• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

Tirael

Gene and Asura wouldn't conflict at all (design, gameplay or moves).

Gene is much more than a "dude who punches people", his arsenal is basically a martial arts movie fan's wet dream.
Yeah Gene would be to fistfighters in this game what Dante was for sword users in the last one. Just so many moves.

I agree completely about them not conflicting, but I hope they see it that way too.

They also have different attitudes. Gene is corny and sarcastic, Asura is just MAD.

jett

D-Member
Here's Capcom Unity's poll prior to UMVC3

Top 5 for each side:

Marvel
1)Venom 2243 +233 (30.94%)
2)Gambit 2010 +566 (27.72%)
3)Carnage 1444 +64 (19.92%)
4)Ghost Rider 1380 +150 (19.03%)
5)Ms. Marvel 1230 +5 (16.96%)

Capcom
1)Mega Man X 2568 +542 (34.07%)
2)Phoenix Wright 2116 +251 (28.07%)
3)Strider 1865 +671 (24.74%)
4)Gene 1194 +82 (15.84%)
5)Frank West 1112 +2 (14.75%)

WE IN THERE

72-dance1.gif

Mit-

I have zero expectations of Gene getting in this game. He was still semi-relevant at the time of MvC3 but is now just the main character in probably Clover's most ill-received and least successful title, that has never been heard from since a greatest hits re-release on PS2. If they did another poll I doubt he'd be top 10. Which, they should do another poll, although I have a feeling the road map and roster for this title are already completely finished, including DLC.

I have zero expectations of Gene getting in this game. He was still semi-relevant at the time of MvC3 but is now just the main character in probably Clover's most ill-received and least successful title, that has never been heard from since a greatest hits re-release on PS2. If they did another poll I doubt he'd be top 10. Which, they should do another poll, although I have a feeling the road map and roster for this title are already completely finished, including DLC.

God hand was one of the first PS2 Classics on PS3, and likely one of the more popular ones.

BadWolf

Yeah Gene would be to fistfighters in this game what Dante was for sword users in the last one. Just so many moves.

I agree completely about them not conflicting, but I hope they see it that way too.

They also have different attitudes. Gene is corny and sarcastic, Asura is just MAD.

Agreed, they can really go nuts with Gene's combat and he has a nice joker personality so it would all flow well.

In many ways Asura is the complete opposite of him, and would be a total power house in his own way if he makes it in. Easily one of the most badass characters from last gen.

God Hand is a game from 2006.

I don't see how he was more relevant at the time of MVC3 than he is now.

Mit-

God hand was one of the first PS2 Classics on PS3, and likely one of the more popular ones.

Ah, didn't see that in the info I looked up. Small breath of life, but I still think Capcom would rather its fans forget its existence. While I think he'd be a great addition, I really can't see them going for it with an already reduced roster size and a Hollywood Marvel cast.

God Hand is a game from 2006.

I don't see how he was more relevant at the time of MVC3 than he is now.

Because every year comes with new gamers that haven't the slightest clue who he is. While more well-remembered I think Asura will have a similar problem in future titles if he doesn't get into MvCI. And I wouldn't compare either to someone like MegaMan X because they don't have anywhere near the legacy.

Eh, it's kind of a reverse-Nintendo situation here. Since MvC3, Capcom hasn't released many titles that introduced popular new characters. There are some, primarily in SF and RE, but at some point they're gonna have to look farther back for characters and they'll most definitely remember the demand for Gene.

And if they are gonna add back Viewtiful Joe and Amaterasu, might as well complete the Clover trifecta.

BadWolf

Because every year comes with new gamers that haven't the slightest clue who he is. While more well-remembered I think Asura will have a similar problem in future titles if he doesn't get into MvCI. And I wouldn't compare either to someone like MegaMan X because they don't have anywhere near the legacy.

Characters like Gene, Asura, Bulleta etc. are aimed at fans, especially when there is fan demand (which there clearly is with Gene).

They don't just include presently known/popular characters. You say Megaman is popular but did he make it into MVC3?

Characters like Gene, Asura, Bulleta etc. are aimed at fans, especially when there is fan demand (which there clearly is with Gene).

They don't just include presently known/popular characters. You say Megaman is popular but did he make it into MVC3?
Also capcom put fan favorites from older Street Fighter games into SF5, so I could see this time around Capcom putting in some old fan favorites..

Sesha

You'd be wrong.

Ah, didn't see that in the info I looked up. Small breath of life, but I still think Capcom would rather its fans forget its existence. While I think he'd be a great addition, I really can't see them going for it with an already reduced roster size and a Hollywood Marvel cast.

The game is going to have bucketloads of DLC for years to come. Capcom is currently all about long term DLC support for their major console games.

Mit-

You can classify most characters as presently known or popular, with an additional factor of "fighting game legacy," which is the only reason we still see characters like Tron Bonne and Shuma Gorath. X wasn't included because Capcom was hell-bent on not having a MegaMan of any kind in the game, and was convinced (and tried to convince us) that rehashed TvC Zero was enough of a rep for the series, and that he provided more gameplay variety (another minor factor in selection).

This title seems like it'll be focused more on character popularity and who is the most marketable (or most in need of advertisement for future games/movies) due to it's reduced roster size, and showing X first thing. X was a no-brainer. Far and away the most requested character (probably would still be the most requested character in a new poll). Gameplay variety be damned, they'll just figure it out.

But if we're looking at 15-20 Capcom characters total for this title, I can't see them giving another newcomer spot to Gene (as much as I love him, I don't even see Joe getting back in). I'm sure Asura has higher fan demand than Gene by now. If MegaMan X isn't a part of a poll, same with Phoenix Wright, Strider, and Frank West, who do all of those people vote for? Would Gene really rise to the top? I highly doubt it. And while I can't prove my doubt, a four year old poll also doesn't prove he's the next-in-line-most-popular-choice for a 2017 Versus title either.

Sesha

The polls aren't the only point of reference. Gene was next in line for UMvC3 along with Mega Man X according to Seth Killian or Niitsuma when the game was supposed to have 20 characters instead of 12.

cordy

Banned
I think Gene will be in. I just don't know if he'll be in the base game or for Capcom's side of DLC. Could be either or but he's popular enough from the polls to be included. Why not? He'd work.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
what abilities/effects do you think different stones will provide? I don't know much about them or comics, but some of them seem pretty trippy, like Mind or Reality. the two they showed, power and time, seem relatively more straightforward to implement as game mechanics, so I'm wondering about the rest.
I think Mike Jones mentioned Vitality as an effect of another off-hand. Regardless, I expect one to either replenish or regenerate health. Maybe Soul.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the Press Release I got a few days ago mentioned six total Infinity Gems that players will select from.

Confirmed so far...

Power (In Trailer)
Time (In Trailer)
Space (mentioned by the Mikes during the PSX interview)
Mind (Not Shown)
Reality (Not Shown)
Soul (Not Shown)

NotLiquid

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the Press Release I got a few days ago mentioned six total Infinity Gems that players will select from.

Confirmed so far...

Power
Time
Space (was mentioned by the Mikes during the PSX interview)

Power, Time, Space, Soul, Mind and Reality

Power: Damage Increase
Time: Speed Boost
Space: Super Armor
Mind: Meter Regeneration
Soul: Health Recovery
Reality: Elemental Attacks/Projectile

From MHS, but I'm sure Space and Reality would be different, maybe Mind as well.

Sesha

Confirmed so far...

Power (In Trailer)
Time (In Trailer)
Space (mentioned by the Mikes during the PSX interview)
Mind (Not Shown)
Reality (Not Shown)
Soul (Not Shown)

I thought that was already confirmed.

Btw, you made a small error in your last MvC video. You mentioned that SFV was primarily developed by Dimps, which isn't the case. The majority of SFV, about 60-70% of developed, was handled in-house at Capcom. Since games like RE6, DmC and Lost Planet 3 underperformed, Capcom reorganized much of their company structure and moved away from outsourcing. So now, most of their projects, both console and mobile, are handled mostly in-house now and in the future.

Source of the 60-70% statement:

For Street Fighter 4, Capcom hired Dimps, the long-running independent studio run by Street Fighter 1 creator Takashi Nishiyama, to handle the bulk of the game’s development, with Capcom Japan overseeing the game and providing support. For Street Fighter 5, the ratio flipped, with Capcom Japan accounting for about 60-70% of the staff, in part because the scale of the project required more people. "It was a complete shift," says Ono.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/2/12/10872572/street-fighter-5-annotated-gallery (If you're on browser, it's the Necalli picture. Polygon...)

You should add a small annotation to the video to clear up potential confusion. To save you time, here's the time tag for the video.

Neoxon

I hate speculating and creating lists but if we are going by those Character polls, Gambit is a lock not only by request but because he's coming out with a movie too (I think)
If anything, the upcoming movie lessens his chances (Marvel doesn't really like promoting the Fox films).

And even then, going by what Ryce said, there won't be any X-Men/F4 characters until DLC.

Mit-

I took myself for a ride.

Yeah I believe you can see Ryu doing this in the trailer right? Wallbounces on everything and it looks like his launcher picks someone up OTG.

I think Space should let you move through people Vision style or something.

vg260

The game is going to have bucketloads of DLC for years to come. Capcom is currently all about long term DLC support for their major console games.

Do we know that for sure, or is this going to be another situation where the license expires and the support dies?

I hope it has long-term support, but haven't really seen any sort of indication in the materials and interviews so far.

eggandI

Banned
Do we know that for sure, or is this going to be another situation where the license expires and the support dies?

I hope it has long-term support, but haven't really seen any sort of indication in the materials and interviews so far.

Yeah let's not spread misinformation and start a narrative which Capcom themselves haven't. They've said nothing about DLC/post-launch support.

Here's Capcom Unity's poll prior to UMVC3

Top 5 for each side:

Marvel
1)Venom 2243 +233 (30.94%)
2)Gambit 2010 +566 (27.72%)
3)Carnage 1444 +64 (19.92%)
4)Ghost Rider 1380 +150 (19.03%)
5)Ms. Marvel 1230 +5 (16.96%)

Capcom
1)Mega Man X 2568 +542 (34.07%)
2)Phoenix Wright 2116 +251 (28.07%)
3)Strider 1865 +671 (24.74%)
4)Gene 1194 +82 (15.84%)
5)Frank West 1112 +2 (14.75%)

Oh man, I hope Venom actually comes back this time but I heard he's too difficult to animate in 3D.

FinKL

I totally forgot Gambit is an X-Men. Him not making the initial roster makes perfect sense, but DLC would also make sense for him. I just hope we get a lot of old 2d sprites brought back to 3d. Psylocke, Juggernaut/Colossus, Hayato, Amigo, Ruby Heart etc.

Mit-

but the Speed gem did that !

Well shit. I don't know much about the old game lol.

Also I guess the Soul Stone would do that, considering that's what's in Vision's head in the movies. But even aside from something like dashing through someone, it'd be cool to activate a low-frame invulnerability window where opponent's attacks whiff and you can act freely.

TreIII

Time to dragon kick some ass into the Milky Way.

"Milky War~"

GuardianE said:
It was further justified by the Capcom side not having candidate for a large and heavy tank bruiser character of similar size to Sentinel.

As long as a character can fulfill an unrepresented archetype, they're probably fair game.

Now-a-days, I'd imagine that a Monster Hunter monster could fit that bill much better.

Rajang, for example. Every's "favorite" Super Saiyan would be more than up to the task...

And with Hirose's background that extends into being a part of the programming team for MonHun throughout the series' lifetime up to MH4, I wouldn't put it past him to find maybe a way to stick 1-2 reps on the roster, if he could.

Sesha

Make that "probably", then. I assume it based on Capcom's current business model, the name Infinite, which suggests it's a long term thing, and recent comments by Max or Yipes or either about Marvel supposedly working closely with Capcom and the game being developed with long term support in mind.

I doubt we'll have another MvC3 situation at any rate.

eggandI

Banned
Well shit. I don't know much about the old game lol.

Also I guess the Soul Stone would do that, considering that's what's in Vision's head in the movies. But even aside from something like dashing through someone, it'd be cool to activate a low-frame invulnerability window where opponent's attacks whiff and you can act freely.

In Marvel Super Heroes

Power = attacks hit harder
Time = you move way faster
Space = you gain extra defense
Reality = you get a bunch of gimmicky projectiles that shoot out along with your normals attacks
Mind = your super meter regens
Soul = Your health regens

Now in MvCI we've seen that

Power = Gives all your attacks wall and ground bounce
Time = gives you a dash-teleport and a custom combo-like ability

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Marvel was a different beast in 2012, both in business practices and popularity. I think it's pretty unlikely that there haven't already been significant discussions and planning for post launch support. They've proven to be very forward thinking and hands on when managing their properties.

Now-a-days, I'd imagine that a Monster Hunter monster could fit that bill much better.

Rajang, for example. Every's "favorite" Super Saiyan would be more than up to the task...

And with Hirose's background that extends into being a part of the programming team for MonHun throughout the series' lifetime up to MH4, I wouldn't put it past him to find maybe a way to stick 1-2 reps on the roster, if he could.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some Monster Hunter representation, though I feel like they'd want to include a poster boy of the series like Gore Magala. At the same time, I don't think I've ever seen a huge beast like that done very well in a fighting game. That hurt box would be fucked.

vala

I thought that was already confirmed.

Btw, you made a small error in your last MvC video. You mentioned that SFV was primarily developed by Dimps, which isn't the case. The majority of SFV, about 60-70% of developed, was handled in-house at Capcom. Since games like RE6, DmC and Lost Planet 3 underperformed, Capcom reorganized much of their company structure and moved away from outsourcing. So now, most of their projects, both console and mobile, are handled mostly in-house now and in the future.

Source of the 60-70% statement:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/2/12/10872572/street-fighter-5-annotated-gallery (If you're on browser, it's the Necalli picture. Polygon...)

You should add a small annotation to the video to clear up potential confusion. To save you time, here's the time tag for the video.

That is not true. Check the credits and you will see that most of the people who made SF 5, also worked on 4.

TreIII

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some Monster Hunter representation, though I feel like they'd want to include a poster boy of the series like Gore Magala. At the same time, I don't think I've ever seen a huge beast like that done very well in a fighting game. That hurt box would be fucked.

As poster boys go, Rathalos is probably the most likely, as he's been one of the most familiar "faces" of the series. That much probably will work whether they go with an actual one, or the little one that Ryuto/Lute rides on in the Stores series.

Either way, if size is really a problem (and there ain't gonna be any giants in the mix), the easiest answer would probably be to say that it's still a "juvenile that's not fully grown". Or again, they could just opt for someone like Rajang, who wouldn't be that much bigger, scalewise, than Sentinel was.

"Don't act like you don't like the ball buster!"

"Ball buster~!"

Neoxon

Nope... the Capcom Pro Tour for this year just wrapped up- if they follow a similar schedule next year there won't be any Capcom sponsored tournaments until around February.
That's what I was thinking. We could see a pair of reveals after each CPT major starting in late February or so. I'd expect bigger info-dumps at around E3, SDCC, & NYCC.

Top Bottom