• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

I don't think Ryu is necessarily as bad as you're making it seem. He has a move with a ton of active frames in tatsu as well as a beam hyper and normal overhead which means he has a ton of tag utility, and we don't know enough about the combo system to know where he lies in terms of damage.

Dahbomb

Captain America is a better Ryu in this game.

Has auto correct invinsible dragon punch, better projectile, better combos/conversions, has defensive counter and can plow through projectiles if need be and then tag that.

Captain America is a better Ryu in this game.

Has auto correct invinsible dragon punch, better projectile, better combos/conversions, has defensive counter and can plow through projectiles if need be and then tag that.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying not to write anybody off so early.

Dahbomb

Is there a list of the playable characters in the demo?

DCN9DUjVwAARaO6.jpg

Seyavesh

you probably also can't reflect cap's shield since the game seems to be working off marvel 3 projectile reflect rules too. i'm p sure this is actually using the same code/action system for marvel 3 stuff b/c i keep noticing quirks that follow the same rules as 3's stuff, especially in terms of "new" things that are doable in 3's system with some janky editing. it's a new engine but from my understanding most fighting games end up usin' that stuff consistently, w/ mvc3 even having some corner quirks that date back to like COTA (how one corner is deeper than the other slightly)

ryu's big things that gave him a little juice were his relatively sick normals, L tatsu's overall hitbox/speed/spacing and fireballs generally controlling the ground game decently once he gets 'em going. it certainly seems like the last 2 things are gone so it's kind of curious what he provides to a team

Dahbomb

He does have his L Tatsu but it's mapped to QCF+K now. This QCF+K Tatsu move him down. But it's essentially just the L Tatsu on a different input.

You can still sort of play footsies with his sweep because it will still lead into a combo if you connect with it due to the game's OTG system.

But yeah I have long written off Ryu in this game. He's the only character in the game I am sure will not be topping any tiers in this game.

Right now my two questions are how pushblocking "assists" works exactly, and whether or not you can cancel command normals that function as projectile attacks into Gem Skills.

DevilJin also said projectiles chip, but chip damage seems to be negated by Advancing Guard.

I know you could really avoid a shit-load of chip by using Advancing Guard in Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. It reduced chip in MVC3 as well, but not by a significant amount.

Dahbomb

Chip and meter gain seems hella nerfed in this game all around. As is damage.

In addition, and don't quote me on this... but I think this game does not have chip kills. I have actually not seen anyone die of chip yet.

I'm sorry but I feel 0 sympathy to Morrigan players. Hopefully this game she's Phoenix Wright tier
You are shit. The goal is always for everyone to be able to play their character and do well.

Chris G doesn't seem to have an issue with Morrigan right now.

Of course it's his first time trying her, but he'd have a better grasp of her than anyone else.
I just want to see her new move. I've seen her play, and it's clear that she has fast and high priority rushdown, but that's not a character I want to play.

Zero has a lot of new shit lol

thank god they're helping top tier zero transition to a new game
It looks like his lightning has a TON of recovery now.

Chip and meter gain seems hella nerfed in this game all around. As is damage.

In addition, and don't quote me on this... but I think this game does not have chip kills. I have actually not seen anyone die of chip yet.
If Dormammu is in the game and he plays anything like UMvC3, you 100% need no chip kills. He dominates too many 1v1 matches without assists.

Dahbomb

I think you need no chip kills anyway because otherwise we would have Haggar vs Magneto/Doom runaway whenever one character dies. At least the other person would have to go in for the final kill and that's a small risk to take.

I remember back when the fake UMVC3X rumor was out there and someone said Haggar got a projectile. The ability to toss trash cans or something. I wonder if he'll actually get a projectile in this game...assuming he's in.

Btw, New, not sure if you noticed while playing with Captain Marvel, but her lines alternate. When I did her beam super, she said something along the lines of, "You're gonna feel this!!", and when I did it again, she just goes,"Haaaaa!!"

I think X does this, too. Gotta see how many others have alternate lines.

kirblar

I remember back when the fake UMVC3X rumor was out there and someone said Haggar got a projectile. The ability to toss trash cans or something. I wonder if he'll actually get a projectile in this game...assuming he's in.

Btw, New, not sure if you noticed while playing with Captain Marvel, but her lines alternate. When I did her beam super, she said something along the lines of, "You're gonna feel this!!", and when I did it again, she just goes,"Haaaaa!!"

Yeah, Hulk has this as well.

Dahbomb

Just save some money and do this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nweAzxNnoFc

But Haggar actually does not need a projectile in this game. You can use Reality stone or you can use Space stone to pull them and/or put them in the cube.

it's interesting that you single out MVC1 specifically- why is that? it's such a common breakpoint for folks who pretend like old games were these bastions of good design over 'newer' games.

that you think morrigan is somehow more unfair than any old versus series game where you just outright lose off throws or confirmable hits against competent players is very intriguing. i don't know what universe you come from where morrigan's fireball hell is worse than everyone being able to effectively firebrand-style unblockable you off common confirms into one-touch-kills.

and like i said, the singling out of her moveset is hilarious considering how stratified tiering is in every other marvel game, including MSHvSF accordin' to those folks. every game has it's asshole chars, that's what marvel always has been and infinite will be no different. how many characters did cable and sentinel render unplayable vs. how many morrigan does? i really want to know because i am not a marvel 2 player so a veteran like you would know, right?

not only do you lose tag, you also lose the ability to burst. if one of the gems is a revive gem i really can't see that not being the best one given how the game seems to function. being able to restore functionality to your team is like guaranteed going to always be the best choice unless the other games are XF3 level stupidity in terms of comeback potential.

also, am i insane or do level 3 supers scale now? every combo i've seen into level 3s make them do very little damage.

1. Uhhh... Did you not read that or... ?? Like where are you seeing that i gave mvc 1 or any game before it any kind of glorification?? His insult is that "all marvel titles are unfair". I responded back with the argument "if you never played anything before mvc1 how are you stating that opinion just now".

2. Thanks for calling me a veteran... Your words, never mine. Im very flattered.

3. Uhhhh okay again.. Where have i said morrigan's is more unfair than any other game? Like where are you pulling this shit from...???

4. And yet people complained about THOSE characters. This is Mahvel, there will always be the cheap shit with characters, as you stated. You are literally getting mad because I simply dont like two characters and find them unfair. (well for you, just morrigan) and am happy they are done. Thats an opinion son. Everyone has one. I'm pretty sure everyone wasnt fond of vanilla Sentinel. That didnt stop people from speaking their concerns about the character. Its how shit gets fixed if need be.

EDIT: I dont even know why I chose to respond to this... This was literally a whole post of putting words in my mouth... So this argument was finished as soon as it was started, kid.

Just save some money and do this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nweAzxNnoFc

But Haggar actually does not need a projectile in this game. You can use Reality stone or you can use Space stone to pull them and/or put them in the cube.
lol

https://twitter.com/Tekkaxe/status/875156143760224256

You can see it in action here. (i recommend full screening the vid.)

Also lots of soul fist.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Also, that move looks like crap. So it's Jedah/Dormammu or Firebrand/Dormammu. I'm kind of hoping it's Jedah/Dormammu just so I'm not playing a watered-down version of my MvC3 team, lol.

I don't even know what that move does so it's hard to call it bad/good either way.

The clone from AV mirrors the move - watch the left side of the screen. It procs a trap if you move into its hitbox that spears you.

But it looked to me like Thanos could destroy the trap by hitting it, because he wasn't hit by the one on the right side. Which means the move might be used for some kind of setup, but it's probably not very good in the neutral.

yeah i think the new tag mechanic is a very nice addition. ultimately freedom and creativity is marvel.

i just need to get use to not being able to cancel the new dash animations .. the characters seem to have extra momentum-lol

I swear! What's your favorite Stone right now?

Seyavesh

I just realized the Soul Stone likely guarantees no Phoenix.

Thank god.

no x-men also guarantees her bein' out anyways, so eh
even if she is in, it's like... theoretically you can just space stone activate and blow her away since there's no XF to stop chipouts and no teleport-fireball city/cr.L city with the asshole cube

https://twitter.com/Tekkaxe/status/875156143760224256

You can see it in action here. (i recommend full screening the vid.)

Also lots of soul fist.
i read in a stream chat that you can remotely detonate these with negative edging as well so that's a real cool factor if it's real. between this and iron man's smart mine, it seems like a lot of the returning zoning chars got their own version of trish traps to try and alleviate the closed in screen and lack of assists.

So this argument was finished as soon as it was started, kid.
haha, this definitely seals the deal on not being so inflammatory. if you missed it, i posted on the last page:
thinking on it i should probably be less inflammatory since i'm mostly fuckin' around.
if you're gettin' the idea that i'm actually attacking your character or integrity or whatever newniverse that's my bad! sorry 'bout that, it's just shittalk.
seriously though i really don't get the idea that morrigan is worse than like, COTA storm or wolverine in like every single game i've had to fight his dumb ass in

like stated, i am real curious about it 'cuz you said:
Marvel has always been cheap, but never unfair. (unless you count infinites).
and
I was talking about the moveset in general.. hence why i said what i said.
about morrigan (..i think?)

no x-men also guarantees her bein' out anyways, so eh
even if she is in, it's like... theoretically you can just space stone activate and blow her away since there's no XF to stop chipouts and no teleport-fireball city/cr.L city with the asshole cube

i read in a stream chat that you can remotely detonate these with negative edging as well so that's a real cool factor if it's real. between this and iron man's smart mine, it seems like a lot of the returning zoning chars got their own version of trish traps to try and alleviate the closed in screen and lack of assists.

haha, this definitely seals the deal on not being so inflammatory. if you missed it, i posted on the last page:

like stated, i am real curious about it 'cuz you said:

and

about morrigan (..i think?)

I actually didnt catch this, gotta apologize on that. Got on the phone a little after I posted.

But yeah, I was speaking simply on movesets. I wouldnt call her unfair... at least not by herself... only when shes paired with doom. In all honesty, my problem is doom... Which is why its funny people didnt like what i had to say about morrigan. Morrigan is cheap, but can easily be dealt with. Doom is on the unfair side. I stated in a previous post is that if his missiles dont go away, then what real chance did I have of attacking in the first place? Like someone else stated, the zoning should be an equal balance in the game. I'm personally just not a fan of that style of play against me. Maybe cause i am straight rush down.

With this said, the next person will take this as "You just dont know how to deal with zoning" and I assure you, thats not the case. Its still a headache to deal with, and it definitely dont help when you have a character whose projectiles dont go away and target you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I liked Phoenix as an addition to the cast, gimmick and imbalance and all :(

Yeah, she drove the metagame for a while and forced pretty much everyone to hone their anti-Phoenix tech to perfection, but it was interesting and made pro play great.

You always need villains for people to cheer against, be it Phoenix or Zero or Vergil or what have you. I wonder who the early ones will be for MvC:I.

Gosh... I don't know about you guys... But im just ready to get my hands on this game. I can only get so much out this demo.

I can only hope that they heard fan feedback and release the 1v1 demo. Like for real, I wouldnt even care if it only had 4 characters on it.

EDIT: It's frustrating to know that what we all have is shit compared to the e3 build. It's the equivalent of Toad telling you the princess is actually in another castle. LOL

Skab

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Also, that move looks like crap. So it's Jedah/Dormammu or Firebrand/Dormammu. I'm kind of hoping it's Jedah/Dormammu just so I'm not playing a watered-down version of my MvC3 team, lol.

Yeah, I've heard this too. Specifically that you can "detonate them on button release." Potentially could be interesting, but well have to wait and see.

Just started playing the demo...

It's fun... but yikes at the faces... this game needs more time in the oven for sure.

The E3 versus demo apparently looks much better. It's really unfortunate that we got the story demo instead.

vg260

The E3 versus demo apparently looks much better. It's really unfortunate that we got the story demo instead.

What looks better? Has anyone been specific?

Honesty, this reminds me of how everyone kept saying they fixed Ken's face every time new SFV update footage came out, and we all know that didn’t happen.

Lulubop

Honesty, this reminds me of how everyone kept saying they fixed Ken's face every time new SFV update footage came out, and we all know that didn’t happen.

Everyone who has played the E3/VS demo has said it looks and plays better. Max talked about it a lot, but pretty much every top player I see on twitter has said the same

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Lighting supposedly looks better.

TBH, I'm also skeptical because it might just be the Knowmoon and Valkanda stages making everything look better + them playing with some of the nicer models like Thanos and Nova which look outstanding. But I'm not too concerned because the game looks mostly good overall.

vg260

Everyone who has played the E3/VS demo has said it looks and plays better. Max talked about it a lot, but pretty much every top player I see on twitter has said the same

Lighting supposedly looks better.

TBH, I'm also skeptical because it might just be the Knowmoon and Valkanda stages making everything look better + them playing with some of the nicer models like Thanos and Nova which look outstanding. But I'm not too concerned because the game looks mostly good overall.

I've seen those reports, but yeah, I want to know if they're comparing the same thing in each demo.

Dahbomb

Fact that most of the people in the FGC are enjoying it just makes the whole presentation factor stick out even more. It would be painful if a game that is fun to play fails because Capcom didn't put as much effort into the rest of the game.

Jawmuncher

Fact that most of the people in the FGC are enjoying it just makes the whole presentation factor stick out even more. It would be painful if a game that is fun to play fails because Capcom didn't put as much effort into the rest of the game.

Yep, part of why for a money factor and day one sales on fighters. You need more than just good gameplay to get the masses on boards.

Best thing to do is make a product that's appealing to the masses and after said launch focus on the FGC and hardcore since those are the ones that stick around.

Top Bottom