• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masuda announcing something on Pokemon Smash next Sunday

BurntPork

Banned
KevinCow said:
Make Grey 3DS enhanced. Playable on DS, but if you play on 3DS you get to use the bigger top screen and 3D effect, and maybe even open up a new area or something.
I don't think that's possible.

18-Volt

Pretty sure it won't be a cheap thing like new TCG set or new film. Probably an game that nobody will care about, just like Pokémon Type, PokéPark or Rumble Blast. Their milking process is well under way and it can't be stopped.

But since Masuda himself is announcing this thing, it might not be that way. If Masuda announces, it means he's in the charge of this game, and whatever he is making it's gotta be mainline game. I can't imagine him talking about some shitty spinoff made by useless Genius Sonority or Creatures (They are the most useless two studios Nintendo has and they need to be shut down).

Refugio

18-Volt said:
Pretty sure it won't be a cheap thing like new TCG set or new film. Probably an game that nobody will care about, just like Pokémon Type, PokéPark or Rumble Blast. Their milking process is well under way and it can't be stopped.

But since Masuda himself is announcing this thing, it might not be that way. If Masuda announces, it means he's in the charge of this game, and whatever he is making it's gotta be mainline game. I can't imagine him talking about some shitty spinoff made by useless Genius Sonority or Creatures (They are the most useless two studios Nintendo has and they need to be shut down).

Well I thought the ranger games were fun so I'm glad nintendo doesn't think they're useless enough to shut down or whatever!

I'm gonna say ... Pokedex 3DS expanded to have another gen of Pokemon.

That seems like a safe bet ... doesn't seem like the right time for a Main Line game seeing as they talked about having treats that were as good as earlier this year.

pramath

Banned
KevinCow said:
I don't see why not. They've done it before with GB games on the GBC and GBC games on the GBA.
Because when a DS/DSi cart is being run on a 3DS, all 3DS specific features shut down, and the 3DS acts as, for all purposes, a DSi. It is absolutely impossible to have a 3DS 'enhanced' game.

pramath said:
Because when a DS/DSi cart is being run on a 3DS, all 3DS specific features shut down, and the 3DS acts as, for all purposes, a DSi. It is absolutely impossible to have a 3DS 'enhanced' game.
Yup, was just about to say this.

The ONLY way they can do a DS/3DS game is to make 2 different versions of it.
DS needs to be let go ... let them move on to the 3D models of the 3DS.

Wiseblade

Ragus said:
What about Pokemon Pinball Black/White?

R/S one was pretty sweet.
I doubt it. They were done by Jupiter, the same studio behind Spectrobes. Masuda has no reason to announce a project of theirs.

Also, why would Nintendo develop a MMO to compete with DQX? they'd be deliberately putting two of Japan's biggest franchises to their deaths.

KevinCow

Banned
pramath said:

The way they did it with some of the GB/GBC and GBC/GBA examples is they basically just had two versions of the game on the cartridge, one for each system. The system would recognize and play the proper version.

Same thing. Have both a DS and 3DS version of the game on the card. When you play on a DS, it sees it as a DS game. When you play on a 3DS, it sees it as a 3DS game.

Black-Wind said:
Yup, was just about to say this.

The ONLY way they can do a DS/3DS game is to make 2 different versions of it.
DS needs to be let go ... let them move on to the 3D models of the 3DS.

Fuck that. Hi-res sprites, please.

pramath

Banned
KevinCow said:
The way they did it with some of the GB/GBC and GBC/GBA examples is they basically just had two versions of the game on the cartridge, one for each system. The system would recognize and play the proper version.

Same thing. Have both a DS and 3DS version of the game on the card. When you play on a DS, it sees it as a DS game. When you play on a 3DS, it sees it as a 3DS game.
DS carts lack the 'notch' that activates 3DS mode every time a cartridge is inserted in the slot. A cartridge that can be inserted into the DS, therefore, by nature would be impossible to be 3DS enhanced.

Electivirus said:
Fuck that, animated 3D Models please.
Time to get REAL people ... it took 15 years for us to just get Idle Animation out of these low-res sprites but now that they have done the 3DS Pokedex they have shown just a sample of how good they can make them in 3D if they try.

IDK about you but I would prefer to have animation over a slightly animated sprite.

pramath said:
DS carts lack the 'notch' that activates 3DS mode every time a cartridge is inserted in the slot. A cartridge that can be inserted into the DS, therefore, by nature would be impossible to be 3DS enhanced.
Again, this.

A game that takes advantage of the 3DS features can't be played on the DS because it would BE a 3DS game.

