• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

llotus

Neo Member
I can't believe how much ass kissing is going on in the comments section of that video. People are defending this game to no end.

Sims fans, man. Can't get anywhere with 'em.

People are defending the game in this very topic. Doesn't matter for me at least. I will never let the wound that is SimCity 2013 heal. Never.

This is Willow Creek. All of it
(from what I can gather on the official Sims forum)

Untitled.jpg

As someone who's been playing The Sims 3 since it came out in 2009, I can't express how utterly disappointed I am at the developers of this game.

This REALLY needs another year in the oven...it's just not ready in its pseudo-MMO, barebones state.

Delio

As someone who's been playing The Sims 3 since it came out in 2009, I can't express how utterly disappointed I am by the developers of this game.

This REALLY needs another year in the oven...it's just not ready in its pseudo-MMO, barebones state.

Oh it will be ready...after about five or so expansions.

Untitled.jpg

This....is unacceptable. I think I'm not buying it, at all. I tried the create-a sim today but seeing this makes paying $60 feel like sudden death. Yeah, i'll wait for bargin bin prices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDW9L0Qstc#t=197

Oh god, the return of the loading screen.

There's a loading screen just to see the static 2D image of the neighborhood, then another, longer loading screen to actually load the lot.

Christ. I've been playing TS2 Ultimate since EA was giving it away for free and while the loading screens remain ridiculous in sheer volume, at least installing it on a modern gaming PC with an SSD makes the loading very fast. Far faster than the loading shown here.

No way. That can't be all of it, that's virtually nothing. It's like Sims 1 without expansions small.

^Without expansions

^With Unleashed

It may be a bit bigger than vanilla TS1, but it's DEFINITELY smaller than Unleashed TS1. WTF is going on at Maxis? I really hope that's just pre-release small version of Willow Creek.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
there does seem to be a button for something in the top left

i actually can kind of understand the reasoning behind re-segmenting the towns; namely, presumably the RAM and processing requirements were getting out of hand and they don't want to alienate the audience.

but the sheer lack of content, and the intention to release so many expansions...no, thanks.

McNum

Sigh just looks painfully small seeing it like this.
Yeah, it does. I mean, they've said that you can travel from world to world as easily as traveling within a world, which does mean the game will be twice as big as shown there at launch... but compared to Sims 3's worlds, twice as big is still rather small.

I mean, I get what they're doing, now each expansion can just add a world with its new stuff in it for fast access, but the basic game just looks kind of barren like this. I wish they'd added a third world, at least.

Delio

Yeah, it does. I mean, they've said that you can travel from world to world as easily as traveling within a world, which does mean the game will be twice as big as shown there at launch... but compared to Sims 3's worlds, twice as big is still rather small.

I mean, I get what they're doing, now each expansion can just add a world with its new stuff in it for fast access, but the basic game just looks kind of barren like this. I wish they'd added a third world, at least.

I do GET what they are doing I just wish the base game itself had more stuff in it.

McNum

I do GET what they are doing I just wish the base game itself had more stuff in it.
I totally agree. It's so blatantly a platform for future content. Like, EA is being so very obvious about that here. They're not even trying to hide it anymore. And I used to look forward to this game so much. Now it's more a Duke Nukem Forever thing. I don't expect it to be good, I sort of think it will be a bit of a pale imitation of the real thing... and yet I want to see it for myself.

I saw that, for instance, they just caught a bug where breastfeeding babies had not been restricted by gender... or mothers. So the male neighbor would come visit and start breastfeeding your baby. That's a great bug.

I hope some of these survive until launch, because if there's ONE thing all three The Sims games have been awesome at, it's creative and often hilarious bugs. And save game corruption. It's tradition at this point, really. If Sims 4 has cloud saving and the ability to restore backups from there... it just won't be the same, you know?

Delio

I totally agree. It's so blatantly a platform for future content. Like, EA is being so very obvious about that here. They're not even trying to hide it anymore. And I used to look forward to this game so much. Now it's more a Duke Nukem Forever thing. I don't expect it to be good, I sort of think it will be a bit of a pale imitation of the real thing... and yet I want to see it for myself.

I saw that, for instance, they just caught a bug where breastfeeding babies had not been restricted by gender... or mothers. So the male neighbor would come visit and start breastfeeding your baby. That's a great bug.

I hope some of these survive until launch, because if there's ONE thing all three The Sims games have been awesome at, it's creative and often hilarious bugs. And save game corruption. It's tradition at this point, really. If Sims 4 has cloud saving and the ability to restore backups from there... it just won't be the same, you know?

The bugs are the best. Heck im still getting save bugs in my Sims 3 game with no way to fix it other than "Save often". I wanted to see for myself how this game would turn out but I just cant bring myself to drop the money on it.

You are right tho it's pretty clearly ready for extras to be added in and slotted between lots in the world to slowly fill it up. I can totally see the MMO roots here as well which honestly they might as well had released it instead of giving us this half assed mess.

( The uproar over it would have been hilarious like the Sim City one was. So fun to sit back and watch from the side lines...and weep)

McNum

Well, let's talk babies for a second.

Babies! (In German from Simsfans.de)

Babies in The Sims 4... aren't Sims. They're part of a crib object that you can interact with until you get bored of that and hit the Grow Up button. Then they become a child (as there's no such thing as toddlers in Sims 4, remember?) But on the upside, unlike in The Sims 3, they DO have legs. Turns out Sims don't have a larval stage after all.

I don't know what I expected. This is closer to the Sims 1 than any other game in the series, except in Sims 1, you had to care for the baby-crib object for three Sim-days for it to become a child. Sounds like you can just skip it immediately if you want to here.

Teletraan1

Banned
Game looks like hot garbage. These games have always been shady about removing features from one iteration to the next to package as expansions but this base game looks to have nothing to do. Still don't trust Maxis since Sim City and this is looking to be shit in digital form.

Well, let's talk babies for a second.

Babies! (In German from Simsfans.de)

Babies in The Sims 4... aren't Sims. They're part of a crib object that you can interact with until you get bored of that and hit the Grow Up button. Then they become a child (as there's no such thing as toddlers in Sims 4, remember?) But on the upside, unlike in The Sims 3, they DO have legs. Turns out Sims don't have a larval stage after all.

I don't know what I expected. This is closer to the Sims 1 than any other game in the series, except in Sims 1, you had to care for the baby-crib object for three Sim-days for it to become a child. Sounds like you can just skip it immediately if you want to here.

What do you mean they're part of the crib object? You don't take them out of the crib and feet them/change them/set them down? Because babies in TS2 aren't "sims" in that they're not selectable and you can't tell them to do anything, but they have "hidden" needs that you have to be on the lookout on for those three days. If all of that has been removed and they're just part of an interactive object this is even worse.

Zareka

Untitled.jpg

I'm seriously just laughing my ass off by this point. It's all too hilarious.

So, let's see what we've got here:
-No pools.
-No toddlers. Missing an entire life stage here.
-From the poster just above me, no babies. If you can seriously just skip this and they're treated as objects, then...2 missing life stages.
-Teens being adults who go to school and don't have as many interactions. I guess they've always been this, but you can't even differentiate them by height any more. They couldn't even be bothered to make them that little bit smaller.
-No/very wattered down story progression. If what I read is correct, the most other sims do is age with you now, no?
-No open world. Town divided in to segments.
-I don't know much about this, but no 64 bit client. If I'm right, that limits how much RAM etc the game can use, effectively gimping the game for anyone with a slightly above average PC, no? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And now we find out the town size is barely bigger than TS1 base game. Abysmal. This is such a poor show from EA and Maxis, though I shouldn't have expect anything less.

It's a damn shame, too. That article Kotaku just posted detailing how emotions and multi tasking etc made the game play out sounded really cool as well. If they had got that on top of a decently sized base game, I would have bought it no problem.

Get back to me in 10 years when they're handing out the Ultimate Collection w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶7̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶a̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶4̶2̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶s̶ for free.

Edit: Did not notice the OP was being update, I also need to learn to forums. Ignore me!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Congratulations Maxis.

You have managed to finally kill my interest in The Sims series. This hands down looks like the worst sequel gameplay "change-up" I've seen from an EA game since C&C4.

...and after all this time, they still have not said anything about giving everyone the demo. What is their issue exactly? I want to make sims goddamn.

McNum

What do you mean they're part of the crib object? You don't take them out of the crib and feet them/change them/set them down? Because babies in TS2 aren't "sims" in that they're not selectable and you can't tell them to do anything, but they have "hidden" needs that you have to be on the lookout on for those three days. If all of that has been removed and they're just part of an interactive object this is even worse.
I mean exactly what I said. The baby is an object. You interact with it by clicking the crib and your Sim picks it up, does the interaction, and puts it back in the crib. You can't carry the baby, it's tied to the crib. And when that gets old, you press Grow Up and it does.

So, yeah, the first life stage where a Sim is actually a Sim is as a child.

Berordn

The TS1 comparison is appropriate, where the "baby" was really just a crib object that eventually turned into a child Sim. We're going back to that instead of TS2/TS3's multiple intricate life stages before that.

Edit: oh, beat ;(

McNum

so how will biy it day 1 anyway?
I will.

Morbid curiosity, really. Hoping against hope it might be good, but really, if this is what it looks like, I want to see it firsthand. Missed out on seeing SimCity go awful, but I'm not missing out on this one.

Artanisix

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Please, please don't make this game shit. I will never hear the end of it from my girlfriend when she inevitably buys it day 1.

Blues1990

Yeah, I was once excited with the prospect of creating any kind of Sim that I wanted for 'The Sims 4', but it sounds like it's going to be SimCity 2013 all over again, where essential features are either removed or are downsized. It's a bummer, as the new 'Create-A-Sim' feature sounded pretty cool.

For some reason I am on a Sims 3 kick right now after having gotten it during the Steam sale and never having played much of the Sims since the original.

So, I was interested in seeing how the Sims 4 was shaping up.

Wow, they really are stripping things down, aren't they? The character creator and building things look nice but it seems like every other feature they're totally cannibalizing. It really does seem like SimCity 2013 all over again where its got a slick look and it looks nice on the surface but you go any deeper than surface level and they've just stripped features that were mainstays in past games.

Do we know anything about the super natural elements? I assume its just ghosts for the base game (tell me they aren't taking that out as well...)? The Sims 2 had aliens and ghosts in the base game, but Sims 3 just had ghosts to start.

Ultimadrago

For some reason I am on a Sims 3 kick right now after having gotten it during the Steam sale and never having played much of the Sims since the original.

So, I was interested in seeing how the Sims 4 was shaping up.

Wow, they really are stripping things down, aren't they? The character creator and building things look nice but it seems like every other feature they're totally cannibalizing. It really does seem like SimCity 2013 all over again where its got a slick look and it looks nice on the surface but you go any deeper than surface level and they've just stripped features that were mainstays in past games.

Gotta get the money, honey.

Assuming they're short, having a multiple regions minus the obligatory "park, hospital, etc" lots only a load screen away and being able to have all my regions interact is a pretty decent trade off from all that empty space from the last game. I'm not sold, but i'm still interested in this game.

Zareka

Do we know anything about the super natural elements? I assume its just ghosts for the base game (tell me they aren't taking that out as well...)? The Sims 2 had aliens and ghosts in the base game, but Sims 3 just had ghosts to start.

Good point. I haven't heard anything about life states other than default sims in this game. I mean, NOTHING. You'd think they'd have at least mentioned ghosts or something by this point.

Then again, there *is* a rocket and a few months to go until release. Aliens could be pretty likely
as day 1 DLC

McNum

Assuming they're short, having a multiple regions minus the obligatory "park, hospital, etc" lots only a load screen away and being able to have all my regions interact is a pretty decent trade off from all that empty space from the last game. I'm not sold, but i'm still interested in this game.
Yeah, the idea of having worlds be plug and play like this is not a bad one. But it just looks really, really cheap coming from the huge worlds of The Sims 3.

Oh, the reason there's so much new info out today is that the embargo for the The Sims 4 Creator's Camp is lifted, meaning that the fan sites who got to play early can now share what they saw. I've been reading several fan previews... and well... huh.

Also missing from The Sims 4!
- Dishwashers
- Trash compactors
- Burglar alarms, because...
- Burglars!

Yes, seriously. The one common hazard from all Sims games except fires, is gone. No more burglars. I mean, sure, they were just a tax of buying a burglar alarm to completely shut them down in the previous game, but that doesn't mean they were useless.

You know, usually previews show off all the stuff that you can look forward to that's actually IN the game. Why is it that those for The Sims 4 just show what's NOT?

Well, you CAN be a Space Smuggler in the game. Because waking up, taking a shower, then heading into space on your rocket ship to dodge Imperial Star Destroyers and deliver spices to Jabba the Hutt is a core element of an everyday life simulator.

I'm laughing, but it's not really funny.

Revven

Yeah, the idea of having worlds be plug and play like this is not a bad one. But it just looks really, really cheap coming from the huge worlds of The Sims 3.

Oh, the reason there's so much new info out today is that the embargo for the The Sims 4 Creator's Camp is lifted, meaning that the fan sites who got to play early can now share what they saw. I've been reading several fan previews... and well... huh.

- Dishwashers
- Trash compactors
- Burglars!

Yes, seriously. The one common hazard from all Sims games except fires, is gone. No more burglars. I mean, sure, they were just a tax of buying a burglar alarm to completely shut them down in the previous game, but that doesn't mean they were useless.

You know, usually previews show off all the stuff that you can look forward to that's actually IN the game. Why is it that those for The Sims 4 just show what's NOT?

Well, you CAN be a Space Smuggler in the game. Because waking up, taking a shower, then heading into space on your rocket ship to dodge Imperial Star Destroyers and deliver spices to Jabba the Hutt is a core element of an everyday life simulator.

If only there was another negative response I could give about this news of the removal of burglars.

But I'm afraid I've said everything I possibly could already and this game just keeps digging a deeper hole for missing features.

Just read on reddit that the game will have mod support so I guess there's hope that modders will be able to unfuck at least some of the mistakes Maxis is making.

Well, at least there's some positive news... but it doesn't sway me to buy the game at all.

- Dishwashers
- Trash compactors
- Burglars!

What? No burglars. Or dishwashers. Or Trash Compacters. Come the fuck on!
This feels like when The Sims 3 didn't have hot tubs or changing tables at launch. Ugh.

McNum

Well, at least there's some positive news... but it doesn't sway me to buy the game at all.
The Mod support looks rather solid, actually. Ingame menu to activate and deactivate mods, a EA made reference guide to all the file formats, and, of course, a crazy-relentless modding community that would like to inform EA that they appreciate the offer, but they've already hacked out most of the file formats the hard way.

It's not all awful, but wow do he modders have their work cut out for them if they want to make this game... whole?

Top Bottom