• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

Why are you rushing to get to 10 Career then? Seems like you're not enjoying Sims 3 because you're making it into a chore.

Just because I've played it enough times. I've had a lot of grand families with very different Sims and lifestyles. Collectors, martial arts masters, painters, writers, everything. Nothing left for me to do here so Sims 4 is more than welcome when it's cheap, or from CDKeys haha.

Zareka

But won't TS4 be the exact same thing? The whole point of people complaining is that this base game seems barebones as all hell. So TS4 will be just like playing TS3...but with less to do. I don't get it. You'll end up doing the same thing anyway.

If I want to play Sims 3, already own a copy in origin but don't own any of the dlc what are my options? Should I wait for a sale to get the dlc cheap? Or is there a decently priced bundle for the dlc? I got Sims 3 for free so it isn't too much of an issue to pay for dlc (up till a point)

Phil4000

I'll probably pick it up a few months after release when the price drops a little, the bugs are ironed out and a few missing features are added back in... :)

If I want to play Sims 3, already own a copy in origin but don't own any of the dlc what are my options? Should I wait for a sale to get the dlc cheap? Or is there a decently priced bundle for the dlc? I got Sims 3 for free so it isn't too much of an issue to pay for dlc (up till a point)
You missed an epic sims sale on origin. The older expansions were $5-9 :x

I'm also interested in Sims 3 DLC packs.

Apparently they were 40 bucks before... now are all retail at 20, which is still over priced..

I'm also interested in Sims 3 DLC packs.

Apparently they were 40 bucks before... now are all retail at 20, which is still over priced..
Do you mean expansion packs? The best ones that add the most content are Pets, Ambitions, Seasons, Late Night and Generations. If any other theme excites you, You can always do research on what it adds to the game. Some are light on the content but the ones listed above are pretty great.

Berordn

Well, a lot of things are missing from the game, but at least it has... Epic Wood!

I really don't get EA's marketing strategy here.

The strategy seems to be "ignore everything about the gameplay and go for memetic so people don't realize it's not the same generational leap TS3 was."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
All expansions add new items, clothes, actions, etc. but they add more stuff and, personally, more than what TS2 did in their expansions (save 1)

My personal must-haves:
Ambitions - adds a lot of new community lot functions, new jobs with unique mechanics, entrepreneurship (a.k.a. registering yourself as a fisherman, gardener, etc. for your profitable skills), a tradeshop, and expanded existing jobs, Simbot
Late Night - adds more social interactions, more community lot activities, celebrity status and Filming career (splits into Acting and Directing), living in an apartment (although only 1 family can occupy it for some odd reason), Vampire
Generations - adds a lot of activities for the "ignored" life stages (toddler/child/elder), schooling, more community lots, lets you run a daycare, Imaginary Friend. This expansion may seem few but it actually adds a really, really big amount and personally I think this is the best expansion for TS3 next to Ambitions
Seasons - adds season and a more changing weather (it only rains before), holidays, fair activities, adds hot and cold, gives The Sims 3 a really moody feel and feel like they exist in some form of time, Alien

Additives: get these if you want to add more variety for Sim living
Pets - adds pets (dog, cat, horse for sim-like pets, lizard, rodents, and bird for "low end" pets), adds wild fauna (actual interactable but not "acquirable" wild animals), adds various interactions with animals and such, horse racing career, Unicorn
Supernatural - adds 3 life states (Werewolf, Fairy, Witch) but also includes Vampire if you don't have it, and expands vampirism a bit more, adds a bunch of paranormal stuff in the game, Fortune Telling career (career split between a genuine Mystic and a Scam Artist) adds new community activities

Adventuring: get these or some if you want off-world adventuring, you may or may not like them because they put you outside of your original world
World Adventures - adds 3 adventure worlds (Paris/Asia/Egypt versions in Sim world), various in-depth activities in each worlds, can even bring tourists and inherit "foreign" genes, and well... among the three this is the best if you can only pick 1, Mummy
University Life - adds university living during young adult state if you prefer, think of the Sims 2 expansion except a bit more expanded, have 3 cliques (nerd, jock and rebel), most of its stuff really is in that world, adds Sports Agent, Video Game Developer (career split between Engineer and Art Designer), and Art Appraiser (split between Acquisitions and Appraiser), PlantSim
Island Adventure - doesn't "add" a new world but rather adds diving spots and hidden islands on existing neighborhoods (if you bother to put them in), or move to the new neighborhood which has them, can now buy "livable boats" which are essentially "house lot on a boat", Lifeguard career, Mermaid
Into the Future - haven't played much on this yet but focuses on time travel, and any action you do in the present affect the future, with stuff like turning something into a dystopian world or a more pleasant world, Astronomer career (split with Astrophycisist and Space Explorer) and Bot Arena (split with Official and Mechanic), Future SimBot

Why did you make this expansion tier: just only one, essentially the worst of them
Showtime - seriously, why couldn't this just be added with Late Night? All it adds really is just the ability to perform (either singing, tricks, or acrobatics). Genie. I think this was made during the boom of "talent shows"

Now, stuff packs are really just item packs and are worthless unless you want a specific set. With that said, if I am going to recommend something, go get Fast Lane. Adds a huge, huge amount of cars.

DedValve

Banned
One thing that struck me was that there wasn't any graphic overrides for TS3. I guess for modders that would have been waaaaay to crazy but I adored TS2 artstyle over TS3.

Berordn

Why did you make this expansion tier: just only one, essentially the worst of them
Showtime - seriously, why couldn't this just be added with Late Night? All it adds really is just the ability to perform (either singing, tricks, or acrobatics). Genie. I think this was made during the boom of "talent shows"

There's also the new neighborhood and the new community lots (some of them tied into the new Ambitions-esque careers) and a decent amount of new objects so it's not quite that terrible, and easily better than any/all of the stuff packs in terms of content.

But yeah it's easily the worst expansion of the set.

McNum

I still want that The Sims 4 I was looking forward to before all the stank started dropping. :(
Yeah.

New interactions, better AI, a compartmentalized open world for increased population on lots and faster initial load times. The ability to make your own world parts from within the game. Sims gradually aging from baby through toddler, child, teen, adult, and finally elder without sparkly jumps between stages.

I'd love to see that game. And Sims 4... isn't that game. Maybe Sims 5. Probably not.

Into the Future - haven't played much on this yet but focuses on time travel, and any action you do in the present affect the future, with stuff like turning something into a dystopian world or a more pleasant world, Astronomer career (split with Astrophycisist and Space Explorer) and Bot Arena (split with Official and Mechanic), Future SimBot

I thought I was done with TS3 expansions but this actually sounds awesome. I guess I'll have to pick this up some time.

Poor TS4 just can't compare.

DedValve

Banned
We still need a more gradual cycle between the ages. Maybe baby through child then a jump to teen then gradual again until elder.

I know there's a mod on TS3 that actually does that but since the base game never intended for that too happen it's pretty experimental. REALLY cool stuff that mod though.

McNum

We still need a more gradual cycle between the ages. Maybe baby through child then a jump to teen then gradual again until elder.

I know there's a mod on TS3 that actually does that but since the base game never intended for that too happen it's pretty experimental. REALLY cool stuff that mod though.
Yeah, the Grow mod for Sims 3 is just crazy. I have no idea how the modder pulled that one off, but it's pretty neat.

All expansions add new items, clothes, actions, etc. but they add more stuff and, personally, more than what TS2 did in their expansions (save 1)

This makes me excited for a few years from now when inevitably The Sims 3 Complete will be around for a reasonable price. In the meantime I've got the complete Sims 1 and Sims 2 if I ever need a fix.

A-V-B

Yeah.

New interactions, better AI, a compartmentalized open world for increased population on lots and faster initial load times. The ability to make your own world parts from within the game. Sims gradually aging from baby through toddler, child, teen, adult, and finally elder without sparkly jumps between stages.

I'd love to see that game. And Sims 4... isn't that game. Maybe Sims 5. Probably not.

Prediction: There will be no Sims 5. There might be a Kickstarter alternative somewhere down the line, but Sims 4 is where it ends for a pretty long time.

Holy crap at that list of features missing. Is this game running on the bare-bones engine or something? Of all the things to not fix it's the long loading times? The hell.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Now, stuff packs are really just item packs and are worthless unless you want a specific set. With that said, if I am going to recommend something, go get Fast Lane. Adds a huge, huge amount of cars.

I think I picked up the Town Life Stuff because I got it pretty cheap- there's some new community buildings which are pretty cool- but other than that I havent bothered with any of the others. Cars in the Sims do nothing for me so Fast Lane's prolly the last one i'd buy.

All of them seem even barer-boned than the Sims 2 packs though- they are very niche I think.

Rafy

Wow, I never had the patience to read this in dettail but I finally did and I am really disappointed. Thank god that I won Sims 3 in a giveaway last year. looks like I'll be expanding the crap out of that one till they fix TS4.

at the initial news of "no pools or toddlers" my wife said
"I dont make pools anyway and the new builder looks awesome"

After all these other pieces of information that has changed to a groan, followed by "I'm just going to buy all the sims 3 stuff instead."

And it's now "They screwed up Sim City and now they fucked up the Sims, Fuck EA" and she doesn't know if she wants anything to do with any of the franchise anymore

Video games are a cruel mistress

GreenLiquid

Neo Member
After buying The Sims 3 pretty long after release during a Steam sale, and playing it with a number of expansions, the planned removals for 4 are just extremely disappointing. Perhaps I should have seen it coming after SimCity though.

At this point I think the best possible turn of events is some sort of indie game with a similar premise to The Sims. It would have to take caution to avoid hitting the proverbial legal beehive, but that a game like Space Colony exists is proof enough for me that it could at least be possible!

Why are you rushing to get to 10 Career then? Seems like you're not enjoying Sims 3 because you're making it into a chore.