Think ... Wii and GC.
You can make a Wii game or a GC game and play it on the Wii but you can't make a GC game that features Wii features. Like with TP ... the made a Wii version because there's no way to make Wiimote controls on the GC version.

Kyzer

Banned
Electivirus said:

As good as that would look, I love the way it looks in Pokedex 3D. with the 3DS lighting. The sunset backdrop looks gorgeous.

From there, if they could get animations right, and add more and more functionality to said animations, we'd finally be a step closer to a living-breathing Pokemon world in 3D as opposed to more sprites and everything left up to the imagination. Playing Pokemon looks old. Even B/W. I wanna SEE the battle take place, represented through real graphics, instead of having to try to imagine a battle in my head every time I play. The transition from overworld to battle is also way too different.

Edit: Conversely, I also wouldn't be surprised to see an improved version of B/W with overworld sprites again like HGSS and in 3D on 3DS as "Gray Version". I hope not though. They might as well launch the new engine. But who knows.

Big One

Banned
I think 3D models would only be acceptable if they're cel-shaded to look more like the Sugimori art. The wonderful thing about sprites is how close they are to the Sugimori art, so I hope Gamefreak keeps that feel when transitioning to 3D.

FoneBone

KevinCow said:

There were some gbc games that could detect the gba hardware, but they didn't have separate gba code.

Masked Man

I said wow
Delio said:
I'm sorry ;_; If it's any worth i do think that gen had the best assortment of starters.

Gasp! Gen III was easily the worst batch of starters. All the others are pretty wonderful--decent at the very least--but Treecko was the only one that I didn't think was completely ugly/awful.

Kyzer

Banned
Here are all the possibilities I can think of: * | **

*(New mainline games like Gray, R/S remakes, Gen 6, or what have you, are unlikely because usually the announcement would be something along the lines of "New Pokemon Game to be announced !" (but if it is, omg))
**(most-shocking to least/least likely to most)

Game Freak Related (Has Precedence for Masuda's appearance)
-Gen 6
-New Pokemon Game Entirely
-Pokemon Stadium Black/White for 3DS developed by Game Freak
-Pokemon RubyRed/SapphireBlue (upgraded remakes with new 3D engine)
-Pokemon Grey/Gray (upgraded 3rd version with new 3D engine)
-Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remake using B/W engine but with 3D for 3DS
-Pokemon Grey/Gray third version but with 3D for 3DS
-Pokemon Red/Blue for eShop (or FireRed/LeafGreen etc.) -_-

Non-GF Related (Nintendo is really trying hard here)
-New Spinoff
-Pokemon Snap 2
-Pokemon TCG 3D
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
- Pokemon Ranger
- Keldeo / Movie

If all we're getting is a Pokemon Ranger game I will cry...

pramath said:
What? Youre joking, right? The notch on a 3DS cart is just to prevent it from fitting in a DS.

qq more

Kyzer said:
Here are all the possibilities I can think of: * | **

*(New mainline games like Gray, R/S remakes, Gen 6, or what have you, are unlikely because usually the announcement would be something along the lines of "New Pokemon Game to be announced !" (but if it is, omg))
**(most-shocking to least/least likely to most)

Game Freak Related (Has Precedence for Masuda's appearance)
-Gen 6
-New Pokemon Game Entirely
-Pokemon Stadium Black/White for 3DS developed by Game Freak
-Pokemon RubyRed/SapphireBlue (upgraded remakes with new 3D engine)
-Pokemon Grey/Gray (upgraded 3rd version with new 3D engine)
-Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remake using B/W engine but with 3D for 3DS
-Pokemon Grey/Gray third version but with 3D for 3DS
-Pokemon Red/Blue for eShop (or FireRed/LeafGreen etc.) -_-

Non-GF Related (Nintendo is really trying hard here)
-New Spinoff
-Pokemon Snap 2
-Pokemon TCG 3D
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
- Pokemon Ranger
- Keldeo / Movie
Gen 6 isn't going to happen this soon.

But omfg Pokemon Snap 2 would rock. Seriously.

BurntPork

Banned
Black-Wind said:
Fuck that, animated 3D Models please.
Time to get REAL people ... it took 15 years for us to just get Idle Animation out of these low-res sprites but now that they have done the 3DS Pokedex they have shown just a sample of how good they can make them in 3D if they try.

IDK about you but I would prefer to have animation over a slightly animated sprite.
I'm iffy on it since Game Freak has never made a 3D game before and 3D doesn't really do anything for a series like this. I'm fine with just having high-res sprites with a lot of animation frames.

And I'm talking polygonal, not stereoscopic.

BurntPork

Banned
KevinCow said:

DS and 3DS games are totally different inside of the cartridge, whereas GB and GBC were basically the same. In addition, GBC, GBA, and DS use hardware for backwards compatibility, while 3DS uses emulation. There are key differences here, and it's just not possible. There would have to be separate games. There's just no way around it.

Kyzer

Banned
800px-JunichiMasudaJI2.jpg

ntropy said:
my guess is Pokemon X something. crossovers are in vogue.

Pokemon X Pulseman?

My biggest wish is for Stadium 3 on Wii U, no more Gensius Sonority garbage unless they (GS) do their own thing and not copy another's formula.

Like I wouldn't want to see Chunsoft make a Snap 2, for instance.

It's been like this:

GS: Console RPGs that use the Stadium engine, story is much different than the main games, the first even had you playing as an ex-villian.

Chunsoft: MD roguelike games.

HAL: Snap.

Jupiter: Pinball and Mini handheld games.

Hudson: TCG on Gameboy, Creatures is the real caretaker of the TCG and did the DS training game IIRC.

Creatures: Ranger (1st co-done by HAL, sequels were solo), Pokepark Wii.

EAD: Stadium series.

NST: Puzzle League. The classic PL games were by Intelligent Systems, and IIRC, the GC Panel de Pon game that was released in the Nintendo Puzzle Collection along with the JP release of Dr. Mario 64 and a remake of Yoshi's Cookie, was actually a proper GC game that was converted from Pokemon Puzzle League that was meant for the N64, but was finally released on GC.

So get EAD off their asses onto Stadium 3 for Wii U for fuck sake. and get Hajime Wakai on the soundtrack STAT!

watershed

Banned
I'm hoping for pokemon snap 2, it would work great with the gyro and they could even mix in some augmented reality minigames. I'd be there day 1, I was really impressed with the original on the N64.

Kyzer

Banned
"Pokémon Smash's episode just aired in Japan and mentioned that Mewtwo is to be given away through an event soon with details to be revealed next week. The preview showcased Masuda coming in and showing a sign, blanked out, with a caption saying that there's a revelation of the Present."

--Serebii

Kyzer said:
"Pokémon Smash's episode just aired in Japan and mentioned that Mewtwo is to be given away through an event soon with details to be revealed next week. The preview showcased Masuda coming in and showing a sign, blanked out, with a caption saying that there's a revelation of the Present."

--Serebii

Must be Keldeo.

Gravijah

Masked Man said:
Gasp! Gen III was easily the worst batch of starters. All the others are pretty wonderful--decent at the very least--but Treecko was the only one that I didn't think was completely ugly/awful.

Crazy. Swampert is one of the best starters ever.

BurntPork

Banned
Kyzer said:

--Serebii
This is big. It might be a main game after all. (Gray or RS remakes, NOT gen 6)

The new edit is a bit confusing. So, they'll be having a Mewtwo giveaway event and they'll give the details next week and they show Masuda holding up a square with a question mark. Surely the question mark isn't for Mewtwo since we all know what Mewtwo looks like.

survivor

Banned
Kyzer said:

--Serebii
So can we go crazy now?

I really hope CoroCoro leaks come out soon if they will have anything important.

Kyzer

Banned
I mean. Its a two-sided blade. On one hand theres no reason to see a question mark unless its a Shiny Mewtwo or Keldeo and some new art or something but.

On the other hand, if all it involves is giving away Mewtwo to existing games for an event, it cant be that big.

ivysaur12

Banned
BurntPork said:
I'm iffy on it since Game Freak has never made a 3D game before and 3D doesn't really do anything for a series like this. I'm fine with just having high-res sprites with a lot of animation frames.

And I'm talking polygonal, not stereoscopic.

They should make Grey for the 3DS and practice with some 3D assets.

Karsticles said:
Am I the only one that, when reading "Pokemon Smash", I thought a Smash Bros title featuring the entire Pokemon catalogue?

I'd kill for that. How'd it work though? Unless obviously not all Pokemon would make it, like Wailord. :l

survivor

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
I'd kill for that. How'd it work though? Unless obviously not all Pokemon would make it, like Wailord. :l
They would probably just make it gen 5 and only use fully evolved forms.

Dreavus

Karsticles said:
Am I the only one that, when reading "Pokemon Smash", I thought a Smash Bros title featuring the entire Pokemon catalogue?

My first thought too. My mind reeled. Then I read the thread! D:

D-Pad

Karsticles said:

649 playable Pokemon fighters, only 10 unique move sets.

Anyone think it may be the companion game for Wii so you can fight your BW Pokémon in 3D? I mean they already have the models in the Pokédex 3D app, so I don't see why this couldn't be possible?

Top Bottom