• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

trinest

The SimCity design philosophy. Modern Maxis bums me the fuck out, what a complete and utter fall from grace.

I really hope its not as broken.

Each Sims series really follows the same remove stuff release same expansion pack philosophy, you would think at this point I'd learn my lesson.

Lijik

SimCity has trained me to wait for the Maxis Catch and here it is.

Nowhere near as bad as forced always online and multiplayer in simcity but baffling and a turnoff nonetheless

I really hope its not as broken.

Each Sims series really follows the same remove stuff release same expansion pack philosophy, you would think at this point I'd learn my lesson.

Sims 2 tried to diversify things quite a bit. I mean yes it had a pet-themed, vacation-themed, and downtown-themed expansion pack that were thematically the same as Unleashed, Vacation, and Hot Date expansions from Sims 1, but the Sims 2 takes on the expansions were vastly different and, for the most part, added features in a different way or focused on different features.

Sims 3 is when the recycling really got out of hand. It recycled tons of ideas and themes from Sims 1 and 2, didn't even bother re-naming the Pets and Seasons expansion names.

I guess what I'm saying is, the idea recycling was a bit iffy in Sims 2. It was full on blatant and shameless in Sims 3. In Sims 4 it'll probably get even worse.

Capella

I've really been looking forward to the Sims 4 up until the bad news broke, and now I'm not sure if I will be buying it when it comes out.

Create-A-Style being missing I've been OK with, especially if it was for performance reasons. I don't know about anyone else but loading up CAS and then going into Create-A-Style seemed to take forever with or without mods... As much as I loved having the option to make each piece of clothing or object look unique, I'm not too sad about it being gone.

Not having toddlers and pools though? Pools have been a part of the base game since The Sims and toddlers since the Sims 2. I think most people at least expect some of the base game features to make it into the game. I hope that if these do come later, it's through a free update like some of the Sims 3 expansion features but seeing this in the survey from EA awhile ago doesn't give me a lot of hope:

Pool & Jacuzzi
Create for your Sims the most beautiful pool that is with slides, diving boards, ball games and water volleyball. Personalize range Jacuzzis for two to eight people, and install a pool bar!

I thought it was suspicious a base game feature was being shown as an option for a DLC Pack/Stuff Pack/Expansion but I hoped it was just some kind of stuff pack with additional themed objects. Looking at this and some of the other options in that survey makes worried about what else isn't in the base game.

JLeack

Banned
I don't really know what to say. The Sims 4 looks so good to me. Maybe not every franchise needs to incorporate features from their previous iterations to be great?

mreddie

That's actually half a decade ago - there's a different one floating around that's more cut up and accurate to today's market.

original.jpg

Pudge

As someone who has had very little contact with The Sims outside of a few hours messing around with my sister's copy of the very first game, a question comes to mind. Considering the expansive mods and expansions available for the past three games, is there any reason to move on to this one? I compare it so something like Call of Duty, which at the very least has a suite of new maps and a few weapons in it every year. What new furniture or buildings could they possibly be adding after 14 years that makes a new game release appealing, especially when you take this kind of behavior under consideration. It kind of sounds like a Windows 8 proposition to me.

fader

LMAO thats even better!!!

As someone who has had very little contact with The Sims outside of a few hours messing around with my sister's copy of the very first game, a question comes to mind. Considering the expansive mods and expansions available for the past three games, is there any reason to move on to this one? I compare it so something like Call of Duty, which at the very least has a suite of new maps and a few weapons in it every year. What new furniture or buildings could they possibly be adding after 14 years that makes a new game release appealing, especially when you take this kind of behavior under consideration. It kind of sounds like a Windows 8 proposition to me.

Yeah that's why I am happy seeing a lot of Sims fans become more vocal about this because when they pulled this on sims 3 people barely complained.

I've played Sims since the first one on my crappy family HP desktop and after Sims 3 and this I see no reason to continue with the serious. I mean look at what they're advertising for the game. their hook is that you can play Play-Doh with a Sims features, thats their MAIN hook. Why would any Sims fan be excited about The Sims 4?

So if I were to buy Sims 2 with all the dlc, would i really be missing anything significant that these new ones have added? Because it constantly just seems like they've been removing and reintroducing features to this series.

Was thinking about getting back into the series again with this title. It's not looking very likely now though.

Maybe I'll just get one of the others with all of the expansion packs. It shouldn't be too expensive for the older ones by now.

Pudge

It was also announced that the game will not support a 64bit client and will be limited to 4GB of RAM for the foreseeable future... disappointing to say the least, considering the game will be around 5+ years...

WHAAAA

That's straight up madness.

BeerSnob

It was also announced that the game will not support a 64bit client and will be limited to 4GB of RAM for the foreseeable future... disappointing to say the least, considering the game will be around 5+ years...

Has EA let Maxis go outside in the last decade? They do know it's 2014, right?

Dryk

I saw bits of their E3 presentation and it screamed "We're making the same promises as with SimCity but we swear not to lie this time". So I'm not surprised this shit is happening.

Phil4000

From Twitter:

Graham Nardone · @SimGuruGraham
@crinrict I asked about this recently. We won't have a 64 bit exe; it's fairly uncommon for games. Our lead ENG explained to me why Sims 4 wouldn't particularly benefit from it and it sounded quite reasonable, but I'm not comfortable enough discussing tech to try and repeat his explanation.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ndumm2

arhra

Why would you even play the Sims if you can't drown them in their own swimming pool?

Next you'll be telling me that the new one won't let you lock them in a room with no doors and watch them slowly starve to death/go insane.

fader

From Twitter:

Graham Nardone · @SimGuruGraham
@crinrict I asked about this recently. We won't have a 64 bit exe; it's fairly uncommon for games. Our lead ENG explained to me why Sims 4 wouldn't particularly benefit from it and it sounded quite reasonable, but I'm not comfortable enough discussing tech to try and repeat his explanation.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ndumm2

yea, well chalk this up as another franchise Maxis killed for me.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
Welp, I guess I'll just jump on getting the the rest of the Sims 3 expansions for dirt cheap instead of paying $60 for another barebones game.

Phil4000

The engine is probably Direct X9 only as well, gotta support that 2% of the PC Gaming user base who still use it.... :/

MayMay

Banned

Teddified

I find the Gamestop and Bestbuy parts kinda funny, while annoying sure, they in no way take up more than like 1% of the game usually if even that. Retail stuff is always just early unlock, skin, vehicle, or weapon and maybe sometimes a short level that has no story relevance.

It was also announced that the game will not have a 64bit client and will be limited to 4GB of RAM for the foreseeable future... Disappointing to say the least, considering the game will be around 5+ years...
http://simsvip.com/2014/06/26/the-sims-4-utilizes-a-32-bit-executable/

32bit-300x300.png

No 64bit client even though 80%+ of Steam users have support for 64bit....
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

What!? Even fucking WoW has a god damn 64 bit client ffs. Sims has sunk so low as to swimming pools not being in the base game now? I have to admit I was excited for starting fresh with a new Sims game but EA and Maxis can fuck right off.

inky

No pools, LOL.

Can we start predicting expansions already: Pool Party, Seasons, Daycare, Pets, Night Life, Some Magic related shit, Vacations, etc.

They've got the market cornered on this kind of life sim game, so it's kind of a shame that they can pull this kind of shit and know they'll still make a profit. The base game alone is fun enough and the new build tools and create-a-sim tools look pretty innovative -- for me personally, I don't think I care enough about toddlers or pools for this to be a huge issue, but it certainly is indicative of a worrying trend.

Top Bottom