• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenpachii

These are the actual quotes from the EU without the journalist tripe:

"The coronavirus crisis has highlighted the challenge of protecting the health of the population whilst avoiding disruptions to the free movement of persons, and the delivery of goods and essential services across Europe," the European Commission said in a note to the 27 member states.

"The implementation of... checks of persons and goods should be governed by the principle of solidarity between member states,"

"In order to avoid shortages and a worsening of the social and economic difficulties that all European countries are already experiencing, maintaining the functioning of the Single Market is key,"

Nobody gives a scooby about "social difficulties" and "free movement of persons" when everyone should be staying the fuck at home anyway.

EU is completely invisible towards EU citizens right now. Nobody even hears them. Everybody looks at their own country's. They could scream tommorow open boarders and nobody would follow. EU is done for as it stands now.

cryptoadam

Banned
hahaha that's nonsense, almost every european nation was also ahead of testing in comparison to the US, nobody botched the tests like the CDC.

I agree the CDC f'd up. But for all the testing being done by the EU, it hasn't helped then one bit. Italy/Spain/Germany/UK/France, all the nordic countries their testing hasn't stopped anything.

But I can't really argue that the CDC making faulty tests and the FDA's regulations making them the only testing point did put the USA on its feet. They made shit tests and it hurt the US. But looking at other countries, better testing probably wouldn't have made a huge difference. Western countries just lack the sophisticated cell phone tracking that the Asian countries have.

betrayal

Banned
It’s not , because we don’t know if you get immune, or how long it lasts ...

First do a full fucking strict lock down ... to get organized. After that do your immunization trick. Also it’s not predictable as influenza.

You better hope America goes into full lock down this week.

This is very true. Immunization is a very risky route, because the virus mutates all the time. That's also why you need the flu shot annually. The coronavirus mutates at a slower rate compared to the seasonal influenza, but we still don't know, if immunization really is a good solution, because it will lead to way more deaths than containment and it is not unlikely, that it all start again next year...for everybody.

From the same article :
"With the official death toll in Italy now at nearly 1,300 cases and at about 300 in Spain, the Commission's calls for unity and solidarity have been falling largely on deaf ears as each nation tries to fend for itself, and reports spread of cars and trucks getting stuck at what are normally invisible borders."

It's not about keeping open borders out of pure ideology, it's because adding too much control on borders will disrupt the transport of goods. It's even the first sentence of the article ;
"European Union countries must take care not to damage food and medicine supply lines as they slap on border restrictions in the drive to curb the spread of coronavirus, the EU's executive arm said on Monday. "

Again, no country closes its borders for the transport of goods. The EU advocates limited border closures exclusively for non-EU citizens. EU citizens are allowed to move freely. At least that is what the EU wants. So the EU is against border controls for EU citizens and that's exactly what makes it difficult to contain the virus and why many countries are now acting on their own and either not allowing their own citizens (or any other foreign people) to enter or sending them directly into quarantine for 14 days upon entry.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do people still go out to beach during this time period?

jLT5ruj.jpg

darkestdame

Banned
People are extremely hardheaded & think shit will go back to normal in a week or two. Doesn’t help that the government is floating the same dream.

crowbrow

Banned
I agree the CDC f'd up. But for all the testing being done by the EU, it hasn't helped then one bit. Italy/Spain/Germany/UK/France, all the nordic countries their testing hasn't stopped anything.
Germany is an example of how early testing can safe lives. One company in Germany had a testing kit ready pretty soon, even the WHO got many from them. You can see the results in their death rates. Most people agree that the early testing is what is making a difference in Germany.

Also early and widespread testing is only 1 variable. You then have to act properly. Testing a lot doesn't make a difference if you don't take the appropriate measures. Many European countries acted pretty late even when they were testing a lot of people.

But no country in Europe I think did more testing than Germany in the end.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People are extremely hardheaded & think shit will go back to normal in a week or two. Doesn’t help that the government is floating the same dream.

How does it hurt, though? What do you think the general response would be if Trump got up on the podium and announced that this shit is probably going to require as all to hunker down for half a year?

sinnergy

There is no need to go full lockdown if you got hospitals and rooms to spare. Locking people up in there houses is the dumbest thing u could do. What's going to happen when u tell them to get out of there houses again? boom massive spread starts all over again. And that's exactly what's going to happen in all of those country's.

