• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive FTC Leak: Mid Gen Xbox Hardware, Series S/X Refreshes, New Controller, and Game Plans!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thank god, the current controllers are loud as hell.
Not even joking, the dpad can be heard two blocks away from here.
Awful. The pad is so noisy. Combine that with the vibrations motors going like a truck engine and it’s pretty annoying.

The PS5 pad feels like it’s from the future by comparison.

I say that as an Xbox only guy.
So that's why I kept hearing my friend's pad clicking like a mofo whenever I played Fortnite with her. I thought she was just being overly aggressive on the controller. :pie_roffles:

Montauk

No gpu upgrade in a 4 years refresh is a freaking suicide in the gaming world, wow Microsoft not good

Pro models are a relatively new concept in console gaming.

Everyone acting like it’s now a requirement because Sony put out a Pro to do 4K and MS essentially put out a new console because of the Xbox One being an underpowered flop - that’s annoying.

This obsession with Pro models and people pretending they are now 100% definitely required as if it’s some decades old rule in console gaming is really annoying.

Last edited:

Montauk

Duudee it just occcured to me from Jeff podcast they will phase out the existing series x for this 'upgrade'. Damn son, dragging us kicking and screaming to an adorably all digital future.

People have got to learn to stop interpreting old documents that have been leaked as if they’re official press releases. Nothing seen here is an announcement by MS, so it all needs to be placed in that context of “this was a possible plan, at one some point”.

You can have no idea what MS’ actual current plans are by looking at old documents. Companies change plans and strategies, sometimes repeatedly.

I’m not at all surprised to hear from Spencer today that these old documents don’t fully reflect MS current plans and that some of their strategy has changed since these were created.

Next time there’s a leak guys, please treat it as what it is: a leak showing a snapshot in time.

Everything in these documents could have been trashed in a change of strategy months or even weeks later.

Last edited:

aclar00

This is a concept in console gaming.

Everyone acting like it’s now a requirement because Sony put a Pro to do 4K and MS essentially put out a new console because of the Xbox One being an underpowered flop - that’s annoying.

This obsession with Pro models and people pretending they are now 100% definitely required as if it’s some decades old rule in console gaming is really annoying.

With you, my launch PS4 thankfully lasted the entire gen. Vant really see myself getting a pro...unless my kid wants a PS5 and i may just get the pro, bit thats even a pretty big if

Crayon

People have got to learn to stop interpreting old documents that have been leaked as if they’re official press releases. Nothing seen here is an announcement by MS, so it all needs to be placed in that context of “this was a possible plan, at one some point”.

You can have no idea what MS’ actual current plans are by looking at old documents. Companies change plans and strategies, sometimes repeatedly.

I’m not at all surprised to hear from Spencer today that these old documents don’t fully reflect MS current plans and that some of their strategy has changed since these were created.

Next time there’s a leak guys, please treat it as what it is: a leak showing a snapshot in time.

Everything in these documents could have been trashed in a change of strategy months or even weeks later.

I understand plans can change. Taking phil's word for is is hilarious given what we know about his trustworthiness, but I digress. The point is that it shows the ethos of the leadership. They seem to think they should be "the game company" for reasons and they just need to get the world to understand that truth. Eliminating competition would be in the best interest of everyone. Help them understand how great xbox is.

Last edited:

killatopak

Pro models are a relatively new concept in console gaming.

Everyone acting like it’s now a requirement because Sony put out a Pro to do 4K and MS essentially put out a new console because of the Xbox One being an underpowered flop - that’s annoying.

It’s a consequence of longer generations.

Montauk

It’s a consequence of longer generations.

Some people started whining about this crap as soon as the new consoles came out.

Some of you won’t be happy until we’ve got like a 2 year refresh cycle going, I swear. Yeah, let’s make consoles like smart phones, that’ll be great.

Jesus Christ is there a way to block every post that talks about Pro consoles? Give me a break.

Last edited:

aclar00

What 50,000 consoles are you talking about? Grasping at straws I see.

Yes i grasped with the figure 😉. I just imagine that electronic devices have some kind of failure rate. I just cant see myself having bought an Xbox Series X, bought 2 dozen disks based games over 4 years and then have little recourse to replace it or to even buy a second one for a kid or another room while the gen is still ongoing.

Then again MSFT may make more money off of repairs?

Who knows? Maybe microsoft agree with sony on cod has to do with refresh gens must be all digital - sometimes most basic is the most successful

Last edited:

pasterpl

It is INSANE how many documents there are leaked. I am browsing and just found this gem.
HEY DONT WORRY GUYS, IF WE TAKE COD AWAY, PS WILL ONLY SELL 3% OF CONSOLES sales lol

Z4xTsyK.png
It is not what this slide says. lol.

pasterpl

HEY DONT WORRY GUYS, IF WE TAKE COD AWAY, PS WILL ONLY SELL 3% OF CONSOLES sales lol
You said above, which is incorrect. And responded with the below:
ps could've forgone at least 3% of it's past console sales
which is correct. They say that making COD exclusive could make 3% of gamers that play or plan to purchase ps5 buy Xbox instead. Nothing on the slide says that;
PS WILL ONLY SELL 3% OF CONSOLES sales

clarky

Gold Member
Awesome, but you know what would be even better? If you actually owned the software licences to those games. If those licences were accessible to you. If you could do whatever you wanted with them i.e. trade, sell and transfer them. I’m sure that would suit you even better.

In an effort to appease, Microsoft could release an external usb c disc drive for the Xbox. That would allow owners of large game collections a means to play their libraries on future digital only Xbox devices.

Hell, Microsoft could offer a new medium. How about a cheap usb c mini drive, small capacity (4 MB), designed to hold an encrypted game licence key, not the entire game install. Replaces current disc based medium. Keeps physical alive and allows for the removal of the traditional disc drive. Problem solved.
Dude i have around 3000 plastic boxes in the loft that i "own" dating back to the 2600. Not touched them in years You know what would be awesome? If i could just play them at whim at the touch of a button.

If someone actually took away the software licence to a game I owned( has this ever happened?) and I was actually arsed id just grab the cracked version.

Dude i have around 3000 plastic boxes in the loft that i "own" dating back to the 2600. Not touched them in years You know what would be awesome? If i could just play them at whim at the touch of a button.

If someone actually took away the software licence to a game I owned( has this ever happened?) and I was actually arsed id just grab the cracked version.

You seem to have completely missed the point. With digital only games you don’t have access to the licence. You can’t trade, sell or gift the licence to another party. You should be able to as you own it. This is anti consumer and deliberate on behalf of the platform holder. You keep obsessing over the convenience of digital and not the basic ownership rights you have sacrificed to have it. What I’m trying to say is that there is no reason we can’t have it both ways.

NickFire

Fair enough. Now can we also agree that if a mega corporation wants to dominate an industry, floats the idea of buying a competing console manufacturer, and then buys Bethesda plus Activision, we shouldn't assume they gave up on the industry domination goal because of a tweet?

EDMIX

Not happy with this, personally. I love most of the new features, but the death of physical for Xbox makes me very sad.

Truth.

I wouldn't be shocked if their efforts to buy those publishers had to do with this push to all digital.

Anyone thinking that this is going to be convenient for customers needs to take a look at them COD prices on Steam lol

They want 1 market.

Don't be shocked if sales boil down to single digit days a year, don't be shocked at Overwatch 2 type shit where they remove 1 game to push the other, but this time with ANY type of game and don't be shocked that they magically remove that return policy.

I don't think people fully get the slippery slope that they are getting into.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Listening now, Rich does mention he thinks the PS5 Pro (if real) will have around 3080 level real world performance

Timestamped

A 3080 level pro gen console wont accomplish much so I hope amd manages to accomplish something better than that 2 generations beyond ampere but knowing amd....sigh.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A 3080 level pro gen console wont accomplish much so I hope amd manages to accomplish something better than that 2 generations beyond ampere but knowing amd....sigh.
Like they talk in the video though if Sony has that type of performance its literally priceless to be able to say without a doubt the best experience of playing 3rd party titles is on the PS5 Pro

SABRE220

Like they talk in the video though if Sony has that type of performance its literally priceless to be able to say without a doubt the best experience of playing 3rd party titles is on the PS5 Pro
Most people have already deduced that the ps5 is an equal to the Series X we are almost 4 years into this gen and honestly overall its the lead platform for multiplatform games. A slight boost in resolution isn't going to be a strong argument to pay 600$ in this economic climate when ps5 is already dominating the console sales and is the defacto choice for most, the series x isn't the other option here really it has to distinguish itself well against the ps5 to target the enthusiast crowd who are all in on rt.

They need at least a 3080ti equivalent so that they can turn on comprehensive rt tech like gi/shadows while aiming for resolutions like 1440p making a clear distinction from the base console as there are diminishing returns to simple boosts in raster compute currently.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Most people have already deduced that the ps5 is an equal to the Series X we are almost 4 years into this gen and honestly overall its the lead platform for multiple games. A slight boost in resolution isn't going to be a strong argument to pay a 100$ to a 150$ premium in this economic climate when ps5 is already dominating the console sales, the series x isnt the other option here really it has to distinguish itself well against the ps5. They need atleast a 3080ti equivalent so that they can turn on comprehensive rt tech like gi/shadows while aiming for resolutions like 1440p making a clear distinction from the base console as there are diminishing returns to simple boosts in raster compute currently.
The consensus is that it will be in the 3080 ballpark with platform holder customizations to exploit the feature-set they want (like better RT) as HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has been saying this entire time from what he's heard.

It will also be well worth it if it's running the base PS5 quality (30fps) modes in 60fps.

Riky

$MSFT
The DF video, I've watched all about the Xbox stuff and they are up and down about the whole thing really.

Not happy about price, they think it should be cheaper.
Not happy about the removal of the optical drive.
Not happy about the move to 6nm, they think Xbox should be more aggressive.

More excited about the controller and it's cloud connection reducing latency.

They have some very interesting thoughts about the Next Box.

They don't see the point of making another machine like Sony, Xbox should lean more heavily into the PC market and they suggest go Nvidia, they also discuss the move to Arm and how BC could still be achievable maybe through the cloud.

To be fair anyone who thinks they are somehow paid by MS will not think so after watching this.

I think it would be a great topic to discuss, should Xbox ditch AMD?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Great looking redesign and more than happy to sacrifice the drive I've never used for double the storage, makes more sense for Gamepass and the 30 million plus customers, always said Starfield would push them over that figure.
These games on top of the announces line up is just incredible, going way past the 360 era now, greatest first party line up in history.
Good to see that we have next gen in the pipeline too, always thought the naysayers were wrong again.
bootlicker-squidward-tentacles.gif

SABRE220

The consensus is that it will be in the 3080 ballpark with platform holder customizations to exploit the feature-set they want (like better RT) as HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has been saying this entire time from what he's heard.

It will also be well worth it if it's running the base PS5 quality (30fps) modes in 60fps.
Even with customizations and improvements aka rdna4/3.5 I would be optimistic in claiming it would equal ampere in rt tech and ml, so if its limited in compute capability to a 3080 and is going to be hard pressed to match it in architecture its going to struggle aiming for higher resolutions/rt settings and 60 fps that level of gpu simply isnt going to achieve all of these things.

Again this is my opinion but I seriously doubt simply maintaining ps5 settings and achieving 60fps is going to be a strong enough sales pitch for a premium console not to mention even consistent 60fps is going to be heavily dependent on a decent cpu upgrade looking at how next gen games are hammering the console cpus. So barring a significant upgrade in cpu tech the only real option to distinguish the console is going to a visual leap which I dont think will be that impressive if aiming for a 3080.

Last edited:
Top Bottom