• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell now says American people will not tolerate blocking Supreme Court nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

McConnell's comments come the day after Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Tuesday that "if [Republicans] don't appoint somebody good, we're going to oppose them tooth and nail," in part as retaliation for Senate Republicans' refusal to consider President Barack Obama's nomination of U.S. Appeals Judge Merrick Garland to the court.

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, McConnell wryly called Schumer's comment an "expansion" of the so-called "Biden rule," a reference to comments then-Sen. Joe Biden made in 1992 arguing against holding confirmation hearings for a Supreme Court nominee during an election year. The Kentucky Republican has held up the Vice President's comments to defend Senate Republicans' refusal to consider Garland's nomination.

"Apparently there's yet a new standard now, which is to not confirm a Supreme Court nominee at all," McConnell said, adding: "I think that's something the American people simply will not tolerate, and we'll be looking forward to receiving a Supreme Court nomination and moving forward on it."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mcconnell-public-will-not-tolerate-dems-blocking-scotus-pick-n703301

Words fail me.

Dartastic

Obama should have appointed Merrick Garland during the senate recess. Fuck Mitch McConnell, that fucking tortoise looking fuck.

"The American people will not tolerate the very thing we have been doing."

Clearly, Mitch isn't terribly aware of his constituents' tolerance for stall tactics.

I wonder how he can sleep at night being so blatantly hypocritical.

I also wonder how the American people that support him can be so fucking stupid.

legacyzero

Banned
And of course they're going to obstruct like fuck. And I say good on them, as hypocritical as it might sound. I can only imagine the dim shit Trump would like to try and put in there.

Saganator

I hate that guy just a little bit less than Trump.

The thing that bothers me the most about current day GOP is how they insult my intelligence with their BS. This guy especially. It's so blatant.

OceanBlue

Conservatives will just rationalize this as letting the people decide through the presidential election, like what Republicans were saying during the election. We can be as upset as we want about how hypocritical this is but this will seem completely reasonable to conservatives.

I hate that guy just a little bit less than Trump.

The thing that bothers me the most about current day GOP is how they insult my intelligence with their BS. This guy especially. It's so blatant.

They're not insulting your intelligence at all, they're preying on the people that are either too ignorant or stupid to realize what the GOP does.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Xe4

Banned
Go fuck yourself asshole. Jesus, the hipocracy is staggering.

Democrats have this thing called the soul, so don't expect them to block for four years, but that doesn't mean you can shove some anti abortion anti gay marrage fuck in the Supreme Court and expect the DNC to be ok with it.

He's not wrong. Now that the roles are reversed, people won't tolerate it at all.

He already knows he's a hypocrite. He just doesn't care, and all the power that his party has justifies that position.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Branduil

Conservatives will just rationalize this as letting the people decide through the presidential election, like what Republicans were saying during the election. We can be as upset as we want about how hypocritical this is but this will seem completely reasonable to conservatives.

More people voted against Trump than for. Democrats need to point this out every time.

Told you both sides are the same. Look at democrats using the same dirty tricks as Republicans.

Why won't democrats just bend over backwards?

There was no senate recess, McConnell kept holding pro forma sessions specifically to block that.

McConnell is such a massive fucking hypocrite. I mean the whole GOP is. And before anyone accuses Democrats of doing the same thing, I think holding hearings for Trump SCOTUS nominees is fine and dandy, which the Senate GOP did not do for Garland. If Garland had received hearings and was voted down, that would have been another thing.

As long as the three-fifths requirement is in place, there is a need for Trump and the GOP to go with someone reasonable and moderate if they want Democratic votes. They should not be expected to rubber stamp any right-wing lunatic Trump puts up, and frankly if they cave I'll be very disappointed.

Loxley

Fuck off McConnell, get back in your shell.

UZGjcPb.jpg
mSR8Gd1.jpg

hJsiWkI.jpg
tWUDi7q.jpg

yeFj2TU.jpg
glHPhtP.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I thought that was Ted Cruz.
Ted Cruz is disgusting and awful, but I think I hate Mitch McConnell more. As despicable as Cruz's personality and ideology is, it seems that McConnell's hypocrisy just gets to me even more somehow. Plus, McConnell has far more power to do harm.

Optics

Because Republicans would cry out that Obamas being unfair

Maybe Obama thinks if he plays nice, Trump won't utterly destroy everything he's done.

It's a mystery why Obama doesn't do things that he should.
I can't believe this would be the real reason. There has to be a reason why he just couldn't do that, right? o_O

Eidan

Optics

Because Republicans would cry out that Obamas being unfair

Maybe Obama thinks if he plays nice, Trump won't utterly destroy everything he's done.

It's a mystery why Obama doesn't do things that he should.
Obama really is a centrist who believes in preserving the integrity of our institutions, even when his opponents don't, and they screw him time and time again. Obama has never been willing to play dirty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Obama really is a centrist who believes in preserving the integrity of our institutions, even when his opponents don't, and they screw him time and time again. Obama has never been willing to play dirty.

This right here. There are a whole host of things Obama should have done, at least according to a great many of us who voted for him. He chose to stick with his convictions and play it clean. I can respect his integrity even if I don't agree that those decisions were best for the country.

But you did that.....

And yet they defended almost every single one of their Senate seats in this past election. I'm sure they will argue that they have a mandate.

norm9

I agree with him. It's a shame when they did it, and will continue to be a shame (slightly less so depending on the shit nominee Trump plans on putting up there) when democrats do it. But that's the game they play.

Maxim726X

To the victors go the spoils.

Tough shit. Reid pulled the same shit not that long ago- The Republicans gambled and won.

Unless the pick is egregious, the Dems shouldn't get in the way.

To the victors go the spoils.

Tough shit. Reid pulled the same shit not that long ago- The Republicans gambled and won.

The pick is going to be egregious, Dems shouldn't roll over when their competition didn't do shit when they extended them an olive branch of a moderate. Especially when Garland is going to be almost assuredly an objectively better pick then whatever Trump puts forth.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
One, the pick is absolutely going to be egregious.

Two, I don't want the Dems to just lie down and take it with as much at stake as there is on the Supreme Court. They fucking will, though.

We are so fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom