

This cover by Khary Randolph is a homage to Mike Zeck's Amazing Spider-Man #252.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDEvNjcyL29yaWdpbmFsL2FtZXJpYy0xMDA0MzY1LmpwZw==

AMERICA
7 of 8
America rolls on with the namesake Ms. Chavez in a struggle with Oubliette.

This cover by Ben Caldwell is a homage to John Romita Sr.'s Amazing Spider-Man #39.

Sandfox

The Moon Girl one is probably for that a Fantastic 3 story arc meaning it's separate from what was teased on Wednesday.

Honestly, the biggest reason a fair number of people I talked to had faith in Rebirth is that the leads at DC did a press tour where they were fairly honest and candid about their failings. Even if it was just PR, it was hard to not come away with the sense that they knew they had messed up, and wanted to do it right.

I have zero faith in Marvel to do the same, just because it's Marvel and the attitude I've seen from their editorial team and leaders like Alonso, Brevoort, and Quesada brings to mind the image of people getting high off of their own gas.

It has been long enough to where I'm sure there are people buying Marvel Comics right now who think that the number of events they do, a title going past 12 issues, and all of the stuff that marvel does right now is how they've always done stuff. There's even people who aren't aware that Spider Man has been written by people other than Dan Slott. That's how long they've been doing it. I really have a hard time not seeing them simply continue to do business as normal.

"Marvel's Rebirth"? *laughs* I'll believe it when I see it, and we're talking a full twelve month period here of all killer, no filler, and especially no bullshit.

bengraven

Other than homaging old covers, is the point to just reference old stories?

Does this have any connection to Generations?

I'm pretty sure the Moon Girl cover is referencing this:

How can they get that wrong?

Yep, that gif caught me off guard too before I realized they got it wrong.

Aside from that, these covers are okay but the only way for Marvel to make me care about Legacy will be the creative teams. I was expecting a lot from the X-Men relaunch but... Yeah. Cable could be alright at least.

Marvel Comics has released an ambiguous new teaser image for “Marvel Legacy,” which will arrive this fall.

Aside from the text-based image (released via ComicBook), no further details were provided by the publisher. However, based on recent comments, it’s safe to assume “Marvel Legacy” isn’t a major event, as the publisher announced that there would be no more big events for at least 18 months following “Secret Empire.”

The most obvious hypothesis is that “Marvel Legacy” will somehow be tied to “Generations,” the ten-issue storyline kicking off in July and running through September 2017. When it was first announced, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso told ABC News, “We are looking to honor the legacy of the entire universe, so we are taking the iconic legacy heroes and pairing them with the new class.”

These both cannot be true. Generation is an event, they just don't call it an event. Look for more of this bullshit during that 18 month period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom