• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seregil

So I'm probably imagining this, but did Iron Man remove his arc reactor when he was confronting Loki at the end? I didn't notice it glowing through his shirt and it looked like his hand was shaking when he was pouring the drink. I thought the reason Loki's staff didn't work on him was because he had removed his "heart"...which didn't make any sense. I asked my friends and they didn't know what I was talking about so...I probably just wasn't paying attention.

OldRosa

Banned
The story was a little bit sillier than I would've liked, but overall this movie was great fun.

Out of all the Marvel Avenger movies I still like the first Iron Man the best though.

Maybe Chitauri technology has advanced so far that they've lost the need to protect themselves from traditional ammunition.

(or maybe they just suck)

Maybe Chitauri technology has advanced so far that they've lost the need to protect themselves from traditional ammunition.

(or maybe they just suck)

Or Black Widow's guns are not conventional weapons. They have an aircraft carrier than can fly using huge fans. And laser beam rifles.

ReiGun

I watched that group shot like a million times in trailers, but seeing it on the big screen still got me hype as fuck.

Watched it opening day. It was a great movie. I thought it had a little too many cheap laughs, but that hardly took away from it. Thor's comment about Loki being adopted still bugs me, though.

So I'm probably imagining this, but did Iron Man remove his arc reactor when he was confronting Loki at the end? I didn't notice it glowing through his shirt and it looked like his hand was shaking when he was pouring the drink. I thought the reason Loki's staff didn't work on him was because he had removed his "heart"...which didn't make any sense. I asked my friends and they didn't know what I was talking about so...I probably just wasn't paying attention.

I took that scene pretty literally, and assumed that (given the previous scenes with character's neck's turning black and all) the tip needed to touch skin, and Stark just had a metal thing that didn't 'conduct' it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Did the Hulk say anything after smashing Loki? I thought he said something but I could't hear because everyone was laughing.

KevinCow

Banned
I brought my little cousin the second time I saw the movie. He totally ruined one of the best lines of the movie.

Captain America turns and says, "Hulk." They pause for a second.

Then before Cap says his perfectly timed line, my little cousin screams out, "SMASH!" I guess he saw it in a trailer or had a friend tell him about it or something.

I wanted to slap him so bad. I love him, but why is it so hard to get him to shut the fuck up until the end of the movie?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Most of the industry follows the leader, so to speak, so maybe this will help deter future shaky-cam implementations.

Oh, and did anyone else notice (and like) when he did some of those more unique shots. I know there were several, but the one with the camera in the driver's seat in the cab as it flipped comes to mind as being awesome.

As a film maker, easily the most interesting shot. I saw it with my best friend, also working in the industry in LA and he had the same visceral reaction.

It's such a tiny little shot in the midst of a really great movie, but it still sticks out to me logistically. Whatever second team shot that (unless the DP or Whedon really, really planned for it) had to know they got gold when they saw it.

Amir0x

Banned
Hahaha, yeah, okay. I wish Avengers was "bog standard" for superhero flicks.

The Avengers stands on par with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Aliens as far as all-time great escapist entertainment. I can't wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray so I can see if putting it in contact with a copy of Revenge of the Fallen causes mutual annihilation like matter and antimatter.

It really is, though. It's fanwank - it's what fans want, and yours is typical of the type of code language people hide behind to try to elevate it. Use of phrases like 'great escapist entertainment' or 'amazing brainless popcorn fun!' Well, really, all "great" entertainment is escapist in at least some sense. You're not really saying much.

I know I'll be all 'inb4 wet blanket' comments, because that's how this tends to go, but the reality is Avengers is very much its source material. Which is crap, by and large. Joss Whedon did a really fine job working with what he had, and he managed to really strike the comedic notes - which seems to be sorta his thing. But the movie is nothing more than an excuse to blow things up and put big CG event against big CG event, which is clearly more than enough for America and the world at large and even most GAFers. It was enough that I didn't feel I wasted $6 bucks. I guess maybe it would be different if I liked the source material or thought these heroes were compelling. As a stand alone, forget about it... as hard as the movie tries, there's very little characterization here. Simply not enough time. Others will tell me I have to go see the rest of the Avengers movie stock to appreciate it. But I'm evaluating the movie on its own terms, which is not particularly special (and other than Iron Man 1, the Avengers hero movies in general taught me these heroes are not that interesting to begin with).

Loki was a comically awful villain, as he was in Thor, and the alien group had so little development that I suspect they were literally just an excuse for really big things to emerge that the Avengers would have to fight all together. Black Widow and Hawkeye never even had their own movie to develop in, so they certainly got close to jack and shit in this one. Black Widow appeared to be there so that the entire film wasn't a penis fest and Hawkeye appeared to be there for the sole purpose of giving Black Widow something to pout about, because he spends 90% of the film out of commission working for Loki and then conveniently is cured and ready for big final battle at the end. And why should I care about Nick Fury? Forget it.

The movies character highlights came in the form of three sight gags with HULK, which says a lot about the non-CG cast I think, and of course Robert Downey Jr., who can turn even the shittiest of source material into a wink-wink-nudge-nudge tour de force.

I know, this is what comic book fanatics have been waiting on for eons. But for me, it's not a very compelling superhero team to begin with, the script doesn't have enough room to breathe to try to make them compelling, and in the end it's just one big CG splurge. I'm glad I saw that final action scene, it was very entertaining. And I laughed. It just wasn't anything special as far as I'm concerned. Frankly, I liked Iron Man 1 more because at least that was focused. I won't even go into the other comic movies out there.

poisonelf

I just saw it. Faith in movies restored.

Honestly, I was starting to be afraid it's me and not the movies, that I've grown too bitter, jaded, unhappy, whatever. But not, it's just been a streak of shitty movies.

What an AWESOME movie this was. The humor, the consistency of the laws he set for the universe, the pacing.
I was already in love with him for Firefly, now I want to raise a statue to his honor.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'll go for a second viewing with friends who are into comic books (went with my significant other who was not too thrilled about it :p).

By the way, I'll admit to not having read through the 175 pages, so if the general consensus is different, feel free to crucify me. I adored this movie after a couple of years of movies I found to be boring shitfests.

Speevy

Banned
I agree with Amir0x entirely.

Also, I've heard the word "quim" used in at least 5 other movies/shows, and none of them would have kids sitting in the audience.

Some kid somewhere is gonna ask what that is. No, this isn't the 15th century, but good grief. They couldn't have come up with a better line than that?

nel e nel

Saw it a 2nd time today with my wife. Do your wallet a favor and skip the 3D, it adds nothing to the experience.

I really enjoyed some of the little touches in the costuming:

Banner's shirt is purple
Cap's civvies look very 40s, but still modern enough to work
Loki's scarf in the museum scene was green with gold Nordic weavework
Tony Stark was wearing a Black Sabbath shirt in one of the scenes.

Sooooo....Avengers 2: Shawarmageddon?

The Avengers stands on par with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Aliens as far as all-time great escapist entertainment.

wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

3N16MA

Banned
Saw it last night and I see why the audience reviews have been so positive. Each character gets their chance to shine and the film is enjoyable from beginning to end. I know that's vague but I'm sure you guys don't want a thesis of a post.

artist

Banned
It really is, though. It's fanwank - it's what fans want, and yours is typical of the type of code language people hide behind to try to elevate it. Use of phrases like 'great escapist entertainment' or 'amazing brainless popcorn fun!' Well, really, all "great" entertainment is escapist in at least some sense. You're not really saying much.

I know I'll be all 'inb4 wet blanket' comments, because that's how this tends to go, but the reality is Avengers is very much its source material. Which is crap, by and large. Joss Whedon did a really fine job working with what he had, and he managed to really strike the comedic notes - which seems to be sorta his thing. But the movie is nothing more than an excuse to blow things up and put big CG event against big CG event, which is clearly more than enough for America and the world at large and even most GAFers. It was enough that I didn't feel I wasted $6 bucks. I guess maybe it would be different if I liked the source material or thought these heroes were compelling. As a stand alone, forget about it... as hard as the movie tries, there's very little characterization here. Simply not enough time. Others will tell me I have to go see the rest of the Avengers movie stock to appreciate it. But I'm evaluating the movie on its own terms, which is not particularly special (and other than Iron Man 1, the Avengers hero movies in general taught me these heroes are not that interesting to begin with).

Loki was a comically awful villain, as he was in Thor, and the alien group had so little development that I suspect they were literally just an excuse for really big things to emerge that the Avengers would have to fight all together. Black Widow and Hawkeye never even had their own movie to develop in, so they certainly got close to jack and shit in this one. Black Widow appeared to be there so that the entire film wasn't a penis fest and Hawkeye appeared to be there for the sole purpose of giving Black Widow something to pout about, because he spends 90% of the film out of commission working for Loki and then conveniently is cured and ready for big final battle at the end. And why should I care about Nick Fury? Forget it.

The movies character highlights came in the form of three sight gags with HULK, which says a lot about the non-CG cast I think, and of course Robert Downey Jr., who can turn even the shittiest of source material into a wink-wink-nudge-nudge tour de force.

I know, this is what comic book fanatics have been waiting on for eons. But for me, it's not a very compelling superhero team to begin with, the script doesn't have enough room to breathe to try to make them compelling, and in the end it's just one big CG splurge. I'm glad I saw that final action scene, it was very entertaining. And I laughed. It just wasn't anything special as far as I'm concerned. Frankly, I liked Iron Man 1 more because at least that was focused. I won't even go into the other comic movies out there.
You are not alone, quite a few people (still a minority) feel this way. I've said this before but I think the shine off Avengers will wear off quickly.

Kinyou

Just a little question from someone who doesn't really know the comic books.
Why did Banner the first time he transformed into Hulk go batshit insane and smash everything and everyone, while the second time he only attacked the bad guys? Hell, he even sort of listened to orders.

Finally saw it. Waited for the matinee price.

What a shit-tacular shitty shitty movie.

I was rolling my eyes throughout the entire movie & my God what a entirely bad action sequence during the 2nd half.
Watch out for the nondescript/generic alien that come out of nowhere with their FLYING SEGWAY SCOOTERS OF DEATH!

Thankfully a advanced alien race that mastered space travel & energy weapons wasn't too advanced to not be taken down by arrows, bullets & of course the brave men of the NYPD!

Can't believe people think this is even remotely good. Even Bayformers was better than that crap I saw today.

Evlar

Banned

I was rolling my eyes throughout the entire movie & my God what a entirely bad action sequence during the 2nd half.
Watch out for the nondescript/generic alien that come out of nowhere with their FLYING SEGWAY SCOOTERS OF DEATH!

Thankfully a advanced alien race that mastered space travel & energy weapons wasn't too advanced to not be taken down by arrows, bullets & of course the brave men of the NYPD!

Can't believe people think this is even remotely good. Even Bayformers was better than that crap I saw today.

See the thing I want in my comic book hero ensemble movies is more realism.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Oy3FE.gif

Amir0x

Banned
just to be clear they hadn't mastered space travel, they needed the cube to open an ENERGY VORTEX at the top of Stark tower, and only this cube apparently has this limitless power. It also somehow will solve all the world's energy's problems. Also, it makes good weapons.

I think I've listed all its miraculous properties.

Moaradin

0/10

I think the best thing about the entire movie were the jokes. What does that tell you?

I largely agree with his assessment of the action sequence at the end. It was meh aside from the repulsors deflecting off Caps shield

Just a little question from someone who doesn't really know the comic books.
Why did Banner the first time he transformed into Hulk go batshit insane and smash everything and everyone, while the second time he only attacked the bad guys? Hell, he even sort of listened to orders.

Either Loki did it with magic by "influencing him" or it was just plain bad writing.
The Hulk was never that murderous to chase a human woman & try to kill her for no reason. Completely out of character from his entire 30-40 year history.

I remember that as well and also wondering the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom