• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds Opens First North American Standalone "McCafe" in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty4all

Banned
mccafe.jpg

Is this the answer to McDonald's woes? They are going "all in" on the coffee/breakfast concept. I wonder if mccafes would work stateside?

McDonald’s Canada is taking on Tim Hortons and Starbucks in one go by opening standalone versions of its successful McCafé concept in highly-trafficked areas of Toronto — the first outlets of their kind in North America.

The veteran fast-food chain has made serious inroads into Canada’s restaurant coffee market since reformulating its classic brewed coffee blend in 2008, and in 2011 began expanding its McCafé concept, which sells coffee, espresso drinks, baked goods and smoothies, into 1,200 of its 1,400 restaurants across the country.

But the new outlets, opening Wednesday in the commuter hub of Toronto’s Union Station and in January inside the highly trafficked downtown Exchange Tower, represent a bold step for McDonald’s Canada, which has managed to escape the sales troubles faced by its U.S. counterpart, due in no small part to the burgeoning growth of its coffee and breakfast business. The new standalone locations will be rolled out across Canada if they perform well, and could stand to meaningfully grow the mature chain’s market share.

In addition to its fast-growing category of coffee, the standalone McCafés will have an entirely new lineup of soups, salads, cold and hot sandwiches and bagels, as well as baked goods. It also has an ace up its sleeve that answers a longtime consumer demand — all-day servings of its four varieties of McDonald’s Egg McMuffins.

Full article at link: http://business.financialpost.com/n...n-toronto-and-it-serves-egg-mcmuffins-all-day

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
They have McCafes in Singapore. Their coffees are a step above their regular fare. Starbucks quality and cheaper in price to boot. You can also get chicken sandwiches and pastries. They are pretty decent for the price.

Tizoc

Question about Mickey Ds over there in the North Americas
Do any of the outlets have those computer point of sales where you make your order via the screen then pay with card or at the counter?

GavinGT

Banned
Do any of the outlets have those computer point of sales where you make your order via the screen then pay with card or at the counter?

Not that I know of, but I haven't actually been inside a McDonald's in forever.

nomis

Considering that a cup of mccafe tastes about five times better than a cup of regular tim hortons, I wish them good luck.

If a standalone eventually makes it to my town, it's gonna be a regular stop of mine for a 10:30pm egg mcmuffin.

Liberty4all

Banned
Considering that a cup of mccafe tastes about five times better than a cup of regular tim hortons, I wish them good luck.

If a standalone eventually makes it to my town, it's gonna be a regular stop of mine for a 10:30pm egg mcmuffin.

Yeah I've switched completely from Tim hortons to McDonald's coffee in the morning. It not only tastes better but your 8th one is free.

Dileas

Yes, I've seen one of these in Toronto.

_Clash_

Dime a dozen here in Oz.

Cafes for people who have a MacDonalds allegiance basically, no reason to go there if you want to enjoy the ambience and enjoy an artisanal brewed coffee that's for sure.

danowat

Banned
It all tastes the same to me, if I want a cup of something hot and wet, and don't want to pay the ridiculous prices in the big coffee chains, McD's is fine.

successful McCafé? Really, I rarely see anyone in the ones that are in McDonalds restaurants. They always seems to be a non commit all way of taking on Starbucks and nobody wants to go to McDonalds t have a coffee. It's just not trendy enough.

AMUSIX

This is an exaggeration like Dunkin Donuts and "burnt" Starbucks coffee by people who don't know any better

wrong, McDonalds makes a better simple black coffee than Starbucks. And, yes, Starbucks does overroast their coffee, resulting in it being bitter, and the accurate 'burnt' criticism.

If people want a good cup of coffee, there are plenty of other good chains out there (Peets, etc)

potam

Banned
successful McCafé? Really, I rarely see anyone in the ones that are in McDonalds restaurants. They always seems to be a non commit all way of taking on Starbucks and nobody wants to go to McDonalds t have a coffee. It's just not trendy enough.

I'd imagine their primary business model (at least for the ones in restaurants) targets people on their way to work, not the people who want to go and hang out in a coffee shop.

Kozak

Banned
I love my local maccas McCafe.

My sister works there so I know and trust the cafe employees.

Nothing like a tomato cheese and tall Cap for breakfast.

Busty

Banned
If they undercut the 'gourmet' coffee outlets like Starbucks etc they could do well. While they do of course have their customer base there are others that don't want to pay a premium for coffee and these McCafes could then 'upsell' them other items.

I don't actually mind McDonalds coffee even though others I know wouldn't be caught dead getting just a coffee from McD's even if there was no other option.

It all tastes the same to me, if I want a cup of something hot and wet, and don't want to pay the ridiculous prices in the big coffee chains, McD's is fine.

Brazzers
to open a chain of themed coffee shops confirmed.

Monocle

McDonald's $1 coffee is OK. Used to be much better.

McDonald's makes good, cheap coffee. And the best part is I don't have to go into a Starbuck's.
Irrational Starbucks hate is dumb. Get a good strong dark blend like Gold Coast or one of the premium blends and have it run through a Clover machine, if possible. Otherwise get an Americano. Assuming you like rich dark coffee, you won't have much reason to complain.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They might work if they aren't horrible like everything else McDonalds does.

I actually rather enjoy their breakfast menu, the turkey sandwiches in particular.

Actually in blind taste tests it beats almost every mainstream coffee chain. I agree - they serve good coffee.

I agree their coffee is surprisingly good, you'd expect it to be all kinds of bitter but it's actually fairly smooth

Des0lar

will learn eventually
McDonald's $1 coffee is OK. Used to be much better.

Irrational Starbucks hate is dumb. Get a good strong dark blend like Gold Coast or one of the premium blends and have it run through a Clover machine, if possible. Otherwise get an Americano. Assuming you like rich dark coffee, you won't have much reason to complain.

It's not irrational when Starbucks is like double the price of McD here.

Sandfox

This could be smart on their part. I would defintely stop by a McCafe more than Starbucks since I'm not too big a fan of how their coffee tastes.

Monocle

It's not irrational when Starbucks is like double the price of McD here.
You get what you pay for. In my experience McDonald's coffee is only good if it's very fresh. OTOH, my local Starbucks is really consistent no matter what time of day I pop in. I've had occasional issues at other locations, but they're still more reliable than McDonald's.
Really strong recommendation there, lol.

You've clearly never been to a McDonalds at 8 in the morning.

KorrZ

Cool. McDonalds generally makes pretty good coffee. There is one right across the street from my work so I go fairly often in the morning and it's always packed with people snagging coffees.

It's no Starbucks that's for sure, but it's also about a 1/3rd of the price lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom