• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 PC Features Detailed.

Can somebody please remind me how to slow down the automatic bullet time that kicks in when you shoot the last guy in an area? Nothing I'm trying is working at the moment.

solarus

Just came in to say the games runs bloody amazing for a R* port. Even on my ancient machine it runs like a dream on the highest settings although I turned tessellation down to medium!

I did not expect it to run this well at all and was more than ready to upgrade my machine.

My pathetic specs:
Q9400 @ 2.66ghz
GTX 560 ti
6GB RAM
Ok, i'm sorry but you are INSANE if you think that is pathetic. Dear God.

Just came in to say the games runs bloody amazing for a R* port. Even on my ancient machine it runs like a dream on the highest settings although I turned tessellation down to medium!

I did not expect it to run this well at all and was more than ready to upgrade my machine.

My pathetic specs:
Q9400 @ 2.66ghz
GTX 560 ti
6GB RAM

Only thing ancient on your rig is your CPU. This is a highly optimized game.

Muskweeto

I would say almost more than likely. This game seems to be extremely optimized and with those specs there's no reason to think you can't Mac it MSAA aside. My GTX 680 can't Max with full MSAA at 60fps. That aside you should have no issues.

Sounds good enough for me, I have this game for PS3 and really love it, I don't mind double dipping for this game at all, especially with visuals like this and mouse & keyboard.

Salsa

Its a really good port, miles beyond what Rockstar previously put out. But at least in my experience I wouldnt call it OMG FANTASTIC PORT. It has some issues like MSAA not blending well with FXAA (seems to downright replace it), no real proper AA (wich makes it look full of jaggies on a lower res), sluggish mouse.. etc. Not to mention the particular issues im having wich I omit cause it might still be something wrong on my side (boils down to game being way choppier when turning around using a mouse to free look instead of a gamepad.. wtf). The big standout here is the fantastic tesselation.

Even lowering to dx10.1 and trying all the settings I still get a bit of stuttering and lower fps (rangin from 50 to 60) in many areas, dont think it should happen.

I do expect patches and whatnot though since they are clearly doing a push for the PC side of things. That and a solid launch for GTAV.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Again, would love to know if someone figured out how to remove the vram limit. Tried the gta 4 launch command lines but they don't seem to work.

I understand the limit is there for a reason I have no plans going 1gb over the limit but I my options are

a) high shadows vram usage ~1850/2100
b) very high shadows vram usage 2150/2100

and it's really bugging me.

Manager

My pathetic specs:
Q9400 @ 2.66ghz
GTX 560 ti
6GB RAM

You should OC your CPU, it's perfect for it. I got mine to 3.2ghz without hassle, my first OC ever too so it's easy to get there for anyone.

CoolS

Great, so far this worked flawlessly, but now I am on chapter VI and during the cutscene the image just freezes and only the Audio continues. I let the cutscene finish but the game sstays unresponsive and I have to use the task manager to kill the programm. ANd so the trying what to to begins.

abracadaver

Great, so far this worked flawlessly, but now I am on chapter VI and during the cutscene the image just freezes and only the Audio continues. I let the cutscene finish but the game sstays unresponsive and I have to use the task manager to kill the programm. ANd so the trying what to to begins.

Same thing happened to me !
Is it the cutscene where
Max and his friend go to their boss after they couldnt save his daughter in the boat chase
?

I restarted the game and then it worked.

Hold down right mouse.

Thanks, figured out what I was doing wrong, holding down right mouse before I made the shot. You got to actually let it go and then press it again. Would have preferred it to be another button.

Also, why put collectibles in the game and then time you out if you decide to go look for them? I don't like it when games punish you for not speeding ahead to every new area - though it does make sense in terms of the story. Still, I'd prefer not to be rushed to every new checkpoint. I like it games give you quiet moments to check stuff out or maybe talk to people inbetween the action. This game seems to do all of that during cutscenes.

Other than those two issues, I'm enjoying it so far. Graphics are nice, but still very much in that GTA style. Characters still move pretty much the same, environments still feel the same as they did in GTA 4 for me. Only the textures are better.

Story is great, has that cinematic feel they do so well. Only Rockstar can pull off subtle little character moments in games like this. Writing is top notch. In the opening chapter when you get up out of the water and your partner asks you if you need a hand? Max gets up soaked and says 'No, do you?'. That's great - pretty weak comeback that doesn't really even make sense, but then Max isn't exactly at the top his game mentally or physically. In over his head, feeling the stress and the pressure. Good stuff.

I would have preferred if this game was set in America, have to say. Like NY, for a more hard-boiled Noir feel. I'm just not that interested in this setting, but maybe the game can still convince me of that. I'm only a couple of chapters in.

How is the video quality in this? The console versions apparently have videos indistinguishable from rendered scenes, is that still the case for the PC version?

Riggs

Banned
Right after bald part, freezing on cut scene where max walks into a building (don't want to spoil what building, but it's where you obviously get out from the outside)

Any ideas? No problems until now ...

How is the video quality in this? The console versions apparently have videos indistinguishable from rendered scenes, is that still the case for the PC version?

It's noticeable on the PC version, when the in-game cutscene kicks in everything runs at a smooth 60FPS or near it (on my rig), plus it seems to look a tad different. The video is still better than the muddy, low-res stuff we get in most games.

MMaRsu

Banned
Thanks, figured out what I was doing wrong, holding down right mouse before I made the shot. You got to actually let it go and then press it again. Would have preferred it to be another button.

Also, why put collectibles in the game and then time you out if you decide to go look for them? I don't like it when games punish you for not speeding ahead to every new area - though it does make sense in terms of the story. Still, I'd prefer not to be rushed to every new checkpoint. I like it games give you quiet moments to check stuff out or maybe talk to people inbetween the action. This game seems to do all of that during cutscenes.

Other than those two issues, I'm enjoying it so far. Graphics are nice, but still very much in that GTA style. Characters still move pretty much the same, environments still feel the same as they did in GTA 4 for me. Only the textures are better.

Story is great, has that cinematic feel they do so well. Only Rockstar can pull off subtle little character moments in games like this. Writing is top notch. In the opening chapter when you get up out of the water and your partner asks you if you need a hand? Max gets up soaked and says 'No, do you?'. That's great - pretty weak comeback that doesn't really even make sense, but then Max isn't exactly at the top his game mentally or physically. In over his head, feeling the stress and the pressure. Good stuff.

I would have preferred if this game was set in America, have to say. Like NY, for a more hard-boiled Noir feel. I'm just not that interested in this setting, but maybe the game can still convince me of that. I'm only a couple of chapters in.

These types of posts should really go into the OT but I'll respond anyway.

There are only a few moments where you fail if you don't move on though.

I think the collectibles are there for the multiple playthroughs.. I'm almost done with hard on the last chapter myself now :).

These types of posts should really go into the OT but I'll respond anyway.

There are only a few moments where you fail if you don't move on though.

I think the collectibles are there for the multiple playthroughs.. I'm almost done with hard on the last chapter myself now :).

Yeah, wish I had, but I didn't see the OT till after. Thought it was dead and the PC guys were all congregated here.

It happened to me at three different places in the second chapter alone, failing for not moving ahead quickly enough, and that was on a second playthrough of that chapter when I was messing around, figuring stuff out.

What's interesting is that each spot has it's own unique fail cutscene, with a different 'I cant cut it anymore' speech from Max. He'll call someone up or it'll just be an internal dialogue or something.

neoism

so is anyone having the terrible problems with this great ( lol) pc port. I couldn't run it at all until I did this..
Mine had the exact same problem, i figured it was because i didn't have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 but then i followed what somebody said on these forums and got it working. First i went to the Max Payne 3 directory in steamapps/common/max payne 3/MP3_installers/. I then installed the social club v1.0.9.5 installer. Then went C:\Users\--USER--\Documents\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3\ and opened the file "graphics.xml" in notepad. edited the line
<DirectXVersion value="3"/>
to
<DirectXVersion value="9"/>
relaunched and it worked, hopefully the same happens to you!
is2b007
looked like shit ,and it would let me change the graphic period. I start the game and watch the first cut scene.. and it crashes as I start to play for the first 30 seconds.

:/ any tips!!! please help.
now it will not start again.

CoolS

Same thing happened to me !
Is it the cutscene where
Max and his friend go to their boss after they couldnt save his daughter in the boat chase
?

I restarted the game and then it worked.

Yep exactly. I skipped the cutscene before it now and it worked. Great game. Lot's of fun shooting to be had and not to easy even on normal.

Spayro

STILL CAN'T ACTIVATE THE DAMN GAME. even rockstar support is clueless as to what the problem might be. Anyone else encountered the "can't connect to activation server" thingy?

Riggs

Banned
What audio options do you guys recommend I use in the game? I am on a logitech G35 , 7.1 be default on these headphones. The options for sound in this game seem odd, "Stereo side" and "Stereo Behind" etc.

There is a headphone option also. I just want to be able to hear the enemies to the side and behind/front.

Not sure if this game is native 5.1 or 7.1. Tried looking all over google and I can't seem to find the info on that.

Riggs

Banned
Ok so I quit Max Payne 3 to reboot my PC. Now it won't even launch. The exe launches in task manager , then just closes itself out!

Running the exe on compatability for vista sp2 (On windows 7), and as admin. I disabled all this, and still same problem now.

So weird I have been playing this game all day.

Any ideas?

Verifying integrity of cache but I am almost sure that is not going to help.

UrbanRats

When it CTD for me, i had to launch it like 4 times before it would start.
The process was present for a few seconds in task manager, and disappear, this for like 4 times, until it started normally and played fine, go figure.

dsk1210

The game does not boot for me if I use d3doverider.

Neither did GTA IV come to think of it, so if you are having problems booting the game up, make sure you have it off.

Also if some people are having problems with the game crashing during play sometimes, make sure to turn your screensaver off, as that seemed to be what caused my 2 crashes so far.

Riggs

Banned
When it CTD for me, i had to launch it like 4 times before it would start.
The process was present for a few seconds in task manager, and disappear, this for like 4 times, until it started normally and played fine, go figure.

Same here dude, all of a sudden. I did nothing but reboot my PC!!! Now the game is doing exactly what you described. So how did you fix it? Just kept launching non stop?

Tokubetsu

Example of LOW SMAA on and off:
Off
On

See, not a big change but it's also less expensive than MSAA. It's looking like FXAA is just your best bet for performance and quality...still not a big fan of the blur though. As little as it may be. Think I might just roll with low SMAA.

I'd like to use high smaa but the hit is too drastic. Someone with a better card than me will probably get more mileage though.

UrbanRats

Same here dude, all of a sudden. I did nothing but reboot my PC!!! Now the game is doing exactly what you described. So how did you fix it? Just kept launching non stop?

Yup.
i'm on steam, btw (don't know if it matters) kept clicking "play" and after some tries it started.

Riggs

Banned
I am about to say fuck it and just crack this shit. I bought it, so whatever. Not waiting untill monday for a response from Rockstar!

Yup.
i'm on steam, btw (don't know if it matters) kept clicking "play" and after some tries it started.

Steam version here also, tried that and it just launches like 15 exes in task manager. Verifying cache if this does not work, crack time =/

Shawn6661

I have a request : can someone please take 2 minutes to test if the game works in offline mode and let me know. Thanks in advance !

PLEASE help me, with the rockstar social club i'm afraid the offline mode wont work, i dont want to buy the game and cant play it afterward, i'm sure one of you have a couple minutes to spare to help a gaffer. Thanks.

iNvid02

they just need to sort out the aa issues and patch some of the bugs and it will be a great port in no time.

580 sli's are getting 120fps pretty much all the time on max settings with fxaa

i hope gta v's port will be of similar quality

scitek

Off
On

See, not a big change but it's also less expensive than MSAA. It's looking like FXAA is just your best bet for performance and quality...still not a big fan of the blur though. As little as it may be. Think I might just roll with low SMAA.

I'd like to use high smaa but the hit is too drastic. Someone with a better card than me will probably get more mileage though.

SMAA destroyed my framerate. Dragged it from 60 all the way to 37. And that was without any other additional form of AA. I'm using FXAA on Normal because it blurs less than Very High, and I'm also downsampling.

UrbanRats

PLEASE help me, with the rockstar social club i'm afraid the offline mode wont work, i dont want to buy the game and cant play it afterward, i'm sure one of you have a couple minutes to spare to help a gaffer. Thanks.

It says "failed to connect to key server" if i try to start it in offline mode.

sflufan

Banned

As far as I can tell, there is no way to play the game without being connected to the R* Social Club.

Riggs

Banned
Figured out how to fix it btw, the problem with MP3 just not starting at all. No error etc, just nothing.

Control Panel / Add-Remove / Turn features on and off / Disable 3.5 framework, enable, then reboot.

It fix's it.

Fucking Rockstar man =/

Now I quit game, tried to relaunch and nothing.

Haha, I guess it's definitely and issue w/ framework. Ridiculous, going to just go play D3 I think at this point.

Off
On

Hmm, I didn't notice that much of a drop in my FPS. im using the injector

http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Running a 5850 with all max except the in game AA. So far I've liked SMAA the best, FXAA just blurs too much for me. SMAA gets a decent amount of edges and it looks fantastic, to does not get everything though, unfortunately.

Yes definitely, noticed it a lot in favela when max was checking a flyer on the floor, very very pixelated floor texture.

Damn, so I'm not alone. Is anyone else getting pixelated textures in certain areas. I noticed it earlier in the game, but a lot in the
beginning of the organ "donor" building.

Shawn6661

I just started the game without an internet connection and it just greyed out the Marketplace option on the main menu. I logged into offline mode on Steam first.

Well so it works ? I'm confused now but thanks for the input. I would appreciate another confirmation on this just to be sure.

Tokubetsu

Hmm, I didn't notice that much of a drop in my FPS. im using the injector

http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Running a 5850 with all max except the in game AA. So far I've liked SMAA the best, FXAA just blurs too much for me. SMAA gets a decent amount of edges and it looks fantastic, to does not get everything though, unfortunately.

Yea, that's the injector I'm using. Again though, my card is old as shit and I shouldn't really be trying AA with it haha. It's all good. Just gonna use FXAA on normal like that other gaffer suggested.

Top Bottom