• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Zissou

Gameplay is definitely not less accessible. Active tag is so much easier to start using effectively than MvC2/3 tag, execution ceiling for mobility is so much lower than MvC2/3 and it's the same for combos, scaling made sure you're not getting too far ahead with damage than regular simple bnb no matter how much time you put into learning combos. Incoming mix-ups are less oppressive and now you have the option to tag during combos to save the other character.

No X-Factor level comback mechanics though but let's be honest, accessibility has nothing to do with the game bombing, if any part of gameplay was turning people off, it's the horrible story mode demo.

Nah, game is less accessible and more snowball prone than marvel 3 by a long shot

Spman2099

they actually sold a decent amount when it released despite some of its problems. not as much as past titles but it wasn't a bomb either. this game looks like its going to bomb and it's then put in a much different situation than sf5. can't make up money selling dlc to nobody.

Unfortunately, unless the September sales end up impressing more than we expect, or the e-sports angle ends up selling this game well into December, this could be the death of the series...

Pretty brutal. If only Capcom had believed in it more in the first place, they could have made something great.

Sayad

Nah, game is less accessible and more snowball prone than marvel 3 by a long shot

More snowball, but not less accessible. If you haven't seen some casuals trying the game, just check the game's preview hands on impressions from the general gaming media, someone who isn't a fighting game player isn't going to start doing tag combos within their first 20 minutes of playing the game in MvC3.

Anth0ny

one day we'll get a marvel vs capcom game that gets all of the love and attention it deserves. but that day is not today.

it would have really been nice though. considering, you know, marvel is ON TOP OF THE WORLD with that whole MCU thing they've got going. a marvel vs capcom game tying into Infinity War should have been the biggest thing in gaming. instead...

wille9

Out of goodwill, Capcom should offer to give away some fan favorites as DLC from UMVC3! Wesker, Vergil, Phoenix Wright, She-Hulk, Taskmaster and Viewtiful Joe.

one day we'll get a marvel vs capcom game that gets all of the love and attention it deserves. but that day is not today.

it would have really been nice though. considering, you know, marvel is ON TOP OF THE WORLD with that whole MCU thing they've got going. a marvel vs capcom game tying into Infinity War should have been the biggest thing in gaming. instead...
Marvel's been making some real stupid ass decisions lately.

Sadly, the MCU is mostly what it is because of Kevin Feige. He doesn't run the whole company and I'm scared for the future of their movies division when he eventually goes his own way.

Marvel continues to make shitty decisions and put out sub-par content on a regular basis, like they always have, outside of the movie division.

Negaduck

They should have given players a 4 player demo (iron man/cap, ryu/Chun). 2p.versus and training mode. Even just give us 2 stones.

If we actually knew the amazing game they had under the hood, the community could have helped sell game through word of mouth.

Its frustrating because I love this game. But Capcom also gets what it deserves for how they presented the game up to release.

I dream of the day we have an good budget for a marvel game. A dream.

kiaaa

So how do assists work exactly sidewise? People at my current rank are starting to use them a lot to cross me up.

edit - also I have no idea how to fight Rocket.

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, I used to be able to do a the simple Dormammu flight cancel combo days ago. Don't play the game for 2-3 days and I suddenly can't do it anymore. The muscle memory is hard to acquire.

Edit: Oh right, I was overestimating the hit stun in this game. You have a significant amount of time for links in this game.

Dartastic

I love this game, even though I am terrible at it. It's just a ton of fun to play even when doing terrible combos and not getting much damage.
I had a friend over tonight who doesn't play fighting games. I gave him some basic knowledge and he started to get into it. He saw how fun this could be. Man. This is such a botched opportunity.

Like MVC3, I could literally sit in training all day and enjoy the hell outta the game. This game is just way different than anything I've ever played before.

Fucking Capcom!

kirblar

Gameplay is definitely not less accessible. Active tag is so much easier to start using effectively than MvC2/3 tag, execution ceiling for mobility is so much lower than MvC2/3 and it's the same for combos, scaling made sure you're not getting too far ahead with damage than regular simple bnb no matter how much time you put into learning combos. Incoming mix-ups are less oppressive and now you have the option to tag during combos to save the other character.

No X-Factor level comback mechanics though but let's be honest, accessibility has nothing to do with the game bombing, if any part of gameplay was turning people off, it's the horrible story mode demo.
ABCSBBCS was much, much, much easier than the combos in this game.

FSLink

Banned

Highly disagree.

Besides the LMHS control scheme which I've talked about before "nobody thinks LP LK HP HK is harder to remember. What's harder to remember at first is that there's more command normals in this game, some characters spike down to the ground with HP or HK....in Marvel 3 your basic combo was LMHS sj MMHS and there's more variation this time around for a basic combo."

The only thing easier is the assists vs tag system. I know as a newbie assists were kinda weird in how to immediately apply them, but I think the skill ceiling for Infinite's tag vs Marvel 3's assists is potentially higher. I don't really think we can compare incoming mixups being less oppressive, since this game is different, and setups are still being figured out. Either way, without X-Factor this game can be brutal especially with how much pressure you can put on your opponent. I agree with people that I'm not sure how newbies are having fun (I'm glad they are!) but this game is so punishing.

DR2K

Banned
More snowball, but not less accessible. If you haven't seen some casuals trying the game, just check the game's preview hands on impressions from the general gaming media, someone who isn't a fighting game player isn't going to start doing tag combos within their first 20 minutes of playing the game in MvC3.

TAC is piss easy. Pressing assists was easy. Attacking with a 1 button special(assist) is easier than doing a special move x tagging out into combo. Did people play testing this game actually say how the core gameplay is so much more difficult.

Marvel 3 is so much more intuitive at a base level that all these new changes don’t make sense.

TAC is piss easy. Pressing assists was easy. Attacking with a 1 button special(assist) is easier than doing a special move x tagging out into combo. Did people play testing this game actually say how the core gameplay is so much more difficult.

Marvel 3 is so much more intuitive at a base level that all these new changes don’t make sense.

One of the biggest changes that people seem to think makes it more accessible is just making simple mode essentially on by default....Simple mode in Marvel 3 was much easier than this game, it was an option, AND it was probably easier to actually learn, although that does depend on the character.

Skittles

Like MVC3, I could literally sit in training all day and enjoy the hell outta the game. This game is just way different than anything I've ever played before.

Fucking Capcom!
Once your inputs are clean and you start to understand the tag system, mmmm god damn. Training mode is some good stuff.

Game can recover, it would take a second advertising push though. Relaunch next year with a Year One edition of the game. Release a new demo, include the first 2 DLC packs in the game for $40-$50, update the UI, and further fix some character's faces. Capcom just has to trust in themselves

I had a friend over tonight who doesn't play fighting games. I gave him some basic knowledge and he started to get into it. He saw how fun this could be. Man. This is such a botched opportunity.

The problem is people try to lern the hard shit and stop.

Gotta learn to walk first..

And the difference between optimal combos and easy to do combos is like not huge in this game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

"Launch > TAC > TAC > repeat" was all over MvC3 preview footage.

Sayad

ABCSBBCS was much, much, much easier than the combos in this game.
If we're getting that basic with combos, LP, LP, LP, LP, LP, ... Switch, LP, LP,... gives the same combo, way easier, works with all characters no exceptions and actually produce a more viable longer combo(~4000 on most characters without meter or any special moves).

To break things down instead of responding to everyone individually:

- 2v2 game vs 3v3 game, that's one less character to learn before you can start.
- A lot of the returning characters are simplified a bit from their MvC3 versions(see Iron Man, Morrigan and Dante being the most obvious ones... From the characters I tried at least).
- Overall skill ceiling for mobility is hugely nerfed.
- Execution ceiling for combos is much lower too between easier inputs and scaling which make going for the harder, longer combos not worth the effort.
- Assists, this is obvious but has a huge effect on other stuff too like team building. In MvC3, assists have very specific usage and you build both your combos and gameplay, pressure mixups around them, switching teams was a pain since it meant a lot of lap time even if for characters you aren't switching.
In MvCI team building is much easier, combo switch points, switch oki and switch lockdowns for characters doesn't change depending on who they're paired with as much as playstyle/combos/pressure did in MvC3 even while keeping in mind the changes required for using different stones.

- X-Factor was easier and more of a comeback mechanic than the stone storms but that doesn't necessarily mean the game is less forgiving than MvC3. Even though it's harder to make a comeback in MvCI, you're still given more chances to prevent losing a character, no TOD stuff, it's way easier and safer to switch the bleeding character out to recover, no one wrong assist call = dead or nearly dead character, counter switch at 2 meters and in most cases, you'll get your storm before one character die.
This is opposed to ToD the game, ToD on almost every team, some that start the round with a 50/50 ToD, and then having to block through 2 or 3 50/50 mixups on every incoming that also lead to ToD... Oh, and not to forget ToD teams, like Firebrand's.

Yea, if you're getting perfected until the last character it's easier to comeback with X-Factor than it is with a stone, but it's more likely to find yourself in that situation in MvC3 than it is in MvCI.

"Launch > TAC > TAC > repeat" was all over MvC3 preview footage.
The irony of the inclusion of the TAC mechanic is that it was supposed to be an easy way that even beginners can use to extend combos but turned into one of the biggest execution barriers to overcome before you're ready for high level MvC3 with TAC combos/infinites! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I really believe Sonic Fox is great at fighting games, but in general, I wouldn't call anyone dominating a game this early. Personally when I think of dominance. it's usually consistency which usually comes later in a game's lifespan, and there really hasn't been much going on besides SCR, Ceotaku, and NWM. Even then it certainly seems like everyone was playing at an extremely early stage and the players really only entered one or the other. Just seems like a lot of dick riding and intentional rubbing salt in marvel players faces, and I'm not a hardcore marvel guy. I never entered a marvel tournament or played it competitively (well okay I entered a local tournament one time, and that was because I was the only dude to show up for KOF13, so they gave me a freebie to join the other games because they felt bad no one else showed up for KOF). Though to be fair, Fchamp did need to eat some humble pie after the shit talking he was doing to him.

FluxWaveZ

Alright thats cool, sending invite

GGs. I played for way longer than I should have, heh, but I was learning so I wanted to continue.

I learned just how important Active Switching is in our set. I was approaching this more like I was playing SFV with a focus on one character at a time in the neutral, but it seems like this is all about switching whenever you can to overwhelm and destroy.

Combos are also pretty important, and I kept dropping the important one all over the place. You got yours consistently, though. The pressure's insane; dunno how I managed to block some of those mixups.

I'll actually learn some proper combos and setups and hopefully I'll do better next time.

Producer

GGs. I played for way longer than I should have, heh, but I was learning so I wanted to continue.

I learned just how important Active Switching is in our set. I was approaching this more like I was playing SFV with a focus on one character at a time in the neutral, but it seems like this is all about switching whenever you can to overwhelm and destroy.

Combos are also pretty important, and I kept dropping the important one all over the place. You got yours consistently, though. The pressure's insane; dunno how I managed to block some of those mixups.

I'll actually learn some proper combos and setups and hopefully I'll do better next time.

Ggs. Im still getting used to active switching too. Still learning how to get used to it and punish counter switching and when to use mine etc. Would like to know more frame data about them and in general lol but i cant find much. Combos are def important and i noticed your dante ones arent optimal ones and you kinda didnt have much of dorms lol but you still won alot despite it.

FluxWaveZ

Combos are def important and i noticed your dante ones arent optimal ones and you kinda didnt have much of dorms lol but you still won alot despite it.

Yep, reminds me of when I started out in SFV and I didn't want to spend much time in Training mode, so I had to get better at the immediately apparent stuff like neutral and spacing, and also abusing the few gimmicks I knew to their maximum potential. Then I decided at a certain point that I actually needed to learn combos, setups, and block strings, and that's when I really improved.

Still at phase 1 with this game. I'm too impatient to spend hours labbing.

Swmystery

Neo Member
So what do you guys think needs to go into the game to salvage it?

To me at least it seems like we'd need an update to really get anywhere, but I don't know if they can even justify that.

Really not sure it can be done at this stage, realistically. There are things which they could do, but almost certainly won't.

The problems with the game at this point are a toxic cesspool of public opinion, an underwhelming base roster (that you need to pay significant money or buy the Season Pass to improve) and the game's aesthetics being so hit and miss. People seemingly haven't been paying another $60 for a repackaged, mostly worse MVC3. Paid DLC isn't going to fix these problems because it by definition requires people to have bought the game (usually at full price) first, and to spend extra on top of that. People understandably rankle at the idea of paying yet more money to for content that they think "should have been in the game in the first place." Of course, the real picture is more complicated than that because MVCI clearly had no actual budget, but the people that Capcom need to appeal to if they want to turn this around don't care about that. Besides, it's Capcom. Their name is already in the toilet when it comes to "unethical" DLC practices.

If they're serious about fixing this mess, therefore, the solutions need to be free or cost little enough that people who buy this game on the cheap in the weeks to come won't mind paying a bit more for such obvious improvements. This is why this almost certainly won't happen.

Stuff that would genuinely help:

1) Lower the DLC pricing structure in general. $8 (even with the costume included) for characters isn't helping the hole the game's in, especially when 3 of them look like they were finished or nearly finished before release given how soon they're coming out. The fact that Season 1 is all new characters when only 6 of the base roster aren't recycled from 3 is rubbing extra salt in the wound.

2) Related to the above, devote Season 2 entirely to filling in the "gaps" in the existing roster at a bare minimum. X-Men (and Doom if Marvel allows) for the Marvel side and the other returnees from 3 from the Capcom side that people actually wanted (e.g. Wesker, Akuma, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright). If they really want to show they're interested in fixing this, give Wolverine and a Capcom character away for free.

3) Do a SFV-style visual update to the game at some point along the line and have it come in a free update. Shout about this and how free it is very loudly in advance.

4) Apologise unambiguously for the state the game launched in. Now, I personally don't think they need to do this. But there's a very vocal group of people who actively want to see Capcom fail for everything they've done wrong with this game and SFV (and maybe even before that), and there's been very little pushback from Capcom. Publicly acknowledging that the game hasn't met people's expectations- alongside some of the other stuff I mentioned- might go a long way toward winning people back who were on the fence at launch or waiting for a price drop.

For what it's worth, I like MVCI for what it is and I'm going to keep playing it. But I also think Capcom dropped the ball in so many ways that they absolutely deserve to be in this position, and I'm really pessimistic about the game's future. With the exception of the X-Men, who I expect to be paid DLC in Season 2, I don't expect Capcom to do any of the things I mentioned earlier. So what's likely to happen is that we get Season 2 and then the game's just left as it is for as long as the FGC wants to stick with it (which could well be a long time, based on how good the gameplay is).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really believe Sonic Fox is great at fighting games, but in general, I wouldn't call anyone dominating a game this early. Personally when I think of dominance. it's usually consistency which usually comes later in a game's lifespan, and there really hasn't been much going on besides SCR, Ceotaku, and NWM. Even then it certainly seems like everyone was playing at an extremely early stage and the players really only entered one or the other. Just seems like a lot of dick riding and intentional rubbing salt in marvel players faces, and I'm not a hardcore marvel guy. I never entered a marvel tournament or played it competitively (well okay I entered a local tournament one time, and that was because I was the only dude to show up for KOF13, so they gave me a freebie to join the other games because they felt bad no one else showed up for KOF). Though to be fair, Fchamp did need to eat some humble pie after the shit talking he was doing to him.

I didnt know how to phrase it really, I also dont think hes going to dominate Marvel.. well maybe he is, not like the NRS stuff tho.

OsirisBlack

Banned
If we're all going to be honest this game could have the best ost and graphics ever and it would still have sold like shit. The gameplay is fantastic which is what used to matter in fighting games, nowadays this seems to not be the case. The missing x-men characters and other glaring roster omissions have doomed this game.

Season 1 and 2 dlc are guaranteed if for nothing else but to even out the roster. Asking for X reps after the sales are so abysmal is a waste of time next season is two marvel and 4 capcom reps. Safe bets next marvel reps If everyone is still all new would be more mcu characters think vision or star lord who knows on the capcom side.

All new characters next pass also makes sense as far as roster parity goes. This greatly reduces the chances of veterans returning to the roster. If the game did well seems they would have done the first two seasons all new characters then we'd get x men packs, street fighter packs etc. as it stands we'd better pray for amazing capcom picks next season because that just might be all we get.

I never really played Zero in MvC3. For those who play him on pad, are y'all remapping a button to be on the shoulders so you can charge and still hit other normals? If so, which button?

Spman2099

If we're all going to be honest this game could have the best ost and graphics ever and it would still have sold like shit. The gameplay is fantastic which is what used to matter in fighting games, nowadays this seems to not be the case. The missing x-men characters and other glaring roster omissions have doomed this game.

You are absolutely wrong. It would have still been heavily criticized, as rosters are (and always have been) incredibly important for a fighting game; however, if it had looked amazing it would have been able to put butts in seats.

It hurts your game so, so bad when everyone's first impression is a bad one. If your game looks super cheap then people won't see the value in it.

Of course, the real answer was to give fighting game fans a game that looked good, played well, AND had a great roster. It is a tried, tested, and true formula.

So how do assists work exactly sidewise? People at my current rank are starting to use them a lot to cross me up.

I'd like to know as well. I'm still getting opened up to time stone + tag switch mixups or super jump Dante with the gun spam move + tag switch. Lol

Ronin Ray

I didnt know how to phrase it really, I also dont think hes going to dominate Marvel.. well maybe he is, not like the NRS stuff tho.

I wonder with his background in Skullgirls if he really can. It's definitely going to be interesting to watch and I hope he sticks with it

Spman2099

I wonder what the execs at Capcom are thinking? No way you getting bonuses from this

The execs have all the potential information they could possibly need to understand why this game failed... but they will probably just blame the series (and shelve it indefinitely).

I doubt they will ever admit to understanding why it was a garbage fire from the beginning, but I hope they still manage to internalize this lesson. If Marvel Vs Capcom has to die for Capcom to start on the path to recovery then so be it. Maybe in ten years a healthier Capcom will give it another try.

brian!

I never really played Zero in MvC3. For those who play him on pad, are y'all remapping a button to be on the shoulders so you can charge and still hit other normals? If so, which button?

Ive just been using default controls

Welp looks like infinites are coming with the hsd glitch it was nice while it lasted lol

Blackage

I have to crab claw to play Zero in Infinite on pad unfortunately.

In Marvel 3 you could map L to 2 buttons, so most Zero pad players had L on one of the triggers for buster management.

Can't do that in this game unfortunately.

Neoxon

For MvC3, I was able to get by with the default layout before I got my stick. I’m sure it’ll be fine here, too.

I'd like to know as well. I'm still getting opened up to time stone + tag switch mixups or super jump Dante with the gun spam move + tag switch. Lol

The incoming character always comes from the character switching out's back. So if I'm Dante on the left and I normal jump over you then switch, the partner will come from the left, because my back is still facing left.

Top Bottom