• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

The humanity!

"While we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won't be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we're building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come," he said.

Letting your Sims enter backyard pools and then removing any exits — thereby trapping them within and dooming them to a shallow, watery grave — has long been a sadistic pastime of The Sims players. So it's not surprising that some Sims fans weren't thrilled to hear this news. Comments on Vaughan's blog post range from tolerant to disappointed to irate.

The Sims 4 will launch without pools and toddlers, and Sims fans are very upset

Referring to Sims 4 as the "Base Game" and calling it a "foundation" when justifying omissions is veering a little too close to actually acknowledging the sadistic relationship EA/Maxis has with their customers. The first step is admitting it.

I started this post hours ago before getting sidetracked at work and didn't find anything in a search then but it may have been posted since. So drown me in my swimming pool if old, I guess.

A-V-B

At least we can thank them for confirming that Sims 4 won't be worth picking up until Sims 5 is announced.

Sims 5 will never exist as its own game. EA will discover the optimum microtransaction strategy, and no new games need to be made.

MayMay

Banned
As I wrote in the other one already,

Fuck you Maxis. You're now on my shitlist. Can't even blame EA for shit like that, - that was Maxis. Removing pools. They were the most important thing in Sims since forever :p

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think they're just fucking with us now. Like seeing how far they can take it before people start murdering each other. We are their Sims and they are starting to slowly trap us in a room with no doors.

Maybe they're working on a revolutionary multiplayer system where you can only level your Sims' skills with the help of 15 of your Origin friends.

A-V-B

The ability to die from emotion. No seriously, go watch the E3 presentation. Your sims can happy themselves to death, it's a thing now.

Wait 24 hours to see if your Sim beats the Grim Reaper, or pay 4.99 to guarantee resurrection now!

Wiktor

This makes me very sad. The only time I played the series was the first and the only thing I did was find new ways to murder my sims, one of which was getting them into pools and removing the ladders.

I'll hunt up the other thread to get more info on what's going on and add in my distaste, but this is terrible. Not the fact that toddlers and swimming pools are out, but by the wording. Seems clear that they plan to monetize a lot of aspects through cannibalizing what would be a core Sims title.

What I saw at E3 didn't give me any interest, but I have been wanting to try out a Sims game since the last one I played was the original.

Wait, so how the hell do you have a kid in the game? Do you birth a teenager?

Well, I just got Sims 3 for $6 on Steam sale and haven't played Sims for a long time (1 and 2 when I was a teenager, which my ex stole lol), so I've got that to scratch my Sims itch if I need to. Similarly My Sim City 3000 disc works, so whatever EA.
I'm happy to continue ignoring everything you do.

A-V-B

Capella

Wait, so how the hell do you have a kid in the game? Do you birth a teenager?

Well, I just got Sims 3 for $6 on Steam sale and haven't played Sims for a long time (1 and 2 when I was a teenager, which my ex stole lol), so I've got that to scratch my Sims itch if I need to. Similarly My Sim City 3000 disc works, so whatever EA.
I'm happy to continue ignoring everything you do.

No, it means the life stages are now: baby -> child -> teen -> young adult -> adult -> elder

Riki

EA continues to be the worst video game company ever.
Hope no one is really looking forwads to Mirror's Edge 2.
"Pay $5 to jump once!"

A-V-B

EA continues to be the worst video game company ever.
Hope no one is really looking forwads to Mirror's Edge 2.
"Pay $5 to jump once!"

I'm waiting to see what part of production burns that IP to cinders. I'll be very surprised if it's anywhere near solidly executed without totally backstabbing some part of their fanbase.

After that E3 trailer that bordered on psychopathy I'm surprised, to be honest. I was expecting/hoping this would be the best Sims game for playing a cruel, cruel god.

It makes me sad to see all this Maxis hate when its really EA at fault here. Maxis hasn't worked on The Sims series since about halfway through The Sims 2's life cycle. EA just brought their name back a few years ago with The Sims 3: Pets expansion pack to makr people think they were working on the game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Reminds me of R* removing the ability to hogtie a Nun and leave her on the railroad in Red Dead Redemption.

Longshot

This sucks and shouldn't be a surprise from any developer under EA.

My sister will be disappointed when I tell her, she may wanna wait a bit and continue with The Sims 3.

MayMay

Banned
It makes me sad to see all this Maxis hate when its really EA at fault here. Maxis hasn't worked on The Sims series since about halfway through The Sims 2's life cycle. EA just brought their name back a few years ago with The Sims 3: Pets expansion pack to makr people think they were working on the game.

Oh damn, good to know - I figured it has always been Maxis but apparently not

OmegaDL50

If they were to add every since feature from the past game + expansion, how big would the game be?

Let met see.....just a sec.

6n5gy8M.jpg

Considering I don't have the two newest expansions and I don't ever buy stuff packs (Will only get them if they are free, like the one I got from an Origin promotion for Sims 15th Anniversary)

What I have now is just shy of 29GB. Guesstimating the two other expansions being an additional 2 to 3GB each, I'd say the full Sims 3 experience not including stuff packs would weigh about 34GB total.

Also I didn't buy this at full price, It was heavily discounted. Actually took advantage of (Buy Base game get 1 free expansion, and the other expansions I grabbed when they were on sale for $10 or less)

I think I'm happy with what Sims 3 offers despite some performance and loading issues.There is nothing I've seen that suggests Sims 4 offers an entirely new gameplay experience or natural evolution to the series in terms of base game features. When already things are being removed prior to the games release, this seems to be just another Sim City bullshit fiasco all over again. Nope, not buying.

A slight graphical upgrade is not substantial enough for existing Sims 3 owners to make the jump. Hell I'd probably not budge for even performance improvements.

Maybe...just maybe I'll grab it if I find it for like 90% off on Origin. (Not likely)

RevoDS

Seriously?

I could understand if they aren't ready to release these features, although in that case they should either delay the game or offer them as a free update later on.

Chances are, though, it's a money grab and they'll release a "Let's swim with toddlers" EP. Or worse: two separate EPs.

wapplew

Just curious, what is the standard feature set you must include when you make a sequel?
All feature in previous base game? All feature including those added on DLC?

Top Bottom