• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

Because every year comes with new gamers that haven't the slightest clue who he is. While more well-remembered I think Asura will have a similar problem in future titles if he doesn't get into MvCI. And I wouldn't compare either to someone like MegaMan X because they don't have anywhere near the legacy.
I think you're vastly overestimating how well known Gene and Asura were at any given point in time lol

Negaduck

Sorry for being a broken record.

But the bottom configuration has me on the edge of my seat.

Yeah and it seems like Ryu can self OTG with it.

To be honest we know jack squat about the game's mechanics. We don't even know the controls.

I feel like because we no longer have assists, they will go back to the old 'otg' style where it's just a low listing hit box coming in contact with a grounded opponent's hurt box.

Seyavesh

From what was rumored, they havent even decided if they want a 4 or 6 button controls yet so...

for normals?

in the footage so far it's 4

ryu's LMH string is "st.lp st.lk st.hp" instead of 'st.lk cl.mk st.hp" like in marvel 3

x very clearly has buster shots for his st.h and j.h, specifically shooting the lil buster lemon.
you can see him string into his ground H at the very start of the vid.

every char does at most does a 3 normal string before tagging or launching, with cap doing st.llmh shield slash on his string.

captain marvel's chain makes it really obvious because she does cr.h->lmhm->cr.h->st.lh->special during her time gem chain

there's no fourth animation on any character's chains so far except ryu which is just his f+H from marvel 3

also for iron man when he does cr.lp lk mk he's i'm 99% certain that's his new LMH chain, as his cr.H is now his old cr.M, which was a sweep in marvel 3 and his furthest reaching normal.
and that would remove his cr.H missile launcher which was seen as a mostly useless move anyway

this would also stop him from doing trijumps with lots of cr.ls fit inbetween overheads which seems like a very 'simplification/nerf' thing to do as capcom- when you want to go low on a trijump you have to commit to a cr.m which will have way more recovery than a cr.l, meaning you can't alternate high/lows as fast.

if magneto or any other char with an actual "fast" trijump makes it into the game, i 100% expect the same design for them as to neuter something that would be seen as "unfair".
extending from that logic, the chars who will have low hitting cr.ls and 8way airdashes will have fake garbage slow airdashes probably. think nova without the up/down dash business

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's what I was thinking. We could see a pair of reveals after each CPT major starting in late February or so. I'd expect bigger info-dumps at around E3, SDCC, & NYCC.

But they would just release the information to all video games media websites for announcement. They did it with She-Hulk, Haggar, Storm, C.Viper, Zero, Phoenix, etc.

I wouldn't count out those method yet.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A lot of that wall bouncing was due to Ryu's donkey kick. The EX version of the move also wall bounced in 3rd Strike.

Assuming there's a wall bounce limit, which would make sense for balance reasons, the infinity gem might remove that limit. Possibly for ground bounces too.

Though this is making a number of assumptions about the underlying system.

Anth0ny

From what was rumored, they havent even decided if they want a 4 or 6 button controls yet so...

honestly seems kinda backwards to take out a character AND assists, then put 6 button controls

they want to simplify shit. i'm expecting 4 buttons:

L
H
S
Character Switch

easy to map to the 4 face buttons on a Xbox or Playstation controller, too.

tribal24

Banned
honestly seems kinda backwards to take out a character AND assists, then put 6 button controls

L
H
S
Character Switch

damn that would be heartbreaking.

Dahbomb

6 attack buttons would be awful. Would completely go against their philosophy of making this for newcomers and for pad only players.

I expect 4 attack buttons with one of them possibly being a Special button for launchers, then a Tag button and an Infinity button. And it's possible that the infinity button is just 4 attack buttons pressed together like X factor.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
damn that would be heartbreaking.

its the Marvel 3 scheme without assists...

6 attack buttons would be awful. Would completely go against their philosophy of making this for newcomers and for pad only players.

I expect 4 attack buttons with one of them possibly being a Special button for launchers, then a Tag button and an Infinity button. And it's possible that the infinity button is just 4 attack buttons pressed together like X factor.

this

Seyavesh

oh cap marvel has a f+H move too that's just nova's st.H lol

to note, right now the tac guys running in have their own hitbox which is pretty funny- they show up, the enemy gets hit by just having the newly tagged in char get near them and then they start their chain

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

L
H
S
Character Switch

That would make sense since they recycled all veterans' animations so we haven't seen any new moves from most of them except Iron Man.

X factor input is more likely to be same for Infinity stones.

V-Faction

Wind up that hype machine. We're about to go through a year of Comic-Con's, E3's, and Tournament's where reveal trailers are sure to follow.

And really, aren't the trailers the most exciting part?

Anth0ny

yeah i'm expecting the bolded for gem "activation".

they need to find a way to get rid of shoryuken and other "complex" input commands.

i'm thinking they might introduce a 5th and 6th button as a straight up "super" button. L1 for one super, R1 for the other super, both at the same time for level 3.

there's your 6 button marvel :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Right now it seems like any normal might OTG if you have the Power Stone active, Ryu OTGs twice in the trailer, although the second time I'm not sure if the opponent even touched the ground but they get thrown up pretty significantly.

Pretty sure nothing is locked down outside "2v2", "no assists", and "Infinity Stones as Grooves".
Nothing is locked down, yeah, but we know quite a few, some small, things about the gameplay:

- OTGs, wall bounces are back
- DHCs are back
- Projectile durability (or at least priority) is back
- Hard knockdowns look like theyr'e back
- Super Armor looks like it might be back (see Cap in the trailer)
- Installs are back
- Partners stay on the screen for a decently long time after being tagged out
- "Each stone will grant one ability that can be activated at any time, and one stronger ability will be more rare (again, the team has yet to work out the specifics of how they will limit this ability)"
- Power Stone: "Power seems to increase the potency of each attack and could potentially offer new super abilities while active"
- Time Stone: "Time allows players to dodge moves and pull off flurries of punches and kicks, increasing combo potential"

The game is looking very MvC3 in the combat system, and also pretty exciting IMO.

Posted this in the other thread but people didn't care in the face of wishlisting (I guess this thread should be used for gameplay and more general discussion?), but IGN's Rewind Theatre on the extended gameplay trailer points out a bunch of things, a lot of them character-specific.

Seyavesh

as for my own guess, it's probably LMHS for normals plus

tag in (tags are extremely prevalent during combos at the very minimum so having it immediately accessible via 1 button is definitely going to be a thing)

gem skill activation (activates the special move granted by the gem, whatever it may be. teleport for example on the time gem- you can hear the activation sound before capm teleports. also ties together the "gems are like assists" and brings them to forefront of play by having them be a singular button)

most likely activating the big x-factor gem mode is going to be gem+tag on the shoulder buttons as default as to simulate x-factor but easier to activate.
i'm also going to guess that pressing all 4 buttons also works for this for stick users, as that's more natural than 2 buttons lined up side-by-side on a 6 button stick layout with the default type B marvel 3 normal layout on it.

as to note, ryu's power gem x-factor mode is already on (according to the hitsparks being the powered up ones) before he goes "POWER STONE"- meaning that the current "skill" for the power gem is that wallbouncing burst which most likely is designed to allow for more conversion opportunities off finicky stuff

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
yeah i'm expecting the bolded for gem "activation".

they need to find a way to get rid of shoryuken and other "complex" input commands.

i'm thinking they might introduce a 5th and 6th button as a straight up "super" button. L1 for one super, R1 for the other super, both at the same time for level 3.

there's your 6 button marvel :p

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to bring simple button mode back.

NotLiquid

That would make sense since they recycled all veterans' animations so we haven't seen any new moves from most of them except Iron Man.

X factor input is more likely to be same for Infinity stones.

I would like to think there is a dedicated Gem button mainly because we see both Ryu and Captain Marvel executing gem-specific moves while the gems are active (Ryu gets a wall bounce attack and Carol gets a warp). I'm not really sure how they're going to integrate those very specific, seemingly universal abilities into everyone's moveset in a way that isn't intrusive or complicated to pull off and since one tag button has been freed up it makes sense to use it for something else.

I don't really get Hulkbuster being on any lists. Not only is it just a second Iron Man, it's a completely different character moveset/hitbox-wise, so you couldn't even make the clone argument

Anth0ny

Injustice had light, medium, heavy buttons and meter, trait and stage interact buttons and that worked fine.

injustice is 1 character vs 1 character. can't really compare. a lot more going on in marvel.

I don't really get Hulkbuster being on any lists. Not only is it just a second Iron Man, it's a completely different character moveset/hitbox-wise, so you couldn't even make the clone argument

hulkbuster is a logical "giant" character like sentinel that could feasibly be included

Grimsen

Exhibit A:

latest

Exhibit B:

TreIII

I don't see this having a dedicated tag button at all. That's what combinations of buttons and triggers are for.

If tagging is supposed to be a central mechanic that can be used to tag in and out and "freeform combos", as the GameInformer article suggests?

Then yeah, I could certainly see having a designated tag button. It fits right in with making sure newcomers wouldn't be "overwhelmed".

If tagging is supposed to be a central mechanic that can be used to tag in and out and "freeform combos", as the GameInformer article suggests?

Then yeah, I could certainly see having a designated tag button. It fits right in with making sure newcomers wouldn't be "overwhelmed".
Yes, but it won't be a mechanic that needs said button, just like how the default MVC3 config had assists and a X factor button but you could just press the corresponding combinations.

They're not gonna sacrifice an entire strength of normals and specials for a tag button.

eggandI

Banned
for normals?

in the footage so far it's 4

ryu's LMH string is "st.lp st.lk st.hp" instead of 'st.lk cl.mk st.hp" like in marvel 3

x very clearly has buster shots for his st.h and j.h, specifically shooting the lil buster lemon.
you can see him string into his ground H at the very start of the vid.

every char does at most does a 3 normal string before tagging or launching, with cap doing st.llmh shield slash on his string.

captain marvel's chain makes it really obvious because she does cr.h->lmhm->cr.h->st.lh->special during her time gem chain

there's no fourth animation on any character's chains so far except ryu which is just his f+H from marvel 3

Good post and yeah I also think it's going to be 4 button LMHS just like marvel 3

Tirael

Definitely this plus what Seyavesh said.

And even if we see four normals canceled in a row, it could always be like Wolverine's normals in MvC3, where he has LMLH.

Edit: I completely forgot about Super Skrull, who could go st. L, cr. L, st. M, cr. M, st. H, cr. H. So everything kinda goes out the window.

Prototype

As a separate character Hulkbuster could fill in a while other character archetype.

Wouldn't really be a "second iron man" imo as it wouldn't play anything like IM.

Tizoc

That's what I was thinking. We could see a pair of reveals after each CPT major starting in late February or so. I'd expect bigger info-dumps at around E3, SDCC, & NYCC.
Thanks feb sounds teasnable as capcom would focus on re7 formthe time beimg

Neoxon

Thanks feb sounds teasnable as capcom would focus on re7 formthe time beimg
As mentioned earlier, we could see some info on January if the game is getting a Switch port (which is uncertain right now). Otherwise, as you said, Capcom's likely gonna want to focus on RE7 for the time being.

Negaduck

I mean, if it was abcd buttons, what would the purpose of changing Ryu's A from S.lp to s.lk?

Unless that can otg outside of gem factor?

I'm leaning towards 2p/2k

MVC2's mediums in chains only was super awkward. I'd rather have 6 buttons outright or LMHS

For some characters, df+button would let medium strength normals come out. I know cyclops comes to mind as one (his c.mk was his launcher in past games right?)

Negaduck

To give him a fast crouching low, perhaps.

So then they buffed him by switching it to s.lk? That isn't traditionally a low unlike morrigan.

And c.lk is most likely the same.

I'm not asking you directly for the answer, it's just something I can't figure out (having zero knowledge of course)

(maybe I should clarify that I mean changing his standing light from s. Lp to s.lk doesn't make much sense unless that starts to become his main button to start combos against grounded opponents. This also leads me to believe the Mvc3 otg system is gone).

So then they buffed him by switching it to s.lk? That isn't traditionally a low unlike morrigan.

I'm not asking you directly for the answer, it's just something I can't figure out (having zero knowledge of course)
Nvm Im dumb and can't read

Giving him slk instead of slp as his light could be for the sake of giving him more range, maybe?

Seyavesh

(maybe I should clarify that I mean changing his standing light from s. Lp to s.lk doesn't make much sense unless that starts to become his main button to start combos against grounded opponents. This also leads me to believe the Mvc3 otg system is gone).
his st.L is still st.LP, it's his st.M that got changed to st.LK

Seyavesh

In that combo in the video it looks like ryu does s. Lk, s. HK xx donkey kick.

His medium kick is always the straight out extended one or low forward.

The people demand answers!

in marvel 3 his st.M is the cl.MK knee he has in every game
ddWaGAi.png

TPK8rsH.png

in the marvel 4 clip you can see him do st.LP, st.LK, st.HP st.HK which follows marvel 3's chain of LMH f+h except with the M being replaced by st.LK
weOYNQo.gif

Top Bottom