It's just there to releave hospitals from pressure and that's about it. But even that isn't working well.

The only solution is get imuum and the weak can lock themselves up if they want to, to wait for a cure or some form of treatment to appear while they are at it.

Anybody that still thinks about preventing instead of herd immunity is living in lala land.
We have not, no rooms , not enough icus . Worst gamble ever.

It’s such a bad decision, that it worked for China and other Asian countries...

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Germany is an example of how early testing can safe lives. One company in Germany had a testing kit ready pretty soon, even the WHO got many from them. You can see the results in their death rates. Most people agree that the early testing is what is making a difference in Germany.

How does early testing save lives when there isn't any drugs right now to treat the virus? Or did German tests somehow make less people die and get out of the ICU quicker? And its not like Germany doesn't have a lot of cases. They are 5th in absolute numbers and have 7K cases a day, they will pass China in a week or 2. If Italy/Spain peak then Germany may even pass one of them. As far as case per million if you take out the dinky countries they are like 7th or 8th.

German testing hasn't stopped the virus at all, and if they had a population equal to the US I don't doubt they would be ahead of the US in total numbers right now. Testing people doesn't stop them from dying. And German death per millions is 4, USA is 5. There case per million is 607, USA is 309. Their testing really hasn't changed much for them except they have a smaller population so the numbers look smaller in a relative sense. Germany has about 1/5th the US population. Deaths and Deaths per day are pretty much 1/5th of the USA. Canada which was just as late to testing as the USA has 1 death per million, so explain how we are doing that here without all the amazing testing the Germans have done?

German death rates are probably because as a society they are healthier and maybe they managed to protect their vulnerable better than other countries. Call it luck. Testing does not cure the virus, it does not stop the virus, it doesn't stop the virus from killing you.

Sakura

Basically this. Japan's confirmed case numbers are extremely low because they don't test. They've been lucky to not see almost any deaths, but we know community spread has been there for months.

Testing is very much a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing in regards to media coverage and general perception.

Really starting to bite them in the ass though IMO. For example there is a disability home with 146 people (staff+the people that live there), and it turns out 86 of them are infected. Not doing proper testing+tracing leads to situations like this, which is how you get explosions of cases.

Nearly all Japanese wear masks in public, as do Koreans and Chinese, it protects the wearers, but much more importantly, it shields the infected. That alone cannot not have a major impact on spreading.
I mean, it is true that there is a mask culture in Japan, but nearly all people wearing masks is simply not true.
I would say even now, in the midst of this, half the people I see do not wear masks. Fukuoka yesterday I believe, called on people to stay at home over the weekend because we have started to see cases spike. Today at work? About the same number of customers as usual. Half not wearing masks. I went to a 7-11 after work, and the two staff members there were not wearing masks.
Here is a picture of the people in charge of this. The Prime Minister is here. How many are wearing masks? How close are they to each other?
K10012355671_2003282019_2003282020_01_03.jpg

Even if you are wearing a mask, do you know just how packed the trains get in Japan? In Tokyo you are literally squeezed in and can't move. Mere centimetres apart. I don't think a cheap convenience store mask, probably being reused too, is going to do much.

Last edited:

GHG

It's better that people have hope. Could you imagine the situation if they now said this will go on for another 6 weeks for example?

crowbrow

Banned
How does early testing save lives when there isn't any drugs right now to treat the virus?
If you test a lot of people and get them in the early stages you have three advantages as I see it. 1) Symptoms are easier to control and monitor in early stages since patients are not arriving in critical condition where options are reduced. 2) You stop them from dispersing the virus further by containing them. 3) You can trace easier their whereabouts and test people that were close to them further detecting sources of the disease. With all this combined you can plan better which patients need hospitalization and which need other less extreme measures.

Also Germany higher numbers can actually be a product of higher testing rates. In that case the rate of detecting cases in the US can be way lower than Germany and so the numbers are misleading.

Last edited:

GHG

it's not going to happen, there's still people on the beaches in my area and they've been locked

people will die

Unless they actually close public places like beaches and enforce that closure then people will still go. People are idiots and need to be treated as such sometimes in order to protect them from themselves.

gamerMan

How does early testing save lives when there isn't any drugs right now to treat the virus? Or did German tests somehow make less people die and get out of the ICU quicker? And its not like Germany doesn't

Of course it does. When you are testing people early you are taking the small number of people who are testing positive out of the population in your country so they can't infect other people. Your curve decreases exponentially if you lower the initial velocity. By acting soon, you are not going to get the exponential growth because there won't be enough of people to infect others.

You have put out a small fire. Look at the curve again. It grows like a fire. Very small in the beginning and then engulfs everything. Which is easier to put out a small stove fire or a forest fire? Which is easier to control a small number of people who have it or millions of people who have it? You have time in the beginning to act to remove people from society so it doesn't spread exponentially.

If China was able to test and isolate patient 0, this never would have spread. If the USA was able to test and isolate the small group of people that had the virus in January, it wouldn't have spread to millions of people. Common sense.

Last edited:
So from that, as of 3/28:

0-29: 1
30-39: 18
40-49: 76
50-59: 314
60-69: 971
70-79: 2967
80-89: 3344
90+: 767

Total: 8458 (Total as of 3/28 is actually 10,023 so this data must be 1-2 days old)

As of 3/19 data:

0-29: 0
30-39: 9
40-49: 25
50-59: 83
60-69: 312
70-79: 1090
80-89: 1243
90+: 285

0-29: 100% increase! (well just 1)
30-39: x2.00 increase
40-49: x3.04
50-59: x3.78
60-69: x3.11
70-79: x2.72
80-89: x2.69
90+: x2.69

So, the old people deaths (70+) are increasing at a slower rate than those under 70. Whether this is due to the overloaded healthcare system or just running out of old people to kill? I don't know.

For Spain, the numbers I found through 3/26:

0-9: 0 (0.0%)
10-19: 1 (0.1% of total deaths)
20-29: 4 (0.3%)
30-39: 7 (0.5%)
40-49: 19 (1.4%)
50-59: 35 (2.6%)
60-69: 119 (8.7%)
70-79: 319 (23.3%)
80-89: 608 (44.5%)
90+: 255 (18.7%)

Total: 1367 (The current data for today says 5690 deaths so this data is relatively old).

So basically Spain from.. roughly a week ago, looked very much like Italy, though a few more young deaths, whereas Italy had none for a long while.

I am guessing the older patients are dying faster once they get COVID-19 and the younger people are sticking around longer. My guess is we'll see this trend younger and younger as more time passes, especially with the health care systems getting overloaded. I would guess patients in their 20's and 30's will probably end up mostly fine, but 40's and 50's are going to be higher risk.

Spain recorded close to or over 8000 new cases the past 4 days. Spain's population is something like 46M and Italy is 60M. Wtf is going on in Spain (he ask's, again).

That website (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105061/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/) updated their numbers again, I guess they do it daily? If so, that's nice. They're still behind though as the death total went from 8458 to 9220 (+762, this is about on-par with the 3/27 numbers).

0-29: 1 - (No increase, yay!)
30-39: 20 - x1.11 (+2)
40-49: 81 - x1.06 (+5)
50-59: 340 - x1.08 (+26)
60-69: 1073 - x1.10 (+102)
70-79: 3206 - x1.08 (+239)
80-89: 3652 - x1.09 (+308)
90+: 845 - x1.10 (+78)

So it seems to be killing about on par with #s across the board I guess, for a 1-day snapshot. Will be interesting to follow it and see if/how it changes over time.

darkestdame

Banned
How does it hurt, though? What do you think the general response would be if Trump got up on the podium and announced that this shit is probably going to require as all to hunker down for half a year?
It hurts because people go back out and socialize earlier than they should and more people die. People are planning to go back to church on Easter Sunday if they could. That would cause even more pain.

Whatever the reaction would be it would at least be some concrete certainty.

It's better that people have hope. Could you imagine the situation if they now said this will go on for another 6 weeks for example?
That doesn’t sound extreme at all tbh

Last edited:

Shrap

Americans, I'm not praying for you as I have no religious beliefs but I truly hope for the best. You have some really rough times ahead. Your doctors, nurses and everyone else in the healthcare industry are about to go through hell like never before.

Stay safe and stay inside. Go through your steam library and play all those games you bought for a dollar on sale but you never played. Use that nes/snes mini you bought but only played for 5 mins. Actually start watching all those movies you added to your netflix list. Just stay inside.

I know it sounds melodramatic and most of you will be absolutely fine (health wise), but your hospitals are going to be overwhelmed and everyone needs to do their part to try and prevent further spreading.

Here's hoping we can find some way to get on top of this soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It hurts because people go back out and socialize earlier than they should and more people die. People are planning to go back to church on Easter Sunday if they could. That would cause even more pain.

Whatever the reaction would be it would at least be some concrete certainty.

That doesn’t sound extreme at all tbh

The kind of people ignoring the social distancing recommendations and stay-in-home orders are the kind of people that won't listen unless they are forced to go home at gunpoint basically.

Reactions: RSB

Sugarmonkey

I've said it before, and I hope I'm wrong, but I have a strong feeling all these southern states are going to get nailed right around Easter. Please don't mistake this as a wish. It's like watching a slow motion car crash. Best case scenario is that life goes on and my inconsequential opinion goes on the pile of inconsequential opinions.

As an aside, my in-laws, who live near Daytona and I love dearly, only watch Fox News or read Facebook. Last week they told my wife that the virus is a week away from being under control and a vaccine is days away.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well, oh.

So right now, with undercounting, Italy is at an 11% sCFR. What will this cause it to jump to?

Damn, that could be expontetially higher number then.

Americans, I'm not praying for you as I have no religious beliefs but I truly hope for the best. You have some really rough times ahead. Your doctors, nurses and everyone else in the healthcare industry are about to go through hell like never before.

Stay safe and stay inside. Go through your steam library and play all those games you bought for a dollar on sale but you never played. Use that nes/snes mini you bought but only played for 5 mins. Actually start watching all those movies you added to your netflix list. Just stay inside.

I know it sounds melodramatic and most of you will be absolutely fine (health wise), but your hospitals are going to be overwhelmed and everyone needs to do their part to try and prevent further spreading.

Why not say "I truly hope for the best" other stuff is redundant. It would not even cross my mind to say "I pray for you". Just saying.

cryptoadam

Banned
If you test a lot of people and get them in the early stages you have three advantages as I see it. 1) Symptoms are easier to control and monitor in early stages since patients are not arriving in critical condition where options are reduced. 2) You stop them from dispersing the virus further by containing them. 3) You can trace easier their whereabouts and test people that were close to them further detecting sources of the disease. With all this combined you can plan better which patients need hospitalization and which need other less extreme measures.

Also Germany higher numbers can actually be a product of higher testing rates. In that case the rate of detecting cases in the US can be way lower than Germany and so the numbers are misleading.

1) But testing doesn't reduce the symptoms and people would still be going to hospitals when they got worse
2)But the virus wasn't stopped since Germany has so many cases, is increasing cases per day, and if we took population into account have more daily or equal daily cases to the USA
3)I agree, but again this has not stopped the spread of the virus.

Look if Germany was on the tail end of their curve then I would agree, but Germany is on the upswing right now like all other western countries. All their testing has not stopped community spread or the virus from getting out. The only way I can concede on testing helping them is that it helped them to protect their vulnerable more, i.e. they locked up their old people earlier then everyone else. But you don't need testing to tell you to keep it away from retirement homes and the sick.

At this point the US is doing more test than any country on the planet. I guess we will see in a months time when the US is probably doing a million or 2 test a week while other countries are still in the 10's or 100's of thousands.

You need to test to screen, isolate and contact trace. But Germany's testing to me doesn't explain their low deaths, and like I said death per millions they are almost equal and daily and overall deaths if you normalized for population they would be pretty same.

Go look at my country Canada. 1 death per million. Are testing is probably the same as the USA. So why our are death rate so low? Its not because of our amazing testing we started 3 months ago I can tell you that for sure. People in my city can't even get tested at the drive thru test center they just built 3 days ago unless by appointment and you have symptoms.

This is a weird post. While I am sure there are some younger folks here with no responsibilities, most of us have jobs and kids and life doesn't just stop. We can't sit around eating cheetos and playing cheap steam games. I wish I could, but I have a family to support and a job to still do.

cryptoadam

Banned
Of course it does. When you are testing people early you are taking the small number of people who are testing positive out of the population in your country so they can't infect other people. Your curve decreases exponentially if you lower the initial velocity. By acting soon, you are not going to get the exponential growth because there won't be enough of people to infect others.

You have put out a small fire. Look at the curve again. It grows like a fire. Very small in the beginning and then engulfs everything. Which is easier to put out a small stove fire or a forest fire? Which is easier to control a small number of people who have it or millions of people who have it? You have time in the beginning to act to remove people from society so it doesn't spread exponentially.

If China was able to test and isolate patient 0, this never would have spread. If the USA was able to test and isolate the small group of people that had the virus in January, it wouldn't have spread to millions of people. Common sense.

So has Germany reduced the growth? Because they are still growing exponential for the last week and are sitting in 5th in cases right now. They have double the case per million than the USA. nearly 7 K cases a day. So how has Germany's early testing been doing in stopping the growth in Germany? They will probably pass China in 10 days or so.

I mean ya duh of course if you test the 2nd person who got infected and find patient 0 and quarantine everyone they came in contact with you will stop the growth. But Germany didn't do that.

But the point is testing someone the day they got the virus does not mean now they won't die, while the guy you tested on day 14 he will die for sure. When you are diagnosed since we have no drugs does not matter. You will die or survive regardless of when you were tested. Germany doesn't have low deaths because they found the virus in everyone on day 1 instead of day 10 so now the virus won't invade their lungs and cause them to go into the ICU and then die. Germany's low deaths are most likely based on who is infected (age/underlying conditions) and probably the viral load/how people are being infected. There is rumblings that genetics might play a role or blood type so those could factor in too.

But just because Germany tested people early doesn't mean the virus decided to kill .8% instread of 7.5%.

Should the US have started mass testing earlier, sure why not. Just try and convince people to have a swab shoved up their nose and throat because of some foreign virus that Trump is using to distract from his impeachment trial. Which doesn't even take into accoun the defective kits made by the CDC or regulations that made the CDC the one and only point of failure as well.

but if we live in a hypothetical where the US could of had millions of test kits in January and forced everyone to take the test and then quarantine themselves and they could force phone carriers to give the federal government access to everyones GPS data then I guess they could of done what no other country in the world has done and stopped and killed the virus.

Shrap

Why not say "I truly hope for the best" other stuff is redundant. It would not even cross my mind to say "I pray for you". Just saying.
Oh shut the fuck up you whiny bitch. My hopes go to everyone bar you now.

Just kidding. I hope for everyone including you. I said it because I know it's common for many people over there to say thoughts and prayers. I wanted to get the same meaning across.
This is a weird post. While I am sure there are some younger folks here with no responsibilities, most of us have jobs and kids and life doesn't just stop. We can't sit around eating cheetos and playing cheap steam games. I wish I could, but I have a family to support and a job to still do.
You people can't be helped. Burn in petty hell.

Joking. Stay safe.

Oh shut the fuck up you whiny bitch. My hopes go to everyone bar you now.

Just kidding. I hope for everyone including you. I said it because I know it's common for many people over there to say thoughts and prayers. I wanted to get the same meaning across.

You people can't be helped. Burn in petty hell.

Joking. Stay safe.

:)

Man Louisiana looks like it is going to be another hot spot. Is the government there taking this as seriously as other places?

Leyasu

Banned
EU is completely invisible towards EU citizens right now. Nobody even hears them. Everybody looks at their own country's. They could scream tommorow open boarders and nobody would follow. EU is done for as it stands now.

This. The EU had an opportunity to show that it meant something, and was capable of handling something. Instead, they all looked the other way when China announced a new SARS outbreak, and all switched the news channel and cancelled all their meetings when China locked down 50 million people.

Instead of hearing the blaring alarms when Hubei went into lockdown, and preparing an EU wide lockdown at the first case, they did fuck all. An EU wide lockdown with borders closed and guarantees of support to which ever countries were affected from day one would have put this bed quickly, efficiently, would have cost less and more importantly, would have saved thousands of lives and suffering. The death toll would have been reduced dramatically and the cost financially although in the billions, would have been cheaper than the trillions that this is going to cost.

The EU is nothing. I have always been firmly in the middle regarding the EU. Now though, the whole thing is joke, No one stepped up, nobody planned anything. They have demonstrated that they are useless.

cryptoadam

Banned
That website (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105061/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/) updated their numbers again, I guess they do it daily? If so, that's nice. They're still behind though as the death total went from 8458 to 9220 (+762, this is about on-par with the 3/27 numbers).

0-29: 1 - (No increase, yay!)
30-39: 20 - x1.11 (+2)
40-49: 81 - x1.06 (+5)
50-59: 340 - x1.08 (+26)
60-69: 1073 - x1.10 (+102)
70-79: 3206 - x1.08 (+239)
80-89: 3652 - x1.09
(+308)
90+: 845 - x1.10 (+78)

So it seems to be killing about on par with #s across the board I guess, for a 1-day snapshot. Will be interesting to follow it and see if/how it changes over time.

God damn, so many people will not have their grandma or grandpa.

Like I am not trying to downplay how it effects young people, but this is really disheartning to see how many of Italy's elderly were taken from this world the past few days. People in their 70's and 80's are dying 30 times more than people in their 30's +40's.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People dying in large amounts and trump is tweeting about his ratings.
What a fuckin idiot. How anyone can still support this POS is beyond me.

I learned a long time ago that his supporters don't much about his trolling and banter, just what he says in terms of the things they care about and whether or not he follows through.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Japan is finally banning all foreigners coming from the US, most of Europe, Korean, and China (or have been to any of those countries in the previous two weeks) from entering the country at all, probably within the next couple of days. I guess postponing the Olympics is finally letting them get serious.

The only English article I could find mentions only the US, but the Japanese article cites all of the above countries as well as potentially some others in SE Asia and Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:

gamerMan

But just because Germany tested people early doesn't mean the virus decided to kill .8% instread of 7.5%.
You are not going to be able to control it completely but you will slow it down so that your hospitals can handle people coming in. The death rate is about 1% if your hospitals are not overrun. It only goes up if there are people waiting outside to get treated and can't get the proper care. In Germany, it looks like their hospitals are able to handle the case load hence the lower death rate.

Last edited:
This. The EU had an opportunity to show that it meant something, and was capable of handling something. Instead, they all looked the other way when China announced a new SARS outbreak, and all switched the news channel and cancelled all their meetings when China locked down 50 million people.

Instead of hearing the blaring alarms when Hubei went into lockdown, and preparing an EU wide lockdown at the first case, they did fuck all. An EU wide lockdown with borders closed and guarantees of support to which ever countries were affected from day one would have put this bed quickly, efficiently, would have cost less and more importantly, would have saved thousands of lives and suffering. The death toll would have been reduced dramatically and the cost financially although in the billions, would have been cheaper than the trillions that this is going to cost.

The EU is nothing. I have always been firmly in the middle regarding the EU. Now though, the whole thing is joke, No one stepped up, nobody planned anything. They have demonstrated that they are useless.

Everything you said can be aplied to the US or any other place on earth, no one was looking, no one cared until it was already here.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
You are not going to be able to control it completely but you will slow it down so that your hospitals can handle people coming in. The death rate is about 1% if your hospitals are not overrun. It only goes up if there are people waiting outside to get treated and can't get the proper care. In Germany, it looks like their hospitals are able to handle the case load hence the lower death rate.

Well we will see how Germany starts doing because their death rate per million is only 1 less than the US and is rising at the same rate as the US. Hopefully they can turn things around but they are looking like they will break the 100 dead a day mark today or tomorrow.

The US and Germany are essentially on the same trajectory, just the US numbers are bigger because they have 5 times as many people in their country. So both countries may have "slowed" it down early on, but aren't now. So I pray that German hospitals can continue to not be overrun and they turn their numbers around quicker.

Still doesn't explain why my country which was lax on testing till about 2 weeks ago has 1 death per million. We didn't do Germany style advance testing here. And we are borders with the US and have tons of snowbirds coming across the border so distance isn't something thats helping us.

Leyasu

Banned
Everything you said can be aplied to the US or any other place on earth, no one was looking, no one cared until it was already there.
Of course. I am in the EU, so I directed it towards them. The UN, Trump, The EU, there was no coordinated response, they all looked the other way. Everyone thought of their economies. Now though, the inaction is going to cost trillions. Borders MUST stay closed until lockdowns can eradicate it, a medecine is found that renders it no more than the flu or a vaccine. Or, borders open, and you are on 3 weeks quarantine before you are allowed out.

The negligence is staggering.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Prince Charles is tired of waiting for the throne so he got himself infected and went and coughed on mumsy.

In all seriousness though I'm curious to see how well he gets by with the illness being 71 years old.

Alx

The thing is, EU has no authority on health management. That's one of the topics that are entirely under each member authority, for better or worse. The current situation would be a good opportunity to fix that actually, but for what it's worth it shows that we need more EU, not less of it.
Not that it would be an easy feat either. I mean if we had a EU-level management of the current crisis, it would probably mean we'd had to share our resources to fight the disease.

Jonsoncao

Banned
2) we talk about pre-existing conditions and how those with pre-existing conditions are more susceptible.. but is it the actual condition or the meds that person may be on that is contributing to them being more susceptible ?

After done some research, let me answer this question.

Those with pre-existing conditions are definitely more susceptible to the SARS-Cov-2, especially it moved to the stage of pneumonia. For example, it is observed that liver injury is more prevalent in severe cases than in mild cases of SARS-Cov-2.
Reference: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langas/article/PIIS2468-1253(20)30057-1/fulltext

However, those with no pre-existing conditions, and with a fully functioning immune system, is also susceptible to the so-called "cytokine storm". This storm is caused by people's immune system overreacting to the infected cells. An abundant amount of interleukin (white cell), TNF-a (a signaling protein worked like a scout), as well as proteins activated by the complement cascade are released to attack infected cells. There will be lots of dead cells and proteins remnants blocking your lungs (shows opaque lungs instead of black in X-rays). Essentially, your immune system slowly suffocates and kills you, just like SARS-1. Only this time it is more likely to more aggressive, as I didn't find anywhere there is mentioning of cocktail therapy used in SARS-1 whenever this storm happens.
Reference: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30628-0/fulltext

For those who are interested, I highly recommend a Japanese anime on Netflix: Cell at Work
https://www.netflix.com/title/81028791, the only drawback is that some of the English translations are not accurate. If you could understand Japanese, you will have a much better learning experience.

TLDR: if you are healthy and young, get SARS-Cov-2, and happen to develop into more severe symptoms, then the death rate is extremely high, and the death is painful and slow.

Leyasu

Banned
Well we will see how Germany starts doing because their death rate per million is only 1 less than the US and is rising at the same rate as the US. Hopefully they can turn things around but they are looking like they will break the 100 dead a day mark today or tomorrow.

The US and Germany are essentially on the same trajectory, just the US numbers are bigger because they have 5 times as many people in their country. So both countries may have "slowed" it down early on, but aren't now. So I pray that German hospitals can continue to not be overrun and they turn their numbers around quicker.

Still doesn't explain why my country which was lax on testing till about 2 weeks ago has 1 death per million. We didn't do Germany style advance testing here. And we are borders with the US and have tons of snowbirds coming across the border so distance isn't something thats helping us.
The US doesn't have 5 x the population of Germany. US 327m vs Germany 82m

cryptoadam

Banned
The US doesn't have 5 x the population of Germany. US 327m vs Germany 82m

Ok 4 times sorry my math was off. But you also have to take into account all the undocumented/illegal whatever you want to call them. I think USA population is closer to 350 million than 327 million.

But yes my math was off and its more like 4x rather than 5x.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Looks like Japan is finally banning all foreigners coming from the US, most of Europe, Korean, and China (or have been to any of those countries in the previous two weeks) from entering the country at all, probably within the next couple of days. I guess postponing the Olympics is finally letting them get serious.

The only English article I could find mentions only the US, but the Japanese article cites all of the above countries as well as potentially some others in SE Asia and Africa.

Indeed after postponing the Olympics, people started to criticize the left in Japan admin trying to save the Olympics, and more tests were given since then.

Also based on the news, people from more countries may be denied entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom