• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Lack-of-Hype Thread. Fuckin' Ant-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This movie's gonna bomb ... hope it doesn't take Marvel down a peg when it does, they don't deserve to take a step back because of 1 horrible idea. :/

Said everyone about every Marvel movie that's been announced for the MCU for years. Ant Man is going to tie directly into Avengers 2, and it comes out a month after it. There's no way it does anything but great.

This movie's gonna bomb ... hope it doesn't take Marvel down a peg when it does, they don't deserve to take a step back because of 1 horrible idea. :/

Iron Man's gonna bomb... who cares about a guy in a metal suit
Thor's gonna bomb... the mythology and worlds are too complicated
Captain America's gonna bomb... he's just propaganda

GotG is the biggest flop risk for Marvel. Everyone involved in the movie is just so hyped for it and getting high off their own fumes. Concerns me a little.

I'd say Thor was the biggest flop risk

at least GOTG is built off of the MCU hype

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest problem for gotg is that tmnt opens a week after it.

And you're worried people might watch TMNT and decide never see to another movie again? 'cause it might be that bad.

Slayven

This thread reminds me of a question I've always had (I'm a relative newbie to comics), and this seems like as good of a place as any to ask:

Why doesn't Pym just default to Giant Man during every fight? Being big enough to punt the Hulk a few city blocks seems to have more advantages in a fight than being really tiny and controlling ants.
At max height he is not even Mid tier strength wise and plus he is a larger target

I thought his strength just stayed proportional to a regular man? If that's true, a lot of times going Giant would just make him a bigger target without that much of a strength gain. If Hulk is paying attention, Giant Man isn't kicking him anywhere.
What he said. The only mega powerful grower is Atlas

raphier

Banned
And you're worried people might watch TMNT and decide never see to another movie again? 'cause it might be that bad.
Not everyone goes to watch two movies at same time. And then its mostly only new releases. Casual people won't see gotg if they go to tmnt, etc, etc you get the point.

Philippo

Ooh man this one, GotG, eventual Strange and Black Panther movies, Daredevil on Netflix, all of them excite me waaay more than the "mainstream" Avengers movies.

Phase 3 gonna be good.

J10

Banned
Nine straight wins and two more incoming and people still predicting bombs. Incredible. Secretly wishful thinking or just unable to detect patterns - I can't tell.

When people see Ant-Man shrink out of a sleeper hold they'll know exactly what the fuck it is. They ain't ready.

Pretty hyped for this or any expansion of the MCU universe, especially if it's handled by Wright. Also not very worried about its performance if they can leverage the Avengers/MCU stuff in its marketing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not everyone goes to watch two movies at same time. And then its mostly only new releases. Casual people won't see gotg if they go to tmnt, etc, etc you get the point.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I always watch two movies at the same time.

trinest

They ever going to make a The Incredible Hulk sequel? It's the only movie out atm that has no sequel.

Not before my Ant-Man sequel you don't.

Technically it's a sequel to Hulk, isn't it? Or is it classed as a straight reboot?

It is a reboot which takes some pieces from the original as a continuality, but changes a few things as well. Basically technically yes, but the original isn't part of the MCU.

This is what Feige had to say about IH2

Basically, stay tuned for any news after Avengers 2.

Probably will be in the next era if it is made at all, not the new one starting with Ant-Man and the like?

Marvel has been wonderful with directors choices before but Wright is in a league of his own imo. Movie might not be the most special financially but will be awesome nevertheless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what kind of changes would they have made to the MCU to accommodate this? Surely they wouldn't do anything major to likely tentpoles like iron man or avengers, so probably just tweaks to things to blend in better when Ant Man comes out?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is what Feige had to say about IH2

Basically, stay tuned for any news after Avengers 2.
Hmm. I can't see it being any time soon, I really don't think they want to rush out more Hulk films. Feige said they think they won't exceed 2 films a year, and with Strange and another Thor being a shoe in for Phase 3, I can't see it filling even the last slot between 2016 or 2017.

Whenever they're asked about Hulk films it never seems like its a priority, or even something they're considering (even though they're obviously drafting scripts for everything).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
God I am so HYPED for this movie. Love the MCU and love Edgar Wright & Joe Cornish.

BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK

What saddens me is seeing Ant-Man getting a movie before Black Panther. I mean, all that vibranium didn't come from thin air.

But fuck, I'm hyped for all Marvel movies!

I have faith in Phase 3: Dr Strange & Black Panther.

Pop

What saddens me is seeing Ant-Man getting a movie before Black Panther. I mean, all that vibranium didn't come from thin air.

But fuck, I'm hyped for all Marvel movies!

Hmm. I can't see it being any time soon, I really don't think they want to rush out more Hulk films. Feige said they think they won't exceed 2 films a year, and with Strange and another Thor being a shoe in for Phase 3, I can't see it filling even the last slot between 2016 or 2017.

Whenever they're asked about Hulk films it never seems like its a priority, or even something they're considering (even though they're obviously drafting scripts for everything).

Yeah, I agree. I should have said "don't expect any news before A2 at the earliest". If they're going with Ant-Man and Strange for Phase 3 they'll have at least another cashcow next to Cap 3. Or they'll make 5 solo films before A3.

Kind of a Bummer, since it seems like it won't happen for awhile. Mark Ruffalo would do great in his solo film I think. Better then Norton for damn sure.

Ruffalo with a good supporting cast and interesting enemy/enemies would be great but I didn't expect them to do a solo movie anyway. I fully expected a Iron Man vs. Hulk movie but that probably won't happen anymore.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
A decade to get this right, Wright.
10 years.
Love the Cornetto Trilogy so I have absolute faith, that + Rudd, means this is a day 1 watch.

TDLink

Yeah, I agree. I should have said "don't expect any news before A2 at the earliest". If they're going with Ant-Man and Strange for Phase 3 they'll have at least another cashcow next to Cap 3. Or they'll make 5 solo films before A3.

Ruffalo with a good supporting cast and interesting enemy/enemies would be great but I didn't expect them to do a solo movie anyway. I fully expected a Iron Man vs. Hulk movie but that probably won't happen anymore.

They have said Phase 3 will be longer than Phase 1 or 2. I am betting Avengers 3 won't happen until 2018 at the earliest, maybe not until 2019.

That could mean, in theory, for Phase 3:
Ant Man in 2015
Cap and Strange in 2016
Thor and Black Panther/GotG 2/Nova in 2017
Black Panther/GotG 2/Nova and Hulk in 2018
Black Panther/GotG 2/Nova and Avengers 3 in 2019

I could also see them doing three films in one of the years if they really want to get A3 in 2019. I predict those will be the films in the phase though. It's possible Ms. Marvel could show up too.

I was more excited for this film before I learned Scott Lang was the main character. Hank Pym is far more interesting.

The Ultimates is the worse comic I have ever read. And I read Chuck Austen's World Watch.

Ultimates isn't even the worst comic Millar's written, it's actually one of his best.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm just excited Marvel is making a movie out of fucking Ant-Man of all people. If you told, hell 5 years ago they were, I would have laughed in your face then check you for brain damage.

Oh my, all 3 in a row ...!
Who the fuck cares about Iron Man? Obviously that movie gonna bomb.
Iron Man's gonna bomb... who cares about a guy in a metal suit
Thor's gonna bomb... the mythology and worlds are too complicated
Captain America's gonna bomb... he's just propaganda
Iron Man -> RDJ made that take off with something that's pretty much the greatest Casting choice they could make. That choice is the spark that started their momentum.
But given the concept the movie could at least grander decent numbers at least (Putting on a suit of Armor and doing bad ass things is an easy thing to relate to and grasp seeing how ingrained it is in our culture).
Thor- no clue who said mythology was a hard sell. Thor's just hocky fun and they played it well. Turns out that the villain was the break out star from that movie that set the women ablaze.
Cap- I assumed it would do just OK and it did ... easily one of their weakest films.

Said everyone about every Marvel movie that's been announced for the MCU for years. Ant Man is going to tie directly into Avengers 2, and it comes out a month after it. There's no way it does anything but great.

Eeeehhhh, I wouldn't underestimate people's apathy to the story of a "Dude who can turn really small".

Nine straight wins and two more incoming and people still predicting bombs. Incredible. Secretly wishful thinking or just unable to detect patterns - I can't tell.

When people see Ant-Man shrink out of a sleeper hold they'll know exactly what the fuck it is. They ain't ready.

Patterns can break ... unless you truly think their past success means everything they make it gonna be a success. Everyone does it, Pixar no longer has that shine their fans gashed on about these days, Disney screwed the pooch so bad with that shitty Frog movie that they wanted to give up on Princess films (and ended up giving up on 2D after they turned it around with Tangled) and Nintendo's put out this THING that's some how doing worse than the GameCube. Shit happens, sometime companys can become so wrapped up in their success that they forget to step back and look before releasing a flopper.

Iron Man was a knock out success ... and it's not cause of comic fans of the character. It was a stroke of lightning that came from many different sides but one major side was "cast the right guy". To me, Ant-Man faces many problems that may not be answered as well as they were in Iron Man if at all.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh my, all 3 in a row ...!

Iron Man -> RDJ made that take off with something that's pretty much the greatest Casting choice they could make. That choice is the spark that started their momentum.
But given the concept the movie could at least grander decent numbers at least (Putting on a suit of Armor and doing bad ass things is an easy thing to relate to and grasp seeing how ingrained it is in our culture).
Thor- no clue who said mythology was a hard sell. Thor's just hocky fun and they played it well. Turns out that the villain was the break out star from that movie that set the women ablaze.
Cap- I assumed it would do just OK and it did ... easily one of their weakest films.

Eeeehhhh, I wouldn't underestimate people's apathy to the story of a "Dude who can turn really small".

Patterns can break ... unless you truly think their past success means everything they make it gonna be a success. Everyone does it, Pixar no longer has that shine their fans gashed on about these days, Disney screwed the pooch so bad with that shitty Frog movie that they wanted to give up on Princess films (and ended up giving up on 2D after they turned it around with Tangled) and Nintendo's put out this THING that's some how doing worse than the GameCube. Shit happens, sometime companys can become so wrapped up in their success that they forget to step back and look before releasing a flopper.

Iron Man was a knock out success ... and it's not cause of comic fans of the character. It was a stroke of lightning that came from many different sides but one major side was "cast the right guy". To me, Ant-Man faces many problems that may not be answered as well as they were in Iron Man if at all.

You mean the frog movie that made 270m worldwide, got 84 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and received 3 Oscar nominations?

They screwed the pooch on that?

Ovid

Sounds boring but Michael Douglas as Hank Pym is a novel choice. He NEEDS to be Giant Man in Avengers 2
What I've heard about the plot (outside of what was released to the public) so sounds freaking amazing.

This movie is going to be one fun ride.

Nintendo's put out this THING that's some how doing worse than the GameCube. Shit happens, sometime companys can become so wrapped up in their success that they forget to step back and look before releasing a flopper.

WiiU is a continuation of a trend not the outlier, that was the wii. At least get you're analogies right

Wright hasn't had a bad film in his career. Rudd is awesome. The MCU is bursting at the seams. I love it.

Know what I hope they do? I hope that Ant-Man was actually present in all the major events throughout the MCU, he was just microscopic so you couldn't see him. Like, we find out he actually helped out a bunch in the Battle of New York, he just wasn't visible.

"The Avengers? Hm. Like the sound of that."

Wright hasn't had a bad film in his career. Rudd is awesome. The MCU is bursting at the seams. I love it.

Know what I hope they do? I hope that Ant-Man was actually present in all the major events throughout the MCU, he was just microscopic so you couldn't see him. Like, we find out he actually helped out a bunch in the Battle of New York, he just wasn't visible.

lol this would be amazing

BossLackey

Gold Member
He kinda does

doombot0001.jpg

Issue 12 was the last issue :(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

omfg yes please

Forkball

All I know about Ant-Man is from The Ultimates. I'm sorry. Though I do think his costume is cool in a cheesy sci fi kind of way.

news_photo_46109_1385420152.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

That's.... a fucking amazing idea! That would fit right in with the direction the movie is taking too. It's too good an idea to actually be happening, so I'll just forget you ever said this as of now to avoid me being disappointed when it doesn't happen....

TDLink

Perfect way to balance out Stark now creating Ultron, I feel :p Black Widow being able to close an interdimensional portal? I think not!

Stark creating Ultron is not yet confirmed. It's a fan theory. All that Marvel has said is that Ultron does not need to be created by Ant Man when asked about how they will do Ultron without having Ant Man first. That doesn't even mean he hasn't been created by Ant Man. It's a complete non-answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom