• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

U6qGkiX.gif

noot noot

S4tRFVNefdpgQ.gif

The gameplay footage in the reveal trailer does look better than what I have seen from the final game, but they are short snippets with effects turned up to the max. I didn't expect the game to look like that from the outset. Overall I think the game looks fine. Yes, character models are not up there with other games, but the overall level of presentation is definitely better than Dragon Age.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
For Real.

I superimposed the old eyes on the new face. Nothing wrong with the model, it's just the new eyes are really off.

Old Eyes + New Face
me-aoldeyesxxaw7.jpg

This. I would kill for this. Hopefully they can patch it. The overly white dry eyes really kill the faces. Made Ryder in the launch trailer look bad, especially when he walks in and looks around left and right.

Is it too much to ask for female ryder's face to not look like it was modelled in putty.

At least the custom female character in that IGN video looks better. Also theres definitely a graphical downgrade in model shaders, especially the eyes.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The gulf between graphics and animations has never been so apparent. It was always going to happen once we reached a certain level of realistic visuals.

The gulf between graphics and animations has never been so apparent. It was always going to happen once we reached a certain level of realistic visuals.
Probably the biggest reason.

I wasnt at all pertubed by the character animations in Mass Effect 2 and 3.

In Andromeda though... it just looks wrong.

Xtars

It seems that the game has received a noticeable graphical downgrade ever since the first reveal, most notably the eye shaders were drastically reduced among with other post process effects. Considering even the pc 4k version from their videos don't come close to the reveal trailer quality I'm not holding my breath the ps4 pro 1080p mode would introduce these effects back, although i wish they could patch it in the future.

Reveal
vlcsnap-2017-03-14-20npsvz.png

Latest
peebee3wsr8.png

Erm... isn't that peebe screenshot from the Cinematic Reveal trailer? Those usually use in-game assets together with a bunch of extras but are pre-rendered, hence the title "Cinematic".

From what I've seen Mass Effect Andromeda have not been "downgraded" in the scale people are calling it in this thread if you compare the Gameplay Trailers to actual gameplay footage. That cinematics are pre-rendered and might look different is a given, just look at all the Blizzard cinematics, WOW sure doesn't look like that, also looking at other games, a Cinematic trailer is just that, a cinematic whether they use some in-game assets or not.

TLDR: you can't compare a pre-rendered cinematic with in-game footage and call it "downgraded"

TVexperto

Erm... isn't that peebe screenshot from the Cinematic Reveal trailer? Those usually use in-game assets together with a bunch of extras but are pre-rendered, hence the title "Cinematic".

From what I've seen Mass Effect Andromeda have not been "downgraded" in the scale people are calling it in this thread if you compare the Gameplay Trailers to actual gameplay footage. That cinematics are pre-rendered and might look different is a given, just look at all the Blizzard cinematics, WOW sure doesn't look like that, also looking at other games, a Cinematic trailer is just that, a cinematic whether they use some in-game assets or not.

TLDR: you can't compare a pre-rendered cinematic with in-game footage and call it "downgraded"

Wait what..? Its literally the same scene so if they advertise something as ingame and it turns out to be false, then thats false advertisment for me and that doesnt sound legal to me

It is currently roughly the second best looking game in the entire world (Horizon at 1), so idk if I'd be too worried.

You think so? Uncharted 4 looks more impressive to me. I also think FFXV looks more impressive in some aspects, particularly the lighting. It is up there though.

Pooya

I can deal with all of it except eye movement, it's so strange, sometimes just laughable, pulls me out of the game.

You think so? Uncharted 4 looks more impressive to me. I also think FFXV looks more impressive in some aspects, particularly the lighting. It is up there though.

Fair points. Fantastical nature of both versus UC4 being a bit more mundane probably helps hide it. But yes, either way, pretty nice.

I think this is going to be the new Shepard "sexy face" moment, courtesy of the Easy Allies Stream, running on a PS4. I imagine we'll get a lot of screen captures of custom Ryders making this face...

happyfacegxbd2.jpg

When Ryder first sees
Her Ship

Some (hell, a lot) of the art in this game is amazing, it almost feels like Bioware is making their faces bad on purpose now. I just don't understand it.

massoluk

Banned
Since people are talking about differences made a quickGIF comparison. Eye makeup and eyebrows changed, along with removing fisheye distortion to a degree.

meandromedafacecompar1wjut.gif
Something is just lost in translation with Bioware to me. I have always thought Miranda just look really off from Yvonne Strahovski as well.
But I conceded I must be in the minority​opinion.

Zen Aku

I don't understand how the characters can look pretty damn decent to great in Mass Effect 2 and 3. Now we have whatever this is in Andromeda. It's like they forgot how to do faces and facial animation. I hope the gameplay is great cause the cutscenes are going to bug the hell out of me.

The animations aren't the best but calling this a graphical downgrade is hyberbole. Seeing the early previews I am hopeful this is going to be the best reviewed mass effect game.

Um, to review better than Mass Effect 2 it'd have to be the second best reviewed game of this entire generation. I feel pretty safe saying that's not going to happen.

Anywho, yeah the faces are unbelievably ugly in this game. I don't understand how they went from Dragon Age: Inquisition, which had pretty good faces, to this.

Something is just lost in translation with Bioware to me. I have always thought Miranda just look really off from Yvonne Strahovski as well.

No, I didn't even notice it was supposed to be her until someone pointed it out, and I watched Chuck when playing through ME2.

I don't know what it is, but the faces just never seem to be right.

sidegrade

actual game lighting + non bullshot iq + non bullshot DOF

par for the course really

Basically this is how I'm looking at it too.

However, those faces. Man, the Asari looks both goofy and somewhat creepy, and FemRy just looks ridiculous and as though she has an issue with botox or a muscle disease in her cheeks.

Zemm

I'm looking forward to the game and even enjoyed ME3 (crazy I know) so it's not some 'hate' thing like some try to make out, but that female Ryder face looks all kinds of stupid. I dunno how some can't see that there's something wrong with it. Derpy McDerperson.

Coreda

If it's the case that it was an attempt at recreating the motion capture model in-game then they obviously missed the mark. Seems to me there were deliberate changes though.

hodgy100

The waking up sequence looks different, lighting, colours etc. It's interesting considering what Aaryn Flynn said last summer

"But the good news is that everything we showed in that trailer is right from the game so none of that is made by CG or anything like that"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-andromeda-dev-on-studio-tensions-femal/1100-6440814/

i see no contradiction here the trailer can be 100% in engine. only for it to be later changed.

So, game development happened

pretty much

I'm hoping this at least has the usual Bioware character writing to make up for it, but gods damn does so much of the art and animation seem to have actually gotten worse since even the first game.

I mean why in the hell is everyone so fuck ugly? Sure, the generic NPC's always looked pretty rough, but even the main characters and squadmates look like they've been thrashed with the ugly stick. It's like whoever was responsible for DA:I's Sara was the sole artists designing these.

I know between ME2 and this game most of the important staff involved in the earlier games have left the studio, but who the hell have they been hiring as their replacements? This is well below industry standard, but they're not hurting for cash or expertise on handling the engine since they're part of EA, so how does it look this painfully below average visually in so many ways?

Bunga

Far as I'm concerned the game looks gorgeous. Character models have never been Biowares speciality. The models in the original ME trilogy looked horrific at times. I'm not seeing the reason behind all the hate around FemRyder either. I think she looks interesting, animation is dodgy at times yes, but the actual base model I have no problems with. If you don't like it, just create your own, that's the whole point of including a character creator?

I think Scott Ryder looks generic as all hell basically, whereas she does not.

grimmiq

I usually try to go in to most games completely fresh and unspoiled..With how the game looks I'm feeling the need to watch the first couple of hours to get a taste of the writing/voice acting..

Top Bottom