• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

A thread on The Sims 3 forums is keeping a tally of missing features/content.

The counter is at 78 at the time of writing.

That whole list is unfortunate, but no aliens, social bunny or tragic clown? They might as well just say, "NO FUN ALLOWED!"

EA has gone crazy. I just don't understand why they're following the book of How To Kill a Franchise so thoroughly. You would think, as a company, they would learn something after releasing Dragon Age 2, Sim City, (apparently) Battlefield 4 and (soon) Sims 4... I have no words left; there's something fundamentally wrong with EA, and they're not long for this world if they continue down this path.

Good Guy EA is essentially using an old magic technique: they want you to look at their gift-bearing hand, instead of the barren landscape behind them.

Damnit Maxis
1nKsIij.gif

DedValve

Banned
I thought there were face mods?

I just found out that there are skin textures at mod thesis. Waaaaaaay better than the shitty maxis default, quite a few of them has more popped colors like ts2 and even more go for a more realistic and natural skin which looks amazing. Yeah I redownloaded the sims 3 and spent another 5 hours downloading mods and building families and only 20 minutes of play. This series does weird things to me.

EDIT: How the fuck is there still not a size slider? It was in the TS3 in a mod for crying out loud (of course a few animations looked goofy if you went extremely tall but it was a simple mod).

TS4 should have been designed with different sized sims in mind, I can choose fat sims but not short/tall sims?

inky

LOL, I didn't know about no terrain tools. So that means every lot is going to be a flat square. WOW, this is comical now. It shouldn't surprise me after Sim City. Probably too much work so they didn't bother again.

Sims are the same height. Loading screen between lots. Smaller lots and fewer per world, fewer floors in build mode too. No color wheel (together with no CAS) with just a small selection of colors (20?)

Still 32 bit exe when the game is so RAM dependent...

It's like they made this game for tablets or something. It's like they want to fail. WOW. If I was a proper fan still I'd be absolutely pissed.

DedValve

Banned
jesus going through this list....wow.

Any confirmation on memories? I was pissed that genetics and memories went away in TS3 (memories came back but they where not nearly as influential as TS2) as those where 2 of the best features of TS2. Recessive/dominant family genes (not just your immediate parents) and memories.

Toddlers, teen heights and no 64-bit option are what bring this down for me, other than that, it's just a new game.

Sims is hardly your typical game and with so many additions to 3 previous games its hard to get it all in. Too much focus has been on what's missing and not much (EA's fault to be honest) on the good side and what is new. All they say is "Smarter, sillier, emotions blah blah"

Stolen straight from another forum, here is a list of 130+ new (or returning?) things in Sims 4.

I highly doubt Sims 2 had everything Sims had, and so on.

It is worth noting just how well the create-a-sim works. If anyone recently grabbed the demo, you would agree how fast, smooth and easy it is to create sims.

DedValve

Banned
The Urbz and Sims Bustin Out where the shit. Spent way more time than I should have on those before upgrading to TS2 on PC (which was magical). I also bought TS3 day freaking 1.

Man, EA takes away yet another series from me ;-;

Toddlers, teen heights and no 64-bit option are what bring this down for me, other than that, it's just a new game.

Sims is hardly your typical game and with so many additions to 3 previous games its hard to get it all in. Too much focus has been on what's missing and not much (EA's fault to be honest) on the good side and what is new. All they say is "Smarter, sillier, emotions blah blah"

Stolen straight from another forum, here is a list of 130+ new (or returning?) things in Sims 4.

It is worth noting just how well the create-a-sim works. If anyone recently grabbed the demo, you would agree how fast, smooth and easy it is to create sims.

Thats fine and dandy and all but -MAJOR- features are missing such as a seamless world, style creator on literally everything, an entire life stage (technically 2 since toddler isn't a life stage just an item) with a third lifestage essentially being an adult taking their GED, several items and even races (Aliens are gone, can't have black babies), etc.

A sequel is to remove unnecessary or harmful addons from the previous game not go back 2 generations on improvements and add nothing new to the table outside of the new build and create a sim mode. Those are great but what happens when you actually want to play the game?

Darklord

Banned
I was just thinking back to Maxis in their prime. I would buy anything by that company, every game they announced seemed so amazing, I was even a heavy supporter of SimCity up until it's horrific launch. What happened there? I'm not even angry, it's just so disappointing such a fantastic developer fell so hard. At least companies like Bioware have the potential to bring it back but SimCity and then this are just...bad.

Edit: Ok. I didn't know about THESE.

No "normal" careers - Law enforcement, Medical, Business, etc. were removed (x)
NO OPEN WORLD - You can't just walk from house to house without loading screen
Whaaat? I mean...you got rid of the loading screens! How can you go back? You already passed this hurdle!

I agree with most of what you say but I think the world will work out much better. The games start up should remain the same speed as launch. Being able to go anywhere with extreme ease is a benefit. It should not slow down whenever more areas and lots are added.

And a big one for me. I hate that not all towns have all the features and you need to add buildings from new expansions into older towns. Not any more! Never will I have to add the dog park and horse lake or cat nightclub or the dive bar. The fire station?! I couldn't find the acting job once and it was because the building wasn't in the town!

And when the game doesn't have to route an entire town for every single second you're playing, overall performance should be better.

I think I may add the lack of story progression to my dislike, but honestly, I have no idea what this will change.

DedValve

Banned
I agree with most of what you say but I think the world will work out much better. The games start up should remain the same speed as launch. Being able to go anywhere with extreme ease is a benefit. It should not slow down whenever more areas and lots are added.

And a big one for me. I hate that not all towns have all the features and you need to add buildings from new expansions into older towns. Not any more! Never will I have to add the dog park and horse lake or cat nightclub or the dive bar. The fire station?! I couldn't find the acting job once and it was because the building wasn't in the town!

And when the game doesn't have to route an entire town for every single second you're playing, overall performance should be better.

I think I may add the lack of story progression to my dislike, but honestly, I have no idea what this will change.

You know you can add buildings in towns? Maybe you couldn't at first and they patched it but you can add any community lot and expansion building provided you have that expansion pack.

And the smaller world is not good....at all. It's literally going back to the sims 1, 2 generations worth of improvements being ignored. For all its faults a seamless world and heavy story progression system made TS3 a massive improvement over TS2. Now the world will be lifeless once more with only aging happening.

It makes no sense, this feels more like a spinoff designed for consoles than anything.

You know you can add buildings in towns?

I do (I did mention it), and I found having to do it quite annoying.

"Days have been confirmed to last longer so that you can get more things done in a game day"

I hope this means my Sim can eat and poop or more before he goes to work. Looks like the time will work better. Fast time in Sims 1 & 2 flew by and the Sims actually did things quickly. Sims 3, they started taking longer, Sim would get out of bed and it would take 10 minutes! Then as more was added, routing problems rendering the game unplayable without Nrass (thanks, whoever you are) and Sims just standing for 20 minutes before doing something. Sims 3 is so broken.

Koomaster

Surprises for me from that list...
No cemeteries? - Wat really? So without story progression, families will die off if you don't play them. But there is no tombstone or gravesite you can create/visit either?

No basements? - I guess I shouldn't be as surprised at this as I am considering there are no pools. Those plus no terrain tools leads me to believe the engine simply can't handle any alternation of the flat ground lots.

No babysitters? - Why? What happens when mom and dad have to both be at work. Will the baby just look after itself?

No repairman? - So does your home just get zero visitors now? No burglars, no repoman, no babysitters, and no repairman either? I really don't understand this. If my home catches on fire can I at least count on a fireman showing up or do I just let everything burn down? But aside from that, I have read about the new repair system and how you have to scavenge for parts and such to repair something. I like the idea behind that. But sometimes I just want to call someone to fix stuff for me, especially if a couple things break at once, I don't have time for my sim to repair everything. And with repairing being even more difficult, no repairman.. I just don't understand this.

No Family trees? - What is the damn point of this game? Why even bother releasing it in this state?

Premium Membership REQUIRED to get certain sets on release day or at all - Oh right, money. That's the point.

DedValve

Banned
wait no family trees? Holy shit I missed that!

Thats like....well that all but confirms no genetics...I mean wow that destroys anyone that loves to legacy play (have multiple generations within a family). Then again so is the lack of life stages.

Revven

Holy hell, what? People have already quoted other things I can't believe (hell, the vast majority of that list is surprising) but they're removing a cheat? What?

This entire thing. No words. I just can't.

Yeah that made me do a double take as well -- are the other cheats gone as well? Surprised it didn't say whether kaching or motherlode were still in (they must be if they weren't listed, I guess?)

McNum

Yeah that made me do a double take as well -- are the other cheats gone as well? Surprised it didn't say whether kaching or motherlode were still in (they must be if they weren't listed, I guess?)
Kaching, motherlode, rosebud, freerealestate, and the ever so popular testingcheats cheat codes are still in. Moveobjects is not.

Moveobjects allows you to ignore placement restriciotns in the other games,generally most useful for decorating so you can have plants and rocks overlap, but also nice for moving that which should not be picked up and moved. Like Sims. Just watch out you don't delete them.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, this game is even more of a trainwreck than Sim City which is an accomplishment on itself.

Bet that they're gonna take the low sales as "oh well, people don't like these games anymore" rather than "we fucked up".

Carcetti

I hate everything I hear about this game except new face generator. Cripes. Maybe I should reinstall Sims 3, this time modded, and just play that. Anyone got a list of the current "don't miss these" mods?

SummitAve

Banned
I'm remaining optimistic. They've been needing to go back to basics before building the game up again. There is no use in any of that stuff if the core game runs like crap.

I don't even know who to be mad at anymore. Is it EA, is it Maxis, is it both? The "we're actively supporting mods" thing feels like they're missing the gigantic bullet point of what makes people invest hundreds of hours into it in other games and series which is they like playing it in the first place. Hell, I could overlook some of the omissions if it hadn't become so egregious at this point. If EA can commit to keeping games in its Access Vault forever, can I at least get a pool so I can drown myself if I ever break down and actually buy this thing? It's an emotional expression which is what they want to be the main feature right? At least it fits their core goal.

Revven

Kaching, motherlode, rosebud, freerealestate, and the ever so popular testingcheats cheat codes are still in. Moveobjects is not.

Moveobjects allows you to ignore placement restriciotns in the other games,generally most useful for decorating so you can have plants and rocks overlap, but also nice for moving that which should not be picked up and moved. Like Sims. Just watch out you don't delete them.

I'm aware of what the cheat does lol.

That's why I was surprised that it's gone -- it was probably the most useful cheat (for me, at least).

I think there's been an appropriate focus considering how many and significant the downgrades are. Like, three traits instead of five has a major impact on the type of personalities you can create. It's a fundamental change for the worse. It doesn't matter what other stuff there is that's new, there's nothing that can make up for that. Simplifying the sims in a game called The Sims is...
28465-Jerry-Seinfeld-leaves-gif-yxqm.gif

The exclusion of the Moveobjects cheat is one of the biggest downsides of the title for me.

I loved designing houses, and Moveobjects allows you to fix simple problems and design your houses however you see fit.

So this:

won't be possible because the green placement limitations overlap with the wall.

These diagonal countertops? Nope.

Putting the dishwasher inside the diagonal countertops? Nope again.

Decorating this table with flower pots?

Or this TV / Bookshelf combination?

Or this fountain?

Nope.

Even simple things like putting this TV so close to this chair...would normally be impossible:

And not even a goddamn toilet paper roll can be placed properly either.

If The Sims 4 really doesn't support any type of free movement cheat, I really hope mods will be able to fix it....because if not, The Sims 4 suffers a huge blow to creativity in user designs because of that cheat removal.

Any essential expansions? I'm just about to buy the main game and I might as well pick up the best expansions as well.

There was a good list in this thread somewhere, but I can't find it. Just be sure to avoid avoid the stuff packs, and possibly Showtime (which doesn't add a whole lot).

Edit: D'oh, here it is on the previous page:

All expansions add new items, clothes, actions, etc. but they add more stuff and, personally, more than what TS2 did in their expansions (save 1)

My personal must-haves:
Ambitions - adds a lot of new community lot functions, new jobs with unique mechanics, entrepreneurship (a.k.a. registering yourself as a fisherman, gardener, etc. for your profitable skills), a tradeshop, and expanded existing jobs, Simbot
Late Night - adds more social interactions, more community lot activities, celebrity status and Filming career (splits into Acting and Directing), living in an apartment (although only 1 family can occupy it for some odd reason), Vampire
Generations - adds a lot of activities for the "ignored" life stages (toddler/child/elder), schooling, more community lots, lets you run a daycare, Imaginary Friend. This expansion may seem few but it actually adds a really, really big amount and personally I think this is the best expansion for TS3 next to Ambitions
Seasons - adds season and a more changing weather (it only rains before), holidays, fair activities, adds hot and cold, gives The Sims 3 a really moody feel and feel like they exist in some form of time, Alien

Additives: get these if you want to add more variety for Sim living
Pets - adds pets (dog, cat, horse for sim-like pets, lizard, rodents, and bird for "low end" pets), adds wild fauna (actual interactable but not "acquirable" wild animals), adds various interactions with animals and such, horse racing career, Unicorn
Supernatural - adds 3 life states (Werewolf, Fairy, Witch) but also includes Vampire if you don't have it, and expands vampirism a bit more, adds a bunch of paranormal stuff in the game, Fortune Telling career (career split between a genuine Mystic and a Scam Artist) adds new community activities

Adventuring: get these or some if you want off-world adventuring, you may or may not like them because they put you outside of your original world
World Adventures - adds 3 adventure worlds (Paris/Asia/Egypt versions in Sim world), various in-depth activities in each worlds, can even bring tourists and inherit "foreign" genes, and well... among the three this is the best if you can only pick 1, Mummy
University Life - adds university living during young adult state if you prefer, think of the Sims 2 expansion except a bit more expanded, have 3 cliques (nerd, jock and rebel), most of its stuff really is in that world, adds Sports Agent, Video Game Developer (career split between Engineer and Art Designer), and Art Appraiser (split between Acquisitions and Appraiser), PlantSim
Island Adventure - doesn't "add" a new world but rather adds diving spots and hidden islands on existing neighborhoods (if you bother to put them in), or move to the new neighborhood which has them, can now buy "livable boats" which are essentially "house lot on a boat", Lifeguard career, Mermaid
Into the Future - haven't played much on this yet but focuses on time travel, and any action you do in the present affect the future, with stuff like turning something into a dystopian world or a more pleasant world, Astronomer career (split with Astrophycisist and Space Explorer) and Bot Arena (split with Official and Mechanic), Future SimBot

Why did you make this expansion tier: just only one, essentially the worst of them
Showtime - seriously, why couldn't this just be added with Late Night? All it adds really is just the ability to perform (either singing, tricks, or acrobatics). Genie. I think this was made during the boom of "talent shows"

Now, stuff packs are really just item packs and are worthless unless you want a specific set. With that said, if I am going to recommend something, go get Fast Lane. Adds a huge, huge amount of cars.

Edit2: While I'm at it, I might as well add that I had no idea moveobjects added so much to the game. I wish I had known about when I was playing, as it would have saved me from a few spots of bother.

Any essential expansions? I'm just about to buy the main game and I might as well pick up the best expansions as well.

People are saying good things about Ambitions, Seasons, Pets, and Generations.

10 bucks per expansion is still too much imo. I can't believe these things originally retailed for 40 bucks.

McNum

If The Sims 4 really doesn't support any type of free movement cheat, I really hope mods will be able to fix it....because if not, The Sims 4 suffers a huge blow to creativity in user designs because of that cheat removal.
I suppose this is a bad time to mention that there are no terrain modification tools, all lots are flat, and you're limited to three floors in The Sims 4, then?

Well, I suppose there's no good time to mention that.

I dunno the jobs look a lot like "classes" to me with skill tress for different builds, + the instancing on everything (ie loading screens), offline mmo...

A-V-B

Holy shit. That list goes on and on. That's half of the goddamn entirety of every Sims game put together. Sims 4 is insanely, absurdly, almost impossibly crippled. What is actually IN this game at all? What is the feature they're banking this on? Even CAS and Create-a-house, with their new features, are disabled as hell because of their lack of depth.

What a disaster. Imagine being on this dev team, knowing you're going to have to release this anyway.

Please, someone, create a competitor and put this sad, sick dog out of its misery.

No babysitters? - Why? What happens when mom and dad have to both be at work. Will the baby just look after itself?

Babies have the same needs as televisions, apparently. They're literally props.

A-V-B

EA has gone crazy. I just don't understand why they're following the book of How To Kill a Franchise so thoroughly. You would think, as a company, they would learn something after releasing Dragon Age 2, Sim City, (apparently) Battlefield 4 and (soon) Sims 4... I have no words left; there's something fundamentally wrong with EA, and they're not long for this world if they continue down this path.

Actually, the incredible thing is they're so huge and own exclusive rights to so many massive properties (FIFA, Madden, Star Wars, Battlefield) that they will continue to exist until the game industry crashes. Nothing can take them down but the total implosion of the market. Which is precisely why they can keep risking the cannibalization of all their other products as long as those bigger properties I mentioned have automatic income flow. And how do you stop the ingrained, universal popularity in the markets that purchase FIFA, Madden and Star Wars? Markets which are global -- except maybe Madden, but that's so hilariously huge anyway that it doesn't matter. They're all gonna be around for a very long time.

The only threat to EA is to the individuals who work in it. With enough failure, you'll just see a shuffling of hands. Different CEO, etc... like minor organ transplants. And huge dev team layoffs happen all the time regardless. EA as a system will continue to exist without any specific combinations of human talent.

Koomaster

I suppose this is a bad time to mention that there are no terrain modification tools, all lots are flat, and you're limited to three floors in The Sims 4, then?

Well, I suppose there's no good time to mention that.
Didn't read they were limiting houses to only 3 floors. So no apartment style buildings or extreme mansions. That coupled with no basements means not a lot of vertical space to work with. Hope the lot sizes aren't shrunk as well.

Also moveobjects being gone is a bummer as well. I usually found some neat way to incorporate that into my builds. If objects didn't adhere so rigidly to their boundaries it wouldn't be that big of an issue. Still would be better to have it in.

Seriously all the restrictions and features removed makes me wonder about this game. People have talked about it being an mmo of sorts before SimCity fiasco happened. But this is sounding more and more like an upscaled version of their Sims Facebook game.

Didn't read they were limiting houses to only 3 floors. So no apartment style buildings or extreme mansions. That coupled with no basements means not a lot of vertical space to work with. Hope the lot sizes aren't shrunk as well.

Also moveobjects being gone is a bummer as well. I usually found some neat way to incorporate that into my builds. If objects didn't adhere so rigidly to their boundaries it wouldn't be that big of an issue. Still would be better to have it in.

Seriously all the restrictions and features removed makes me wonder about this game. People have talked about it being an mmo of sorts before SimCity fiasco happened. But this is sounding more and more like an upscaled version of their Sims Facebook game.
The lot sizes are shrunk as well.
The biggest lots are 50x50. The Sims 4 does not have 64x64 lot at this time. The park [Magnolia Blossom, 6th "neighborhood" in Willow Creek] is a 50x50 lot."
http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/88790016451/the-sims-4-neighborhood-the-sims-4-world-has.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone gives his elevator pitch why we should pay premium to upgrade to The Sims 4:

"I know you’ve already heard and read the official "pitch" from numerous places, so instead I’ll offer this… Four main entries into the franchise and it becomes more of a challenge to explain the nuances of what’s different from one to the next. For example, we say something along the line of, "hey, these new emotions Sims have are pretty rad", and people counter with, "but my Sims have always had emotions". Well… ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before. But the conversation then changes into discussing what is or isn’t there and the minutiae of differences in each feature along some scale because the easiest way to try and understand something new is to compare and contrast it to what came before. Looking at a list of features on paper may tell you what you can expect to find in the game, but it doesn’t tell you if it’s fun to play. That said, if there’s something that’s not in the game at launch and that’s a deal breaker for you then I understand and respect your decision, and I hope you’ll give the game another look down the line.

What encourages me is speaking with players after they’ve had some hands on time with the game to wrap their head around those differences and better understand what it brings to the overall experience. I wasn’t involved in any official way in the Creator’s Camp, but I poked my head in a few times to get a general sense of how things were going, and I came away with the impression that a lot of the talking points we’ve used to discuss what this game is were being validated and appreciated after people had time to play. I personally find myself enjoying the deep socialization between Sims and the enhanced sense of an intimate community of neighbors and friends. Those were aspects of The Sims 3 that never particularly resonated with me, so in a number of ways The Sims 4 evolved my Sims experience to offer something more than just a five year leap in technology.”

That flat world with six neighbourhoods of five lots, the removal of Create-a-Style, life stages, visitors, vehicles, careers, pools, basements etc. is just focusing on the 'minutiae of differences.'

EA's marketing for Sims 4 is going to be entirely BS, I know, but there's nothing about the Sims 4 that is evolutionary. Evolution is an improvement, aberration, or vestige from its previous incarnations and there is very little of the Sims 1, 2, or 3 in the Sims 4, which leads me to believe that the Sims 4 is an entirely different species. Perhaps if you go back far enough they look similar... but currently (if the situation is truly "evolutionary") I'd describe it as a man vs. ape situation. Whatever similarities they shared, it was a looong time ago.

Your move, EA.

JoeBoy101

Using the Creator's Camp as validation. Riiiggghhhttt...

EA Shindig for specific websites and other devoted fans that is closely monitored and planned is an accurate portrayal of the public?

And the funny thing is that, even still, the participants have had to parse their praise with other things coming out of the camp, like the lack of object matching.

No.

But this is just ludicrous. Nardone can bloviate all he likes, but we aren't talk minor differences here. Sims 3 had 2 big features: Open World, Story progession. One was removed and the other was neutered. That's effectively walking your game back to Sims 2 in functionality. Then there's all the other stuff missing. Is he really trying to say all these missing features from BASE (Key Word) game to base game were dropped as decisions rationalized that they didn't add to the game? Or that they didn't think it was important or a priority?

ZombieSupaStar said:
I dunno the jobs look a lot like "classes" to me with skill tress for different builds, + the instancing on everything (ie loading screens), offline mmo...

The only explanation that makes sense.

Lurker PRime said:
EA's marketing for Sims 4 is going to be entirely BS, I know, but there's nothing about the Sims 4 that is evolutionary. Evolution is an improvement, aberration, or vestige from its previous incarnations and there is very little of the Sims 1, 2, or 3 in the Sims 4, which leads me to believe that the Sims 4 is an entirely different species. Perhaps if you go back far enough they look similar... but currently (if the situation is truly "evolutionary") I'd describe it as a man vs. ape situation. Whatever similarities they shared, it was a looong time ago.

The funny thing is that if they just cleaned up the base game, with the exact same features and functionality, with the graphics engine as presented, I probably would have bought it. I even would have accepted the loss of open world for a good CAS, build mode, and such.

Top Bottom