• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

Ryce

PSX, literally anyone that asked him about the director his response was "Marvel 2 Key Staff not ready to say who."

This just confirms Norio is working on the game and is not the lead director. The caption of the image does not say he is the director either
The article literally says "director Norio Hirose."
ディレクターの廣瀬紀生氏

Maybe Ono meant to say "Marvel key staff" and not Marvel 2, or maybe he doesn't realize that Hirose didn't work on Marvel 2. He worked on every other Marvel game in the '90s, after all.

SteelBallRun

Neo Member
The article literally says "director Norio Hirose."

Either their source is wrong or Norio was keystaff on Marvel 2 but its just not on his credits. And considering that this page is the only thing I can find on google including searching on the JP side that has a list of stuff he's worked on its not out of the question he was key staff on Marvel 2 http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,631973/
I trust Ono's words over them.

Ryce

Either their source is wrong or Norio was keystaff on Marvel 2 but its just not on his credits.
I trust Ono's words over them.
The "source" is Hirose himself. He was at PSX. That's where the picture was taken. He gave a short presentation to Japanese media and answered questions.

Famitsu calls him the director, too, and so does 4Gamer.

Coda

Really excited to see more, he seems like a great fit and probably a guy who has recently proved to Capcom that he could be the director. Let's see what he can do. :)

SteelBallRun

Neo Member
The "source" is Hirose himself. He was at PSX. That's where the picture was taken. He gave a short presentation to Japanese media and answered questions.

Famitsu calls him the director, too, and so does 4Gamer.

Ono was telling people otherwise and why wasn't he present at...well anything at PSX? He wasn't at the booth, he wasn't at Capcom Cup, he wasn't at any of the signings. I don't doubt he was there even though no one saw him but there's too much conflicting information.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Ono was telling people otherwise and why wasn't he present at...well anything at PSX? He wasn't at the booth, he wasn't at Capcom Cup, he wasn't at any of the signings. I don't doubt he was there even though no one saw him but there's too much conflicting information.

So, what's more likely: that one person (who might have been misquoted) was wrong or all other sources are wrong?

Kouichi

"By the way, the character roster has mostly been decided on already. The reason we presented Mega Man X first was because he’s very popular in North America, and finished top in our previous poll. We’re working hard to properly meet fan demand."

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/0...-infinites-first-trailer/#WkdLHSiDJcqKDi8s.99

What were the other top voted characters?

Here's Capcom Unity's poll prior to UMVC3

Top 5 for each side:

Marvel
1)Venom 2243 +233 (30.94%)
2)Gambit 2010 +566 (27.72%)
3)Carnage 1444 +64 (19.92%)
4)Ghost Rider 1380 +150 (19.03%)
5)Ms. Marvel 1230 +5 (16.96%)

Capcom
1)Mega Man X 2568 +542 (34.07%)
2)Phoenix Wright 2116 +251 (28.07%)
3)Strider 1865 +671 (24.74%)
4)Gene 1194 +82 (15.84%)
5)Frank West 1112 +2 (14.75%)

Tirael

So if we take out everyone that made in into UMvC3 and MvCI, with Ms. Marvel removed because she was Carol Danvers at the time, we get

Marvel
1)Venom
2Gambit
3)Carnage

Capcom
4)Gene

heavy-sweating.jpg

So Venom/Gene in next characters reveal trailer ?

I definitely see Gene happening, but I'm still not sure about Venom, at least for the base roster.

At the end of the day, Marvel doesn't really care what MVC fans want. Otherwise, Gambit would of been in (U)MVC3. Venom, the Eddie Brock one anyway, has been showing up in recent Marvel games (in-spite of the fact that Eddie hasn't been Venom in the comics in a long time), so he's not impossible, but Marvel is obviously wanting to push their MCU characters first and foremost, so unless Kevin Feige can convince Sony to make their upcoming Venom film MCU canon, I don't see him being a high priority.

I think there's a good chance he could be DLC, though. Seems like a good fit, being a popular character that probably isn't exactly high on Marvel's priority list.

Jawmuncher

Ryu probably has a good chance. So much megaman

4)Gene 1194 +82 (15.84%)
8)B.B Hood 993 +26 (13.17%)
9)Classic Mega Man 967 +78 (12.83%)
10)Bass.EXE 889 +2 (11.79%)
11)Jon Talbain 887 +96 (11.77%)
12)Ryu (BoF) 791 +1 (10.49%)
13)Sigma 790 +12 (10.48%)
14)Captain Commando 778 +36 (10.32%)
15)Leon Kennedy 742 +61 (09.84%)
16)Cammy 681 +14 (09.03%)
17)M. Bison 667 +54 (08.85%)
18)Jin Saotome 613 +65 (08.13%)
19)Mega Man EXE 548 +52 (07.27%)
20)Date Masamune 496 +32 (06.58%)
21)Ken 464 +85 (06.16%)
22)Batsu 379 +46 (05.03%)
23)Guile 333 +12 (04.41%)
24)Chuck Greene 321 +74 (04.26%)
25)Edward Falcon 247 +0 (03.28%)

Gene HYPE! He's coming! I can feel it in my bones!!

If we somehow got both Venom and Carnage.. That'd be awesome. My friend would sure as how love Carnage being in, maybe he'll truly learn the game with him in it. xD

nachum00

Ryu probably has a good chance. So much megaman

4)Gene 1194 +82 (15.84%)
8)B.B Hood 993 +26 (13.17%)
9)Classic Mega Man 967 +78 (12.83%)
10)Bass.EXE 889 +2 (11.79%)
11)Jon Talbain 887 +96 (11.77%)
12)Ryu (BoF) 791 +1 (10.49%)
13)Sigma 790 +12 (10.48%)
14)Captain Commando 778 +36 (10.32%)
15)Leon Kennedy 742 +61 (09.84%)
16)Cammy 681 +14 (09.03%)
17)M. Bison 667 +54 (08.85%)
18)Jin Saotome 613 +65 (08.13%)
19)Mega Man EXE 548 +52 (07.27%)
20)Date Masamune 496 +32 (06.58%)
21)Ken 464 +85 (06.16%)
22)Batsu 379 +46 (05.03%)
23)Guile 333 +12 (04.41%)
24)Chuck Greene 321 +74 (04.26%)
25)Edward Falcon 247 +0 (03.28%)
That list is annoying. Too much street fighter

Tirael

This is just for theorycrafting. I know everyone has their preferred version of Mega Man, but if we added all the versions together, we get:

Mega Man 4,083 (54.17%)

Even though you had to vote for three different characters, that implies some people voted for two, maybe even all three versions of Mega Man.

Sesha

Gene placed very high on a lot of polls, and was "next up" for UMvC3 according to either Seth Killian or Niitsuma, as they initially had 20 characters planned. He's almost certainly guaranteed to appear either in the base roster or as DLC.

I'm trying to get Capcom-Unity staff to create a MvC: I subforum, so I can get character polls going. We should have a character polling thread here on GAF as well.

Jawmuncher

Gene placed very high on a lot of polls, and was "next up" for UMvC3 according to either Seth Killian or Niitsuma, as they initially had 20 characters planned. He's almost certainly guaranteed to appear either in the base roster or as DLC.

I'm trying to get Capcom-Unity staff to create a MvC: I subforum, so I can get character polls going. We should have a character polling thread here on GAF as well.
I gotta make a "for your consideration" for Regina before we get that thread

That UMvC3 poll still doing work to this day, haha.

Gene's definitely got to be in now, especially since I recall him just missing UMvC3, because they had to downsize the amount of content added.

BoF Ryu didn't place horribly, either. Here's to hoping Capcom considers a BoF character.

FinKL

I hate speculating and creating lists but if we are going by those Character polls, Gambit is a lock not only by request but because he's coming out with a movie too (I think)

I hate speculating and creating lists but if we are going by those Character polls, Gambit is a lock not only by request but because he's coming out with a movie too (I think)

Like I said, Marvel doesn't care what MVC fans want and they've never had. Gambit and Venom would of been in UMVC3 otherwise. They're more concerned about pushing the characters they want to push.

