• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix Resurrections – Full trailer Thursday at 6AM PT

ZywyPL

Banned
Or they just made this movie as a cash-grab mimicking the original rather than writing something that can stand on it's own legs.. really worried they are doubling-down on the rememberries on this one by showing just as much footage of the original than the new film, and at worst are going to try to recon it.

I know, the second part of the trailer where they showed the new footage was meh, but that inktial sequence is simply flawless (especially Morpheus' jump).

Kenpachii

I hope they go a bit in on the aliens that sit on the earth and what they are doing. Unless they already explained it but i can't remember it.

Yoboman

There weren't any aliens in the original Matrix trilogy.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So basically spoilers:

The movie is a remake of the first Matrix using slightly different characters because it knows Neo exposed the continuing loop
of a savior/defeat and start again timeline. What the computer doesn't realize this time is that Neo is now "above" the computer "gods" and
is tricking them into exposing themselves so he can defeat them once and for all. Neo is basically using the Matrix's "power" against itself(ala nice nod to
Wargames included) and is able to bring the entire system offline while letting humanity know of the horrors they were seemingly trapped in."

Last edited:

ManaByte

So basically spoilers:

The movie is a remake of the first Matrix using slightly different characters because it knows Neo exposed the continuing loop
of a savior/defeat and start again timeline. What the computer doesn't realize this time is that Neo is now "above" the computer "gods" and
is tricking them into exposing themselves so he can defeat them once and for all. Neo is basically using the Matrix's "power" against itself(ala nice nod to
Wargames included) and is able to bring the entire system offline while letting humanity know of the horrors they were seemingly trapped in."
Not really.

Ulysses 31

Yeah but Skynet was bent on eradicating humanity, the machines at least proposed a solution without genocide
Don't you mean imposed? It's doubtful so many people would willingly plug into the Matrix if the Machines left them alone otherwise.

Doczu

Don't you mean imposed? It's doubtful so many people would willingly plug into the Matrix if the Machines left them alone otherwise.
Probably. English is not my native language 🤷🏻‍♂️
Either way, the machines have a conscience and couldn't pull the trigger

FunkMiller

So basically spoilers:

Nope.

chromhound

So basically spoilers:

that made no sense lol

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So basically spoilers:

Is that your theory or is it the supposed plot?

My theory still stands. Trinity is the One and has always been the true One. Neo was a fake, which is why the war is still ongoing and the Matrix still exists. The true One would end the war, not arrange a peace deal.

I do have some serious questions. Starting with, how and why is Trinity held by the machines in the Matrix? How is Morpheus now a younger dude played by a different actor?

Tschumi

Jesus, got a tear in my eye and i dunno if it's from how many things they get right in this trailer or if i just didn't blink for the whole thing with the heater on

Tschumi

Is that your theory or is it the supposed plot?

My theory still stands. Trinity is the One and has always been the true One. Neo was a fake, which is why the war is still ongoing and the Matrix still exists. The true One would end the war, not arrange a peace deal.

I do have some serious questions. Starting with, how and why is Trinity held by the machines in the Matrix? How is Morpheus now a younger dude played by a different actor?
i only watched the ad once but it seems as though it could possibly just be a sneaky, rebooted matrix perpetrated by the machines whilst neo was (as yet unexplained) distracted and he's been jacked back in with his memory wiped, but the truth bleeds through and it's all sorta happening again but things are different - just like they were in the og matrix movie - and he's gonna awaken in stages until he turns out to be far more badass than anyone else

i just keep in mind that this whole series is an alegory for the transexual experience, apparently, so whatever happens will probably be a bit of a metaphor for the way society's stance towards transexual rights has evolved in the last 5 or so years... just a guess

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
i just keep in mind that this whole series is an alegory for the transexual experience, apparently, so whatever happens will probably be a bit of a metaphor for the way society's stance towards transexual rights has evolved in the last 5 or so years... just a guess

Forgot about that.

In which case, we'd need to speculate on a plot that would also take that into account. I think they could still work that into Trinity being the One.

Tschumi

Forgot about that.

In which case, we'd need to speculate on a plot that would also take that into account. I think they could still work that into Trinity being the One.
i wouldn't be averse to her being the one, sure.

Just a moment... I guess transsexual idenities have become much more mainstream, but there has been a really strong backlash against this coming from certain quarters... so i guess the new matrix films will probably deal with, maybe, the sense of confusion that transsexual individuals may face in a world that both recognizes them and, in loud minority - savages them... I guess there'll be many more agent smiths, or much more mixed signals... fuck i dunno :p love it though, that trailer's insane

Doczu

Not calling this movie Matrix Rebooted was such a wasted opportunity.
If it ends being a reboot of the franchise it will hurt double.
Or they are going to play and say that technically it's not a reboot
James Franco GIF

ManaByte

i only watched the ad once but it seems as though it could possibly just be a sneaky, rebooted matrix perpetrated by the machines whilst neo was (as yet unexplained) distracted and he's been jacked back in with his memory wiped, but the truth bleeds through and it's all sorta happening again but things are different - just like they were in the og matrix movie - and he's gonna awaken in stages until he turns out to be far more badass than anyone else

That's not it at all.

Real spoilers:
The scenes from the original movies that are seen in the trailer are from a trilogy of video games that Thomas Anderson made for WB. They're years old and now WB wants him to make a fourth game. That new Smith in the first trailer saying how he's "going back to the Matrix" is when they're asking him for a fourth game.

Basically at the end of Revolutions, the machines put Neo and Trinity into a pocket Matrix and kept them alive to provide energy for the machines. The movie is them finding out who they really are. It's a loose meta remake of the first movie similar to Wes Craven's New Nightmare with how it references the original movie as if it were a video game that Thomas Anderson made at his company Deus Machina (which you can see in the first trailer).

Some people are going to HATE it. Those who liked Sense 9 and Cloud Atlas will probably think it's some kind of meta masterpiece.

But will the suck be self contained or will it contaminate the first movie also? :lollipop_grinning:
Matrix was a product of its time. It's pretty much a given that they will retcon the first movie to the point of completely butchering its central premise in order to cater to "modern audiences".
Original fans will have no choice but to pretend this reboot/remake doesn't exist only to be labeled as bigoted outrage mongers.

I know hope dies last, but we've been there before countless times. I don't know what makes people think this will be any different?

ManaByte

Matrix was a product of its time. It's pretty much a given that they will retcon the first movie to the point of completely butchering its central premise in order to cater to "modern audiences".
Original fans will have no choice but to pretend this reboot/remake doesn't exist only to be labeled as bigoted outrage mongers.

I know hope dies last, but we've been there before countless times. I don't know what makes people think this will be any different?

It's not a reboot/remake.

The first hour or so is extremely extremely meta in a Wes Craven's New Nightmare way where the first movie is almost redone, but that's just done to help Neo and Trinity remember who they are.

Beyond that it's a direct sequel to Matrix Revolutions.

ManaByte

For those wondering:
It's set decades after Revolutions.

Neo and Trinity have been kept alive in a pocket Matrix by Neil Patrick Harris' character who's the main villain in this one.

The "Young Morpheus" isn't really Morpheus but like Morpheus 2.0 and is a program Neo created who becomes sentient.

No Zion, it was destroyed after in-fighting when Morpheus died. Niobi is really the only hero character other than Neo and Trinity from the first trilogy who shows up. She's much older and has a new city where humans and machines live together in peace.

Jessica Henwick's character is sort of the main POV character in the movie and she and her team go into this pocket Matrix to try to find and get Neo and Trinity out while the machines try to stop them.

In the end Neo and Trinity remember who they are and the audiences went insane when that happened.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

For those wondering:

Neo and Trinity have been kept alive in a pocket Matrix by Neil Patrick Harris' character who's the main villain in this one.

The "Young Morpheus" isn't really Morpheus but like Morpheus 2.0 and is a program Neo created who becomes sentient.

No Zion, it was destroyed after in-fighting when Morpheus died. Niobi is really the only hero character other than Neo and Trinity from the first trilogy who shows up. She's much older and has a new city where humans and machines live together in peace.

Jessica Henwick's character is sort of the main POV character in the movie and she and her team go into this pocket Matrix to try to find and get Neo and Trinity out while the machines try to stop them.

In the end Neo and Trinity remember who they are and the audiences went insane when that happened.

Did you catch a screening of it?

Ulysses 31

For those wondering:

Curious to see how they'll explain bringing Trinity back from the dead.

It's not a reboot/remake.

The trailers alone are stitched together with so many references to the first movie it's already impossible for the new movie to stand on its own.
Don't bullcrap us with this "meta" buzzwording please, it's nothing else but "The Force Awakens" self-referencing syndrome. The movie might be sold as a sequel but the story is nothing more than a retelling of the original.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

The machines took her and Neo's bodies and jacked them into a pocket Matrix and used them as batteries.
Don't you have to be alive first to serve as battery power?

Just look at these injuries and how much time passes before Neo concludes his business with Smith. It strains suspension of disbelief to assume she survives the 3rd movie.
Capture.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

:pie_thinking:

Look I've watched the trailers, if you look past the action, the one-liners, the memberberries... there's really nothing that exudes any sort of confidence.

Most of the trailers are from the beginning of the movie.

Where the events of the first three movies are actually video games that Thomas Anderson made in the pocket Matrix. The machine's way of controlling him and preventing the One from breaking free again by telling him they aren't memories but just from his video games.

There's not much in the trailer from later in the movie except:
There's a shot from the end where it's Neo and the people breaking him out vs everyone in the pocket Matrix who are set to "swarm" mode like zombies as the machines are trying to stop them from leaving.

Top Bottom