• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

Zareka

Haha what? No burglars? Those guys gave me heart attacks back in The Sims 1, but also made for one of the most memorable parts. Another thing to add to the list.

CTLance

Just read on reddit that the game will have mod support so I guess there's hope that modders will be able to unfuck at least some of the mistakes Maxis is making.
I hate this line of thought, although I admit it's correct in theory. The devs should do their goddamn job and deliver a full-featured game and not rely on some poor idiots with too much time on their hands and a burning desire to help others in their spare time for free.

Slightly relevant Jimquisition (around the three minute mark).

Sandfox

What? No burglars. Or dishwashers. Or Trash Compacters. Come the fuck on!
This feels like when The Sims 3 didn't have hot tubs or changing tables at launch. Ugh.

Its the exact same thing because EA will just add this type of stuff with the first few expansions.

shandy706

How much work are they putting into building and AI?

I don't think I'll get my panties in a wad till I see the final product. Hopefully what we do get is top notch. (Wishful thinking maybe)

I don't think I'll get my panties in a wad till I see the final product. Hopefully what we do get is top notch. (Wishful thinking maybe)

Yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the elements Maxis actually decides to include are awesome.

I really, really want to like The Sims 4...it's heartbreaking how that's becoming more and more difficult to do so as we learn more about it.

Trigger

Goddamn, are there refrigerators? Can my sims eat or is that DLC too?
XBMjaTZ.gif

It's a little distressing to see all this basic shit missing and know very well that EA will sell it to me separately down the road.

Muppet345

Note: not defending this game, it looks like they tried to make it like SimCity but gutted it after the backlash and this is what's left. Disappointing. However, I'm probably still gonna buy it because I want to play a Sims game, and Sims 3 is broken. The game ran poorly regardless of your computer specs, the pathfinding was frustrating (invite sims over for a party, and watch them all leave because their needs depleted while they were traveling 8 hours to your house), and toying with mod settings (nraas, etc) felt like playing favorites with which bugs you could tolerate for certain performance & playability trade-offs. I know S4 will have bugs but it felt like Sims 3 just had a fundamentally broken infrastructure that they could never manage to fix, just add content to. The mods helped a ton but they also made the game crash a lot, at least for me.

Having to buy all the content as expansions is going to be ridiculous, but hopefully this time the core game won't be broken from the start and I can have some fun with it after a few sales.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it's kind of fascinating to see the difference between Maxis in 2014 and Firaxis in 2014

it's interesting because they're both kind of trying to do the same thing; open up their games to wider audiences by lowering the barrier to entry

the execution couldn't be more different, though. where firaxis lowers the barrier to entry but keeps the depth and complexity for pros, maxis is lowering the barrier to entry by removing the complexity altogether.

sad to see one of the most important developers of all time in this state. hopefully the sims 4 will be a relative flop and they'll see the error of their ways.

it's kind of fascinating to see the difference between Maxis in 2014 and Firaxis in 2014

it's interesting because they're both kind of trying to do the same thing; open up their games to wider audiences by lowering the barrier to entry

the execution couldn't be more different, though. where firaxis lowers the barrier to entry but keeps the depth and complexity for pros, maxis is lowering the barrier to entry by removing the complexity altogether.

sad to see one of the most important developers of all time in this state. hopefully the sims 4 will be a relative flop and they'll see the error of their ways.

I think the difference is the leadership.

Sid Meier is still at Firaxis...we really see his influence shine through.

But Will Wright is no longer with Maxis. I know Spore got all messed up but...I miss him. :-(

ScribbleD

Doubtful that this will flop, and if it does there will be no lesson learning. They'll be closed down.

If Sims 4 flops, EA will blame the consumers and close Maxis. Literally no result could cause EA to "see the error of their ways".

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think the difference is the leadership.

Sid Meier is still at Firaxis...we really see his influence shine through.

But Will Wright is no longer with Maxis. I know Spore got all messed up but...I miss him. :-(

Even putting Sid aside, Firaxis has some great people working for it who have had leadership roles in producing/directing/designing games. Jake Solomon did awesome work on XCOM with Sid advising on the sidelines. I don't really see any Jakes over at Maxis.

Berordn

How many modders would actually be interested in unborking TS4 when they've already spent years making TS3 fantastic?

I'm honestly seeing no reason to upgrade. TS3 gutted some features, but made things like cars from TS2 expansions baseline and some other expansion odds and ends - on top of create a style and the whole new town and neighborhood systems. It only got better as time went on, with features being patched into the base game.

TS4 adds... body sliders? Which can already be modded into TS3? I'm just not seeing the benefit if it adds nothing to the base experience and they're gonna nickel and dime every gutted feature back in. There's not even going to be a good meltdown since there's no always online functionality to be broken from the start.

Delio

I'm screaming at the babies being reduced to crib only objects. Such a mess. I'm really curious what the first expansion pack will be after this drops. Or if they are going with a more "small dlc over time" model.

Sandfox

How many modders would actually be interested in unborking TS4 when they've already spent years making TS3 fantastic?

I'm honestly seeing no reason to upgrade. TS3 gutted some features, but made things like cars from TS2 expansions baseline and some other expansion odds and ends - on top of create a style and the whole new town and neighborhood systems. It only got better as time went on, with features being patched into the base game.

TS4 adds... body sliders? Which can already be modded into TS3? I'm just not seeing the benefit if it adds nothing to the base experience and they're gonna nickel and dime every gutted feature back in. There's not even going to be a good meltdown since there's no always online functionality to be broken from the start.

The same thing could've been said about TS3 and the core community will more than likely move over and make mods.

Kimaka

This is Willow Creek. All of it
(from what I can gather on the official Sims forum)

Untitled.jpg

Well, let's talk babies for a second.

Babies! (In German from Simsfans.de)

Babies in The Sims 4... aren't Sims. They're part of a crib object that you can interact with until you get bored of that and hit the Grow Up button. Then they become a child (as there's no such thing as toddlers in Sims 4, remember?) But on the upside, unlike in The Sims 3, they DO have legs. Turns out Sims don't have a larval stage after all.

I don't know what I expected. This is closer to the Sims 1 than any other game in the series, except in Sims 1, you had to care for the baby-crib object for three Sim-days for it to become a child. Sounds like you can just skip it immediately if you want to here.

Yeah, the idea of having worlds be plug and play like this is not a bad one. But it just looks really, really cheap coming from the huge worlds of The Sims 3.

Oh, the reason there's so much new info out today is that the embargo for the The Sims 4 Creator's Camp is lifted, meaning that the fan sites who got to play early can now share what they saw. I've been reading several fan previews... and well... huh.

Also missing from The Sims 4!
- Dishwashers
- Trash compactors
- Burglar alarms, because...
- Burglars!

Yes, seriously. The one common hazard from all Sims games except fires, is gone. No more burglars. I mean, sure, they were just a tax of buying a burglar alarm to completely shut them down in the previous game, but that doesn't mean they were useless.

You know, usually previews show off all the stuff that you can look forward to that's actually IN the game. Why is it that those for The Sims 4 just show what's NOT?

Well, you CAN be a Space Smuggler in the game. Because waking up, taking a shower, then heading into space on your rocket ship to dodge Imperial Star Destroyers and deliver spices to Jabba the Hutt is a core element of an everyday life simulator.

I'm laughing, but it's not really funny.

Amazing. So many missing things that existed even in TS1 but we're supposed to ignore it because "EMOTIONS!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow... that neighborhood is so small... also it lacks detail. Like some shit from mobile.

Delio

So this world and the other one are connected right? Where you can move between them easy? I suppose thats fine. I read a article on jobs and seeing the emotions effect your jobs more just seem good. Sigh I cant wait to watch the simmers I follow play the game least i'll get to see how they react to it.

Maddrical

I can't believe how much of a downgrade this is... I played bugger all Sims 3 but enjoyed it. No create a style, open world, or community lots is insanity. There's no excuse for it, zero. "Not enough time" isn't a fucking excuse, don't release it until the content is in! This seriously blows my mind. If it's EA causing this shit, I hope the game crashes and burns and I really feel sorry for Maxis. If it's Maxis, fuck them.

Xander51

Hearing that the town is all segmented is a huge bummer to me. The seamless town is my favorite thing about The Sims 3.

boltz

Doubtful that this will flop, and if it does there will be no lesson learning. They'll be closed down.

EA knows exactly what it wants - maximum return on investment, which means pushing their customers as much as they can to pay for additional content. That's what they'll learn, not how to take care of your fan base.

Sandfox

EA knows exactly what it wants - maximum return on investment, which means pushing their customers as much as they can to pay for additional content. That's what they'll learn, not how to take care of your fan base.

They already do that now and it works so they would just assume that Maxis is done or something.

Looks like I'll need to finally just buy all The Sims 3 stuff on Steam when it's on sale again. (Although I do want this just based on it being the sims alone, there's too much going on here for me to do that.)

MJLord

If this was "The Sims Mobile" and on touch devices for £5-10 I could probably let it pass.

At this point I'm betting it was a mobile game that some idiot in a boardroom thought would be a perfect fit for the next iteration in the Sims.

Lucifon

No BURGLARS!?! Nope, I'm done. This game is just a huge disappointment.

Is that really a huge disappointment...really? They basically existed to force you to buy burglar alarms and that was it. In fact they seemed so rare in The Sims 3 that I think i've seen them once or twice throughout all my playtime (I own all the expansions). If I didn't read this I don't think I'd have even noticed their absence.

I'm screaming at the babies being reduced to crib only objects. Such a mess. I'm really curious what the first expansion pack will be after this drops. Or if they are going with a more "small dlc over time" model.

I really hope it's the proper expansion model, like every other Sims. Their expansions are genuine expansions with a lot of content, old-school PC style. That's how expansions/DLC should be. Granted there was a lot of them, but you can grab them so cheap even at launch if you know where to look!

Whilst it's easy to focus on the missing bits (just like any Sims release), there's some positives. They're actively supporting modding from day 1 by the looks of things, something which is pretty damn rare in today's market.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I've been a huge fan of the Sims franchise (and the expansions!) but this new numbered entry is a complete joke. Who thought this was a great idea? :/

Shojx

Seeing the game in this sorry state hurts even more after recently going back to the Sims 2 and remembering what good fun the game was, thanks to the Ultimate Collection.

Well, outside of the base game, I missed out on the Sims 3-era games, so I guess I can try those ones while observing what becomes of the Sims 4. We live in an age where it's easier to express your opinion on something like this, so maybe enough feedback will convince them to fix what's wrong with the game, albeit likely post-launch if at all. Either way, I'm sure I'll want to try it eventually, someday...

I hate this line of thought, although I admit it's correct in theory. The devs should do their goddamn job and deliver a full-featured game and not rely on some poor idiots with too much time on their hands and a burning desire to help others in their spare time for free.

I agree, and I'm not buying the game. Just pointing out that those who still do can at least have some hope that modders will make their experience better.

fwpx

I was going to buy this game for my wife, but I think she deserves better, and will have a better experience if she just keeps playing The Sims 3. What a disaster.

Rootbeer

Banned
I wish we had a worthy counterpart to the sims. I think the problem here is Maxis has no actual competition when it comes to modern-themed town/people simulators.

Chaos17

Did you watched the gameplay videos (page 15 or 16) ?
Because, imo, they didn't look smarter at all...

Well, let's talk babies for a second.

Babies! (In German from Simsfans.de)

Babies in The Sims 4... aren't Sims. They're part of a crib object that you can interact with until you get bored of that and hit the Grow Up button. Then they become a child (as there's no such thing as toddlers in Sims 4, remember?) But on the upside, unlike in The Sims 3, they DO have legs. Turns out Sims don't have a larval stage after all.

I don't know what I expected. This is closer to the Sims 1 than any other game in the series, except in Sims 1, you had to care for the baby-crib object for three Sim-days for it to become a child. Sounds like you can just skip it immediately if you want to here.
Such a downgrade...

Top Bottom