• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive FTC Leak: Mid Gen Xbox Hardware, Series S/X Refreshes, New Controller, and Game Plans!

Tsaki

From my understanding this doesn't have any spec bump whatsoever, correct?
Yes. It's really weird. It ditches the BluRay and gives more storage but that's a net loss, since you can always add more storage if you really need to; getting a disk drive is not an option though. And Microsoft will stop producing the disk version of the Series X per the same document, so that's the death of physical on Xbox and of course the BC of the titles you have of the OG and 360. And ALL THAT for the same exact price of $499.

aclar00

It may have been said already but wont this screw over disc owners? Maybe the ratio of disc buyers are low but if they want to replace the console theyd end up screwed? Is there a disc drive add-on?

Schmick

Has this been shared here yet? Suggests that not only is PS5 Pro on the way but a SeriesS/X Pro as well.

I've said this before but if there isn't any change to the CPU then what would be the point of the Pro's?

Last edited:

radewagon

It may have been said already but wont this screw over disc owners? Maybe the ratio of disc buyers are low but if they want to replace the console theyd end up screwed? Is there a disc drive add-on?
It's becoming clear the MS Xbox division can be kind of stupid. It's Xbox One all over again. Microsoft is trying to force the market to want what is most profitable for itself (all digital perhaps too soon) instead of forcing themselves to appeal to the market as it is. It seems as though the amazing BC push was a fluke. MS having their flagship model without a disc drive at this point in gaming is profoundly tone deaf. To be clear, much as I hate it, I do think there will be a time for such a machine, but it isn't right now. Especially since they don't have the wealth of exclusives needed to trojan horse this thing into people's homes.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's becoming clear the MS Xbox division can be kind of stupid. It's Xbox One all over again. Microsoft is trying to force the market to want what is most profitable for itself (all digital perhaps too soon) instead of forcing themselves to appeal to the market as it is.

You think? If you were in charge, what percentage of game sales would you want to be digital before you stopped including a disc drive?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Buying Valve would run into the same regulatory hurdles they faced when trying to buy Activision. Possible even greater hurdles.

They'd own the Operating System and the storefront... What's to stop them from saying Steam will now only work on Windows for Gaming, which costs 100 dollars per year?
"Windows Store cannot compete with Epic. We need to buy Steam so we can compete with Epic."

saintjules

Has this been shared here yet? Suggests that not only is PS5 Pro on the way but a SeriesS/X Pro as well.

I've said this before but if there isn't any change to the CPU then what would be the point of the Pro's?

Yeah we have shared this several times on GAF, including myself.

radewagon

You think? If you were in charge, what percentage of game sales would you want to be digital before you stopped including a disc drive?
It's a bit more complicated than that. I think the sales are there right now. Unfortunately, they already started this gen with discs, so to remove them from play opens up a can of worms that would require a very elegant solution to manage. Knowing ms, though, there is no such plan in place. A problem which would be easier to manage if, as I said, they had exclusive content that could sell the system to those that were unsure.

I know it's the future to go all digital, but it needs to be done smartly. Having a bells and whistles SKU that's lacking a whistle that's still available on your competitor's machine is boneheaded.

BlackTron

Gold Member

Since there is no power difference, I can't see anyone who already has a Series X caring about this. Why replace it? For lower power consumption and more storage? For another $500? This seems like a product intended for people who don't already have a system. Not that that makes it any better...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Since there is no power difference, I can't see anyone who already has a Series X caring about this. Why replace it? For lower power consumption and more storage? For another $500? This seems like a product intended for people who don't already have a system. Not that that makes it any better...
The diehards will do it to support the brand but I agree there is no appeal for me to trade in a current Series X for this thing (and this is coming from someone who likes to buy news toys just because)

BlackTron

Gold Member
The diehards will do it to support the brand but I agree there is no appeal for me to trade in a current Series X for this thing (and this is coming from someone who likes to buy news toys just because)

I don't even use Wifi mine is plugged in. It's a giant brick console not a phone. Storage is expandable. The controller looks great but has nothing to do with the system and is coming out first. What's left? Drop $500 to have lower power consumption in exchange for no disc drive? They would be better off just releasing no refresh at all instead of letting this get compared against a potential PS5 Pro. What a bloodbath

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's a bit more complicated than that. I think the sales are there right now. Unfortunately, they already started this gen with discs, so to remove them from play opens up a can of worms that would require a very elegant solution to manage. Knowing ms, though, there is no such plan in place. A problem which would be easier to manage if, as I said, they had exclusive content that could sell the system to those that were unsure.

I know it's the future to go all digital, but it needs to be done smartly. Having a bells and whistles SKU that's lacking a whistle that's still available on your competitor's machine is boneheaded.

I think that Microsoft will have a good amount of data on how their systems are being used (it'll probably be leaked in half an hour), how many disc drives on Series X consoles are unused, etc.
Around here you'll find plenty of people banging the drum for physical discs, but in the real world, I'm just not sure there's much argument that people actually care for physical media. Aside from Vinyl making a comeback in music, AFAIK, physical media is on the decline in every other digital medium.

There is of course the problem of those who have discs already and might want to transition to a new system for some reason, and that is definitely an issue, but I guess there's also the chance that they, as Sony are mooted to be doing, are considering releasing an external disc drive. I think it's unlikely to be something that many people want, but it's a decent PR move. I'd expect them to be produced in very limited quantities or discounted heavily in a few year's time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think that Microsoft will have a good amount of data on how their systems are being used (it'll probably be leaked in half an hour), how many disc drives on Series X consoles are unused, etc.
Around here you'll find plenty of people banging the drum for physical discs, but in the real world, I'm just not sure there's much argument that people actually care for physical media. Aside from Vinyl making a comeback in music, AFAIK, physical media is on the decline in every other digital medium.

There is of course the problem of those who have discs already and might want to transition to a new system for some reason, and that is definitely an issue, but I guess there's also the chance that they, as Sony are mooted to be doing, are considering releasing an external disc drive. I think it's unlikely to be something that many people want, but it's a decent PR move. I'd expect them to be produced in very limited quantities or discounted heavily in a few year's time.
It would probably shock people how much Xbox (I would assume Sony as well) knows about how and when we play.

Even from his home Ybarra knew when people logged into their Xbox even if it was appear offline mode

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It would probably shock people how much Xbox (I would assume Sony as well) knows about how and when we play.

Even from his home Ybarra knew when people logged into their Xbox even if it was appear offline mode

I am sure they can tell not only very obvious things like when you turn a machine on and off, which game you're playing, how long you play it, but also when you're in the store, how long you spend looking at things, when you're scrolling which tiles you slow down on, which ones you skip past, how many times people look at a game before buying it, all kinds of minute detail relating to every possible use of the console.

Everything that can be logged, I wouldn't automatically dismiss the idea that it isn't being logged, basically!

And every app on your phone? Assume the same.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

Isn’t this 2TB Series X the same spec wise as the current one? If so, why would a disc owner upgrade or buy this new one? The only benefit is more SSD space and you can just buy an SSD expansion for less than a new console. Maybe I’m mistaken but this isn’t a “pro” type console.

twilo99

[/QUOTE]
I'd really like to see the internals of that all digital Series X. It's of course possible it's just the external case that's cylinder shaped.

You think there might be some rounded stuff in there? I doubt it.. maybe part of the heat sink? it depends on how big it is I guess, but the packaging job on the current X is top notch so hopefully they keep that up.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How's physical media on PC?
The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

You can back up your games to disc format on both Steam and GoG. GoG being the gold standard with no DRM and installer downloads for disc backup.

aclar00

I meant it as a replace
I meant as a replacement if your current system fails and you're out of the warranty period.

Yup it's the internet connection so even if you appear offline it doesn't matter that's one of the reasons for the always online strategy on Xbox one they've been building towards tracking engagement for years

aclar00

Isn’t this 2TB Series X the same spec wise as the current one? If so, why would a disc owner upgrade or buy this new one? The only benefit is more SSD space and you can just buy an SSD expansion for less than a new console. Maybe I’m mistaken but this isn’t a “pro” type console.
Just responded to someone else with same response, but i meant it in case your system fails and you have no other option. Assuming the OG disc model is no longer made. How are you going to play your disc based games?

Bry0

The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

You can back up your games to disc format on both Steam and GoG. GoG being the gold standard with no DRM and installer downloads for disc backup.
Additionally, half life 2 is still on my account for nearly 20 years and works great. All those ps3 and 360 games bought digitally? Aside from a few made BC they all went I to the void without original hardware. Consoles simply provide a worse experience in this regards because you are at the mercy of the platform holder who is also the hardware manufacturer. You only get what they give you.

Consoles have to provide that type of reliability in accessing and playing your purchases to be comparable. They simply aren’t there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Additionally, half life 2 is still on my account for nearly 20 years and works great. All those ps3 and 360 games bought digitally? Aside from a few made BC they all went I to the void without original hardware. Consoles simply provide a worse experience in this regards because you are at the mercy of the platform holder who is also the hardware manufacturer. You only get what they give you.

Consoles have to provide that type of reliability in accessing and playing your purchases to be comparable. They simply aren’t there.
That is why Sony games coming to the PC is the best thing for preservation going forward. I also do believe that going forward there will be BC on their platforms as well.

Tsaki

Just so I'm clear here.... there will be FOUR Xbox Series consoles on store shelves for consumers to decide on?
Both the original S and X will be discontinued. Probably the S with 1TB as well.
From 2025 onward physical media will be dead on Xbox and all the Backwards Compatibility associated with it. Assuming by next year the leaks stay true of course.

Edit: Actually maybe not. There was not word of an Xbox branded external disk drive but MS could just say fuck it and do a firmware update that let's any 3rd party Bluray drive be compatible with the console.
OEE3nN8.jpg

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I do not believe so. The New Series S and Series X refresh models are replacing the old Series S and X and prices are staying same $299 amd $499.
And based on the leaks no Series console will have a disc drive.

It's a bold move if it stays that way.

Last edited:

Fake

Honestly, this whole debacle with emails is baffling to me. I thought that multi billion businesses were managed by professionals, analysts, and teams that actually review and process information and take decisions based on carefully reviewed data and come up with strategic plans based on past failure and success. But all you have is a bunch of higher rep going "Duuude, we have so much more power and stuff, we gonna kick their ass, lol"

Holy shit.

Game journalistics like to bully gamers as the worst, but in the end those guys are pretty much the same.

The Verge dude is having a hard time blocking everyone on Twitter because of those leaks.

In the end of day, we are all human. Everyone trying to picture someone as 'bad for the society' is trying to evade being one of them.

Look at those email and the behave of some journalist. Pretty much the behavior of the 'gamergate' as they everytime something go wrong they try to picture and blame gamers when they do something wrong. This week we got the Unity fee controverse and they tried to picture the gamers as the vilan for the death threats, but wasn't that at all. Was more than this and pretty much an excuse to evade the feel outrage.

Last edited:

splattered

I'm definitely interested in the controllers... if i didnt already have my series X consoles i would be perfectly fine with digital editions. I haven't bought an Xbox disc in years now. Between XB-SX generations i have over 500 games and they're largely digital at this point.

PS4/PS5 however i am still 90% physical disc and still have hundreds of games. (Don't remember how many?)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not really, it makes sense business wise and tech wise. Digital is the future whether people like it or not.
So the company that put so much work into disc based BC, all the way back to the og Xbox...its not a bold move to just say bye bye to a disc drive halfway thru this gen?

When they started their BC initiative last gen?

Okay.

rofif

Banned
It is INSANE how many documents there are leaked. I am browsing and just found this gem.
HEY DONT WORRY GUYS, IF WE TAKE COD AWAY, PS WILL ONLY SELL 3% OF CONSOLES sales lol

Z4xTsyK.png

phant0m

lol. i do love when people say this, "i'm gonna switch to the platform that hasn't had physical media in a decade!"

but i believe the point is that your library is accessible/installable on any PC for the foreseeable future (even if it requires 'hacks'/fixes to run on future OS's).

i can download and play the very first game i ever bought on steam, whereas i have no ability to download games from PSN/XBL (even on their modern console) except on their original platform or those they have specifically supported through BC.

rofif

Banned
Cmon man...
On pc you have access to files, many many many key stores and resellers, you can backup and crack your games and do whatever you want with them.
None of that is on consoles. You are at a mercy of console store owner. No price competition and no control over your game.
You can still get banned or hacked and loose all your shit on pc and consoles both but pc digital GOT WAY LESS problems than consoles.

Last edited:

Montauk

I love that internally MS agree that the Series controller is an obnoxiously clicky noisy failure with absolutely laughably crude and basic haptic feedback compared to the PS5 controller.

The new Xbox pad is such a disappointment compared to that. Sony really stomped them, there.

I can’t believe how noisy the fucker is; how did that get past testing? Both the buttons and the vibrations.

Montauk

Thank god, the current controllers are loud as hell.
Not even joking, the dpad can be heard two blocks away from here.

Awful. The pad is so noisy. Combine that with the vibrations motors going like a truck engine and it’s pretty annoying.

The PS5 pad feels like it’s from the future by comparison.

I say that as an Xbox only guy.

Top Bottom