• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Every time I read about someone complaining about how someone looks in a videogame I want to see that person's face so I can point out all they're faults 🤣
The problem isn't with the general look of the character.
The problem is we know who they are based off and they kinda missed the mark last time and now it's just gotten worse which it shouldn't.
If the character was based off Annette O'Toole it would be a different story.
If you look at the actors they are instantly recognizable to the characters in game, so Insomniac can capture them perfectly
FW80weY.jpg
lMvfSJa.jpg
xZLxE7A.jpg
I4cNwtH.jpg

You could literally cast them as the live action versions
But Mary Jane isn't even close
iDHYnhV.jpg

The first Spider-Man was actually closer but still off, but at least you could see her somewhere in there
But who is this?
m40y9j3.jpg

Okay maybe it's a old photo so she's changed but still not even close.
DnatET0VsAAeDZp.jpg:large

Last edited:
The problem is we know who they are based off and they kinda missed the mark last time and now it's just gotten worse which it shouldn't.
If you look at the actors they are instantly recognizable to the characters in game, so Insomniac can capture them perfectly
FW80weY.jpg
lMvfSJa.jpg
xZLxE7A.jpg
I4cNwtH.jpg

iDHYnhV.jpg

The first Spider-Man was actually closer but still off, but at least you could see her somewhere in there
But who is this?
m40y9j3.jpg
gillian-anderson-the-x-files.gif

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

Certinty

Sort of expected the NPCs in the open world to be a little more alive but at the same time at least they aren’t all wearing black and grey like the other two games so it’s at least an upgrade there.

Gamerguy84

I didn't have room. Downloading now with 12 minutes to go. It's 90.x GB so had to delete an older game.

Going to be spidey ING in 63 minutes.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope this is fun. I liked the first game. I got bored of Miles Morales and never completed it. I hope the hype lasts longer than the weekend.

An hour left to go, so I’m playing it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Sort of expected the NPCs in the open world to be a little more alive but at the same time at least they aren’t all wearing black and grey like the other two games so it’s at least an upgrade there.
After Cyberpunk, it's hard to take these NPCs seriously.

DeepSpace5D

I’m trying to switch from performance mode to fidelity, but when I change to fidelity, it says the setting requires a lobby restart to apply. I apply and restart, but when I go back to visual settings, it has performance mode selected again. Anyone else?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’m trying to switch from performance mode to fidelity, but when I change to fidelity, it says the setting requires a lobby restart to apply. I apply and restart, but when I go back to visual settings, it has performance mode selected again. Anyone else?
Could always default your PS5 to fidelity mode? That’s what’s mine is always on for every game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am completely over the amount of tutorial at the start. They try to make it cinematic but there is still only so much of some asshole on comms telling me what to do in a row that I can take. The the gadget upgrade thing after setting up the first step of the network was the end of my tolerance, now still going anything further is just purely irritating.

Hugare

I am completely over the amount of tutorial at the start. They try to make it cinematic but there is still only so much of some asshole on comms telling me what to do in a row that I can take. The the gadget upgrade thing after setting up the first step of the network was the end of my tolerance, now still going anything further is just purely irritating.
My feelings exactly

Its late in here, so I had 40 minutes to play the game before going to bed. I thought "maybe I'll fly around and experience the new open world gameplay before sleeping"

Nope. Finished the boss, then some drone minigame, then a combat tutorial with some criminals, then a tutorial about levelling up, and now my time is gone for tonight.

Angry Denzel Washington GIF

Shakka43

Did one hour. I hope the rest of the game is 9/10 cause on tutorials alone I'd duck a point off of it. They are way too intrusive to the gameplay's flow.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

You probably have Performance mode as default in your PS5 settings. It is constantly overriding your Spider Man 2 setup.

TheShocker

I made some changes prior to starting new game and found that I was still in performance mode. After you get through the initial tutorial fights you can select the visual option in the in game menu. I was able to change it to : fidelity, VRR Smooth, 120hz on, CA off, Motion Blur off, Depth off field off.

Playing during golden evening is like playing a completely new game wtf. It looks so beautiful compare to normal daytime.

The 40 fps mode is smooth af. Gonna play the whole game in this mode.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I made some changes prior to starting new game and found that I was still in performance mode. After you get through the initial tutorial fights you can select the visual option in the in game menu. I was able to change it to : fidelity, VRR Smooth, 120hz on, CA off, Motion Blur off, Depth off field off.
This was my exact experience as well. It ignored the setting change on the first setup screen, but right after I beat the opening mission and was in free roam, I went into settings and was able to change freely. Could just be a day 1 minor thing.

apowhungo

ok the opening was a little shitty but then holy fuck! this game is absolutely nutty looking. draw distance is jaw dropping.
messed around in fidelity mode and its almost worth the motion blur eyesore 30fps gives you.

was hoping being able to adjust swing assist would have more of an effect but its still super easy on 0

highly suggest turning off the hud and just zipping around

edit: leaving hud off doesnt show you any in game prompts :/ hopefully its patch worthy but turning off mini map is a start

Last edited:
FW80weY.jpg
lMvfSJa.jpg
xZLxE7A.jpg
I4cNwtH.jpg

iDHYnhV.jpg

But who is this?
m40y9j3.jpg

Okay maybe it's a old photo so she's changed but still not even close.
DnatET0VsAAeDZp.jpg:large
*All the men are exactly the same*

*the one female lead is uglied up*

I’m sure that’s a giant coincidence on insomniacs part

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
After an hour and a half, it seems like the game would be absolutely amazing if they'd stop with the tutorial lecturing and halting of the gameplay and just let me fucking play how I want to already :messenger_weary:

The game looks amazing of perf mode. I am surprised with how much cleaner the fighting feels given that the first two games already featured frenetic yet smooth and satisfying combat.

TIGERCOOL

If you have a 120hrz TV I can’t believe how good the 40fps mode is. Keep the fidelity with a substantially smoother game. I didn’t think 30 to 40 would be that significant.
Do you need vrr to do 40 at 120 Hz or will it work on my monitor?

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

Haven't got my copy yet, but holy fuck, can't believe there's more MJ 'stealth' scenes in this game. They absolutely killed the first one for me. Literally groaned out loud everytime it switched to one.

Not to mention they made MJ butt ugly... yikes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you have a 120hrz TV I can’t believe how good the 40fps mode is. Keep the fidelity with a substantially smoother game. I didn’t think 30 to 40 would be that significant.
Yeah, once you look at the framerate in ms you see how 40 FPS is bang on the middle.

What playing on Steam Deck has made me realise is that fixed variable framerate targets are underused on TV.

Game struggles to hit 60 FPS? Set the framerate to a locked 50 FPS target… With the Steam Deck you can cap the framerate at all sorts of increments… 45 FPS is stable? Set the screen refresh rate at fixed 45 FPS. VRR is not the only answer.

Top Bottom