Which, honestly, is the reason I think that if we do another big character poll, maybe we shouldn't even bother with the Marvel side because they most likely aren't going to listen, anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Niitsuma had been trying to get an RE monster working in a Vs. game since TvC's arcade release. Nemesis' inclusion was probably on him.

It was further justified by the Capcom side not having candidate for a large and heavy tank bruiser character of similar size to Sentinel.

As long as a character can fulfill an unrepresented archetype, they're probably fair game.

Kouichi

It's important to note that Marvel side of the polls is a bit unreliable these days. Marvel has changed a lot these past five years, and the MCU is easily the most popular thing they've ever done. So alot of characters who've been pushed heavily in the MCU would score far higher if the poll had been made recently. So characters like Black Widow, Ant-man, or any of the Guardians, who would barely register in these polls, would now end up very high. This also goes for new popular characters in the comics like Kamela Khan. So, while I'm sure someone like Venom would still end up in the top 5, it wouldn't surprise me if Black Panther ended up right next to him.

Clawww

what abilities/effects do you think different stones will provide? I don't know much about them or comics, but some of them seem pretty trippy, like Mind or Reality. the two they showed, power and time, seem relatively more straightforward to implement as game mechanics, so I'm wondering about the rest.

MoxManiac

Like I said, Marvel doesn't care what MVC fans want and they've never had. Gambit and Venom would of been in UMVC3 otherwise. They're more concerned about pushing the characters they want to push.

Which, honestly, is the reason I think that if we do another big character poll, maybe we shouldn't even bother with the Marvel side because they most likely aren't going to listen, anyway.

Not true. I mean, we got freaking Sentinel (purely because of MvC2) and Shuma-Gorath (Capcom internal favorite). It depends on if the Capcom side advocates for fans to the Marvel side.

If Black Panther isnt added, I'll eat my shoe.

Hopefully the DLC can have more than just the obvious choices (Sentinel, Magneto, Wolverine) getting Gambit and Venom would be awesome.

Not true. I mean, we got freaking Sentinel (purely because of MvC2) and Shuma-Gorath (Capcom internal favorite). It depends on if the Capcom side advocates for fans to the Marvel side.

In Sentinel's case, Seth Killian (who no longer works at Capcom) had to really fight to get him in. Likewise, Capcom had to beg Marvel to put Shuma in, and even then they only allowed him as DLC.

I'm sure Capcom probably wanted characters like Venom and Gambit back for MVC3, but Marvel wouldn't budge.

D-Man

Gene would be a great addition to the roster. The only thing that concerns me is that I also want Asura but I'm worried Capcom will consider both of them to be "dude who punches people" types even though they're completely different.

Here's hoping both of them end up in the game cause that would be hype.

NotLiquid

Gene seems a done deal to me in terms of newcomers. When you look at unrepresented IPs and fan feedback, it seems easy to order em up through process of elimination.

EDIT: Moving character speculation to other thread

BadWolf

Gene would be a great addition to the roster. The only thing that concerns me is that I also want Asura but I'm worried Capcom will consider both of them to be "dude who punches people" types even though they're completely different.

Here's hoping both of them end up in the game cause that would be hype.

Gene and Asura wouldn't conflict at all (design, gameplay or moves).

Gene is much more than a "dude who punches people", his arsenal is basically a martial arts movie fan's wet dream.

Sesha

Gene, Regina, Breath of Fire and Power Stone characters are absolute musts for Infinite, base game or DLC. Fans have been waiting so long for these franchises to be represented in a fighting game.

If Black Panther isnt added, I'll eat my shoe.

Hopefully the DLC can have more than just the obvious choices (Sentinel, Magneto, Wolverine) getting Gambit and Venom would be awesome.

Every character headlining their own movie is guaranteed, I think.

It is, but I don't think it's scrapped altogether just yet. A lot of UMvC3 characters were added WAY before their movie debut, (Guardians, Strange, Iron Fist etc.)

Heck, all three of those were added before their projects were even announced.

Surprised to see Leon so "low" , i can see him be in the game this time though, cus REmake 2 hype.

Or Birkin. Or both.

Top Bottom