• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maxis is, yet again, removing basic features from new Sims 4

Pudge

They've got the market cornered on this kind of life sim game, so it's kind of a shame that they can pull this kind of shit and know they'll still make a profit. The base game alone is fun enough and the new build tools and create-a-sim tools look pretty innovative -- for me personally, I don't think I care enough about toddlers or pools for this to be a huge issue, but it certainly is indicative of a worrying trend.

First they came for our pools, and I did not speak out, for I was not a swimmer.
Then they came for our toddlers, and I did not speak out, for I was a bachelor.
Finally, they came for my money, and there was no one left to tell me not to buy.

kingkitty

Such fucken bullshit.

I guess concentrating on toddlers and pools would take away precious resources that have to be used on dlc.

D-Pad

Best Sim/Strategy Series Ever:
RollerCoaster Tycoon
SimCity
The Sims

I got nothing left! This sucks. Life sucks.

Ultimadrago

Without pools how are you even expected to throw a party and delete the ladder and drown the fuck out of everyone

image9nkxa.png

Well, if Maxis doesn't want to release a full content Sims sequel, I guess I'll just wait five years and buy the Sims 4 Super Bundle that adds everything back in and not give them any money until then.

Pudge

Best Sim/Strategy Series Ever:
RollerCoaster Tycoon
SimCity
The Sims

I got nothing left! This sucks. Life sucks.

Tropico is still pretty fun IMO. That's the only one of these types of games I can think of that is still in active development though.

li bur

Despicable.

I don't know what's stopping them for doing the toddlers and pools stuff. They had the old game codes and design. I guess they fucked up with their schedule.

Despicable.

I don't know what's stopping them for doing the toddlers and pools stuff. They had the old game codes and design. I guess they fucked up with their schedule.

Clear as day they are purposely keeping this stuff out of the base game to leech more money from people via expansion packs.

Coolluck

I was going to make a joke about them removing kids next but geeze the lack of toddlers is already a step in that direction. My excitement level for this game has plummeted. Guess I'll wait 5 years for a cheap Deluxe Edition that should be the actual Sims 4.

Ugh, I really want to play this and was expecting some features to not make it because it is a new Sims game after all but no pools(wtf) or toddlers? Going to be very cautious about the game now.

For real?!? :(

I've luckily kept my original copy of the game and all of the expansion packs as well

I guess I ought to hit up Half Price Books. They always have oldass Sims 2 expansions for cheap. I'm thinking of just buying up as many as I can and just bunkering up because it seems like it was the pinnacle of the series.

I guess I ought to hit up Half Price Books. They always have oldass Sims 2 expansions for cheap. I'm thinking of just buying up as many as I can and just bunkering up because it seems like it was the pinnacle of the series.

Sims 3 is a better, more involved game with the rather major issue of the engine totally not being able to support all the expansions and randomly breaking apart performance wise. Although I haven't tried it since I've had my 780 Ti, but I imagine there's nothing that can fix it.

Cheddahz

Banned

You might as well do it. I still need to track down another copy of Open for Business (cause I'm somehow missing that one and that one is my favorite expansion pack for The Sims 2)

Sims 3 is a better, more involved game with the rather major issue of the engine totally not being able to support all the expansions and randomly breaking apart performance wise. Although I haven't tried it with my new 780 Ti, but I imagine there's nothing that can fix it.

I have Sims 3 and Nightlife (and some stuff packs I got from that one time Origin was glitched and gave every sub $20 game for free). I like Sims 3 enough, and I think it's the "funnest" Sims game given how they game-ified many aspects. But the fact that I lack a lot of content from the expansions, the fact that there's still a shortage of objects in many categories despite the stuff packs I have, the ridiculously poor performance makes me feel like the complete version of Sims 2 is just a better overall experience.

Karak

My quick thoughts as a Sims Fan Rant

But long story short the lack of effort is directly proportional to the amount they think they can get away with. As a fan I have also been a part of that and since these fuckers rarely go on sale many times they have got the full price from me.

Never again.

A-V-B

32 bit to discourage modding, no create-a-style to encourage dlc purchasing.

Sims 4 might as well be free to play. RIP Maxis.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still play the first Sims game. Man, I love that game. I was thinking of buying Sims 4.

This news makes me want to get Sims 3 and stop there. No pools makes it a little less fun to torture my Sims.

A head-scratcher for sure.

I mean expansion packs with weird furniture and clothing are one thing, but taking out features of a game that never provided a negative impact to the series? Huh.

I wonder if this will be as poorly optimized as 3 was, wouldn't be surprised.

Xerotwo

They haven't learned their lesson on screwing their own franchises.

Exactly what the hell are both them and EA thinking, releasing half-baked games like that?

A-V-B

They haven't learned their lesson on screwing their own franchises.

Exactly what the hell are both them and EA thinking, releasing half-baked games like that?

It won't really matter for The Sims, since for this one they're aiming for the "press a button, something pretty happens" casual demographic. And they'll get it.

A truly moddable, user-supportive, content-encouraging big budget game is practically a ghost these days.

Im surprised people buy this crap anymore.

Wait 3 years, and then buy the "Game of the year gold deluxe edition" for $19.99 featuring the game, 4 expansion packs and "over $300 in DLC value!"

......or wait one more year and get all that, plus 4 more expansion packs on the humble bundle website for $5.

Its not just EA.

Civ 5 pulled this same crap. Really, a religion expansion pack, a feature that was in the original Civ 4?

Top Bottom