• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell now says American people will not tolerate blocking Supreme Court nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.
wy3S80e.gif

Maxim726X

The pick is going to be egregious, Dems shouldn't roll over when their competition didn't do shit when they extended them an olive branch of a moderate. Especially when Garland is going to be almost assuredly an objectively better pick then whatever Trump puts forth.

No argument here, Garland was absolutely a fair pick by Obama.

But, Trump won the election and his gamble (and man was it a gamble based on all the data we had at the time) paid off.

What, are the Dems not going to swear in a replacement for Scalia for the next 4 years? They're screwed.

ezrarh

The more our federal institutions become a joke the closer we are to just simply dismantling much of it. I suppose that's what they want.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Uh, so why don't they confirm the current nominee from from the sitting president at the time of the vacancy?!

Of course the media would never throw that back into his face.

>(

Morts

I would think the last year has shown that the American people are actually pretty tolerant of blocking Supreme Court nominees.

I should probably think about completely disengaging from current events for the sake of my mental health.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Uh, so why don't they confirm the current nominee from from the sitting president at the time of the vacancy?!

Of course the media would never throw that back into his face.

>(

They'd scream LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS and the American public will buy it, hook line and sinker.

The media of this country is more worried about looking "biased" instead of doing investigative journalism, and the American people have bought in this idea that there are "both sides to every story" when sometimes, one side is just spitting out bullshit, but Americans are too scared to call people out on it.

But, Trump won the election and his gamble (and man was it a gamble based on all the data we had at the time) paid off.

What, are the Dems not going to swear in a replacement for Scalia for the next 4 years? They're screwed.
If it's possible in any capacity they better try. I'd like to see civil rights and political campaigns not regressed another 30 years.

The country's foundation failed to protect a demagogue when it needed it most, fuck that. All we've gotta do at this point is resist to bullshit as best as possible, playing along doesn't work with these fuckers and is just gonna create a whole lot of misery.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I would think the last year has shown that the American people are actually pretty tolerant of blocking Supreme Court nominees.

I should probably think about completely disengaging from current events for the sake of my mental health.

Tolerant of blocking nominees in general or tolerant of blocking Obama's nominees? I'm sure the GOP will claim the latter.

I can't believe this would be the real reason. There has to be a reason why he just couldn't do that, right? o_O

He could've realistically done that. During the recess, appoint Garland, and atleast for a while Garland would have to be a temporary Supreme Judge. But he didn't. That's why a couple weeks ago, you had people hypothesizing that Obama could've installed Garland in without being blocked.

He didn't. Maybe Obama is more Centrist, maybe his integrity stopped him. I commend him for the latter, but really when your opponent plays dirty, you have to dirty yourselves up.

Velcro Fly

Congress is fucking worthless. They do whatever they want with no consequence because most of the voting public in this country is incredibly stupid.

I hope the seat stays vacant until 2020. Those Republican cunts don't deserve any cooperation whatsoever. Let the government grind to a halt if necessary.

Ourobolus

Banned

Trump's pick for SCOTUS would have far-reaching effects after the four years he'll be in office. It's only fair that we wait.

faisal233

Dems can't obstruct for 4 years, but they can sure as hell obstruct until the gerrymandering case is done. I don't believe McConnell will touch the filibuster, they have no control of the crazies in the house as the OCE fiasco has shown us. McConnell needs the filibuster to protect the GOP for the batshit crazy.

Euron

I wonder how he can sleep at night being so blatantly hypocritical.

I also wonder how the American people that support him can be so fucking stupid.
1. Because his party won and has more power now than ever before

2. Because "he isn't a liberal" and those are the people who actually come out to vote

These people don't care about improving America, they just want to make sure their own party wins and they themselves gain power no matter what the cost.

I suspect if Democrats stonewall, GOP will attempt to extend the nuclear option to SC nominees. Changing from 3/5 to simple majority was a huge mistake. If GOP doesn't do it during Trump's term(s), Democrats will during their next presidency. I think it's bound to happen eventually.

LiK

To the victors go the spoils.

Tough shit. Reid pulled the same shit not that long ago- The Republicans gambled and won.

Unless the pick is egregious, the Dems shouldn't get in the way.

Trump has been picking shitbags for everything so it'll be egregious.

I saw Paul Ryan on CNBC a couple weeks ago giddily lamenting that Washington was full of people who just want to drag their heels, and how the Republicans were looking forward to finally cutting through the gridlock. It felt like I was being lobotomized through the TV by his weird dead-eyed enthusiasm.

Kettch

And of course they're going to obstruct like fuck. And I say good on them, as hypocritical as it might sound. I can only imagine the dim shit Trump would like to try and put in there.

Not all that relevant to your post, but tit for tat isn't hypocritical.

All Presidents being allowed to appoint Supreme Court nominees or no Presidents being allowed to is a consistent position.

Just mentioning this because I'm sure Republicans will try to paint it that way to obscure their own clear hypocrisy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
a reference to comments then-Sen. Joe Biden made in 1992 arguing against holding confirmation hearings for a Supreme Court nominee during an election year.

The irony is palpable here. I didn't remember this.

megalowho

I sincerely hope that when all is said and done, Mitch McConnell takes his rightful place in the history books as one of the biggest slimeballs to ever set foot on Capitol Hill.

But he's wrong, people will tolerate it. Nobody cares. Obstruct away for as long as you can, Dems.

Fox Mulder

Republicans are such incredible pieces of shit.

They just got rewarded the entire candy store after years of unprecedented obstructionism. They play by their own rules and can seemingly spin anything in their favor.

I'm jealous really. Dems care more about the "they go low, we go high" bullshit.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
These motherfuckers weren't the same guys who blocked Obama, from being able to do his presidential duty in nominating a Supreme Court Justice? Is this what living in the Twilight Zone feels like?

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-TeGC.gif

Democrats have no backbone if they don't stall Trump's Supreme Court pick for all 4 years. Let this be the thing they finally showcase a spine on. Use it as a lesson that when you deny a President of the United States a Supreme Court pick for an entire year, not even having the decency to sit down and meet with the man privately, there are consequences in the form of payback.

Majority of Republicans not even being willing to sit down with the man privately is what gets me the most. I consider that a stolen Supreme Court Pick that the Republican Party does not deserve. I say we stay at 8 Supreme Court Justices all 4 years of Trump's Presidency, and ONLY if he wins re-election does he get a pick.

This is the new norm and the Republican Party started it. Hold firm, Democrats. They can't win enough Senate seats to have 60 votes. Stall their asses.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Great Mitch, glad you've come around. Now lets go ahead and get Garland confirmed seeing as how Obama is still in office.

Blader

McConnell set this precedent. The American people clearly have a high tolerance for obstruction for years on end.

Not

Banned
Mitch McConnell, if you look at it a certain way, may be singlehandedly responsible for the next two decades of horseshit we're about to go through. Give or take.

That qualifies him as one of American history's significant villains in my opinion.

Geist-

These GOP fuckers are the ones who set the precedent. If they don't want to play it bipartisan, fuck it, let's do 4 more years of gridlock.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not surprising. Doublethink is pretty much what the GOP runs on. Fuck over everyone then talk about how wrong it would be for anyone to do the same thing to you.

This is how authoritarians think. They make the rules, they say what is red and what is green, they get to do what would be wrong for anyone else to do.

Told you both sides are the same. Look at democrats using the same dirty tricks as Republicans.

Why won't democrats just bend over backwards?

They said they would go for someone good... ie someone probably right of center.

They aren't the fucking GOP who pretty much said no to anyone at all.

They aren't the same stop equating and read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom