• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

kirblar

SFV inherently appeals to a wider audience of more casual fighting game fans. The VS series has always been more niche by comparison just because how fast pace and intimidating it is to get into. So MvCI doing worse than SFV was a given to me.

They might have counted on the Marvel name to appeal to non-fighting game fans. Shame their marketing blew that so hard.
They simultaneously made gameplay less accessible while halfassing it graphically w/ the returnees.

VariantX

?

Marvel was DOA . SFV only got negativity post launch when the lack of content and 8 frames, etc but it never reached marvel status.

Marvel was pretty much fucked when the roster leaks happened and the exclusion of a lot of favorites. People were pretty damn hype on X finally making it in the lineup. The art would have gotten jokes no doubt, but it would have been mostly fine as long as those characters were there. Not only are they not there, but they're behind a relatively expensive paywall. Even if the visuals were on point, it still would have massively hurt perception. At the end of the day, people want to play as who they want to and taking that away has painful consequences to the bottom line. Crossover games are popularity contests, not trans-media market engines. Marvel and Capcom literally missed the point of why the games are beloved in the first place.

Neonep

MVC:I was fucked when these things happened.
1. Horrible showing at E3 with a poor demo and poor graphics for a game coming out in 3 months.
2. The roster leaked, the roster made this game a hard sell.

I suggest for everybody wondering to go and look at the original MVC:I thread and look at the reactions when the majority of the roster was leaked.

Did we learn some new info about sales or something? I think this game is okay as long as people continue to support it. It's not like they spent much developing it.

Neonep

Did we learn some new info about sales or something? I think this game is okay as long as people continue to support it. It's not like they spent much developing it.

Nothing concrete, only that it's bombing in the UK and Japan. If there's anything more than that then I must have missed it.

Jawmuncher

Marvel was pretty much fucked when the roster leaks happened and the exclusion of a lot of favorites. People were pretty damn hype on X finally making it in the lineup. The art would have gotten jokes no doubt, but it would have been mostly fine as long as those characters were there. Not only are they not there, but they're behind a relatively expensive paywall. Even if the visuals were on point, it still would have massively hurt perception. At the end of the day, people want to play as who they want to and taking that away has painful consequences to the bottom line. Crossover games are popularity contests, not trans-media market engines. Marvel and Capcom literally missed the point of why the games are beloved in the first place.

That's a good point too.
A good roster would've survived just fine with a leak. The fact that the leak destroyed this game and didn't even help when the other additions showed up was not a good sign.

That ass on Panther, though
giphy.gif

kitzkozan

The leaked roster and the horrible models sealed the fate of the game. Chun Li face literally broke the spirit of many people and they haven't fully recovered yet. Just look at SFV, Chun Li is the waifu goddess despite not being the most used character. :p

Zomba13

I mean, I know you shouldn't go to PC if you want to play a fighter online but maaaaan. It's 100% dead. Nobody is ever playing. I can't get any matches. I didn't have this issue with MKX and that was a PC version that had issues that stopped a bunch of people from even being able to play for a while.

Jawmuncher

Like just to put into perspective how botched the MVC:I launch seems to be sales wise.
Cuphead has sold more and made more money off just being a $20 dollar indie title with a bit of MS backing.

That's not a knock on cuphead. That game is great. But it puts into perspective how a supposed "AAA" game just got beat by a challenging indie platformer that'd i'd argue is a more "niche" game in the sense of what it's offering. The fact that this game potnetially will not even pass 1 million in sales really paint's a bad picture for the future unless things change.

Like I won't be surprised if it's not in the top 10 for September.
Hell I half expect Injustice 2 to still be there just to really cement things.

Can someone check the credits for the game? I'm out of the house but metacritic says the dev team had about 12 people on it besides voice cast.

Capcom gave no one a reason to purchase this game. All you heard was how epic the story supposedly was and that's it. They were mostly quiet.

I still laugh at how we thought the announcements in Apr were to get the obvious picks out of the way so they could focus on the newer characters. We were way off.

Jawmuncher

Capcom gave no one a reason to purchase this game. All you heard was how epic the story supposedly was and that's it. They were mostly quiet.

I still laugh at how we thought the announcements in Apr were to get the obvious picks out of the way so they could focus on the newer characters. We were way off.

I wish I could go back in time and lay it all straight.
Though everyone would've just been like "Nah you can't be telling the truth"

If they want people to take this game seriously, then they're pretty much going to have to overhaul literally everything besides the core gameplay: the roster, the art style, the voice direction, the music, it all needs to be redone and made on par with UMVC3.

I just don't know if Capcom (or Marvel) for that matter are willing to invest that much into the game.

VariantX

Yep. Capcom had the game on radio silence right after that initial trailer. It took them forever to even announce the obvious characters. Meanwhile, you could not pay NRS to shut up about IJ2. You rarely went more than 4 - 6 weeks without hearing what they got in store for us.

Tirael

Can someone check the credits for the game? I'm out of the house but metacritic says the dev team had about 12 people on it besides voice cast.

6 under Game Design
22 under Programming
6 under Character Models
10 under Environment Design
11 under VFX
4 under UI Design
3 under Animation
7 under Motion Capture
4 under Audio Production
3 under Character Design
2 under Title Design
2 under Look Dev (???)
1 under Manual Layout Design

Total: 81

The rest is marketing and production, etc.

Jawmuncher

Yep. Capcom had the game on radio silence right after that initial trailer. It took them forever to even announce the obvious characters. Meanwhile, you could not pay NRS to shut up about IJ2. You rarely went more than 4 - 6 weeks without hearing what they got in store for us.

Yeah IJ2 marketing was basically everything MVC:I should've been doing.
As we've discussed. Capcom was WAY too reliant on Marvel Character's and the Story mode to sell the game like it'd be a magical fix all to hook the casuals.

I'm amazed they even had any
downloadt2ufi.jpg

Tirael

Adjusting their pricing strategy to gain goodwill? Not going to happen. They'd have to change the price of the season pass.

The least they could do is break out the DLC characters between the character and the costume, make them 5 and 3. As of right now, they're bundled with no way to buy the character without the costume.

Dahbomb

6 under Game Design
22 under Programming
6 under Character Models
11 under VFX
4 under UI Design
3 under Animation
7 under Motion Capture
4 under Audio Production
3 under Character Design
2 under Title Design
2 under Look Dev (???)

That's very few people working on each portion of the game.

The more I hear about this game the more I am shocked that it didn't ship completely unplayable and non functional. I don't know how Capcom managed that feat considering how obviously rushed this game was.

And Capcom was silent on the game because there was no marketing budget for the game. Even if there was, there wasn't much to sell on the game.

JayEH

Anybody looking for some scrub psn action?

6 under Game Design
22 under Programming
6 under Character Models
11 under VFX
4 under UI Design
3 under Animation
7 under Motion Capture
4 under Audio Production
3 under Character Design
2 under Title Design
2 under Look Dev (???)

I’m assuming this isn’t counting the outsourcing?

kitzkozan

If they want people to take this game seriously, then they're pretty much going to have to overhaul literally everything besides the core gameplay: the roster, the art style, the voice direction, the music, it all needs to be redone and made on par with UMVC3.

I just don't know if Capcom (or Marvel) for that matter are willing to invest that much into the game.

Yup, the game need more money injected into it in order to have production values worthy of it being an AAA fighting game. The game can easily be salvaged considering the IP involved and it's overall potential as an exciting e-sport title.

patchday

This game has been a disaster at retail the writing has been on the wall for months. And expensive DLC prices I am aghast at what Capcom is thinking. With my GCU discount and certificates I got a better deal then I thought on Deluxe since if you buy dlc separately its crazy expensive

This is gotta be a sick joke. Someone slap me; I must be dreaming. These dlc prices are positively absurd I cant even begin to defend that. I dont want this game to die before X-men come out and I definitely dont want it dying before DBFZ drops

That Black Friday sale better be really good.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The least they could do is break out the DLC characters between the character and the costume, make them 5 and 3. As of right now, they're bundled with no way to buy the character without the costume.

That's what I have been saying. They should went with this, since people can buy something later and they make more money from it.

Honestly they should went for this

5.99 per character
3.99 per costume
8.99 for both
9.99 for bundle of Capcom and Marvrl characters
29.99 for season pass

So people would have more choices.

Weiss

Banned
So what do you guys think needs to go into the game to salvage it?

To me at least it seems like we'd need an update to really get anywhere, but I don't know if they can even justify that.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
That's a smart move on Capcom's part.

Actually, yeah. Show the game being hype, best way to rope in people. God knows showing low level gameplay, story mode excerpts or basically anything where one can see the models for a longer period of time aren't bringing people in.

To me at least it seems like we'd need an update to really get anywhere, but I don't know if they can even justify that.

Just keep making DLC, then use what that brings in to make an Uncanny Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite or whatever relaunch like Arcade Edition to SFV. Best one can hope for, honestly.

Tirael

Most of these have their own subdivisions, like Producer, Director, Animator, etc., but it would take too long to divide them all out. Some of these might just be whole companies, some are pretty high, but others are quite low. I dunno.

Shirogumi Inc. - 73
D.A.G. Inc. - 27
TMS Jinni's Inc. - 8
Zinou Pharmaceutics, Inc. - 15
Agni-Flare Co., Ltd. - 16
Speed Inc. - 3
Tuetue Kombinato Co., Ltd. - 2
Daiuchu Kikaku Inc. - 3
Historia Inc. - 2
Katsugekiza Inc. - 27
Square Enix Co., Ltd. - 5
Echoes Co., Ltd. - 3
Crescent, Inc. - 1

Total: 185

These are ones under Special Thanks, not sure how some of them are involved or if it's just bad credits design.

Akatsuki Art - 1
Studio Hand - 2
unknownCASE Inc. - 6
D1 Inc. - 5
Streamline Studios - ~114
Access Games Inc. - 9
D4A Co., Ltd. - 7
APLUS Co., Ltd. - 2
charabans, Inc. 3
Sunny Days, Inc. - 1
G-STYLE Co., Ltd. - 4
PRIME WORKS Co., Ltd. - 2
BoobyTrap., Ltd. - 1
Torisan Co., Ltd. - 3
Virtuos, Ltd. - 28
New Generations Pictures, Inc. - 10
Music Productions (Not a company) - 18
Forcewick Sound Design Co., Ltd. - 3
Binari Sonori - 1
Testronic Laboratories, Ltd. - 11

Total: 231

This might be where the 12 number came from, there are 13 at the end with Directors and Producers and such.

For clarity's sake, my posts so far are not a grand total of everyone who was involved in the game. This was originally a question of who was directly involved in development.

smurfx

get some go again

ain't no salvaging this game. i wanna see if this game even makes top 10 in next months npd. part of the problem is that the holidays are going to be packed with games and this game is going to be quickly forgotten by the public. if sales are a disaster in the u.s then they either have to go F2P or give it away for free as a psn plus game and hope dlc sales helps them out.

Weiss

Banned
ain't no salvaging this game. i wanna see if this game even makes top 10 in next months npd. part of the problem is that the holidays are going to be packed with games and this game is going to be quickly forgotten by the public. if sales are a disaster in the u.s then they either have to go F2P or give it away for free as a psn plus game and hope dlc sales helps them out.

I dunno, what'd they do with SFV? They seem to be making bank on that.

Anth0ny

they had/have the full sony marketing machine behind it since it's a ps4 exclusive.

and it still underperformed for capcom. so they're kinda in the salvaging phase with that game atm.

smurfx

get some go again
they actually sold a decent amount when it released despite some of its problems. not as much as past titles but it wasn't a bomb either. this game looks like its going to bomb and it's then put in a much different situation than sf5. can't make up money selling dlc to nobody.

they had/have the full sony marketing machine behind it since it's a ps4 exclusive.

and it still underperformed for capcom. so they're kinda in the salvaging phase with that game atm.
true that sony money helped them market and fund the dlc as well. capcom is flying solo on infinite and they already had a shit budget to begin with.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why's everyone shitting on MvC∞ today moreso than usual?

I think people are disappointed that the game didn't sell very well, I presume. I know some people were disappointed because they might cease the supports for the product so that meant no more DLC in the future if Marvel and Capcom decided to pull out their supports.

So basically no X-Men, No Popular veterans, etc, etc.

Dahbomb

Why's everyone shitting on MvC∞ today moreso than usual?
Mostly because Capcom seems like they are actually trying to save SFV whereas they are still treating MVC like the red headed step child.

Same story as when it was SF4/MVC3. SF4 got all the support and MVC3 got one update and then they bounced. People are worried that Capcom/Marvel are going to bounce on this game too resulting in a game with an incomplete roster, mediocre presentation and tons of balance issues.

Dahbomb

And yeah sales data is starting to come out and people are reflecting on what went wrong.

What went wrong can be boiled down to this: This game didn't get the budget that it needed and Marvel meddling made matters worse.

bubumiao

Ok, I see what you're saying (all of you).

I hope we at least get a season 2. That's all I was really expecting. X-Men + Dr. Doom most likely. Maybe Green Goblin (since they hinted)?

Jaeger

The game plays well. And the roster is not exactly what I want, but I have a few I did indeed want to be in it. I got;

X & Zero
Sigma
Captain Marvel
Ultron is a welcomed surprise in the feels good department
Chunners is amazing

And Black Panther looks like he is gonna be hype.

MVC always gets the cold shoulder.

Whatever. I suppose I should just play the game and hope for the best down the line. At least the the DLC characters are looking fun.

Sayad

They simultaneously made gameplay less accessible while halfassing it graphically w/ the returnees.

Gameplay is definitely not less accessible. Active tag is so much easier to start using effectively than MvC2/3 tag, execution ceiling for mobility is so much lower than MvC2/3 and it's the same for combos, scaling made sure you're not getting too far ahead with damage than regular simple bnb no matter how much time you put into learning combos. Incoming mix-ups are less oppressive and now you have the option to tag during combos to save the other character.

No X-Factor level comback mechanics though but let's be honest, accessibility has nothing to do with the game bombing, if any part of gameplay was turning people off, it's the horrible story mode demo.

Top Bottom