Literally all you have to do in Sims 3 is show up for work and you get promotions every 2-3 days. It's rushed by default. It's like they designed the game for 60 day lifespans and there is no scaling. I play around 60 days in young adult stage alone and making it to career 10 in weeks is just broken.

god I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during the dev of this game....

It's so obvious its an "Oh shit.. not another SimCity Abort Abort Abort!" type development... I don't see much that's actually worth DOING in these vids... The missing features, the back pedals on just about everything... Its like the game is half finished with an engine/game that's duct taped together and called "The Sims 4"... ugh

I don't see how the game will even get better with expansion, open world gone, progression pretty much gone. This is like a sims 1 HD remake, just with less features and emotions instead of moodlets.

Yrael

I wish the Sims 3 expansions were cheaper in Australia...even when they go on sale they're still usually $19. :|

Kabouter

god I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during the dev of this game....

It's so obvious its an "Oh shit.. not another SimCity Abort Abort Abort!" type development...
I don't see much that's actually worth DOING in these vids... The missing features, the back pedals on just about everything... Its like the game is half finished with an engine/game that's duct taped together and called "The Sims 4"... ugh

I don't see how the game will even get better with expansion, open world gone, progression pretty much gone. This is like a sims 1 HD remake, just with less features and emotions instead of moodlets.

Yup, they had clearly intended to make it like SimCity, and then when they saw the incredibly negative response to that quickly decided to change the game, probably being forced to drop features along the way to save time. Of course you can't delay it, because shareholders wouldn't like that, so EA apparently decided on releasing a barebones piece of shit.

every time i visit this thread another thing is removed
i wanted to buy this game because of the new style the sims 3 was weird but i think i will wait until is very cheap.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Literally all you have to do in Sims 3 is show up for work and you get promotions every 2-3 days. It's rushed by default. It's like they designed the game for 60 day lifespans and there is no scaling. I play around 60 days in young adult stage alone and making it to career 10 in weeks is just broken.

It's mostly because promotion is based on your work progress, and attending work adds them even if you're unskilled. You could use moreawesomethanyou's mod and use its customization to add difficulty on careers.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As much as I don't like the idea of hoping a game loses money, I feel like it would be the only way to teach EA a lesson about not pulling this kind of shit.

However, the lesson they'd probably take is the wrong one, and I'd fear their solution would be to shut things down instead of fixing the way they do business.

A thread on The Sims 3 forums is keeping a tally of missing features/content.

The counter is at 78 at the time of writing.

No acne
No aliens
No animated hair (in Sims 2)
No aspiration failures (with shrink visit) (in Sims 2)
No babysitters
No bartender (as NPC) (in Sims 2)
No basements (patched into base Sims 3)
No bookstores
No burglars
No cars (including as décor in home)
No cemeteries
No cinema’s (in Sims 2)
No cleaning skill (in Sims 2)
No cloths shopping (in Sims 2)
No color wheel, predefined to ~20 colors
No comfort needs (in Sims 2)
No curfew
No customization of multi-tone hair color (users select only main color)
No dinner proposals (in Sims 2)
No diseases or illness
No dreams (in Sims 2)
No environment needs (in Sims 2)
No eyelash length slider
No favorites (food, color, music)
No fears
No full face make-up (in Sims 2)
No garage doors
No gardeners for hire - Who is going to cut my lawn?
No ghosts (x1) (x2)
No grocery stores
No male body hair (patched into base Sims 3)
No move object cheat
No newspapers
No opacity slider for makeup (patched into base Sims 3)
No party invitations from other Sims (ok this may be a duplicate as it is apparently part of Story Progression)
No private schools (or even on screen schools for that matter)
No rabbit holes at all - Sadly the fix was the sim goes off screen instead of fixing it so the locations were working lots
No random deaths
No repairmen
No repo man - Your toilets are now safe!!!
No restaurants (in Sims 2)
No skin slider
No swimming / swimwear - Including lakes, fountains, etc.
No tragic clown or social bunny
No way to watch the sim commute to work/school
No website for browsing exchange or store (its in-game only)
No Will Wright (in Sims 1 & 2)
No zodiac signs

MISSING OBJECTS: (Were in base versions of Sims 1, Sims 2, or Sims 3. Could certainly return as Premium Content or with Expansions)
No bikes
No changing tables (in Sims 2)
No cribs
No dish washers
No highchairs
No hot tubs
No pool tables (in Sims 1 & 2)
No trash compactors

MOST LIKELY TRUE (not yet confirmed):
No cashier’s (in Sims 2)
No create a world
No exterminator (in Sims 2)
No swings
Premium Membership REQUIRED to get certain sets on release day or at all

STATUS UNCERTAIN (not yet confirmed):
No inheritance (in Sims 2)
No interests (in Sims 2)
No magazines (in Sims 2)
No pinball machines (in Sims 2)
No way to water flower beds / bushes (in Sims 2)
No family trees

Top Bottom