• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Lack-of-Hype Thread. Fuckin' Ant-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing about the MCU is their commitment to making the universe bigger through unique characters. They could just make Iron Man and Avenger movies for 10 more years and make bank but they're expanding in many interesting ways to keep things fresh.

I just hope whatever their first misstep is doesn't stop them from trying or pushing things off for only sequels. It looks like a cool future of Marvel movies when you can get big sequels and unique first movies every year.

Riposte

Wright grew up with Lang, so goes Pym's career as a leading character.

The Ultimates is the worse comic I have ever read. And I read Chuck Austen's World Watch.

What? It isn't even that bad, just a little trashy (well, Millar-y).

Slayven

Wright grew up with Lang, so goes Pym's career as a leading character.

What? It isn't even that bad, just a little trashy (well, Millar-y).

They took the worse traits about the characters and designed them around that. LOL Ironman is drunk again etc. Hell they had to invent Captain America being an asshole. It was a waste of a chance of building something new.

Toa TAK

Banned
They took the worse traits about the characters and designed them around that. LOL Ironman is drunk again etc. Hell they had to invent Captain America being an asshole. It was a waste of a chance of building something new.

But hey--

They made the Clone Saga amazing.

Dead Man

The best thing about the MCU is their commitment to making the universe bigger through unique characters. They could just make Iron Man and Avenger movies for 10 more years and make bank but they're expanding in many interesting ways to keep things fresh.

I just hope whatever their first misstep is doesn't stop them from trying or pushing things off for only sequels. It looks like a cool future of Marvel movies when you can get big sequels and unique first movies every year.

Yeah, really looking forward to the movies that will be different tonally to the mainline Avengers crew.

I heard they were making an Ant Man movie and thought that it was a terrible idea. But that teaser clip actually looks pretty cool. Marvel has done a good job selling people on outlandish concepts but the concept of Ant Man requires a bit more explaining than some of the other stuff they have going on.

The costume looks cool too. I'm surprised to say it but my hype level is rising...

There's a little voice inside me that is just losing his mind over Edgar Wright directing a blockbuster Marvel superhero movie. Edgar Wright! From Spaced!

Needless to say, day one, shut up and take my money, why isn't the Blu Ray out yet, etc.

Coketruck

This thread reminds me of a question I've always had (I'm a relative newbie to comics), and this seems like as good of a place as any to ask:

Why doesn't Pym just default to Giant Man during every fight? Being big enough to punt the Hulk a few city blocks seems to have more advantages in a fight than being really tiny and controlling ants.

fNVfSL9.jpg

This thread reminds me of a question I've always had (I'm a relative newbie to comics), and this seems like as good of a place as any to ask:

Why doesn't Pym just default to Giant Man during every fight? Being big enough to punt the Hulk a few city blocks seems to have more advantages in a fight than being really tiny and controlling ants.

I thought his strength just stayed proportional to a regular man? If that's true, a lot of times going Giant would just make him a bigger target without that much of a strength gain. If Hulk is paying attention, Giant Man isn't kicking him anywhere.

He uses shrinking as a pretty effective substitute for teleportation, invisibility, and breaking out of grapples. His punches at micro-size deliver just as much force as they do at full size.

Plus, controlling ants is pretty useful. Its pretty difficult to mount an assault when all of your henchmen have fire ants climbing up their pants and nibbling on their balls.

To see Pym use his shrinking powers effectively in cmbat, here are some examples from Earth's Mightiest Heroes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyxszj8Bxc

kris.

Banned
Joe Cornish from Attack the Block is on the script with Wright as well. Lotta good signs so far.

i was not aware of this. hype level has officially surpassed GotG hype. fuck. edgar wright, joe cornish, paul rudd, michael douglas, superhero heist comedy thing.

1279082592656.jpg

I heard they were making an Ant Man movie and thought that it was a terrible idea. But that teaser clip actually looks pretty cool. Marvel has done a good job selling people on outlandish concepts but the concept of Ant Man requires a bit more explaining than some of the other stuff they have going on.

The costume looks cool too. I'm surprised to say it but my hype level is rising...

Ant-Man needs less explanation than the whole of Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm sure it'll be fine.

GotG is the biggest flop risk for Marvel. Everyone involved in the movie is just so hyped for it and getting high off their own fumes. Concerns me a little.

You also think the FF reboot might turn out okay. Your opinion is now suspect.

It might.

You gonna argue against the fact that Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish are teaming up on a Paul Rudd superhero heist movie?

You gonna argue against that because I think there's a possibility a Fantastic Four movie from Josh Trank and Michael B. Jordan might not suck?

You're gonna suck at arguments if you try that :)

DarkFlow

Banned
It might.

You gonna argue against the fact that Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish are teaming up on a Paul Rudd superhero heist movie?

You gonna argue against that because I think there's a possibility a Fantastic Four movie from Josh Trank and Michael B. Jordan might not suck?

You're gonna suck at arguments if you try that :)
Lol oh you.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why strafer hasn't posted a picture of Evangeline Lily yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom