• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think the difference is the leadership.

Sid Meier is still at Firaxis...we really see his influence shine through.

But Will Wright is no longer with Maxis. I know Spore got all messed up but...I miss him. :-(
Maybe, although he was directly responsible for Spore, and Spore in a way was like the nucleus of Maxis' new 'take out all the complexity' design mantra.
Doubtful that this will flop, and if it does there will be no lesson learning. They'll be closed down.

If Sims 4 flops, EA will blame the consumers and close Maxis. Literally no result could cause EA to "see the error of their ways".
I don't think so. They're not going to kill the most successful PC game series of all time just because of one (relatively) under-performing entry.

Lucifon

Just watched the Kotaku gameplay footage and it looks good to me. The 'park' plot was significantly better than any park plot in the Sims 3, much larger with much more going on. The ability to just completely edit public plots (like the park) is awesome too, and a neat touch to finally be able to edit objects which are in use by a Sim. Interactions between Sims looks to be expanded upon, with the 'emotions' offering different options.

It's a shame things are removed that were in Sims 3, but that happens with every new Sims game. It looks like the core mechanics are being improved.

The gameplay demo for those wondering - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDW9L0Qstc

The Sims 4 looks to be undead. Starved and skeletal, it hungers for something to consume...

Just watched the Kotaku gameplay footage and it looks good to me. The 'park' plot was significantly better than any park plot in the Sims 3, much larger with much more going on. The ability to just completely edit public plots (like the park) is awesome too, and a neat touch to finally be able to edit objects which are in use by a Sim. Interactions between Sims looks to be expanded upon, with the 'emotions' offering different options.

It's a shame things are removed that were in Sims 3, but that happens with every new Sims game. It looks like the core mechanics are being improved.

The gameplay demo for those wondering - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDW9L0Qstc

There's a reason why that particular park seems so active and large... plus, it was probably staged for marketing purposes anyways.

I'll leave this gem of a post here for you to draw your own conclusions:
This is Willow Creek. All of it
(from what I can gather on the official Sims forum)

Untitled.jpg

PotentiallyNinjaEdit: If McNum's post below is correct, then aliens are in! woohooooooo~

I want to believe that EA/Maxis is actually making the fourth Sims game... but it's tough.

McNum

Hey, let's talk babies again for a second. This one is going to be fun. So... guess what skin colors babies come in? If you thought "Well, they'll be some shade that's soemwhere between what the parents are, give or take." then do I have news for you.

Babies come in light, tan, and green. Yup. green. No dark skin tone. Two black Sims have a child? It'll be white. Tan at the most. Probably not green. Probably.

I'm just going to assume incompetence, but wonder if EA can't see how bad and/or racially charged this is going to look once the game launches.

Is there a word for being amused by the incompetence of others? Because I'm going to need that word, it seems.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is that really a huge disappointment...really? They basically existed to force you to buy burglar alarms and that was it. In fact they seemed so rare in The Sims 3 that I think i've seen them once or twice throughout all my playtime (I own all the expansions). If I didn't read this I don't think I'd have even noticed their absence.

Actually I have encountered them a lot, but then again I am using mods. Also you can be your own burglar.

Babies come in light, tan, and green. Yup. green. No dark skin tone. Two black Sims have a child? It'll be white. Tan at the most. Probably not green. Probably.

I'm just going to assume incompetence, but wonder if EA can't see how bad and/or racially charged this is going to look once the game launches.

Probably incompetence. I remember back with Dragon Age Origins, with the Human Noble origin, you have white parents no matter what you ended up making your player character look like. And then BioWare was able to fix that in DA2.

But I'm sure Maxis/EA will give some sob story about how difficult it would be to include some advanced feature like babies matching their parent's skin tone and how we should be happy babies are even in the game in the first place given all of the other amazing innovations they're making.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Options for making Sims of colour were always pretty limited, particularly in the hair-styles front.

Skele7on

Banned
HOW WILL I DROWN MY SIMS NOW?

Man EA, you're really really doing everything in your power to kill old faithful franchises.

I'm not going to be the one to tell my girl friend about these cuts.

Maybe I will just get her the sims 3 and just change some of the files to make it look like the sims 4

Yrael

Hey, let's talk babies again for a second. This one is going to be fun. So... guess what skin colors babies come in? If you thought "Well, they'll be some shade that's soemwhere between what the parents are, give or take." then do I have news for you.

Is there a word for being amused by the incompetence of others? Because I'm going to need that word, it seems.

42354-Wait-what-Loki-gif-QOce.gif

That is...bizarre if true. I had to look this one up - from reading over some posts on the modding forums it seems that these lines:

Baby Light
Baby Medium
Baby Green

were found in the CAS files. However, it's still unclear if this is actually referring to skin tone, or the colour of the baby's onesie:

tumblr_n9ls4rfNxT1sh6xelo4_r1_1280.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Options for making Sims of colour were always pretty limited, particularly in the hair-styles front.

Sims 3 had it in spades though. You can even select the base color, tip color, highlight color, and body color separately using a color wheel!

DedValve

Banned
Are genetics STILL gone in this one? That was one of the best features of TS2.

EDIT: As for colors you can make purple sims in TS3. One of the best features of TS3 was any color in the rainbow belonged to you.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sims 3 had it in spades though. You can even select the base color, tip color, highlight color, and body color separately using a color wheel!

You could change the colour, yes, but the styles themselves were predominantly caucasian styles.

McNum

HOW WILL I DROWN MY SIMS NOW?

Man EA, you're really really doing everything in your power to kill old faithful franchises.

I'm not going to be the one to tell my girl friend about these cuts.

Maybe I will just get her the sims 3 and just change some of the files to make it look like the sims 4
You make a Sim who really has to pee laugh. Then laugh harder. Then get into a Hysterical mood and keep laughing until it pees itself, then dies from laughter. You Sim now lies dead in a pool of pee. And hey, you get a pool. Well, more of a puddle, really.

This was actually used in the E3 game demo.
That is...bizarre if true. I had to look this one up - from reading over some posts on the modding forums it seems that these lines:

Baby Light
Baby Medium
Baby Green

were found in the CAS files. However, it's still unclear if this is actually referring to skin tone, or the colour of the baby's onesie:

tumblr_n9ls4rfNxT1sh6xelo4_r1_1280.png
That is a possibility, yes. But at this point, can we be sure?

I mean, The Sims 4 has reached that point where any bad news sounds credible. You can't even parody it anymore.

Skele7on

Banned
You make a Sim who really has to pee laugh. Then laugh harder. Then get into a Hysterical mood and keep laughing until it pees itself, then dies from laughter. You Sim now lies dead in a pool of pee. And hey, you get a pool. Well, more of a puddle, really.

This was actually used in the E3 game demo.

Yeahhhh... I'm not going to do that. That is literally beyond what I'm willing to do to kill a Sim... I have Morals you know....

McNum

Yeahhhh... I'm not going to do that. That is literally beyond what I'm willing to do to kill a Sim... I have Morals you know....
I did mention that this is part of an actual EA made gameplay trailer for the game right? As Kim Jung-Un pees himself due to a malfunction in his cupcake machine, two other Sims based on the designers of the game laugh themselves to death in a puddle of North Korean dictator pee.

That is a trailer that is supposed to make us want the game, mind you.

Skele7on

Banned
I did mention that this is part of an actual EA made gameplay trailer for the game right? As Kim Jung-Un pees himself due to a malfunction in his cupcake machine, two other Sims based on the designers of the game laugh themselves to death in a puddle of North Korean dictator pee.

That is a trailer that is supposed to make us want the game, mind you.

oh my, EA sure have the strangest of marketing techniques.

Koomaster

Well, let's talk babies for a second.

Babies! (In German from Simsfans.de)

Babies in The Sims 4... aren't Sims. They're part of a crib object that you can interact with until you get bored of that and hit the Grow Up button. Then they become a child (as there's no such thing as toddlers in Sims 4, remember?) But on the upside, unlike in The Sims 3, they DO have legs. Turns out Sims don't have a larval stage after all.

I don't know what I expected. This is closer to the Sims 1 than any other game in the series, except in Sims 1, you had to care for the baby-crib object for three Sim-days for it to become a child. Sounds like you can just skip it immediately if you want to here.
This sort of explains why there are no more repo-men and no burglars. If babies are now only cribs, you wouldn't want them to get repossessed for not paying your bills; nor have them stolen by burglars.

Insurance company compensates you like $400 simoleons for when your baby gets stolen would have been pretty odd.

Wonder if you can just store babies in your family inventory and raise them when the mood suits you?

Kabouter

This sort of explains why there are no more repo-men and no burglars. If babies are now only cribs, you wouldn't want them to get repossessed for not paying your bills; nor have them stolen by burglars.

Insurance company compensates you like $400 simoleons for when your baby gets stolen would have been pretty odd.

Wonder if you can just store babies in your family inventory and raise them when the mood suits you?

I doubt that's the reason those things are missing, it shouldn't be particularly hard to make cribs impossible to steal for burglars or repossess by repo-men. There are after all already plenty of objects on a lot that neither can take.

RevoDS

That's about the one thing I don't mind was removed. Paying bills wasn't exactly the fun part of The Sims.

Berordn

I doubt that's the reason those things are missing, it shouldn't be particularly hard to make cribs impossible to steal for burglars or repossess by repo-men. There are after all already plenty of objects on a lot that neither can take.

That's also how it already worked in TS1, which featured both.

The full career list, with branching paths:

Entertainer: Musician/Comedian
Writer: Author/Journalist
Painter: Master of the Real/Patron of the Arts
Secret Agent: Diamond Agent/Villain
Criminal: Boss/Oracle
Astronomer: Space Ranger/Smuggler
Culinary: Chef/Mixologist
Tech Guru: eSport Gamer/Start-up Entrepeneur

Missing: Military, Law Enforcement, Medicine, Athletic, Politician, Scientist and Education.

There are no rabbit hole buildings, the Sim just disappears off the lot (no car pool either.)

That's about the one thing I don't mind was removed. Paying bills wasn't exactly the fun part of The Sims.
You still have to pay bills in this game. In fact, they cost more money too.
Instead of a repo man, they cut off various utilities.
It's actually a much preferred change TBH.

When I first saw "Babies are 3 colours" I instantly thought "not that big a deal, surely its black, white, and tan or something. That would cover almost every base but green?!

Green and no black?

Goddamn. I do not want green sims walking around! I will instantly delete them if there are any.

In other news. A new wave of the demo has been going out, just check on Origin. I obviously didn't get it. I just wish anyone I knew had it, so I could try out the crack with it.

Delio

Missing: Military, Law Enforcement, Medicine, Athletic, Politician, Scientist and Education.

There are no rabbit hole buildings, the Sim just disappears off the lot (no car pool either.)

Is that really all the jobs? I read that last night and thought maybe he didnt see them all. Hasnt Military,Medicine, Law Enforcement and Athletic been base jobs for the longest?

Also I find it funny that you can be a criminal with no burglars in the game.

Haha, I doubt they put as much thought into it as you did.

Nimby

Banned

Reading through the comments on that article and seeing things like "I bet those old jobs will be in a future expansion, so let's not worry" depresses me so.

I'm still baffled as to what, exactly, is better about The Sims 4 in any way. Like, emotions, I guess? Which are basically the same idea as moodlets from TS3 as far as I can tell? And better Create-A-Sim maybe? They've removed both of the major additions from TS3 (open world and Create-A-Style), stripped down features from TS2, and took out stuff that's been in since TS1. Seriously, what the hell?

McNum

I'm still baffled as to what, exactly, is better about The Sims 4 in any way. Like, emotions, I guess? Which are basically the same idea as moodlets from TS3 as far as I can tell? And better Create-A-Sim maybe? They've removed both of the major additions from TS3 (open world and Create-A-Style), stripped down features from TS2, and took out stuff that's been in since TS1. Seriously, what the hell?
Multitasking is new and neat. How a Sim interacts with objects has been revamped since Sims 3 so they can now do two or more things at the same time. So you have a Sim run on a treadmill, while having a conversation with the Sim running on the treadmill besides him, and watching the Cooking Channel on TV. Building Athletic, Cooking, and Charisma skill all at the same time.

But other than emotions, Create-a-Sim and the ability to save and share room layouts in Build Mode I'm coming up blank for what else is new and exciting. Well, the built-in mod support is nice, but that's not really new content.

Wait, where is the Business career?

I always loved becoming a CEO. Don't tell me you have to settle with those quirky-as-hell careers?

Is that really all the jobs? I read that last night and thought maybe he didnt see them all. Hasnt Military,Medicine, Law Enforcement and Athletic been base jobs for the longest?

Also I find it funny that you can be a criminal with no burglars in the game.

The Sims 1 base game:

1) Business
2) Entertainment
3) Law Enforcement
4) Life of Crime
5) Medicine
6) Military
7) Politics
8) Pro Athlete
9) Science
10) Xtreme

The Sims 2 base game:

1) Athletic
2) Business
3) Criminal
4) Culinary
5) Law Enforcement
6) Medicine
7) Military
8) Politics
9) Science
10) Slacker

The Sims 3 base game:

1) Business
2) Criminal
3) Culinary
4) Journalism
5) Law Enforcement
6) Medical
7) Military
8) Music
9) Political
10) Professional Sports
11) Science

The Sims 4 base game:

1) Astronomer
2) Criminal
3) Culinary
4) Entertainer
5) Painter
6) Secret Agent
7) Tech Guru
8) Writer

One of these lists is unlike the others.

JoeBoy101

Core mechanics improved? They have been REMoved. Do we really need to post all the items missing from base games of Sims 1, 2, and 3, to the Sims 4 base game?

This stinks of, "Skip the boring jobs and put all the quirky awesome ones in!!11!" Yeah, and I'd rather have the list of missing ones than the ones included.

Koomaster

Multitasking is new and neat. How a Sim interacts with objects has been revamped since Sims 3 so they can now do two or more things at the same time. So you have a Sim run on a treadmill, while having a conversation with the Sim running on the treadmill besides him, and watching the Cooking Channel on TV. Building Athletic, Cooking, and Charisma skill all at the same time.

But other than emotions, Create-a-Sim and the ability to save and share room layouts in Build Mode I'm coming up blank for what else is new and exciting. Well, the built-in mod support is nice, but that's not really new content.
Multitasking seems like an expansion of TS3 where sims could eat and talk to one another at the same time. Or watch tv and talk. There was some limited multitasking going on in 3.

This is what they should have been doing with other things that were already in the game. Take the idea of Create-a-Style and then improve on it. Take swimming and pools and improve on it. etc.

Before all this talk about no open game world and offscreen jobs, I thought they were going to take more of a Ambitions/University approach to jobs. No more rabbit holes; but you would instead have jobs where you take a more active role (like ghost hunter or home decorator) or it would be like lectures classes at the university where you see your Sim at work and could give them tasks to do while they sit at their desk if you wanted. Basically I envisioned the future of Sims 4 to be where you could follow your sim wherever they go in an open town. So the reality of what the game is shaping up to be is pretty crummy.

I figured they would hold some stuff back for expansion packs; that's just a staple of the series. I'm fine with that since the base game is good on its' own and every expansion adds a lot more to that. But all the good core ideas from all those expansions are just gone now. It's like filling up an entire dry erase board and then erasing 99% of it.

Top Bottom